BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  6    8    10  ..  15
Author: Subject: MISION SANTA MARIA MAY 29, 2010, LET'S DO IT AGAIN!
BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

Mood: Helpful

[*] posted on 6-1-2010 at 05:18 PM

Small video uploaded to youtube by "hbmurphy" gives us an idea of their adventure...

Teaser...

Thanks Paul!!.

BajaCactus

[Edited on 6-2-2010 by BajaCactus]

BajaCactus
"Where Baja is so much more than a dream..."
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-1-2010 at 05:29 PM

Yes, the bog was deep...

CG's Dakota...

510msm 212-r.JPG - 48kB

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

edm1
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2010 at 05:44 PM

I know without a doubt Neal will get the situation under control. The steering parts and towing/winching by CG are just the first options. If they don't work, there are other options discussed, one of which is to bring a mechanic to determine the exact parts needed for the broken differential. Then on another turn-around the mechanic and CG could go get those parts and perform the repairs on site. This really is the ultimate option as it will give Neal full control of getting out of the trail - he was the object of my first amazement how he was able to get that camper through the trail, including the Widowmaker, going into the Mision. He is a very capable driver given the functioning equipment. So if the differential and steering are fixed on site, he could get out of there on his own, as there are a few more tough challenges in those 8 miles that towing/winching may not be effective. However, our biggest concern was to get him to pavement if possible.

Anyway, Maria/Maya (my 21-yr old this June 4 daughter who's part of the adventure), just got back home at 5PM, we had to sleep right at the border - border crossing at Tecate closed its door on a few hundred of us who were already lined up. Good that I brought "home" with me :-) It reopened at 5AM and we were within the first 50 to cross.

I stopped over at the Home Depot parking lot in El Centro and took a coulple of hours to assess the damages and do some preventive field repairs/adjustments before proceeding home; damages are mostly lower extremeties, nothing major!

KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 6-1-2010 at 05:55 PM

You have to see Art's rig in action to believe what it can do! It was agreed around the campfire that Art gets the "Brass Balls Award" for this trip. Also must agree with David that this was a very good group of capable people.

David and Elizabeth zoomed directly to the top of my Good Guys List by bringing me glasses of ice cold orange juice when I was feeling poorly. I'm not sure anything has ever tasted so good.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2010 at 06:10 PM

Good to hear from you Art... We were at the Tecate border line from 8:20 pm to 9:50 (1.5 hour wait). Sorry you got trapped at the 11:00 pm shut down. Good (as you say) that you had your home with you! Great to travel with you and the rest of the Nomads!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2010 at 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by KurtG
You have to see Art's rig in action to believe what it can do! It was agreed around the campfire that Art gets the "Brass Balls Award" for this trip. Also must agree with David that this was a very good group of capable people.

David and Elizabeth zoomed directly to the top of my Good Guys List by bringing me glasses of ice cold orange juice when I was feeling poorly. I'm not sure anything has ever tasted so good.

Wish we could have done more to helpyou feel better... but happy to do anything for our friends!

Was bajatripper's 4Runner okay mechanically and traction-wise going out? Without a rear locker or taction control, it can be a challange!

surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2010 at 06:33 PM

So will NEAL be able to drive it home with just front wheel drive after the tie rod end(s) are replaced?

That has to be a LONG tow strap in that video.:o
hbmurphy
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2010 at 06:48 PM

Antonio!

You my friend, are a great man! You place is awesome and your help is WAY above par! Are you attempting to convert me to a Baja Nomad!? It's working!

Thanks!

:spingrin:
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2010 at 06:54 PM

Paul... see the kind of activities Antonio does for his Nomad friends... Chris (CG)and Neal were also there: http://vivabaja.com/vivabajacactus

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2010 at 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by surfer jim
So will NEAL be able to drive it home with just front wheel drive after the tie rod end(s) are replaced?

That has to be a LONG tow strap in that video.:o

I think that will be figured out... a flatbed trailer was also discussed...

The rear diff. needs to be rebuilt at some point as I am not sure if he can drive the nearly 400 miles home with just front wheel drive.

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2010 at 07:09 PM

Wow.... that is a LONG tow strap. So glad that Neal is making his way out of there with so much help along the way.

We are looking forward to more photos and stories from this adventure.

I don't know if I could handle that bog... wow.

Bob H
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 6-1-2010 at 07:14 PM

It's a good thing

That Jana's new FJ is not in yet. That bog would have made her cry!

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

edm1
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2010 at 07:14 PM

My hat off to the Mision Sta Maria 2010 "team" - all awesome personalities - for a wonderful weekend. THANK YOU! These are the people to want to wheel with:

Paul/HBMurphy (no wonder something always goes wrong :-) - the de facto team leader, hard-core 4-wheeler, always have the answers, intelligent, well-educated, experienced. He brought his partner Zum (sp) - very sweet and always asking the correct and interesting questions. Equipped with 2009 Toyota Tacoma with custom bumpers, sliders and shortened bed just so he has the same approach and departure angles.

DK - of course, the team' tour guide and Mision's veteran, full of Baja facts (and fictions) and the one "to blame" for bringing us there. Inseparable with Baja Angel (Elizabeth) - you can't miss their positive aura/karma! Equipped with (almost) brand-new 2010 Toyota Tacoma.

CG - Another veteran 4-wheeler, focused and positive kind of guy, determined! Kept going even after losing one tire, continuing to wheel with his only spare. Chris is the HERO of this epic adventure, being the one who towed Neal the remaining 8 miles, which when put together, are just as tough as the one mile Widowmaker. Equipped with Dodge Dakota with V8 and sliders.

KurtG - hitched a ride in CG's Dodge. Retired ins home electronics sales and has driven (in a small SUV or a motorbike) Baja for many many years. Like DK, he knows the topo of Baja and knows Baja notable poeple.

Neal Johns - 80 years old, as he proclaimed. The voice of experience, husband of the first wife Marian, has many WIWs. A veteran BajaNomad, and invloved in 4-wd desert exploration in California. Provided humor to the team. Source of my first amazement for his ability to get a heavy camper on a small truck through Widowmaker). Equipped with 2003 Toyota Tacoma Camper.

Teddy / Baja Bucko - co-piloted Neal John. Very friendly, makes very good conversations, music lover, and sings, played her guitar under the Baja stars! Could engage my daughter into a conversation. Brought pet German Shepherd Dixie.

Steve/Bajatripper - lives in La Paz, son of Bajalera (as mentined earlier by DK in this thread). Formerly in the US Navy, spent 3 years in the Philippines. Very calm and confident, intelligent, absorbs himself in anthropology. His partner Soli was the only "local" and "host" as she's definetely THE Mexican in the team. Equipped with a stock Toyota 4Runner - the the source of my second amazement he was climbing like he had lockers.

Art / edm1 - DIY kind of guy. Novice at 4-wheeling; still working after all these 30-some years as director of IT software professionals.Did mostly the listening and laughing at the jokes. Brought daughter Maria/Maya doing summer break from Syracuse U. Also brought pet Doberman Pinscher Jack! Equipped with 22-foot GMC motorhome with a Ford front axle.

The trip was a difficult one (and continuing for Neal and CG), involving frustrating moments and fatigue/hunger/thirst (we had lots of food and water but who has time for them when you have a problem to solve?), but everyone kept his/her composure, knowing they are all part of the adventure and that we're all there to help each other to make the trip a success. And success is not for coming back with no or minimal damages to equipment; success is being able to bring everyone home and ever wanting to wheel together again.

One highlight of the trip (no recording for it) that the rest of the BajaNomads may never have the pleasure to see: CG playing his Australian gizmo (I foget what it's called) that makes farting sounds, as DK performed his Mision Sta Maria rock-dance. I had a stomach ache laughing!

Last but not least, thank you to this BajaNomad forum for bringing us all together to enjoy what Baja has to offer.

[Edited on 6-5-2010 by edm1]

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2010 at 07:16 PM

The trip report will be on a new thread (this one is pretty long)... Maybe get it started tomorrow? I am anxious to hear news from El Rosario about Neal and CG... and I think that is a big part of the story... Nomads (amigos) helping Nomads!

I will finish this post with a photo of our newest Nomad 'hbmurphy' (Paul) of Huntington Beach (hb), and his little lady 'Zoom'... Welcome to Baja Nomad you guys... You both ROCK!

Baja Bucko
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2010 at 07:21 PM

DK---

NO NO- Eve is not a song writer and that is NOT her song....it was written by Deborah Johnson and sung by her on the DVD.....Eve is great at poetry and rock art humor but she is leaving the song writing to others who shall remain nameless......:spingrin:

Yea it was a great trip but after getting in to Sta Maria w mules from points south several times over the past 20 years etc....they never got stuck or had "mechanical" problems. A great group of people....I was riding shotgun w AridNeal discussing the physics of proper wheel placement here and there when the BIG BONK happened...I knew it couldn't be good..

NOW the guy who got the "Ballsy" award was Art-wow-his little "Winnie" had everything in it except a sauna...talk abt the Be Prepared mechanic!!! Art-you ROCK!!!!

ALL the rigs except for Art's got flooded in some way in the cab heading out thru the bogs...30" in one spot...surf's up, huh?. What a hoot of a quicky trip. Can't say enough about the guys who risked their rigs. Neal convinced me over dinner at Mama's that I needed to come along with him instead of heading to San Diego. I went along at the last minute for the cheap entertainment-that being watching trucks lose parts etc. (and NOT my truck-safely parked at Mama's) Never ever suspected it would be Neal's that would take the big hit!!! Again a great group...

My other 4WD is a Baja Mule!

La Mula Mil Survivor 2013-2014!
1000 miles by mule from the tip to Tecate!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2010 at 07:27 PM
GREAT... Thanks Art!

Quote:
Originally posted by edm1
My hat off to the Mision Sta Maria 2010 "team" - all awesome personalities - for a wonderful weekend. THANK YOU! These are the people to want to wheel with:

Paul/HBMurphy (no wonder something always goes wrong :-) - the de facto team leader, hard-core 4-wheeler, always have the answers, intelligent, well-educated, experienced. He brought his partner Zum (sp) - very sweet and always asking the correct and interesting questions. Equipped with 2009 Toyota Tacoma with custom bumpers, sliders and shortened bed just so he has the same approach and departure angles.

DK - of course, the team' tour guide and Mision's veteran, full of Baja facts (and fictions) and the one "to blame" for bringing us there. Inseparable with Baja Angel (Elizabeth) - you can't miss their positive aura/karma! Equipped with (almost) brand-new 2010 Toyota Tacoma.

CG - Another veteran 4-wheeler, focused and positive kind of guy, determined! Kept going even losing one tire, continuing to wheel with his only spare. Equipped with Dodge Dakota with V8 and sliders.

KurtG - hitched a ride in CG's Dodge. Retired ins home electronics sales and has driven (in a small SUV or a motorbike) Baja for many many years. Like DK, he knows the topo of Baja and knows Baja notable poeple.

Neal Johns - 80 years old, as he proclaimed. The voice of experience, husband of the first wife Marian, has many WIWs. A veteran BajaNomad, and invloved in 4-wd desert exploration in California. Provided humor to the team. Source of my first amazement for his ability to get a heavy camper on a small truck through Widowmaker). Equipped with 2003 Toyota Tacoma Camper.

Teddy / Baja Bucko - co-piloted Neal John. Very friendly, makes very good conversations, music lover, and sings, played her guitar under the Baja stars! Could engage my daughter into a conversation. Brought pet German Shepherd Dixie.

Steve/Bajatripper - lives in La Paz, son of Bajalera (as mentined earlier by DK in this thread). Formerly in the US Navy, spent 3 years in the Philippines. Very calm and confident, intelligent, absorbs himself in anthropology. His partner Soli was the only "local" and "host" as she's definetely THE Mexican in the team. Equipped with a stock Toyota 4Runner - the the source of my second amazement he was climbing like he had lockers.

Art / edm1 - DIY kind of guy. Novice at 4-wheeling; still working after all these 30-some years as director of IT software professionals.Did mostly the listening and laughing at the jokes. Brought daughter Maria/Maya doing summer break from Syracuse U. Also brought pet Doberman Pinscher Jack! Equipped with 22-foot GMC motorhome.

The trip was a difficult one (and continuing for Neal and CG), involving frustrating moments and fatigue/hunger/thirst (we had lots of food and water but who has time for them when you have a problem to solve?), but everyone kept his/her composure, knowing they are all part of the adventure and that we're all there to help each other to make the trip a success. And success is not for coming back with no or minimal damages to equipment; success is being able to bring everyone home and ever wanting to wheel together again.

One highlight of the trip (no recording for it) that the rest of the BajaNomads may never have the pleasure to see: CG playing his Australian gizmo (I foget what it's called) that makes farting sounds, as DK performed his Mision Sta Maria rock-dance. I had a stomach ache laughing!

Last but not least, thabk you to this BajaNomad forum for bringing us all together to enjoy what Baja has to offer.

[Edited on 6-2-2010 by edm1]

Here is the group photo I took at the peninsular divide,almost 10 miles from Santa Ynez and just over 4 miles from Santa Maria:

L to R : bajatripper & Suli, CG, Baja Angel, KurtG, Neal Johns, Baja Bucko, edm-1 & Maya, hbmurphy & Zoom

edm1
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2010 at 07:36 PM

I forgot another highlight, with no record of it - DK lighting up a cup of gasoline explosive to seat the bead of my motorhome's tire, with literally flames all over him, but with Baja Angel at his side, not even a singed hair on his arm or head!

[Edited on 6-3-2010 by edm1]

KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 6-1-2010 at 07:48 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Wish we could have done more to helpyou feel better... but happy to do anything for our friends!

Was bajatripper's 4Runner okay mechanically and traction-wise going out? Without a rear locker or taction control, it can be a challange!

The 4-Runner did just fine, passengers got out for some of the rough spots and we did some minor rock work but no problem. Steve is a very good off road driver.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 6-1-2010 at 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Yes, the bog was deep...

CG's Dakota...

That is some deep mud! I can't wait to see CG's new Baja camp truck after watching him build up the Explorer and seeing the Jeep he had for a short bit of time.

hbmurphy
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2010 at 08:36 PM

Pages:  1  ..  6    8    10  ..  15

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.