Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  6
Author: Subject: Building costs in Los Barriles
heike
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2010 at 06:33 PM
Building costs in Los Barriles

Hello
I was wondering if someone could give me a ballpark price per sq. Foot for building a small casita in Los Barriles.. Thanks
Marinero
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2010 at 09:28 PM

Prices vary greatly. Some builders are more hungry than others. The only real way to determine cost of construction is to interview the builders you might want to use, disclose size, prefered methods of construction and the like. They can they begin to give you some ball-park figure. Having said that, construction prices are down some both because of a lack of work for the builders and the increase in the strength of the doller against the peso.

Si estás buscando la person que cambiará su vida, échale una mirada en el espejo.

Fish logo from www.usafishing.com, used w/permission.

But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have.....
classicbajabronco
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2010 at 04:45 AM

I am currently building one on the eastcape, and the cost is about $45/ft2.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 6-11-2010 at 06:17 AM

yes, can you give a macro summary of what's included?
civil site prep and util. services/runs/septic etc if any?
fixtures, flooring and type, millwork cabs and built ins, appliances if any, OH gar door(s), interior trim carp, counters and spash, HVAC, ext appurtances i.e. walks patio etc, off grid products like PV etc?

or clarify if it is a basic shell unfinished price.
thx!
how close is your project to the Castille subdivision by Paul Clark - another thread here?

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 6-11-2010 at 06:45 AM

$45 a foot is pretty cheap

roof= concrete - tile - fake tile

windows = homemade - store bought - special order
big or small

floors = tile - painted - concrete

electrical = mexican - american standards

kitchen cabinets = home made - store bought - special order

plumbing fixtures = cheap - expensive

pipes = pex - plastic - metal

forced air or window units or nothing

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2010 at 10:00 AM

Bob and Susan, more on that: I don't think it's just me on this. This peninsula is very slow to change prices on things like cement and rebar --- that is, they (and a whole lot of other things) went sky high before the economic dump, the lack of tourists/buyers began. Now, with little going on, no buyers, (AFTER SCITTY EIGHT MONTHS OF SELLING NOTHING) one might think the prices would come down. That's not happening down here -- it's like these things only go one way = up and up, then sit on the shelf for years at that same price rather than adjust to what's happening now. Maybe new house builders down here would be better served to buy goods in San Diego, have them transhiped.
heike
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2010 at 03:42 PM

I am really asking for a friend. I have had 2 projects built over the past 5 years. Both I paid about 74.00 a sq ft. That included everything, worker costs, arct. plans, Septic, water, electric
, nice tile, windows... Etc. At that time I also asked what others were spending, I got a range of 45.00 up to 90.00.... Just checking in to see what a good price would be now....
Gaucho
Nomad

Mood: Bohemia por favor...

[*] posted on 6-11-2010 at 10:39 PM

Does your friend want a block home or tridipanel?

Quote:
Originally posted by heike
I am really asking for a friend. I have had 2 projects built over the past 5 years. Both I paid about 74.00 a sq ft. That included everything, worker costs, arct. plans, Septic, water, electric
, nice tile, windows... Etc. At that time I also asked what others were spending, I got a range of 45.00 up to 90.00.... Just checking in to see what a good price would be now....
heike
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2010 at 04:41 AM

A small block casita 700-1000 sq ft. Depending on the price
pepino
Banned

[*] posted on 6-12-2010 at 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Osprey
Bob and Susan, more on that: I don't think it's just me on this. This peninsula is very slow to change prices on things like cement and rebar --- that is, they (and a whole lot of other things) went sky high before the economic dump, the lack of tourists/buyers began. Now, with little going on, no buyers, (AFTER SCITTY EIGHT MONTHS OF SELLING NOTHING) one might think the prices would come down. That's not happening down here -- it's like these things only go one way = up and up, then sit on the shelf for years at that same price rather than adjust to what's happening now. Maybe new house builders down here would be better served to buy goods in San Diego, have them transhiped.

The typical Mexican Business Model...as volume goes down raise prices to make up lost revenue....for some reason they do not see higher prices lose more business. :lol::lol:
classicbajabronco
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2010 at 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by pepino
Quote:
Originally posted by Osprey

The typical Mexican Business Model...as volume goes down raise prices to make up lost revenue....for some reason they do not see higher prices lose more business. :lol::lol:

I think it's more as the value as the peso goes down they raise the price to equal out. Typical inflation...

What they see is a Gringo with no clue, and a fat wallet, who says SI, SI, SI...Then they take you to the bank.
To see for yourself, go into a store with unmarked prices and buy an item, then a day o so later have a local go in and buy the same thing. 90% of the time they will get the regular price and you'll get a inflated gringo price.

For that reason, I have my accountant order all my supplies and pay via wire transfer.

People are hungry and there are some very good deals to be had on labor. Don't settle on the first price by saying SI.

That being said. I just had 1000 blocks delivered and they were 1.4 pesos cheaper than when I bought them 5 years ago. Cement has gone up about 30 pesos in that time.

"SI" gets lots of people in trouble. make sure you understand in total before saying the Word. or get a translator

Our 666ft2 casita will run under $20k completed.

[Edited on 6-12-2010 by classicbajabronco]
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2010 at 07:37 AM

"Our 666ft2 casita will run under $20k completed"

WOW incrediable!!!

be careful...
not all block is the same
not all sand is the same
not all gravel is the same
not all rebar is the same
not all welds are the same
all cement is the same
:light::light::light::light:

our website is:
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2010 at 10:03 AM

i'm just a simple retired guy...not a contractor like you...

but...

here the block IS NOT all the same
cheap block has less concrete in it
don't EVER think it doesn't

sand has salt in it sometimes
you NEED to get more expensive sand to be "clean"
unless you "taste it" don't assume you're getting
good sand

all gravel down here is different
some has volcanic rovk in it
it's very weak
water decomposes it easily

there's different sizes rebar
the assume you are getting the best all the time is a mistake
sometimes it's even "rusted"

there is "cheap" construction with less "castillos"
here the block is just a filler
the block isn't strong enough to support the roof
the "castillos" do that.

are they "sealing" the block below the surface?
maybe...probably not...problems later

is the copper encased?
concrete and copper don't mix
leaks later...

it's NOT ALL the same...

but i'm not a contractor

i don't belive you can build a "complete" 666sq foot house for $20k and make money
sorry...that would be materials only...maybe

our website is:
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2010 at 10:05 AM

From the perspective of a 30 year plus tenured developer and state licensed GC, i watched the 3 plus years as Bob built his off grid resort Playa Frambes, incl many trips to observe/inspect his WIP (work in progress).

he did a REMARKABLE job considering he is not a builder by trade - and his selection of GC and Arch./eng. was superlative - he did not scrimp on costs. and got excellent quality at fair $$s as far as i have been privy. He is an experienced source now to expound on the vagaries of building in Baja.

i would have to agree with him that you have to watch what is supplied. some guys make their own non fired 8x8x16 CMU blocks in Mulege using sea water - they crush like bugs - i have used them for steps cause they're cheap and they disentegrate as soon as they get sun.

sand can be variously river, beach or screened/washed - it makes a diff to me depending on if using as base, in conc, mortar or for top coat stucco finish.

some rebar is old and already rusted. i would prefer new and even oiled if i could get it.

you might need welding if you are doing embeds for steel headers or rails for large OH doors, or other plates and hangars like for poured decks and pans. i would want a certified welder on any structural work i was doing.

bagged cement is going to say what it is re: lime ratios etc. Some for mortar will be ID'd as such vs reg portland type II for eg.
if they use the mortar mix on flat work it will spall, crack, shrink and fail prematurely. A crew will just use whatever is dropped if they are not supervised. To them it is all the same.

and pre-mix when avail is not what i would want, ever.

that being said - i look forward to visiting at Costille soon and when down i hope to meet and see what you might do for a prospective buyer/builder.

the last item on my bucket list is to build something in baja and hang around a lot....:biggrin::biggrin: once i get there i don't really need anything else.:cool:

\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

Terry28
Senior Nomad

Mood: Thirsty

[*] posted on 6-12-2010 at 10:41 AM

I almost never jump in on these things but I have to this time. I have owned homes in both north and south Baja and built many in the states. I don't know Bob and Susan but I have seen their place...Bob is correct, without a doubt.
Not all things are as they appear. I know of an extremely nice home being built just outside of Rosarito by a VERY well know contractor who is also the archetict ( sp?) turn key price is $65 sq. ft. and it is a BARGAIN at that price, top of the line materials including granite counter tops, S.S. appliances, perfect tile etc. due to lack of work the price is low... I don't believe you can get 660sq ft for $20K..sorry just my opinion....ya get what ya pay for...and in some cases not even that...no offense intended...just my 2 pesos worth...

Mexico!! Where two can live as cheaply as one.....but it costs twice as much.....
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2010 at 11:29 AM

"with stained concrete counters and foor"

one of my fav details.
yes i look forward to it.

but can you add a SF to your bldg so it won't have the devil's influence??:lol::lol:

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 6-12-2010 at 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fishabductor
Bob,

Never said I was a contractor. I am a construction engineer/manager/property manager. When I do my job right I lower the cost and improve the quality of the structure. I am not trying to make money on the project, I get paid by the hour.

You have some good points, I am sure you have built a fine home.

You are talking about the same thing as me on many of the items.

Including Blocks
rebar( drag surface rusted rebar down a gravel road on a chain and it will be cleaner than the store sells) all rebar is the same if you get a #3 bar in say 30ksi which is the norm here, (sure its not the same thing as a 50kpi bar, or a epoxy coated bar)

Don't get sand from near the beach..get it from up an arroyo.

You just happen to be insinuating that I am building an a casita using the cheapest materials in can get my hands on and that is absolutely not the case. All materials have came from Construrama. The materials cost to date for the structure Is $67101.53 pesos or or $5243usd. That includes all block, rebar, #9 wire, sand, Gravel ($5500 pesos/14m2) tie wire, Cement, Septic tubing, water lines, elect boxes...it does not include windows, doors, paint, kitchen cabinets or appliances. however I have $6500usd left to cover these items before I get to $20k. The door/window quote is $1200usd., they are made to fit aluminum.

The total costs of labor is $110,000pesos or $8593.75 usd.
If you think the materials are $20k for a 666ft2 casita, you must be that gringo without a clue with the fat wallet I was talking about who gets screwed.

I am married into a local family and have a lot of family and connections...I am a true Local!!! I live here full time have a mexican son. Having connections such as these helps tremendously, I am 80% fluent in spanish as well, with my immediate family being 100% billingual. All this adds up to savings the "normal gringos here" can't touch. I am sure there are many others here with similar connections, who can attest.

When I buy property I get the local price, I know what the average gringos pay.... Thank god I am not an average gringo.:o

capt.

I can't say I have ever seen a fired CMU. They are constructed in a press, and then hydrated until the cement cures, unlike a red clay brick which is fired.

capt. u2u me if you come this way.

No offense meant to anyone...but you can build a quality casita for under $20k and I have all the facturas to prove it.

If you want granite counter tops, high end fixtures...etc. this will cost you. What we are building is a nice casita for our caretakers, with stained concrete counters and foor. Min. tile work..ect.

[Edited on 6-12-2010 by fishabductor]

Your approach however, would create Real Estate market problems ... I believe one can do what your talking about, IF they know what they are doing down here as a builder.. and the other "party" is not looking for Better Homes and Garden place to live !!!

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2010 at 12:32 PM

lets do some labor math....

2 helpers $3500 pesos a week incl social security and medical
1 plumber electrical gut $4500 pesos a week
1 maestro $4500 pesos a week

budget for 4 workers = $110,000 pesos

total for 4 workers per week $16,000 pesos

110,000 / 16,000 = 6 3/4 weeks for construction completetion

not possible or you're doing the work yourself for no pay
and not paying ss

walls and a roof is not a completed project for "regular" retirees

people expect tile floors and counters pressurized water, electricty and plugs , fans tv and internet hook ups, showers sinks toilets kitchen cabinets "bug free doors" windows with glass
(double pane is normal in the usa) closets septic
permits architect fees etc

still a regular house ...cant be done for 20k

our website is:
bajabass
Super Nomad

Mood: Want to fish!!!

[*] posted on 6-12-2010 at 12:46 PM

fishabductor, are you up to projects in La Paz? I will be building in that area within a year or so. I am very interested in a sound, solid, basic initial structure. 3br, 2ba, 1500 sq ft. We can fish evenings!
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2010 at 12:47 PM

i'm sorry fishabductor
remember i'm not a construction guy

but

i've seen alot of construction here...
and...
americans that think they have a "better mousetrap"

until we see finished projects...
show me i'm wrong and i'll admit it

i'm wrong lots of times

our website is:
 Pages:  1    3  ..  6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.