BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  10    12    14  15
Author: Subject: MISION SANTA MARIA MAY 29, 2010, LET'S DO IT AGAIN!
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 6-6-2010 at 07:49 AM

See http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=46102&pag...

for post after I got home.
Neal

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
hbmurphy
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2010 at 09:39 AM

Neal - Did you release the heilium out of your camper? ...and I want a re-match of the race out of the bog!
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 6-6-2010 at 10:05 AM

Ken Cooke
Yep, the Tacoma is weight overloaded. Due to that, over the last 11 years carrying a pop-top camper, I have two rear wheel bearing failures.

This trip is the first time a ring and pinion has given any trouble.
The tie rods bindings were a result of the short tow strap necessitated by the sharp turns in the road and the rocks hit as a result of limited steering and my incompetence.

hbmurphy
That was no race, it was a Turtle Mud Crawl.
Helium? It was filled with hot air. :lol::lol::lol:

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-6-2010 at 02:54 PM

One thing for sure Ken, nobody was in 2WD in there!!! :yes::spingrin:

Well, I take that back... while Neal was in '4WD' on his transfer case, coming out he was a FRONT wheel drive Tacoma after the ring and pinion blew out, and he removed the drive shaft!

[Edited on 6-6-2010 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 6-6-2010 at 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
One thing for sure Ken, nobody was in 2WD in there!!! :yes::spingrin:

Well, I take that back... while Neal was in '4WD' on his transfer case, coming out he was a FRONT wheel drive Tacoma after the ring and pinion blew out, and he removed the drive shaft!

[Edited on 6-6-2010 by David K]

While I was exploring the borderlands with my wife Leidys this weekend, I was thinking about Neal and his Tacoma. I even saw a previous-generation Tacoma (w/Camper) on the I-5 traveling northbound, but it wasn't him. Good to hear he made it home!

surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2010 at 05:51 PM

That "bog" looks worse than the hill climbs.

Did the mud wash off itself or get dried on ? In either case what a mess.
edm1
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2010 at 07:37 PM

Quote:

Did the mud wash off itself or get dried on ? In either case what a mess.

Surprisingly, the mud must have washed off itself; I checked the undercarriage of my motorhome this weekend and NO MUD.

Instead I found many loose things and a cracked panhard bar mount and braces up front. Tighetened them and a few beads of weld and I'm ready for Shell Island. My mudguards still need straightening; my rear bumper is 5 inches higher now, with the fiberglass rear quarters trimmed to an angle pointing to the higher rear bumper.

Art

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2010 at 06:30 PM

You have one of those 'self-cleaning' 4WD vans!

My rear bumper is almost back to where it started... self repairing bumper (with memory in the steel... what will Toyota think of next???)!:lol::rolleyes::light:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Steve in Oro Valley
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2010 at 11:27 AM

Very interesting trip report...

Was that a Pacific tree frog you caught on camera?

After my life experiences with water in bearings and axles and with overloaded suvs, I would be very happy to walk the last 2 miles or so to explore close up and perhaps sneek up on some wildlife...

In the cool seasons of Baja Arizona, I make it a practice of driving to remote canyons and mountains and putting in about 8-10 miles per week hiking ...

But I understand the pull of being one with the suv and testing the limits of machinery.....

Thanks for the great pictures of the blue palms and dodder covered copalquines...

Steve in Oro Valley
Cyanide41
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2010 at 11:00 AM

Aw crap! How the hell did I miss this? I mean not only did I miss the event, I missed the entire thread! Looks like a good time, sorry I missed it.
hbmurphy
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2010 at 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve in Oro Valley
Very interesting trip report...

Was that a Pacific tree frog you caught on camera?

After my life experiences with water in bearings and axles and with overloaded suvs, I would be very happy to walk the last 2 miles or so to explore close up and perhaps sneek up on some wildlife...

In the cool seasons of Baja Arizona, I make it a practice of driving to remote canyons and mountains and putting in about 8-10 miles per week hiking ...

But I understand the pull of being one with the suv and testing the limits of machinery.....

Thanks for the great pictures of the blue palms and dodder covered copalquines...

Steve in Oro Valley

Frog
I don't know what kind of frog it was! ?

Water Damage
For those of you that have not modified your rear breather like this:

You may want to change out your diff lube. If it is a limited slip differential - remember to use the right gear lube or your rear will chatter and I am not talking about the green house gas type!

On most Toyotas (I am partial) the front breather is located near or above the same vertical hieght as the intake so, you should be good there.

This lube change is cheap insurance to a long differential life.

If you are interested in making your truck more swamp proof, look at this thread...

Diff Breather Mod

[Edited on 6-9-2010 by hbmurphy]

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2010 at 11:47 AM

Um, Paul... Since I was as much underwater as you... Is the diff. fluid change something I need to have done (soon)?

hbmurphy
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2010 at 11:55 AM

After taking a short bath…

This truck's front differential looked like this about 100 miles later. I place the blame on 4WheelParts for not putting the breather back on the front diff housing….

Unrelated to Mud but still interesting regarding breaking a ring and pinion...
This is what my gear looked like after I wheeled 10 miles in reverese after breaking the first time...

climbing this wall at Aftershock (Hammers - Johnson Valley)

so, I realize that many may think "I go through stuff like that all the time." For a little work you can protect your truck from falling victim to a contaminated diff.

Steve in Oro Valley
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2010 at 02:00 PM

Good info on diff vent tubes!

About 2 months ago I drove on a remote 4wd trail in Fresnal Canyon ( Baboquivari Mtns on the reservation side SW of Tucson) and went thru water (less than 18 inches on hard substrate) several times and a little later I could smell that cooking lube grease smell when the breeze shifted.....

It occurred that I may have sucked in some water into the axle differentials and the smell was venting out as it heated up....

I have a 99 Cherokee 4X4 with a Detroit "soft" locker in the rear...

Does that smell of burning diff lube indicate that I may have to repack all the bearings and change out all the lubes??

What is your experience?

Steve in Oro Valley
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 6-9-2010 at 03:13 PM

A simple check of your diff fluid can be made by unscrewing the plug and looking inside with a flashlite, or take a sample, or both--------if the lube is milky it is contaminated and needs to be changed out pronto. If it is clear with no clouding, then it is probably ok.

If in doubt, just change it with the PROPER fluid. (very cheap insurance)

Barry
CG
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2010 at 03:39 PM

I had my diff oil changed when I got back just to make sure. I didn't have any water in there & I was in there longer than the other trucks. You guys might want to check to make sure, but it usually only gets in when you sit in the water for a time rather than just driving through.

I'm going to make sure my breather tubes are run up better anyways just to be ready for next time!

I had the whole inside of my car cleaned to get the muddy water out. They took out the seats and lifted the carpeting to make sure they got it all:o

When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle. Edmund Burke
Baja12valve
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2010 at 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve in Oro Valley
Good info on diff vent tubes!

About 2 months ago I drove on a remote 4wd trail in Fresnal Canyon ( Baboquivari Mtns on the reservation side SW of Tucson) and went thru water (less than 18 inches on hard substrate) several times and a little later I could smell that cooking lube grease smell when the breeze shifted.....

It occurred that I may have sucked in some water into the axle differentials and the smell was venting out as it heated up....

I have a 99 Cherokee 4X4 with a Detroit "soft" locker in the rear...

Does that smell of burning diff lube indicate that I may have to repack all the bearings and change out all the lubes??

What is your experience?

Steve in Oro Valley

If you have a lot of water in the oil, the oil will look like a foamy coffee milkshake. The water will emulsify into the oil and cause it will lose all lubricity. If it is like that , change it, drive on it for a few days and change it again until it is clear. If you do it soon enough, all bearings and other parts will be OK.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2010 at 04:10 PM

I actually does not take much water-----a tablespoon of water will foul up things royally.

Barry
edm1
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2010 at 08:16 PM

Changed all fluids this weekend - tranny, xfer case, front/rear diff - except engine oil (I changed oil before the trip) and steering fluid. Also repacked all wheel bearings. There wasn't any sign of oil, but what the heck I already opened the hubs to check for water, may as well repack them.

My breather tubes are both above the frame rails so I think that's good enough. My front differential was a little overfilled during the trip, and it vented probably a pint on the trail (CG thought it was steering fluid).

Also having the two tires re-mounted/balanced this weekend (the two that we had to reseat the beads - I'm sure there's dirt and maybe water (or worse gasoline :-) inside. May as well have the rest of the wheels rebalanced (lost many chunks of the tires). And be ready for Shell Island soon.

[Edited on 6-10-2010 by edm1]

Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2010 at 08:28 PM

Well done, edm 1-----------:yes:

A sure way to eliminate residual gasoline in the tire is to use the Neal John's method-------a match to the valve stem. Tried and true. :lol: I like it!!!

(disclaimer: don't do this at home)

Barry
 Pages:  1  ..  10    12    14  15

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.