Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Gonzaga Loop Trip Report
preston
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2010 at 11:07 AM
Gonzaga Loop Trip Report

Returned last week from another fantastic Gonzaga “loop” trip. Although it is no longer a “loop trip” since (with the road improvements) we go out the same way we came in. Let me begin with a quick road conditions report:

As reported elsewhere, the paved road from Puerticitos to Huerfinito is in great condition but there are a few sections of fallen rocks so don't bee too distracted as your driving. After Huerfinito, the dirt road has bene graded for 6 more miles and is in "excellent graded" condition ... meaning 30 MPH. After that, the road is in the same condition it has been for many years .... crappy. There are a few grades that make the road un-advisable for low/normal clearance vehicles. I drive a Tacoma (standard wheels) and am pretty nimble in driving the road and I scraped bottom 2 or 3 times in each direction. So, I think the road is still bad enough to filter out most of the "faint of heart" people. I did not see much, if any, activity on paving the graded part. Note: the section of the road they will be paving after Huerfinito runs west of the old/current dirt road. More than 1/4 mile west of the old/current dirt road in some sections.

I noticed a large metal structure being constructed on the Mexicali SF Hwy 5. Looks a little biut like a toll booth to me. Will this road (when finished) be turned into a toll road? Anybody know?

On to the trip report:

Photos can be found at: http://s859.photobucket.com/home/prestonv/recentuploads

Photos are not in order .... and my battery ran out by the time we got to Ensenada.

Day 1 (San Diego to Campo Christina)

Traveled east on the 8 to Mexicali and then south to san Felipe. As reported elsewhere, there are sections of this road that are being re-paved which adds about 30 minutes to the Mexicali to San Felipe leg.

For those that followed my pre-trip post, I was planning to connect up with Peter (from Arizona) for this first leg of the trip. I've never met Peter before and only communicated with him through this board. Believe it or not as I was traveling south of San felipe ... who should pull up right behind me .... Peter!!! My wife could not believe it and I was pretty shocked as well. We continued to San felipe for a Taco stop (GREAT tacos at the small restaurant just south of Baja Mar hotel on the Malecon ... $3 for a plate of 3 fish tacos, $4 for the upgrade to camarones).

After the taco stop (had lost track of Peter at this point), is was on to Campo Costilla (just south of Puerticitos). Well, it turns out the place that I remembered was Campo Christina and not Costilla (in fact, Costilla was not accessable as it had a rope accross the entrance). Christina is right next to Costilla ... so we returned to Christina to spend the night. I waitied on the road to signal to Peter about the change in plans when a gentleman (gringo) named Wayne came up to me and asked me if I was the guy that was looking for Costilla that was really Christina ... I said yes, and we exchanged some pleasentiries. Anyway, Peter arrived and we set up at Christina for the night. Really neat place on a small cove. Notes on Christina:

Cost for camping: $15
Palapas and a restaurant (with bathroom). No showers.
Restaurant services the road crew, but made breakfast for us the next day.
There is a family dispute going on (according to Wayne) ...
One guy came by and said he was "one of the owners" and could he collect 1/2 the rent. We gave him 70 Pesos and no one else ever showed up to collect.

After a few cervecas and some vino, we went for a swim and a little paddleboarding. Peter brough his guitar and serenaded us with some Mexican/spanish tunes. It was great!! We shared some snacks, I started my bonfire and talked for a few hours before crashing. No other campers showed up so we had some good space. BUT, a local panguero decided to launch his Panga at high tide ...2:00AM!!! My dog went nuts while they were launching ... but calmed down after they dissapeared. Great day 1!

Day 2 (Christina to Gonzaga)

Road conditions as described above. Pulled into Papa Gonzalez to check out the camping area and eat lunch. Camping area is not suitable for swimming. Nice privacy, but rocky beach. Ordered the Gonzalez combo for lunch (Chile Relleno, Enchalad and Taco: $10) ... and they prepared everything from scratch! (Including whipping the egg whites for the Relleno). The food was quite good. No beer (BYO).

On to Alfonsina's ... but they were completely booked ... so on to Beluga.

Before we settled on Beluga we checked out Campo Sacraficio (about 4 Km beyond Beluga). The place seemed deserted. They have 3 types of rentals: palapas ($15), large palapas ($20) and cabins ($40). We did not go into the cabins to check them out as they did not look interesting at all (see photos). The campo itself is on a small cove and seemed rather nice. We decided against it because it was another 4 km from Rancho Grande store and restaurant. In the future is we bring all our supplies and plan to do our own cooking, this would be a good option.

Beluga was $15 and only one other group was there (5 palapas between us) ... so good privacy. Set up and went for a swim and then arranged for a Panga for the next day with Junior from down the beach ($150 for the day). Dinner at Alfonsina's ... shrimp was delicious as usual.

Bonfire, vino and relaxing and sunder the stars ... good stuff.

Day 3 (Panga)

Junior arrived on time with his son (7:45) and it was off to Punta Final for some fishing (spear and pole), snorkling and exploring. For those that have never explored Punta Final this is a great 1 day trip. We pole fished for about 90 minutes with no luck so I switched to spear fishing along the shoreline. Pleanty of fish and took a couple for dinner. I should add that I am not an expert spear fisherman by any means.

Then did a little exploring of the coves (see the photos) and gathered some clams in one of the small coves.

On the way back to beluga we saw several medium size rays on the surface ... and a whale shark. I dove in for a swim with the shark but he was not too friendly and after about 5 minutes he submerged and we couldn't find hi again (see photos).

After we got back we took our clams and fish to rancho grande restaurant (assuming Alfonsinas would be a zoo) ... and had an average dinner. The cook overcooked the clams. But the price was right ($6 per person) and no cleanup.

Bonfire and the colors of the sunset ... good stuff.

Day 4 (Gonzaga to Ensenada)

Low tide in the morning so we decided to move on. Decided to go the San felipe across the 3 to Ensenada. Our original plan was to find a hotel on the 3 befor Ensenada ... we stopped at a couple of small towns but nothing. We were going to stop at Ojos Negros ... but missed the turnoff ... so we ended up arriving in Ensenada at around 8:00PM.

Does anybody know of lodging on the Hwy 3 to Ensenada?

Stayed at the El Ray Sol ($50 per night including breakfast ... speacial deal). It looks like the hotels in Ensenada are really hurting ... most were empty. We like the El Ray Sol because it has courtyard parking and 24 hour security ($10 extra for pets) plus it has a reasonable swimming pool and jucuzzi.

Day 5 (Wine Country)

This was our main reason for the Ensenada stop to tour the wine country. There was hardly anyone there. We stopped at most of the hotels in the wine country and they were empty. Toured several of the wineries ... most of them are $5 tasting. Very relaxed and very nice. We ate at Mustaffas and had a delicious meal. Overall, I think we spent about $100 which including 3 or 4 tastings, dinner (with wine) and the purchase of one bottle of wine. Haven't been to napa in many years but I have to believe it would be about 2X as expensive.

Day 6 (Ensenada to SD)

Drove up through Rosarito to Otay crossing. I have Sentri but wife does not so the plan was for her to walk across .... NOT. The line was longer that I had ever seen. My guess is at least 60 and more like 120 minutes to walk across. Never seen that.

So, she got in the car and we drove across the non-Sentri line (about 30 to 40 minutes). time was about 10:00AM on Tuesday.

I've pretty much typed myself out.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Preston
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2010 at 11:28 AM

Sounds like a great trip. Thanks for sharing.

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 6-8-2010 at 01:17 PM

Typed out.. I bet.. thanks for all your effort .... Really liked the pictures.. looked like all had a great time.. the pictures of the taco's have made me hungry..

thanks agin.. what is the dogs name.. did not see it.. nice looking

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 6-8-2010 at 01:27 PM

guad valle is now charging $5 for tasting??
sorry to hear that.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 6-8-2010 at 07:57 PM

Preston, the new metal structure you saw on Mexicali/San Felipe Hwy. 5 is the new Army checkpoint.

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
edm1
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2010 at 08:36 PM

Glad you, your wife and dog had a great time. Nice photos too! Thanks for sharing.

Art

[Edited on 6-9-2010 by edm1]

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-8-2010 at 09:48 PM

Thanks for the report!

The photo of the 'cabins'... Is that 'Sacraficio'?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2010 at 07:23 AM

Thanks for the trip report.....looked like fun!!!
preston
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2010 at 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Thanks for the report!

The photo of the 'cabins'... Is that 'Sacraficio'?

David:

Yes, that is Sacraficio. The adjacent photos of the "shelters" are the "palapas" at Sacraficio. Not really palapas ... but provide some shade nonetheless.

The cabins looked like pre-fab structures. They had grills in front of them. We did not go inside, but I'll bet they are pretty basic. For me ... camping would be preferable to those cabins.

Interestingly, the signs along the road to Sacraficio looked new and had a web site address on them. The signs were not painted.

Preston

BTW: Your trip was absolutely EPIC ... I was speechless when I read it. I have nothing to add from all the other comments to your posts.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-9-2010 at 06:20 PM

Thanks... We were maybe 10-15 miles (as the crow flies) from Gonzaga Bay, west!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

preston
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2010 at 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wessongroup
Typed out.. I bet.. thanks for all your effort .... Really liked the pictures.. looked like all had a great time.. the pictures of the taco's have made me hungry..

thanks agin.. what is the dogs name.. did not see it.. nice looking

Dog's name is Rusty about 18 months old. Rusty absolutely loves the water and is very protective of me.http://forums.bajanomad.com/images/smilies/wink1.gif
cymeryss
Junior Nomad

Mood: So much to see, so little time...

[*] posted on 6-10-2010 at 01:34 PM

Sounds like a great trip. I am planning on heading out over to Punta Final for 4th of July weekend to do some sun soaking and spearfishing. I have a 16ft zodiac but am not sure which route to take. I think it is still a shorter distance offroad via Coco, any suggestions? Last time I took my boat there we ended up with quite a few trailer repairs even though the thing is not too heavy.

By the way, how was the water temp? Thanks.
KASHEYDOG
Senior Nomad

Mood: SO MANY TACOS, SO LITTLE TIME... Gotta Go, See ya there....:bounce:

[*] posted on 6-10-2010 at 02:53 PM

Great pics, Preston. Thanks : ) glad U had a great trip
preston
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2010 at 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cymeryss
Sounds like a great trip. I am planning on heading out over to Punta Final for 4th of July weekend to do some sun soaking and spearfishing. I have a 16ft zodiac but am not sure which route to take. I think it is still a shorter distance offroad via Coco, any suggestions? Last time I took my boat there we ended up with quite a few trailer repairs even though the thing is not too heavy.

By the way, how was the water temp? Thanks.

I'd estimate the water temperature at low 70's. I wore a shorty just to be more comfortable.

I have found this web site pretty accurate: http://tempbreak.com/index.php?&cwregion=la#

It is showing the water at about 75 right now in Gonzaga ... so I would believe you are looking at high 70's in another 3 weeks.

As I mentioned in the report, there are still 20 miles of pretty rough road. I couldn't imagine dragging a trailer through there ... but then again, I am not a trailer expert. If you are coming from San Diego, I think the Mexicali/5 route is the shortest ... but with a trailer, who knows.

I'm not a big spearfisherman (maybe 2 or 3 times per year). Would love to hear what you are able to get. What is your lodging plan?

Preston
cymeryss
Junior Nomad

Mood: So much to see, so little time...

[*] posted on 6-10-2010 at 04:05 PM

We usually camp out at the beach at punta final. Last time I have been there was 2 years ago, same time, and it was really great. I am also an amateur spear fisherman so don't expect any game fish....he.he
I will have to study the map and see what is the best route. Thanks for the link and also some great photos.
preston
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2010 at 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by cymeryss
We usually camp out at the beach at punta final. Last time I have been there was 2 years ago, same time, and it was really great. I am also an amateur spear fisherman so don't expect any game fish....he.he
I will have to study the map and see what is the best route. Thanks for the link and also some great photos.

I would really appreciate some photos of the camping situation at Punta Final. My preferences for camping are: some shade (palapa, tree, etc.), some level of security (I don't mind paying $10 or $15 if someone is watching the area), bonfire okay (I carry my own wood) and accessible by my 2WD Tacoma. Bonuses are snorkeling/spearing from the beach and a sandy beach.

I forgot to mention in my trip report that we stopped in at Punta Bufeo on the way back. They have some very basic cabins and allow camping on the area. No shade that I could see, but there does seem to be a nice cove for snorkeling and spearing and a big sand beach. I think the guy said $10 for camping if my memory is correct.

Have a great trip and would love to see some details about camping at Punta Final.

Preston
Fred
Senior Nomad

Mood: Laid Back

[*] posted on 6-11-2010 at 12:34 PM

Great report and especially nice that you included prices.
preston
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2010 at 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Fred
Great report and especially nice that you included prices.

Thanks. Yes, I like to know what prices are as well. I didn't really negotiate any of the prices. If the Panga guy had said $200 ... I would have negotiated him down ... but $150 was (IMO) a good price and I tipped him $10 and 50 Pesos for his son.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 6-12-2010 at 05:47 AM

where is this sacraficio and those modular homes?
they look like great rentals depending on where.
what is the power? off grid? gensets?

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2010 at 08:04 AM

Pta Final

very pretty place,, we have good friends that live there, as far as camping goes, you will not find any shade or restrooms for camping, the area is made up of private homes

http://wwwpuntafinal.cohomepage..htmlm/
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.