Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Inflateable kayak
jbcoug
Senior Nomad

Mood: Needing Baja!

[*] posted on 5-27-2010 at 04:34 PM
Inflateable kayak

Is there such a thing that would actually be worth buying and trying to use on a Baja road trip? I definitely want to have a way to spend a little time on the water, but would like to save space. I don't want to spend money on something if it really isn't suitable. Any recommendations? Also, if I just decide to get a sit on top, what models have people found to be a good return on a moderate investment?

Thanks

John

[Edited on 5-27-2010 by jbcoug]
geomike
Junior Nomad

Mood: feeling an irresistable pull towards Baja...

[*] posted on 5-27-2010 at 05:58 PM

Try this link to Sea Eagle. I was thinking to get one. Then I didn't. Then I really regretted not getting one once we saw Bahia Concepcion.

http://www.seaeagle.com/ExplorerKayaks.aspx

I know Costco.ca had them awhile back.

Mike

[Edited on 5-28-2010 by geomike]

You are entitled to your own opinions...not your own facts.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 5-27-2010 at 06:40 PM

My personal experience

with an inflatable (after owning a sit-on-top) is that I was exerting double the energy in paddling and not going as far. Additionally, the inflatable seemed to be more prone to be kicked around when it was windy.
There are several inexpensive kayaks available on Craig's list (under $500.00) in all areas. I'm partial to the Hobie because it can be powered by foot pedals as well as paddles, (I have a carbon fiber paddle). But some of them are available with a sail also. Additionally, Hobie now has available the "E-VOLVE" which is a battery operated prop that replaces the original rudder on the kayak. Its not cheap ($1,900.00), but you can get about 15 miles on a charge at 3 mph, great for fishing and trolling.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

BajaDanD
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2010 at 11:05 PM
inflatable kayaks

In most states as soon as you put a motor on a Kayak it is required to register it just like a boat. I know in Mex. it wouldnt matter.

I own 2 sit on tops that have been drug all over Baja.
If your problem is not having enough room or any way to bring a bring a kayak other then an inflatable then I would consider a few things
1 How often am I gonna use it
2 How much $$$ am I willing to spend
3 How much room will it take up in my vehicle
4 Can I borrow a kayak from someone or rent one where Im going.

first off a good inflatable kayak is not cheep and wont last long with heavy use. They also dont do well folded up and stuffed in a dry garage for a year at a time. If you get even a small hole in it while you are out on the water you are screwed.
Also an inflatable kayak still takes up quite a lot of room that you might need for more important things

If you cant borrow one from a friend or borrow or rent one while you are down there then go for a swim or hire a panga.

This is just my opinion

If you can find a way to haul a regular sit on top kayak, do it, but dont waste your $$$ on an inflatable. If you use it often enough to make it worth the cost it wont last long anyway.

Drove this all the way to Cabo and back. The rack did $500 in damage to my car.
After that I bought a Toyota Tacoma and put a pipe rack on it.

[Edited on 5-28-2010 by BajaDanD]

Cabo Trip 1.jpg - 35kB
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2010 at 05:49 AM

I have an inflatable kayak, an Innova Solar model. this brand is a heavy weight and after four years in Baja looks almost new and is in great shape. it is definitely NOT a toy like some inflatables. Google some of the adventure trips all over the world in which the brand was used.

I've been very pleased with mine. as a single lightweight woman I knew I would not be able to wrestle a regular kayak on and off a roof rack. I wanted something that I could USE. I can carry it (inflated) under my arm with my paddle in the other hand. a cheap double stroke pump fills it quickly and the valves are locking in/out style with a cover to keep salt water corrosion down.

my model weighs 24#s. the newer ones are lighter. it has a backpack storage bag that is also a drypack and can be used to store gear one might want to carry on the kayak on a longer trip. I don't use the pack for storage, I agree with the other writer that long term storage in the bag wouldn't be particularly healthy for the kayak. I rigged a pulley suspension system under my palapa roof which keeps it off the ground, inflated, and ready to go. if I want to take it somewhere else to use, I just semi-deflate and fold it a few times and toss it in the back of the GEO.

you will get wet, as you sit on the bottom, so any water over the sides stays inside. it doesn't bother me, but apparently the newer models have an optional seat that will suspend you higher if you want. the handling is about the same to me, maybe a little slower than the longer waterline plastic (or whatever) type. there is a tracking fin but I do feel a definite sway with each stroke. it's rugged and hasn't minded the rocks I drag it over.

I doubt it is worth the expense (I think the new ones are around 700) for just a trip to Baja but if you use a kayak frequently otherwise it might be the thing for you. enjoy your trip!

[Edited on 5-28-2010 by rhintransit]

[Edited on 5-28-2010 by rhintransit]

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 5-28-2010 at 06:16 AM

i've had a stearns inflatable for over a decade now and it's just like new....it's the fishing model with rod holders and storage compartments....i literally can't tip it over even if i sit up on the edge of it..i can stand up and fish even...you'd like it.

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2010 at 08:24 AM

Wow - $900-$1200 for an inflatable? You can get a used hard kayak for much less. The car rack, however, will cost you some too. That's a big factor - you could always sell it after your trip . . .
Seaeagle ads show inflatable in whitewater - probably does a good job in that. If you're paddling in wind (and it does blow in Baja), it will have an effect - more so than in a hard kayak.

Maybe try to buy a Folbot? A Klepper? The Kleppers are serious kayaks, and a little pricey, but you might get hooked on kayaking and be glad you bought one.
I paddled a Stearns inflateable on Mono Lake - trying to go 3 miles to the island, and just paddled and paddled - was so slow - no wind - never got there. Got abrasions under my arms too - sat too low and couldn't adjust.
Regardless of what you buy, be sure you do some paddling in it before your trip to make adjustments for comfort and efficient paddling. Safety can't be understated - anything can happen - be prepared.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-28-2010 at 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jbcoug
Is there such a thing that would actually be worth buying and trying to use on a Baja road trip? I definitely want to have a way to spend a little time on the water, but would like to save space. I don't want to spend money on something if it really isn't suitable. Any recommendations? Also, if I just decide to get a sit on top, what models have people found to be a good return on a moderate investment?

Thanks

John

to spend "some time" on water and save space, try finding somewhere to rent a kayak.
Baja12valve
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2010 at 09:28 AM

I don't paddle in the ocean, but I do whitewater rivers. There are a few things to look for. What is it made of? The cheaper ones are PVC, the better ones are Hypalon. There is nothing wrong with PVC, but it is not as puncture or abrasion resistant as the Hypalon. PVC is far easier to patch, but both materials can take a surprisingly hard beating before they get a hole. PVC is easier to use in the fabrication process, so the kayaks made from that are cheaper. You won't find a Hypalon kayak under $1,000. Materials come in different deniers and thicknesses. Look for at least a 1000 denier cloth, 28oz/yd. The higher the denier and weight, the stronger the fabric, the stronger the kayak. A long water line is better for tracking and since you are on the ocean, that is what you are looking for. A small fin, usually detachable, is a real help in tracking. I have paddled both hard and inflatable kayaks and the only real advantage a hard kayak has over a inflatable is speed and tracking. There is no contest between the two, especially if you have a true ocean kayak, 16' or longer. For just general putzing around, I would go with a inflatable. If you are going for distance and could be in wind chopped ocean, plastic.
ElFaro
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2010 at 09:43 PM

john...

Please check out this thread on BN...

I added my $0.02 down in the thread.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=44474#pid4973...
spike
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2010 at 12:08 PM

Just bought a Innova Sunny inflatable. We own 2 regular plastic sit on tops as well. From what I can tell about inflatables there is a huge range in the performance from toy to full on performance kayaking. Kayaking is not our primary sport but comes in a close second to windsurfing. We use our kayaks on lakes and ocean. The reviews on the Innova are universally good and this boat has not disappointed us at all. We have used it as a double and as a single. It is more stable than our regular sit on tops but is just as quick and nimble. We originally bought it because we do not have enough room to haul 2 plastic kayaks and all our windsurfing gear, even though we own a truck with a shell. This boat folds up to a large backpack and weighs only 31 lbs. Set up time the first time was 2 hours, but now we have it down to 15 mins. we also like the Sunny model because it has seats and you are not sitting directly on the bottom of the boat so it is a dryer ride. If you do buy an inflatable, I would also suggest to get a air gauge right away as inflation is critical to performance and longevity of the boat.
GrummanRV

[*] posted on 5-8-2011 at 07:53 PM
Sea Eagle kayak

Quote:
Originally posted by jbcoug

Thanks

John

Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-9-2011 at 07:58 AM

Do not get a Sea Eagle, or anything that says Sevylor on it, if you plan on taking it out of the swimming pool. Puro mierda. Innova Kayaks are the way to go. I've been paddling a Innova Helios for years. You can store it in the garage for a long time with no problems. Get the foot operated rudder. Just don't leave it in the sun as it will quickly overinflate!
Woooosh
Banned

Mood: Luminescent Waves at Rosarito Beach

[*] posted on 5-9-2011 at 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
My personal experience

with an inflatable (after owning a sit-on-top) is that I was exerting double the energy in paddling and not going as far. Additionally, the inflatable seemed to be more prone to be kicked around when it was windy.
There are several inexpensive kayaks available on Craig's list (under $500.00) in all areas. I'm partial to the Hobie because it can be powered by foot pedals as well as paddles, (I have a carbon fiber paddle). But some of them are available with a sail also. Additionally, Hobie now has available the "E-VOLVE" which is a battery operated prop that replaces the original rudder on the kayak. Its not cheap ($1,900.00), but you can get about 15 miles on a charge at 3 mph, great for fishing and trolling.

How about this motorized (no-paddle) surfboard?

http://thescuttlefish.com/2011/04/the-first-jet-powered-surf...

\"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing\"
1961- JFK to Canadian parliament (Edmund Burke)

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.