Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  6
Author: Subject: Gringos Living in Baja
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2004 at 09:40 AM
Gringos Living in Baja

I see many people are interested in moving to Different parts of Baja so I am going to post this true story. It happened this weekend.

We moved to this neighborhood 9 years ago and it was mostly Mexicans then. There were a couple norte americanos that had been living here for quite some time but not many others.
Things were fairly peaceful then besides a murder or two, some drownings, thievery and fires, but hey, no big deal.
It was actually peaceful, always. The Mexicans came on the weekends to bbq on the beach and the smells were fantastic.
Then, some gringos moved here from l.a. and the san gabriel valley area . They like to drink. A lot!
And, they like to gossip, fight and spread rumors amongst each other and to anyone else who will listen. Always!

In spite of not owning the land or doing their homework, they put a lot of money into "out doing" each others homes and as soon as another friend would move down and buy a place here, they would build an even better one.:lol:

These people had all been warned about not putting a lot of money into something you don't own. :lol::lol:

Anyway, since they are "improving " the property with their fancy bs, they now feel they are entitled to not have the local Mexicans park along the cliff as they have been doing for years. It is in front of their houses, although on the federal zone.

So, they put up a rope gate and no parking sign. Now, the people that have lived here for a while were against this. We argued and warned them about the problems that would arise and they did. Fistfights, rocks and bricks being thrown, lot's of yelling and name calling in both english and Spanish.
And just a big step by the gringos towards being friendly to your hosts in a foreign country.:lol:

So, there was a meeting here with the property owners and tenants this weekend. All the new gringos showed up ready to hear what is going on with the property as some of the owners want to sell it.

It is their right to sell it, everyone was aware of this before they spent their money, and now these gringos are upset. But, here's the funny part.

Not only did the gringos show up but all the Mexican property owners as well. Friday, the owners decided to go to the beach. And they parked right in front of the most complainingest gringo of them all.

I heard stories about the confrontation, saw the car parked where it wanted to, and steam coming from la gringas ears the rest of the day.

So we have the meeting Sat. am and the owners are explaining what is going on. I go outside and am talking to one of the owners and the gringas husband comes out.

The owner is talking to me about the gate and I am explaining that most of us don't want it anyway. The husband begins explaining how they deserve the view for all the money they pay and defending his wifes actions the previous day not knowing this is one of the owners.

And, not only one of the owners, but the one that was driving the car.:lol:

So, quite civily, the owner explains that yesterday, they were told they couldn't park on their property, one of the wives was walking through the neighborhood and was confronted by another gringa about who she was and what she was doing there and he was pretty upset about these actions.

He explained that in Mexico, we don't confront people unless they are causing trouble. And he also explained that he could understand their wanting a view.
But, he didn't understand why the original gringa, after being told that they were the owners, told them that she didn't care if it was presidente fox, they still couldn't park there.:lol::lol::lol:

Now, the issue amongst the owners is some want to sell, some don't and they are working on that and dividing the place into equal shares. These guys are trying to be fair in the division and at this point, nobody knows who will get what.

But, I personally appreciated this very educated and well dressed Mexican dude, after all his politeness and civility, tell the husband that if he happens to be on his part of the property, he is gone so fast it would make his head spin:lol::lol::lol::lol:

It is a LOT different here than the u.s.. A handshake can still mean something here and generally, a mans word is his honor. These people deserve respect because of who they are and what they believe. And, it is their country.
If you think you can come here and americanize it or expect the same things you are used to in the u.s., you will not be here for very long. Guaranteed.:light:
The Gull
Super Nomad

Mood: High

[*] posted on 7-18-2004 at 10:02 AM
Eternal Deja Vu

That is what has happened in every "campo" or American condominio association in Baja. It proves, once again, that Americans cannot live together anywhere on Earth without gossiping and destroying everything in their path. Like ants, it only takes one American to find the value and then each one after the first one, makes it easier for the next one, when eventually, the least desireable and least survivable of the American culture appear and carp all over the place using money as their weapon. Country after country it is same, where Americans get comfortable they will start telling everyone else what to do.:fire::fire::fire::fire::fire:

[Edited on 7-18-2004 by The Gull]

This has been edited multiple times for the residents of SADM who are reading it, right now.

�I won\'t insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said.� William F. Buckley, Jr.
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2004 at 10:54 AM
GUESTS

The operative word here is guest. Anyone moving here that does not completely understand that, ought not move here.
We were looking at beach front property,
beautiful, but with the 65ft, Federal Zone(a good thing)....seen tooo many of my fishing haunts in the U.S. of A shut off to me simply because someone else happened to be wealthier....There have been campers here long before us. I knew it would disturb us living with transient campers as neoghbors...Our solution was simple....we moved into town with our Mexicano neighbors and amigos....happier in the pueblo, it seems our amigos are not prone to whining and trying to change everything....
Being, perhaps, the first Norte Americanos planning on living full time in the Pueblo.....we asked our new Mexicano amigos and potential neighbors if they had any aversion to us living in their midst.....We are now living amongst them as friends & with a great many of them as familia.......After all this, we still realize we are guests of Mexico and the Mexican people and we behave accordingly. It's real easy when you're living amongst people filled with peace, kindness, generosity and a true caring for our well being.......

For us, it's the finest place we've lived.

El Vikingo y Senora Deborah
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2004 at 11:32 AM

You summed it up Capt. George. If I'm going to live anywhere and under almost any circumstances I want to belong as a peer rather than a superior. The fact that some of us have more tangible goods or buying power than others doesn't make us better.

If I take the two extremes, we have people who will do whatever it takes to get something for themselves no matter how many folks they distroy along the way. Or you have folks who just want to merge and fit within a group, helping from time to time and being helped as well.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-18-2004 at 11:38 AM

Exactly how it should be! Good post George and Mike... I am really leaning on that direction as well.

Hey JR, I have a new signature idea for you... "The more Americans I meet, the more I prefer Mexicans!" I see your light, by the way!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2004 at 12:29 PM
Sorry David

That ones used quite regularly down here.
And it doesn't apply to all, just most!
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2004 at 12:45 PM
Guests

I had a Mexican friend who stated quite simply to me that a "guest" is usually invited. Made me think about our role and interaction with our friends down south.
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2004 at 01:02 PM
INVITED

I asked and we were then most graciously invited to live where we live.

Had we not been invited, we would be elsewhere.....It has been a wonderful give and take relationship (in fact, more giving on our Mexicano neighbors part)within the community we now live.

We lived elsewhere in Baja and after a while, we realized we were not among
true Mexicano friends...easily solved, we moved......

Go with the wind amigos....el vikingo
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2004 at 01:16 PM
Mr Swords

The same thing with different People happened to us after 17 years in Loreto and Rancho Sonrisa;
We much preferred the mexican People and it seems that the Americano gets Jealous when they observe your realationship with the people.

2 Million on one side, then 3 Million on the other, then Airplane Drivers who love to Buss their Servants{Over a School nearby] convinced Virginia and i to Leave our beloved Sea Of cortez.
The last straw was to form and Association, put up a Fence so the mexicanos could not drive on the Beach and Block their View.

Gentlemen all americanos are not like that, I give you Jimmy Smith, Bernie, Sharky, Chris, Ty Miller, Pam Bowles,Tio Don O'Neil, Jack Foster, Louis T. Baines, Fred Shields, Ben Benner Von{Chris's Father} Don Rosendalh, Dr. Sam, Wild Bill. Bill Riffe and a few more.

Skeet
The Gull
Super Nomad

Mood: High

[*] posted on 7-18-2004 at 01:33 PM
Skeet,

They are exceptions and by that fact they are in almost unmeasurable minority. Add: Don Johnson, Mulege.

All those areas like Rosarito Beach, Todos Santos, Mulege, etc, etc, etc which have irrevocably been marred by "Gringolandia" a**holes are in the vast majority.

�I won\'t insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said.� William F. Buckley, Jr.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2004 at 01:44 PM
Gull

Yes Don Johnson and his Beautifull Wife and Baja Patty and others in Mulege.
I would include John Hardaway{Dive 53} who got ran out of the orchard for peeing in his Front yard and riding his Loud off road bike through the Park at Midnite. he moved across the river and on the Hill, a little close for the planes taking off after a night at the Pig Feed.Less than 4hours from Bottle to Thottle is risky!

Skeet/Loreto
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2004 at 02:25 PM

"...a mans word is his honor" Couldn't that also be, "A man's honor is his word?" By that, I mean graciousness would have gone a long was as far as the gringo house-owner (but not land owner) is concerned.
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2004 at 03:37 PM

Theres a flip side to that story guys, i fully understand that gringos have their ways of peeing people off and their neighboors ( some of them), and many of you feel that you would rather live amongst Mexicans than Americans, but trust me, we Mexicans are no beautiful citizens of the world too, while americans tend to create problems in a more social way, gossips, rumors, etc etc. Mexicans simply don't give a rats a** about their neighboors, at least the bad Mexicans i mean.

The glass of water can be half empty or half full, and all people regardless of race and nationality can be a real pain in the a**, here where i live i constantly put up with neighboors that park in your drive way, hire live bands to play during the weekdays until 4am, and other nasty nasty stuff, so try to just ignore those nasty neighboors and be happy that you can sleep a good 8hrs of sleep each night, i wish i had that privilege.:(

Take care.

capn.sharky
Senior Nomad

lol.gif posted on 7-18-2004 at 04:02 PM
La Colonia

Jesse---I thought you lived in Ensenada, but from your description of your neighbors, I would have to guess you live in Colonia Zaragosa in Loreto. They don't even start the musica until 9:30 or 10:00 at night. It stops somewhere around 5:00 am. Its part of the charm on living with the Ejiditarios. Now on the serious side, one of the things that seem to pee off the Americans when the illegals come up here is that they want to bring their culture with them. They seldom try to fit in with the gringos. Looks like we do the same when we go to Mexico. I am always advocating living in a Mexican neighborhood down in Mexico and not living with the gringos with the big fence around the property. I travel all over the world and find that people are more or less the same wherever you go. If you fit in, you will have a great time. When in Rome......

If there is no fishing in heaven, I am not going
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 7-18-2004 at 04:08 PM
HA HA HA !!!!!

This is so damn funny! Don't you people know. people are the same all the world over!! I guarangosh darnntee it!! Gringos, americans. mexicans, hell we are basically human beans!!! :biggrin:

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2004 at 04:12 PM

Heres my secret for keeping sane when you live in a Mexican neighboorhood.

Buy a bag of industrial earplugs.

The band can be playing all night long, and you will still sleep like a baby:biggrin:

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2004 at 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jrbaja
Anyway, since they are "improving " the property with their fancy bs, they now feel they are entitled to not have the local Mexicans park along the cliff as they have been doing for years. It is in front of their houses, although on the federal zone.

So, they put up a rope gate and no parking sign. Now, the people that have lived here for a while were against this. We argued and warned them about the problems that would arise and they did. Fistfights, rocks and bricks being thrown, lot's of yelling and name calling in both english and Spanish.
And just a big step by the gringos towards being friendly to your hosts in a foreign country.:lol:

Unless the property owner has a concession for the federal zone in question there ain't ONE Mexican citizen, except for the military, that can LEGALLY park there, and I'll be willing to bet that every Mexican who does, knows this.

Regarding being friendly to your "hosts":

When Mexico grants foreigners who meet the requirements the right to live here it also extends the umbrella of it's constitution and the protection of law. Anyone who legally resides here has, with very few exceptions, just as many rights as someone born here.

movinguy
Nomad

sad.gif posted on 7-18-2004 at 06:59 PM
And the common factor is . . .

Too many people in the same places. Every time I go to Baja it has changed - just like my current residence in Carlsbad, where they are building no fewer than 5,000 homes within 5 miles of my house. So much for our quaint "village by the sea." We'd all BETTER learn to live with a few more neighbors, wherever we are.

BTW, I took my family for a quick R&R at Estero Beach this weekend and the carnitas at 2 Hermanos are even better than you nomads said - and I have the love handles to prove it.:coolup:
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2004 at 07:00 PM
Invited guests

Capt. George...I hope you didn't infer I was referring to you, I wasn't. Having lived in Todos Santos among amigo Mexicanos before it was "discovered", I have had this discussion before. Early Todos Santos meant you spoke Spanish, now that language is hardly heard there. ?Qu? l?stima!
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2004 at 07:14 PM
INVITED

Not at all Jack, this board is a great learning tool for all of us....

el vikingo
 Pages:  1    3  ..  6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.