Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: New Immigration Rules?
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 5-7-2010 at 09:09 AM

Yesterday we went to my agent (Carlos Victrica), who's office is attached to the miggration office in Ensenada, to renew my wife's FM3 which expires in June. Because the new FM3/ FM2 format is a driver's license size laminated card we had to first go and have new smaller sized photos (180 pesos) taken, then we had to submit bank statements (3 months- that did not have to be translated into Spanish). Filled out and signed application and that was it. Carlos walked these next door, submitted them and they were approved instantly. The miggration officer said we could come back tommorrow to have fingerprint and signature added to card before lamination EXCEPT THAT HIS OFFICE DOES NOT HAVE THE CARDS YET (check back manñana?). Total cost, including: agent fee, was $257 US.:bounce::bounce::bounce:

Bob Durrell
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 5-7-2010 at 09:12 AM

Just BoB.....where did you have the photos taken???

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2010 at 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy

Carlos Victoria sent me to Hollywood Studio. It's on Juárez/Fifth, one block north of Ruíz/Hussong's Street.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 5-7-2010 at 09:29 AM

Thanks Dennis :bounce:

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2010 at 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by danaeb
Diane - I found this on sanfelipe.com:

FM-3 and FM-2 visas will no longer be available from consulates outside Mexico. Instead, if you apply there, you will get a sticker in your passport. With that, you apply for an FMM when you enter Mexico, then have 30 days to "exchange" it for an FM-3 or FM-2 in your town of residence. So for most it generally still makes more sense to not bother with consulates and apply once you arrive.
FM-3 income amounts maybe changing

To get an FM-3, the rules (still) state you must show an income from sources outside Mexico of 250 times the daily minimum wage in Mexico city, which for 2010 is 57.46 pesos. So that's a monthly income of 14,265 pesos (around $1100). Add half as much again for each dependent.

Previously, you only needed half this amount if you owned (or rented) property in Mexico. From May 2010, this may change. The law new immigration manual rules state there is now NO REDUCTION in the income requirements for an FM-3 if you own a house. In other words, a single person who owns a property must now show an income of around $1100 a month, up from $550. A significant change for those on a low pension, if it is enforced.

Well, cancel the idea of getting the new one in San Diego.

I can hardly wait now to go to Guerrero Negro and see what they say. I wonder if they will still need to send it to La Paz. We really do not want to deal with them, but from what our agent says, we have no choice.

As soon as they get all of these new rules straightened out, I bet they will come up with some NEW regulations.

Seems like it would be easier if we lived in La Paz---but not moving. :biggrin:

Meantime, it looks like it is going to be the most difficult for those who are not in Mexico when their FM3 expires----and the new income requirements may also be a real problem for some.

No one ever said it was going to be easy!

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 5-8-2010 at 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy

at the photo studio on SOUTH side of plaza where Office Depot and Soriana are located:?:

[Edited on 5-8-2010 by durrelllrobert]

Bob Durrell
redmesa
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-8-2010 at 07:14 PM

Keeps getting harder and harder to play by the rules.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-8-2010 at 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by redmesa

Why play by the rules? I thought illegal immigration was a human right:light:

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-8-2010 at 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
Quote:
Originally posted by redmesa

Why play by the rules? I thought illegal immigration was a human right:light:

So everyone who can not get down there to renew during their date is going to lose their visa. Most people don't know about the changes as they are not well publicized or understood. Many people who have vacation homes can not get down there at the drop of a hat and for many its just too expensive.

So there will many many people who lose their visas and therefore they may lose other things such as corporations, the right to work, the right to own property etc... It seems that this sudden change is far more significant than anyone so far has considered.

There is something quite radical going on here and its largely misunderstood by visa holders, paper pushers and INM agents.

I do know there is the goal of aligning USA-MEX-CAN laws and policies toward the signed goals of the SPP but I wonder how this plays out? It seems to me that this significant change will limit visa holders and cause many people to lose their visa.

Does anyone have an idea of where this is going and what's next?
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-9-2010 at 12:15 AM

Lots of changes and amendments occurring daily apparently

http://www.dof.gob.mx/nota_detalle.php?codigo=5129775&fecha=29/01/2010

http://www.inm.gob.mx/SETRAM/SETRAM_WEB.pdf

[Edited on 5-9-2010 by gnukid]
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-9-2010 at 08:55 AM

Well I read all those docs and they PR about this, it says there are looking to make it easier in order to increase tax raising ability from foreigners in order to meet their budget while encountering reduced income from taxes of nationals during the crisis and reduced income from Petrol, though as always they are screwing up. Supposedly the entire goal is to make this all done via internet and allow more people to work and pay tax, though one can see the first step will cause most part time people to give up their FM3 visa and begin again and likely few of these will be renewed and instead they will get tourist visas. And it seems few Mex Gob people realize that most visitors are retirees who do not work nor does anyone want to work for $10-20/day in Mexico and pay taxes whereas they previously were paid $10-100/hour in the USA.

Please report your experiences, new costs and ask questions about how this translates for people seeking nationality from their years on FM-3 and FM-2 under constantly changing rules.
Fred-o
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-9-2010 at 04:06 PM
This post will last longer than: "TURTLE BUST"

It's at 67 pages now, with thousands of "hits" I predict the NEW FM stories will go longer.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-9-2010 at 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Fred-o
It's at 67 pages now, with thousands of "hits" I predict the NEW FM stories will go longer.

Probably because it will be different for EVERYONE, even for those who renew at the same place. Seems that is the pattern that is developing. :yes:

[Edited on 5-9-2010 by DianaT]

fishingmako
Nomad

Mood: always up

[*] posted on 5-9-2010 at 06:50 PM

The Turtle Story involved (2) people, this is a bit different, because it involves many... many people with real concerns, and rightly so should have a close eye kept on it, that is what Baja Nomad's are all about helping people that help people.

Who cares how long it goes for, we all need to know new developments as they arise to the surface.
Riom
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-9-2010 at 10:51 PM

I've updated my article on the replacement cards for FM-3 permits, including a picture:
http://bit.ly/aNGa38

Can anybody add detail of any practical experience, such as receiving a card?

I agree the purpose is probably to track residence duration (for tax), in the long run.

So the FMM form (which IS required to be filled in and returned by FM-3 and FM-2 holders, see the article) will eventually be needed at land borders, both inwards and outwards. Expect delays.

Rob

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2010 at 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Riom
I've updated my article on the replacement cards for FM-3 permits, including a picture:
http://bit.ly/aNGa38

Can anybody add detail of any practical experience, such as receiving a card?

I agree the purpose is probably to track residence duration (for tax), in the long run.

So the FMM form (which IS required to be filled in and returned by FM-3 and FM-2 holders, see the article) will eventually be needed at land borders, both inwards and outwards. Expect delays.

Rob

Thanks for the article---many thanks.

The returning of the FMMs will be interesting, to say the least.

Question. I did not read if they expect one to enter and exit at the same crossing?

Thanks

Riom
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2010 at 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
Question. I did not read if they expect one to enter and exit at the same crossing?

No, one half is kept by the border where you enter - land, sea or air. Then the other half is retained at the exit border, again any land, sea or air border.

Common sense says it'll be a while before it'll be needed at land borders (there's no infrastructure) but since when did common sense have anything to do with the way these sorts of things are implemented....

There are reports of delays of up to 4 hours entering Mexico at some airports as the new form has more than tripled passenger processing times.

Rob

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2010 at 07:42 PM

As we need to renew our FM3s at the end of June, we stopped at the immigration office in Guerrero Negro. She sort of wondered why we had renewed for the last couple of years with an agent in La Paz---we did not go into the reasons.

But we told her we knew the laws had changed and now we have to renew at the Guerrero Negro office and we wanted to make sure we had eveything when we came back. I had a file with what we needed before.

She said that it is all still rather confusing to everyone, including the immigration officers, but it should come together soon. Anyway, what she said we need are:

1. Our current FM3 books
2. Copies of our passports
3. A couple of months of utility bills
4. Bank statments for three months
5. Same application form we completed before---we saved the old form on our computers.
6. Application letter---she said we can just copy the ones we showed her with a new date
7. Two copies of the receipt for payment at the bank---she gave us the form to take to the bank---a little over 1200 pesos each
6. New photos in the smallest size, infantil---photos need to be in color with a white background. One needs to be a front view and the other one a profile. We did not ask how many copies, but we will have several.

She said that they have the cards there, but we will need to return to pick them up, but she will give us a travel paper to use before we pick up the final card. The other agent there did mention the FMM, but everyone agreed that is a very problematic thing at this time.

She told us that it did not need to be sent to La Paz for final approval as it was before. But we need to be renew in person==== No more third person renewals. Also, if it is not done on time, the penalty is approximately 800 pesos.

So now we will see how well it goes in June!

Hope everyone will continue to tell what they find out at their immigration office.

bajalinda
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2010 at 12:24 PM

Here is my first-hand account of a visit to the Migracion office in La Paz yesterday(Friday).

First, before you go to the Migracion office you need to go onto the internet at www.inm.gob.mx and print out the form that you need depending on your particular situation (renewal of FM-3 or FM-2, or change of activity etc...). It seems that this replaces the old "solicitud" form that we used to have to fill out with name, address, passport number, etc..

If you don't do this first, the agents at the office will give you the internet address and instruct you to go print out your form and then return to the office. (Fortunately I had heard about this from some friends, so saved myself at least one trip to the office.)

I presented myself at Migracion and asked if I had printed out the correct form for my particular situation. The agent looked over my form, smiled, and said (to her apparent relief and mine), "Yes, that is correct." Whew...successfully over the first hurdle.

Then I asked about what else I need to do to renew my FM-2 ( the internet was not very clear on this). This is when the agent took a large manual and started consulting with other agents about the other requirements. She came back with a photocopy of a page from the manual that applies to my situation.

In addition to the form printed from the internet, I need:
-my original FM-2 booklet
-the comprobante de pago de derechos (form that you get from the bank when you pay the fee)
-color photos for the new card, tamano infantil (that's the small "child" size photo), 3 full face and 2 profile
-a letter stating who I am, where I live, and what I do in Mexico (i.e.work or live off of personal income)
-if working, the ultimo comprobante de pago

The letter must be in Spanish and type-written. I was told it replaces the "comprobante de domicilio" (electric or water bill) requirement. You are basically declaring that you are who you are and you live at such and such an address.

Here is a description of the requirements for the letter in Spanish:
"Escrito bajo protesta de decir verdad en el que manifieste que subsisten las condiciones bajo las cuales le fue concedida la caracteristica migratoria, asi como manifestacion de las actividades que se encuentra realizando.

So this new letter requirement is going to be somewhat more involved than the old letter that just stated "my document number XXX is going to expire on such and such a date, I am hereby requesting a renewal."

No mention was made of copies of bank statements (and sorry, I spaced out asking about that). I am going to have them ready in any case - I find it kind of hard to believe that they won't ask for them. We'll see.

I cannot turn in any of this until May 24, which is one month before my document expires.

Hope this helps - will let you know how things progress.
msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2010 at 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Riom

Rob

It sounds like they are going to charge FM-3 and FM-2 holders $22 each time you come into Mexico the same as FMT holders are doing now, and you get to stop at the border to fill out forms each time too.:no:

[Edited on 5-15-2010 by msteve1014]
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.