BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: reaching green angels from USA phones ?
lesd
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2010 at 12:50 AM
reaching green angels from USA phones ?

I have a question about the green angels: How do I get ahold of them, if I am only able to call with a Sat phone, which appears to the world as a USA based phone ? 800 and 866 type numbers also present a problem with sat phones, they are very hard to call.
I'm planning my trip for early summer via truck camper solo, so the phone from work will be with me for a bit of extra com., in case if mechanical issues, etc.
thanks
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-14-2010 at 06:46 AM

Since they are a branch of the Dept. of Tourism, perhaps contact them through that department. They patrol the highways of Baja and will show up eventually. Not sure if you could 'summon' them sooner than their route allows? Chances are a Mexican on the road will help you sooner... don't worry, Baja is an adventure... enjoy!

Did a Google search (bottom of Nomad pages):

http://www.car-insurance-for-mexico.com/green-angels.htm

GREEN ANGELS IN MEXICO Home > Mexico Information > Green Angels in Mexico To help motorists on major highways, the Mexican Tourism Ministry operates a fleet of more than 275 pickup trucks, known as the Angeles Verdes, or Green Angels. The green Angels are similar to the AAA in the U.S. The Green Angels are a government paid bilingual crew that patrol the toll roads throughout Mexico every day in green trucks, carrying tools and spare parts, looking for motorists in trouble. The Angeles Verdes will provide mechanical assistance, first aid, basic supplies, and towing. In addition They also have a communication network with different government offices and offer basic tourist information. The services they provide are FREE of charge unless your vehicle needs parts or fuel. Even though the services are free tipping is extremely appreciated, however don’t be offended if they do not except it.

If for some reason you need assistance call “060” (Mexico’s version of 911) or pull to the side of the road and lift your hood, this will signal the Green Angels that you need assistance or contact them Toll Free 24 hours seven days a week at:
Baja California Highways Emergency Toll Free Numbers:• 01 800 990 3900:
Tijuana – Ensenada & El Hongo – La Rumorosa Toll Roads• 01 800 888 0911: Tijuana – Tecate Toll RoadYou can dial this numbers from any conventional or cell phone; they will direct emergency assistance to you including towing services to the nearest tollgate or mechanic in the area. If you would like to see the locations of Toll Roads in Mexico or areas that are patrolled by the Green Angels click here
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.bajalife.com/grangels/index.htm
The Angels can also be reached by telephone at: 02-684-9715 or 02-684-9761
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.vivasancarlos.com/ga.html
Green Angels - Angeles Verdes Mexico's National Road Emergency Services To help motorists on major highways, the Mexican Tourism Ministry operates a fleet of more than 275 pickup trucks, (13 in Sonora), known as the Angeles Verdes, or Green Angels. Similar to the AAA in the U.S., these denizens of the desert patrol fixed sections of the major highway routes in Sonora twice daily. The bilingual drivers provide mechanical help, first aid, radio-telephone communication, basic supplies and small parts, towing, tourist information, and protection. Services are free, and spare parts, fuel, and lubricants are provided at cost.

To reach the local Green Angels, call their toll-free hot line at tel. 01-800-903-9200. If you do need their service, we suggest a tip; these guys really do care and are definitely Angels.

[Edited on 5-14-2010 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2010 at 06:57 AM

no idea re satellite phone. but Telcel throwaway phones are very reasonable and would be cheap insurance...

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-14-2010 at 07:05 AM

But a cell phone won't work in parts of central Baja CA ... The last tower is in El Rosario. Satellite phones only need to clear view of the sky... and you can call friends in the U.S. to come and help you when you are off the highway exploring... right Neal?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2010 at 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
But a cell phone won't work in parts of central Baja CA ... The last tower is in El Rosario. Satellite phones only need to clear view of the sky... and you can call friends in the U.S. to come and help you when you are off the highway exploring... right Neal?

ah, oops, my bad. you're right on that.

I heard that the Green Angels are now dispatched through Mexico City, I assume via telephone. a friend required their assistance north of Loreto and the angels who responded were equipped with GPS and had been given their coordinates to find them. I assume the GA's still patrol the old fashioned way in the areas without cell phone coverage?

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
Mexicorn
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2010 at 07:30 AM

Get a Telcel or a Movistar for Mexico. You'll be glad you did if you ever break down. I have the Telcel and have had it for years the deal is that you have to invest at least 100 pesos on it ever two months to keep it functioning also if you have a remaining balance follows over once you put 100 pesos every other month. It also has a handy dandy english function when you dail *333 which is quite handy if you want to know your balance and when your next payment is due. The other night at sundown and on my way home from one of my favorite haunts driving down the Toll Road I came across several people that appeared stranded waving thier hands as though they wanted me to stop. Not being born at night (last night) I called the 074 emergency number that you see plastered all over the signs through out toll roads in Mexico.
I endeded up speaking to a young man in Cuernavaca where all call were routed. He spoke no english but I'm sure they have English speakers manning the lines also. I was just glad to help those stranded travelers if that's what they were. Anyways I've found my Telcel phone to be invaluable while living here in Mexico.

Keep your eye out when you make your final purchase, there's always some sale going on that includes a phone with minutes on it for a low price. Either Movistar or Telcel.
Love Peace and Fish tacos

Always looking over ones shoulder is no way to live.
Help stop the cowerdice involved in cyberbullying:
http://www.ehow.com/how_5270535_fight-adult-cyberbullying.ht...
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2010 at 09:26 AM

David K, I couldn't find the map showing which highways that the Green Angels service. Can you help navigate to that page on the http://www.bajalife.com/grangels/index.htm website? I am driving to La Paz from So Cal later this month.

Thanks in advance.
lesd
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2010 at 09:53 AM

So the 800 numbers for reaching them have a 01 in front, I wonder is that really is a US country code ? I guess I can just try calling it.

Yes, the sat phone works well down there, in fact it for some reason it works much better in Baja than when I used it in various parts of Asia, where it looses the connection on every call after only a minute or so. Baja 1000 racers always have one.

Quote:
Baja California Highways Emergency Toll Free Numbers:• 01 800 990 3900:
Tijuana – Ensenada & El Hongo – La Rumorosa Toll Roads• 01 800 888 0911: Tijuana – Tecate Toll RoadYou can dial this numbers from any conventional or cell phone; they will direct emergency assistance to you including towing services to the nearest tollgate or mechanic in the area.
Riom
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2010 at 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lesd
So the 800 numbers for reaching them have a 01 in front, I wonder is that really is a US country code ? I guess I can just try calling it.

No, 01 is the long distance code in Mexcio (like 1 in the US). They are Mexican toll-free numbers. Maybe reachable as 011 52 800 ... from the US but I doubt it.

lesd
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2010 at 01:59 PM

grrr:mad:, so guess that green angels are out if you have a sat phone that works anywhere, except N Korea. Seems dumb, but I understand.
Riom
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2010 at 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lesd
grrr:mad:, so guess that green angels are out if you have a sat phone that works anywhere, except N Korea. Seems dumb, but I understand.

There should be current local numbers (non toll free) to replace those obsolete 02-684 numbers mentioned above.

But the main 24-hr Green Angels HQ number in Mexico City at 011 52 55 5250 8221 (from US) covers the whole country. That should work from a satphone (or +52 55 5250 8221 if it uses a mobile-style international access code).

lesd
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2010 at 02:37 PM

Thanks for that info Riom, I'll paste it on the phone, and I hope I never have to use it ;)

-Les

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.