BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Halibut for lobsters.......My best trade ever!
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

[*] posted on 5-11-2010 at 10:49 AM
Halibut for lobsters.......My best trade ever!

In the last couple of years I,ve posted a few times about Punta San Carlos BC and the great fishing thats to be had there.

What I forgot to mention was the lobsters that call San Carlos home,according to Chichi they are everywhere,you will met him later.

This was to be our first trip San Carlos the year was 1964,three rigs and six of my friends made the trip,the bay was 180 miles south of Ensenada BC the last 30 miles was a rough dirt trail,that was not a problem if the fishing was good

We pulled in one afternoon to a cold windy far away place,Ocean to the west a huge mesa to the east nothing in either the south or north no people no homes no nothing as far as the eye could see but it looked fishy.

To our surpise there was two Mexicans camped near by who turned out to be seaweed divers,we would meet them the next day.

The next morning turned into wild free for all butts everywhere,the bottom must have been paved with them,anything you threw was attacked ,by noon we must have caught 35 or 40,in quiet water inside of a big weed line,we were being watched all the while by the two Mexicans who came for a visit when we shut it down around noon.

To save time I will call them ChiChi they were looking at the butts with great interest,after the introductions the they asked if the butts were for sale I said no but do you have anything to trade they looked at one another and shugged their shoulders I then asked are there any lobsters in the area with a big smile they said si everywhere thats all we have been eating lately oh really

Two mins later the deal was made,but we would have to boat out to their cages "no problem amigo lets go"I and Chuck was in their boat in mere moments,Whoa these waves are big we are right in the middle of big sets a white knuckle ride all the way out,there they were two flags,first pot three or four really nice size lobsters next pot four or five and maybe bigger,ChiChi then asked me do we want more,we had maybe nine or ten already,keep in mind these were bigger than we are used to,no I said this should do it

Now back through that big surf more white knuckles,ChiChi gets the boat on the back of one mountains and rode it all the way back in,the guys really good.

The cheering started when the guys saw what we had in the bags,out came a big pot and two stoves were fire up,filleting started while the water in the big warmed up,I asked our new found friends to stay for dinner they had already settled in before I finished the invite.

Lets see halibut fillets and lobster I guess thats all we have,a big bowl of melted butter was added,thats all we got quess we will have to rough it,I forgot lots of cold beer was also added.

This was the first and last time I could not finish the lobster that was setting before me,we ate like cave men like we had n,t eaten for a month,its getting late now and I,ve had it,don,t know when the other guys crapped out but I do know about two or three am I woke with something running out my nose woke my boy to check me out " Dad you,ve got butter coming out your nose!!! sure enough melted butter running out my nose,I guess I must have over did something we all paid the price the next day.

Great trip,great friends,my boy with me and great fishing what do they say" it just doesn,t get any better.

The picture is my boy,Chuck Williams of Huntington Bch and my self.
Rob

[Edited on 5-11-2010 by baitcast]
noproblemo2
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2010 at 11:08 AM

WOW, some bugs there, glad you got to enjoy them. Did you make lobster burritos for breakfast???

Curt63
Super Nomad

Mood: Fish tacos and Tecate

[*] posted on 5-11-2010 at 11:29 AM

Great story. I love to hear about virgin Baja!

No worries
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2010 at 07:33 PM

yea we went there25 years ago and ran into an old hut north of there. there was a old guy in it with one of the biggest lobsters ive ever seen. we ask if we could buy it and he said this is my dinner, just go walk in the water there all over the place and get your own. the next day a few of the locals came and ask if we wanted to buy some crab, we said sure and they came with a box full of P-nchers for 5 bucks. lots of cochels, clams and mussels too. mesa san carlos to the south has a wrecked airplane and a cave wich has great cave paintings above it. its not the same anymore with lots of windsurfing camps and ther fishing has declined.
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2010 at 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by baitcast
..... we ate like cave men like we had n,t eaten for a month,its getting late now and I,ve had it,don,t know when the other guys crapped out but I do know about two or three am I woke with something running out my nose woke my boy to check me out " Dad you,ve got butter coming out your nose!!! sure enough melted butter running out my nose,I guess I must have over did something we all paid the price the next day.

That's quite the image. Gives all new meaning to the phrase 'inhaled your food'.:lol:

Thanks for sharing this good story, baticast.
Fresh halibut and lobster on the beach.... those were the days!:yes:

nena

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2010 at 09:08 AM

Yes, I liked your story as well, baitcast. I don't believe you ever told us this one.

Keep them coming, please. There must be plenty more. You fished the place at a time most of us just dream about. I never ventured past Ensenada until the late 70's. Wish I had because baja will never be like that again.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2010 at 09:14 AM

great story and please post more

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 5-12-2010 at 09:43 AM

the fishin still gets good there. Condition dependant. A couple of days with no wind or swell, all the weeds sink out, bite on! Had a similar evening as baitcast described (photo). CHEWIN! anything you threw got bit.Halibuts flyin out of the water all over the inside of the bay.couldn't help but fish til dark. Only kept a few..we allready had a bucket of lobbies:spingrin:..

Baitcast,thanks for the story. the cement slabs in your photo are still there. we were fishing up the point a bit.
I also saw the biggest bug of my life there..pushin18#s, can't find the photo..

TT
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2010 at 09:48 AM

butt fishin PSC BCN 1987

[Edited on 5-12-2010 by Tomas Tierra]

scan0005a.jpg - 17kB
baitcast
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2010 at 10:11 AM

Tomas we fished south of the point where the sand starts inside of the weed line.

We were setting around drinking coffee that first morning and I,m just watching the water like always when I see a school of something chasing bait in close just like school of bonita except they were Halibut,jumping airborne:o never seen anything like it,in water less than 2 3 feet,

Went down there three times,first year butts,next year WSB and the last the whole croaker family.
Rob
baitcast
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2010 at 10:15 AM

Same wonderful spot

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2010 at 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tomas Tierra

butt fishin PSC BCN 1987

Couldn't help but notice that you're fishing in socks and sandals. :O:O:O
Guess I'm not the only one.
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2010 at 07:14 PM

when you see them flyin out of the water you just start throwin the croc..no matter how or if your dressed..yup

TT
torch
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2010 at 08:37 AM

I have a friend who traded (were given) drinking water for lobsters. They were on a big sportfisher that could make alot of fresh water and were anchored around the mag bay area. The fishermen just kept bringing empty containers and big lobsters. wish I was there.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 5-13-2010 at 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by baitcast
In the last couple of years I,ve posted a few times about Punta San Carlos BC and the great fishing thats to be had there.

What I forgot to mention was the lobsters that call San Carlos home,according to Chichi they are everywhere,you will met him later.

[Edited on 5-11-2010 by baitcast]

baitcast...Wow, can I ever relate to your great story and pics!

We fly a 180 taildragger into that place many times back in the day. Had some remarkable lobster times..and roasted goat once when we arrived at Christmas time. What great memories..thanks for bringing them back. Those bugs were muy delicious!

edit for another photobucket repair..sigh

[Edited on 12-26-2014 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 5-13-2010 at 10:41 AM

Nothing to do with Baja, but made me remember a day when camping at a Bodega Bay campground.
This was many, many moons ago. I got heavily into barred surfperch and ended up with a cooler full. When returning to the campground some divers were admiring my catch and offered me a trade. All the abalone I wanted in exchange for perch. What a trade.:biggrin::biggrin:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 5-13-2010 at 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
Nothing to do with Baja, but made me remember a day when camping at a Bodega Bay campground.
This was many, many moons ago. I got heavily into barred surfperch and ended up with a cooler full. When returning to the campground some divers were admiring my catch and offered me a trade. All the abalone I wanted in exchange for perch. What a trade.:biggrin::biggrin:

Ed...back in college days, we would get smelt from Lake Superior, caught by handnets in the small streams on the north side. Literally thousands of them. We would then bag & trade them for 'real food' at the local Red Owl grocery store.

This is me and nomad, aquaholic, loading my old Plymouth wagon with the critters.

Our 'real food' was .. peanut butter, bread, and chips.

Go figure. Those smelt would have been delicious! :rolleyes:

Hah...had to edit this photobucket photo, too....

[Edited on 12-26-2014 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
baitcast
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-25-2014 at 02:54 PM

Bump.........Lots of new guys so I thought I would bring this back one more time'
Rob

Anyone can catch fish in a boat but only \"El Pescador Grande\" can get them from the beach.

I hope when my time comes the old man will let me bring my rod and the water will be warm and clear.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 12-25-2014 at 03:28 PM

Good to see you Rob! Merry Christmas buddy.

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 12-26-2014 at 10:27 AM
Here's a picture of a 20 pounder

Quote: Originally posted by Tomas Tierra  
the fishin still gets good there. Condition dependant. A couple of days with no wind or swell, all the weeds sink out, bite on! Had a similar evening as baitcast described (photo). CHEWIN! anything you threw got bit.Halibuts flyin out of the water all over the inside of the bay.couldn't help but fish til dark. Only kept a few..we allready had a bucket of lobbies:spingrin:..

Baitcast,thanks for the story. the cement slabs in your photo are still there. we were fishing up the point a bit.
I also saw the biggest bug of my life there..pushin18#s, can't find the photo..

TT

Article say's largest ever caught = 37.5 ponds
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/07/20-pound-lobster

Bob Durrell
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.