BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: MISION SANTA MARIA 2010 TRIP REPORT (Part 1 & 2 + CG's report)
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-2-2010 at 09:58 PM
MISION SANTA MARIA 2010 TRIP REPORT (Part 1 & 2 + CG's report)

MISION SANTA MARIA 2010: An Epic Adventure by David K

Memorial Day Weekend 2010 will be one that is firmly ingrained in our memory!

Mision Santa Maria de los Angeles, founded in 1767 and abandoned (as a mission) just 2 years later because the location was just too difficult.

Difficult in many ways, but difficult getting to is one of them!

When the Franciscans founded Mision San Fernando Velicata in 1769, their supply route from Bahia San Luis Gonzaga even avoided Santa Maria, detouring to a canyon north of the Camino Real, which goes through Santa Maria.

In the 1950s to 1970s, the owner of Rancho Santa Ynez, Doña Josefina Zuñiga and her ranch manager Fred Hampe constructed a road to the mission and beyond. The goal was to make the historic oasis valley accessible and continue on to Punta Final on the gulf coast south of Bahia San Luis Gonzaga. Josefina also owned Punta Final Resort and a road between the two places would have been convenient.

The Mexican government finally built the last segment of the Baja Highway from San Quintin to Santa Rosalia in 1973, making access easier to Punta Final from Santa Ynez, albeit still not a direct route. Josefina courted the president of Mexico to have her direct route via Santa Maria be built and paved. All she got was a paved driveway off Highway One. The engineers no doubt considered the Santa Maria route to be far too difficult or expensive to build and they instead constructed the road to Gonzaga Bay from Laguna Chapala, some 31 miles south of Santa Ynez. Road building efforts by the ranch ended.

Part 1 Friday:

Since the 1970s, the road to Mision Santa Maria has become somewhat famous as a four wheel drive challenge. Often earning the route the nick name Mission Impossible. 40 years of erosion and lack of maintenance (except from travelers moving rocks) have made the short trip to Santa Maria a multi-hour ordeal that can leave a lifetime of memories. This latest trip was no exception!

The explorers were members of Internet forums, one for Baja travelers Baja Nomad and one for Toyota Tacoma drivers Tacoma World. The original leader of this group was going to be BajaCat, but a late change prevented his leaving and caused him to ask me to post the details and promote the run. I had been to Mision Santa Maria three times before (1999, 2003, 2007).

My wife Elizabeth 'Baja Angel' and I were in a totally stock 2010 Tacoma Off Road 4WD double cab and met up with Paul 'HB Murphy' and his lady Zoom, in a 2009 Tacoma Off Road 4WD double cab but with a lift, oversize tires and a front locker. We crossed the border together about 11 am Friday. Paul got called over for inspection by Mexican customs. We pulled over and waited just ahead. In a few minutes we were again southbound on Highway 1-D with beautiful views of the coast to Ensenada.

Some off road racing activity was noticed as the Baja 500 was just a week away and many racers were pre-runnin' the racecourse to familiarize themselves with this year's route. The normal farm activity traffic was found from Camalu to San Quintin. Other than that it was an easy drive to El Rosario and the wonderful Baja Cactus Motel operated by Antonio Muñoz. We arrived about 4:45 pm and topped our fuel tanks. I noted the best mileage yet on my new Tacoma of 18.7 miles per gallon.

Already in El Rosario for the overnight stop was Neal Johns in a 2003 Tacoma with pop-up camper, Chris (CG) in a Dodge Dakota with a rear locker and off road mods, Kurt G who rode with CG, and Teddi 'Baja Bucko' who rode with Neal.

We all went to dinner at Ed Lusk's Bed & Breakfast restaurant, called Baja's Best and enjoyed his fresh squeezed orange juice tequila sunrises, margaritas, and cold beer with dinner. We enjoyed lobster, scallops, and chicken burritos before returning to our deluxe rooms at Baja Cactus.

Neal Johns & Baja Bucko (Teddi)

HB Murphy (Paul) & Zoom

CG (Chris)

[Edited on 4-22-2021 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2010 at 10:01 AM
DAY 2 Saturday

A great night’s sleep at Baja Cactus had us up early Saturday morning for breakfast next door at Mama Espinoza’s. We were on the road before 9 am and had a beautiful drive to Santa Ynez. There we met Bajatripper (Steve and Zully) and edm1 (Art and his daughter Maya). The adventure began at 10:30, on schedule… and that is a rare thing to try and keep in Mexico. Being that we had 6 vehicles it would be a long day with stops, etc.

Stickers at Rancho Santa Ynez

The caravan started with my 2010 Toyota Tacoma, followed by HB Murphy’s 2009 Tacoma, then Bajatripper’s Toyota 4Runner, Neal John’s Tacoma, CG’s Dodge Dakota, and finally edm1’s giant 4WD van converted into a motorhome. We had the most concerns with the motorhome. Oscar at Santa Ynez said he wouldn’t get more than a couple kilometers in it and none of us could reach the mission, as the water was five feet deep in the bog!

The first obstacle on the drive was the deep gully crossing just 1.8 miles from Santa Ynez, but when the motorhome crossed it we gained new respect for Art’s abilities. A couple miles ahead those of us in the lead paused for the last ones (motorhome of Art and Dakota of Chris) to catch up. We waited quite a long time and believed it was the motorhome that must have had the problem. In reality, when they arrived it was Chris’ Dakota with a sidewall cut rear tire. He wondered if he should go back to Cataviña and get another tire for a spare and catch back up to us. We suggested he motor on with us and we would help him if he had another flat… (he didn’t)!

Bajatripper, Suly, Baja Angel

Neal Johns, HB Murphy

The gang arrived at the peninsular divide, 9.8 miles for Santa Ynez, where the Sea of Cortez and Punta Final can be seen. This makes a great lunch stop and rest for the really tough road ahead.

Baja Angel & David Kier

Group photo L to R: Bajatripper (Steve & Zully), CG (Chris), Baja Angel (Elizabeth), Kurt G, Neal Johns, Baja Bucko (Teddi), edm1 (Art & Maya), HB Murphy (Paul & Zoom).

The road ahead.

The next 4.3 miles to the mission are down several steep grades (including the infamous ‘Widowmaker’) and then into the bog, a water filled road in the oasis canyon beyond the Widowmaker. The bog was most difficult for the 4Runner as it was the only vehicle without a rear locker or traction control. Many of the other vehicles had winches and I saw Paul go into action and make a U turn in the bog to help out.

Now, down the Widowmaker!

Through the bog…

We were all blown away by Art and his motorhome!

Paul had a very well equipped Tacoma and as soon as we heard a vehicle needed helping the bog, he headed back in for the rescue.

Making a U turn in the bog

The mission finally came into view with a steep rock drop-off that would catch the back bumper of my Tacoma and Art’s motorhome. Art also had a rear tire come off the bead after driving into a palm tree stump in the bog. He was able to repair it just before reaching the mission and joined us as we were setting up camp.

Neal and Maya

Paul, Zoom and Neal

Art, Kurt and Chris

Paul dealt with the gnats

It was an awesome day!

A grand bond fire was a great time to talk and have fun. Chris had an Australian didgeridoo for musical affect and after some of Art’s tequila I joined in with a pair of rocks (and some dance moves I don’t recall)! We all slept very well, I think…

[Edited on 6-7-2010 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 6-3-2010 at 11:17 AM

that is insanity....:o:wow:

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2010 at 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
that is insanity....:o:wow:

No, that just good 'ol Baja fun! :yes:

The insanity happens the next day with exploding gasoline in a tire to pop it back on the rim and pulling Neal's camper back up the mountain all night and to 1 am+ when the tie rod end failed. :o:lol::light:;):cool:

[Edited on 6-3-2010 by David K]

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 6-3-2010 at 12:33 PM

So David, who won this crazy off-shoot of the DAKAR race?

That is one TOUGH road! The bog would have stopped me----don't like "bogs" (or muck)------you guys better check all you diffs/trannys for water----the oil will appear clowdy if water contamination got in-----if so drain them and refill with fresh diff. oil, otherwise you will have problems down the road with corrosion and pitting of the gears, etc..

How much of a hike is it to the Mission site from the "bog"? i.e. how many miles?

Barry
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2010 at 12:51 PM

The bog is less than a mile from the mission.

The top of Widowmaker is 1.1 miles from the mission, many park there and walk.

If we were alone, I don't think I would have gone into water that deep! Paul was lead truck going in, and we followed... neither of us had any problems or water in the cab... either direction.

It was great... I do need a new off road bumper! Paul recommends Armor Tech... bolts right on.

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 6-3-2010 at 12:57 PM

Thanks, David---just a stroll.

Water in the cabs is no problem-------it's the diffs that are the problem. All diffs have vents, and if the vents are not elevated (which most are not) then water gets in the vents and into the diff oil.

Beautiful pics, David (and others)---------thank you so much for the vicarious expedition, and causing planning for the future. What a beautifu and enchanting place!!!

Barry
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 6-3-2010 at 02:03 PM

David K., Thanks. Wouldn't want to buy any of those vehicles off a used car lot.
dizzyspots
Senior Nomad

Mood: rather be on the beach at Gonzaga

[*] posted on 6-3-2010 at 03:11 PM

when we cant be in Baja...it is a joy to travel vicariously thru your prose and pics

Thanks David

Mike& Sharon in Vail
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 6-3-2010 at 03:15 PM

Art's motorhome is a beast, David.
He's got more balls :o than me to drive where he did with such a behemoth.:!:
For art, this was a big an adventure as the three guys from the Right coast that took their kayaks from San Felipe to Mulege. All Nomads need to read their account in the link provided.

Fabulous photos, David. (I know how long it took to transfer and download everything to Nomads, plus there is the fear of having to re-enter everything again).

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2010 at 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
David K., Thanks. Wouldn't want to buy any of those vehicles off a used car lot.

I have a friend who used to travel Baja a lot in his younger days. Always in a rental. And more than once the doors wouldn't open when it was returned.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
hbmurphy
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2010 at 06:01 PM

Videos - More to come...

Coming Down the Widow Maker

Edit: link fixed

[Edited on 6-4-2010 by hbmurphy]
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2010 at 06:28 PM
DK

thanks for sharing this with us all,, great job
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2010 at 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
Art's motorhome is a beast, David.
He's got more balls :o than me to drive where he did with such a behemoth.:!:
For art, this was a big an adventure as the three guys from the Right coast that took their kayaks from San Felipe to Mulege. All Nomads need to read their account in the link provided.

Fabulous photos, David. (I know how long it took to transfer and download everything to Nomads, plus there is the fear of having to re-enter everything again).

I agree with Udo ... everything he said.

WOW, great photos and what a rough road. I know for sure I would not do the bog, walking is good for me.

Thanks for a great trip report. I'm sure there will be many great responses to this trip report.

Bob H
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2010 at 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by hbmurphy
Videos - More to come...

Coming Down the Widow Maker

Edit: link fixed

[Edited on 6-4-2010 by hbmurphy]

Loved the VIDEO.... great! Fantastic job!
Bob H
edm1
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2010 at 06:55 PM

Paul, do you have a video of the motorhome coming out of the bog, after it got stuck there in 30 inches of water for 10 minutes (to pressurize the air tank) because I didn't have the lockers engaged, and after I locked all 6 wheels it literally jumped out of there a-blazing between the trees, and in between I don't know what else, for a few hundred feet? I didn't wanna slow down until I was completely out of the bog. I thought I was gonna flatten a few palm trees (2-foot trunks); instead a tree stump flattened my outer dually tire :-) LOL. That would have been an amazing video.

[Edited on 6-4-2010 by edm1]

hbmurphy
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2010 at 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by edm1
Paul, do you have a video of the motorhome coming out of the bog, after it got stuck there in 30 inches of water for 10 minutes (to pressurize the air tank) because I didn't have the lockers engaged, and after I locked all 6 wheels it literally jumped out of there a-blazing between the trees, and in between I don't know what else, for a few hundred feet? I didn't wanna slow down until I was completely out of the bog. I thought I was gonna flatten a few palm trees (2-foot trunks); instead a tree stump flattened my outer dually tire :-) LOL. That would have been an amazing video.

[Edited on 6-4-2010 by edm1]

:no:
Art, I am saddened to say, I do not have that video. And if I had a decent up-stream pipe, I would have more videos up. I will soon but not tonight.

Sorry :no:
hbmurphy
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2010 at 08:12 PM

Does anyone have an update on Neil? Did he need a third shipped down to him? Do we need to find one for him? I belong to a number of boards that would have peeps with a stock one.
geomike
Junior Nomad

Mood: feeling an irresistable pull towards Baja...

[*] posted on 6-3-2010 at 08:35 PM

Great report DK One of the amazing things I recently found out is how a little adversity is good for the soul!

You need to let yourself out of The Box once in a while and Baja is such a great place to do so.

Thankfully the Mexican people tolerate "breakouts" a great deal more than we do North of the border.
Mike

You are entitled to your own opinions...not your own facts.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 6-3-2010 at 08:51 PM
Breakfast of Champions????

Is Neil having a Pacifico with those Vanilla Wafers????

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.