BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  5    7    9  ..  15
Author: Subject: MISION SANTA MARIA MAY 29, 2010, LET'S DO IT AGAIN!
BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

Mood: Helpful

[*] posted on 5-31-2010 at 08:55 PM

Our staff at BajaCactus helped getting the parts needed in San Quintin... they were delivered a couple of hours ago to CG, who is staying at our Motel tonight (Monday 31st).

He plans to take them to Neal tomorrow morning as early as possible... Neal has everything he needs in his vehicle to enjoy a nice moon out in the desert... I kind on envy him.

I hope everything goes well tomorrow with the repairs.

BajaCactus

[Edited on 6-5-2010 by BajaCactus]

BajaCactus
"Where Baja is so much more than a dream..."
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 5-31-2010 at 09:05 PM

This all rings a bell (deja vue??)--------Neil, Mexico, and front end problems. I do hope all goes well, and look forward to the tale of grief we all know is coming, and the humor of Neal..

Thanks for keeping us informed, Antonio.

Viva Neal Johns!!!!

Barry
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 5-31-2010 at 09:14 PM
CG to the rescue!!

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaCactus
Our staff at BajaCactus helped getting the parts needed in San Quintin... they were delivered a couple of hours ago to CG, who is staying at our Motel tonight (Monday 31st).

Neil is in very good hands. I feel bad for Neil having to go through this. Independent Front Suspensions are prone to this type of failure - Toyota's are no exception.

When I bought my Rubicon in 2003, I purchased it for the reason that I want(ed) to see all that Baja can provide without the worry of vehicle failure. I do respect the capability of the Toyota Tacoma, but for the same amount of money, I would purchase a JK Unlimited Rubicon - a damn capable Baja vehicle without the quirks associated with IFS - Inferior Front Suspensions.

classicbajabronco
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2010 at 10:22 PM

Make that toyota a wheelin' machine....get a torch, cut off the IFS and swap in a solid axle from a pre-85 toyota, that with a set of Chevy leafs up front...(see ALLPRO offroad for conversion kits), add a locker, ...and it'd be baja Heep eater on the steep stuff with the long wheelbase, it'd also be able to carry more cargo than a Heep. And it'd be better on gas, as well as have a better ride.

Modified Toyota's go anywhere a modified Heeps will, even more when it gets steep, as the Heep will flip on it's lid whereas the Toy with the longer wheelbase won't..but then again you wouldn't be in a Cult!!
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2010 at 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by classicbajabronco
Make that toyota a wheelin' machine....get a torch, cut off the IFS and swap in a solid axle from a pre-85 toyota, that with a set of Chevy leafs up front...(see ALLPRO offroad for conversion kits), add a locker, ...and it'd be baja Heep eater on the steep stuff with the long wheelbase, it'd also be able to carry more cargo than a Heep. And it'd be better on gas, as well as have a better ride.

Modified Toyota's go anywhere a modified Heeps will, even more when it gets steep, as the Heep will flip on it's lid whereas the Toy with the longer wheelbase won't..but then again you wouldn't be in a Cult!!

My previous Heep was a Ford. I bought the Jeep, starting hosting runs in Baja, and I was approached by Jeepers Jamboree to sell my runs, and lead them as an employee. That was before the Narco violence began...:(

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2010 at 10:42 PM
Fords make great Baja 'wheeling machines

CG build one big bad Explorer...

CG on the Baja Pole Line Road

The problem with CGs Explorer was the I.F.S. could not hold up to the 35" Creepy Crawler tires. So, one build-up later, CG was literally unstoppable.

CG on the rocks in Tecate

Here's a nice closeup of the Explorer

classicbajabronco
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2010 at 10:54 PM

What was the axle that CG swapped in?

Damn just look at all those dangling wires...Another good thing about old rigs. There is a shortage of unnecessary items.

I guess that exploder was built a few years ago, when rollers were the big thing. I notice there is one welded to the rear bumper. Only problem is it really hurts your departure angle with it being installed, as it hands down about 5"

you don't see that many rollers these days.

That front end looks very nice and sturdy...nice work. Is that just a steering Stabilizer or a hydraulic setup?

[Edited on 6-1-2010 by classicbajabronco]
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2010 at 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by classicbajabronco
What was the axle that CG swapped in?

That front end looks very nice and sturdy...nice work. Is that just a steering Stabilizer or a hydraulic setup?

D44 w/Chrome Moly axles

There is a hydraulic ram assist, bump stops, all the good stuff. It was built by Willy's Off Road, Playas de Tijuana. This rig received a 3rd and final buildup before being parted out, and sold. Some of the parts made it to CGs YJ Rockcrawler before being sold entirely. CG will probably show you pictures of his new project that he ran on Mission Impossible when he makes it back from helping my friend Neil.

surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2010 at 08:57 AM

No news from the Mission trip yet....?
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 6-1-2010 at 08:58 AM

what happened? some one broke down?
no sat phone with them?

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2010 at 09:23 AM

Neal Johns Toyota broke down with front tie-rod problems about 8 miles from Catavina----------lots of folks working on it tho, so no real emergency--------

we are all waiting for this mornings report-------

Barry
hbmurphy
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2010 at 12:04 PM

He will also be needing a third member...

The tie rod popping was just a matter of being tugged out of the canyon. We had already adjusted the tie rod ends quite a bit just to get rid of a nasty toe out condition from the tugging.

The reason he was being tugged was because he toasted a ring an pinion on his way out. He disconnected the drive shaft in an attempt to get a front-wheel drive truck - but he still has that nasty clunk when he hits that part of the ring.

IIRC he has an 03 off road. I don't know if it is a locker or an 8.4.

I wish him the best! He is a great guy!
classicbajabronco
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2010 at 12:35 PM

great time for an SAS (solid axle swap) your truck will be much better offroad!!

Con mucho suerte amigo!
classicbajabronco
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2010 at 12:37 PM

Ken,

That front axle running Radius arms, what was it swapped out of a Bronco perhaps?
BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

Mood: Helpful

[*] posted on 6-1-2010 at 02:34 PM
Repairs...

CG left from BajaCactus this morning (Tuesday) with all the parts needed to fix Neal's vehicle. He estimated at least a day to make all the necessary repairs... if they succeed, they should be back tomorrow Wednesday.

Regarding food and supplies Neal said not to worry... he has enough to last a couple of weeks... he is a wise man, prepared for anything.

Our staff at BajaCactus is on standby, ready to help should they require any assistance.

BajaCactus

[Edited on 6-5-2010 by BajaCactus]

BajaCactus
"Where Baja is so much more than a dream..."
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 6-1-2010 at 03:30 PM

Chris (CG) with me as a passenger left the mission in the lead with Neal following. The rest of the gang were an hour or so behind us since they had gone to look at petroglyphs. Between the mission and the bog there is a short but steep uphill which we cleared but soon heard Neal on the CB reporting a driveline failure of some sort. We went back to him and found that his rear differential (locker) was making a very ugly noise and partially hanging up every revolution or two. The rear drive shaft was removed and the truck put in 4wd/low range to become front wheel drive only. After making sure that the rear wheel wasn't coming off, a tow strap was hooked from CG's Dakota to Neal's truck and we towed and winched through the bog and uphill to an area where everyone could gather and there was room to get off the trail. At that point the plan was to attempt to tow Neal out to Cataviņa.

I caught a ride out from that point with Steve and his wife in their 4-Runner as did Bajabucko. I had been feeling quite ill from Sat evening and was worse on Sunday and I found out this morning that I have an upper respiratory infection. Since I was feeling bad and as a passenger had brought in very limited food and water I was not going to be able to make a positive contribution to the recovery effort. At that point there were 4 remaining vehicles besides Neal. David K, Art, CG, and Paul all pretty well equiped. When I left the group Neal's truck didn't have any front suspension problem but in towing him over the uphill rough rocky sections there was a tremendous amount of strain and impact on his truck and this was with the Widowmaker and other tough spots yet to come.

I'm hoping that besides getting front end parts that they were able to diagnose the diff problem and bring parts to replace it so Neal can drive out. I figured that towing and winching would be a two day project.

This was a good group of people, I enjoyed meeting everyone. It is a spectacular place and one I would like to return to and spend a few days.

Like everyone else here I am anxious to hear what happened after I left the group. CG made it clear that he would make a parts run and do whatever was needed to get Neal going again and David K expressed the same. CG is a very skilled off-roader and his Dakota is well set up and performed very nicely. Art's Monster Motor Home was a fantastic performer and an amazing piece of machinery and Art is a very determined and capable driver. I'm sure that David will do a complete post with pics of that motor home doing amazing things. At the other end of the spectrum was Steve's stock 4-Runner with no locking differential and regular tires that made the trip in and out with no problem. He said it was "just luck" but he is a skilled driver and did a superb job.

Even with getting ill and all I'm glad I made the trip. The road is as tough as described and the scenery outstanding.
Kurt
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2010 at 04:16 PM

Thank you very much, Kurt----------and the "widowmaker" still lies ahead for Neil--------Oh boy!!!!! that will be a huge pucker factor ride. That locker blowing up is sure food for thought----------tough road, for sure.

Barry
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-1-2010 at 04:32 PM

Hi Gang... some news was already posted, but this is what I know right now (~4pm TUE)...

First off: Neal was totally okay and insisted on staying with his camper. I called Marian (Mrs. Neal J.) this morning (we got in just before midnight last night, MON)... and she is fine with the news and got the messages from people I called from El Rosario.

Neal's SAT. PHONE worked this (TUE) morning and he talked to Marian and he was fine and she told Neal that CG was on his way with the tie rod ends... Neal's SAT phone didn't work when we were with him Monday morning before driving out (note: avoid Globalstar and get Iridium instead)... Glad to hear he got through to Marian 24 hours later.

Baja Cactus (Antonio) was awesome as ever, and provided an employee to go with CG to find the parts for Neal's truck... and is providing rooms for Neal and CG when they return to freshen up and rest before either of them drive home. BAJA NOMAD members rock!

NEW MEMBER 'hbmurphy' (Paul) rocks BIG TIME... I 'met' him over on the Tacoma World Forums and his skills and off road rock crawling and mechanic know-how really made it possible for us to get in and out from the mission.

The other big gold star goes to edm-1 (Art) who's mechanic skillls and driving skills to bring his motorhome in there were amazing. He pulled Neal's camper much of the way out from MSM.

CG (Chris) earns his gold star for being the hero to rescue Neal, as well as towing him and winching him out...

In fact, so many helped to make it be an epic trip, it is hard to not give everyone a mention. Steve and Suly 'bajatripper' were a joy to meet and helped get KurtG and Baja Bucko out (they were both passengers in other vehicles, that couldn't leave, but needed to get out). Steve is the son of our well known 'Bajalera' (Lee) and was someone I hope to camp with again. His wife Suly doesn't speak English, but was a wonderful, happy lady who was a good camper with all the English speakers there.

Baja Bucko sang us a Baja rancher song written by Deborah Johnson... hbmurphy recorded it.

I am getting off track, sorry... so much happened!

Everyone on the trip were all smiles and with good attitude, throughout.

The problems were with Neal's Tacoma ('03 manual tranny)... His popup camper is very heavy, and I am sure if he knew the road was as bad as it was, he wouldn't have attempted it. As stated the rear diff broke, he removed the drive shaft to reduce additional damage and used 4WD to have a front wheel drive only truck.

The weight of the camper required someone to tow or winch Neal up the Widowmaker and the even more difficult grades above. The tie road ends were damaged, and repaired by Paul... but about 1 am coming down from the peninsular divide towards Rancho Santa Ynez a big rock smashed the tie rod end and that was the end of the towing.

A few hours of sleep, and then we continued Monday morning... CG stayed in El Rosario to get the parts (with help from Antonio and his staff) and calls were made to Marian's phone and others who could reach Marian, as I only got her Voice mail.

Today I talked by phone to Marian, Antonio, and Paul and I think the best decisions were made, and I look forward to hearing when CG and Neal Johns arrive at Baja Cactus.

As for the trip report... stay tuned... outside of the breakdown, it was an epic adveture and we have new personal friends that have the Baja spirit and off roader's attitude!

[Edited on 6-2-2010 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2010 at 05:10 PM

Whew!!!!!! that is great news, David. Sounds like they are almost free.

Thank you so much.

Barry
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-1-2010 at 05:12 PM

Over 200 photos I am downloading at high resolution... but until then here is a low res. image of edm-1 taking his motorhome down the Widowmaker!

510msm 084-r.JPG - 48kB

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pages:  1  ..  5    7    9  ..  15

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.