BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Is my Jeep Safe in Baja?
serwin

[*] posted on 6-3-2010 at 08:50 AM
Is my Jeep Safe in Baja?

I am planning on visiting and camping on the Pacific side if northern Baja in July for a week or more. I have a lifted black Jeep that looks pretty good that I was planning on driving down. Many in the Jeep community have warned me that the Jeeps are a hot commodity in the Baja area and have warned me not to take it. I have been told that I can/could be pulled over and be left on the side of the road with my Jeep being taken by locals.

I could bring another vehicle I guess but the Jeep is a way of life for me and it's these kind of trips I have it for.

Any feed back from this group would be appreciated.

Scott :?:
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2010 at 09:01 AM

I hope this isn't adding to paranoia, but I just bought a 1998 Toyota Tacoma, 4 cyl, 4x reg cab and my boat mechanic just told met that Toyotas were a hot theft commodity. He said that he reads in the paper about Toyota trucks being more frequently stolen than other vehicles because of the particular ease of starting a Toyota with a key from another Toyota.

I don't know if the above is true or not, but I am considering getting a club type device and I will keep a closer eye on my truck in any event.

He said that there is an electronic device available that will kill the engine of a stolen vehicle within 20 seconds of being stolen if the robber isn't aware of a secretly placed button to push in order to by-pass the induced electronic stoppage.

[Edited on 6-3-2010 by MitchMan]
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2010 at 09:03 AM
Proceed with caution

Quote:
Originally posted by serwin
I have been told that I can/could be pulled over and be left on the side of the road with my Jeep being taken by locals.:

Don't leave your jeep unattended, if you can help it. If there are people around, hire someone to watch it.

2 kill switches so it can't be started and driven off. It could still be towed in the bigger cities.

Take it to Baja and expect it to be broken in literally and figuratively.

Think Ford's and Toy's are the top brands stolen.

Unless locals have machetes and pitchforks, don't give your jeep over to Mexicans.

Have fun.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2010 at 09:29 AM

How do you protect your vehicle in the States? Use common sense and you should be fine.
serwin

[*] posted on 6-3-2010 at 09:36 AM

Hmmm, Ok

I am bummed out but now to pick which other vehicle,

2003 Ford 350 diesel truck (do the Pemex stations have Diesel fuel?)

2005 Honda mini van (my wifes Taxi for the kids)

I have an alarm system that will prevent the Jeep from being started before its disabled and a club device for the steering wheel but I really want to enjoy this trip instead of being paranoid about crime.
sd
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2010 at 09:39 AM

I have made several trips in a new near Jeep and have had no problems. Found everyone to be great.

Go have fun, with the Jeep!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-3-2010 at 10:12 AM

Your Jeep has greater odds of being stolen in front of your home than the Pacific Coast of central Baja... or almost anywhere in Baja outside of cities!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2010 at 10:37 AM

I have a "New" Jeep. I also have a garage and a chitload of insurance. I wouldn't park and leave it in Ensenada. GTA is epidemic in there.
Go up to the top of the page and contact Bajabound Insurance. Geoff is the owner and he would love to buy a new Jeep for you.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2010 at 10:54 AM

A kill switch and a chain lock around the axel and tire rim will discourage theft.
Mike99km
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2010 at 03:06 PM

All these folks telling you not to go, how often do they go? Do they know or have they heard? There are a lot of folks that seem to know a lot that haven't been down in quite a while. Dennis lives there he might know better then most on this board. Most the people on this board love Baja but don't spend a lot of time there. If you want to go then go. Keep an eye out and don't put a target on your back, you'll be fine.

You live the life you settle for.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W. C. Fields.
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2010 at 03:14 PM

Just returned from towing my Jeep down to leave in La Paz. By all means take it. I know exactly what you mean when you say that is what you want to drive down there. Like they say "It's a Jeep thing" :lol:

In Memory of E-57
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2010 at 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike99km
Dennis lives there he might know better then most on this board.

Thanks, Mike. I appreciate that.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2010 at 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike99km
If you want to go then go. Keep an eye out and don't put a target on your back, you'll be fine.

So well said.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2010 at 04:13 PM

I'm seeing three very good pieces of advice, that when heeded, should allow for you to take your Jeep and not feel stressed. First, a little bit of extra security by way of a kill switch. Second, just don't leave it unattended if can. Third, as Dennis mentioned, make certain you have the necessary insurance. As much of a hassle as it might seem, should you get ripped-off, ultimately a good insurance policy will soothe you. That said, it is very unlikely that you will encounter a problem, anyway. Seems like it's fashionable to promote stories about the bad things that happen in Mexico. As one poster put it, you'll likely not be at any greater risk that being at home.
bajario
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2010 at 04:35 PM

Not a jeep but I drove a brand new Dodge quad cab 2500 down to Loreto w/ no problems except a major hangover for the ride home.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2010 at 05:06 PM

If you are worried about it then you should not go at all (regardless of the vehicle). Contrary to some northern opinions, most Mexicans are not looking at you with envy and waiting for you around the next corner.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2010 at 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
If you are worried about it then you should not go at all (regardless of the vehicle).

We all have to be concerned, rts. When you park your vehicle in a snake pit, your biggest concern shouldn't be the condition of your oil.

We all have to be vigilant.......smart too.
k-rico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2010 at 06:13 PM

Yeah but the poster said:

"I have been told that I can/could be pulled over and be left on the side of the road with my Jeep being taken by locals."

25 years driving all over Baja and 4 years living in Tijuana and I've never heard of this happening. Has anybody?

Vehicles do get stolen tho, always park in a secure spot.

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2010 at 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
If you are worried about it then you should not go at all (regardless of the vehicle).

We all have to be concerned, rts. When you park your vehicle in a snake pit, your biggest concern shouldn't be the condition of your oil.

We all have to be vigilant.......smart too.

I don't park in the snake pit... and from his post, I don't think he was either. My point was, if there is that much worry, why waste your vacation and time. It will not be worth it. Correct?
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2010 at 07:34 PM

Quote:
I don't park in the snake pit... and from his post, I don't think he was either. My point was, if there is that much worry, why waste your vacation and time. It will not be worth it. Correct?

Correct. If what you have done is ALL you can do to protect yourself and you're still unsure that it's adaquate, you have a problem.
One has to listen to one's ownself. My ownself tells me to never put myself in a position which I can't control.

Till now, it's worked for me.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.