Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5  6
Author: Subject: Building costs in Los Barriles
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 6-15-2010 at 07:54 AM

GnuKid - those creative suggestions , grandma and all....amount to gamesmanship and most always backfire.
i say be a straight shooter - don't invent fake scenarios.
just get organized and get the job done properly and up front above board biz strategies.
everyone can smell a phony and once you losem credibilty you can never get it back.
beyond that you are ok by me.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2010 at 08:15 AM

I agree with Fishabducter, if you don't have the time or the knowledge to supervise your project, you should hire someone who does to stay on top of your project. It also helps to have a good set of detailed plans so there is no question of what is to be built. It is possible to get good quality work here, but things can also go wrong very quickly and remediation will be a lengthy, time consuming and expensive process. It is much better to spend a little more money and only do the job once.

[Edited on 6-15-2010 by monoloco]
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2010 at 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
GnuKid - those creative suggestions , grandma and all....amount to gamesmanship and most always backfire.
i say be a straight shooter - don't invent fake scenarios.
just get organized and get the job done properly and up front above board biz strategies.
everyone can smell a phony and once you losem credibilty you can never get it back.
beyond that you are ok by me.

The Grandma technique works wonders here and shields me from crazy lawsuits which as Jesse mentioned is the game here, but then again I live in the heart of La Paz, good workers and work crews are taken and the rest have left for, well, Barilles and other parts. Those left for smaller projects are capable and even though we are close friends, they pull every trick in the book daily. If you don't live here you wouldn't know. It's part of life here. It's the game. So I also have 4 other sisters I also reference. 4 sisters and a grandma is enough to set fear into any one.

I think I mentioned the story about the crew leader who stole my fine Alder wood and then the crew sued me for not paying them the social security for the work they couldn't complete because the wood was missing... So fun. Grandma took care of it.
bajabass
Super Nomad

Mood: Want to fish!!!

[*] posted on 6-15-2010 at 04:27 PM

As I read these consruction threads, here and elsewhere, I am learning more and more! As I said, nuts and bolts, no problem. Cement, concrete, compaction,rebar, household electric and plumbing, me no savy! :( I will be picking through everyone and anyones experience. There is a lot to learn, but I will have plenty of time!! :coolup:
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2010 at 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by heike
Wow, when I started this thread I had no idea it would be so interesting, I have learned a lot (mostly how quick people are to judge eachother) but also good info about builiding. We have basically finished our projects and feel good about them. I know that we didnt get the best deal in town but that is ok. I totally understand how fishabductor could be very helpful when building and if my brother does decided to build I will give him your name!
But.... I really never got my question answered....... is there a sq. ft. ballpark number for building a casita in LB? (simple block sturcture )
Also I would like to say that Baja isnt the only place we get ripped off with building, the US is almost as bad............. or can be..... I think...

Hey why not be more specific about your casita, height width and size, how many baths, whether a garage with a metal door and unfinished floor or state your desire finish with types of doors and windows, flooring-cement, tile or marble, exterior and roof and maybe some smart person can help build an idea of the costs, or others can pipe in with recent experience of costs per contractor to make said items complete.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-15-2010 at 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gnukid
The real fun of Baja is getting in there, participating and doing it yourself, spending time on site to understand the sun and wind and flow, accepting that the level and straight is not always best or significant

Quote:
Fishabductor, Good, there is nothing wrong with a restarts to set things right Baja. It took me only 5 tries with 5 separate teams to get my floor done level and the tile straight.

hey newkid, in your earlier post you said people should not worry about straight and level, but then you whipped your contractor to get it straight and level. which is important??

i hate sitting on the couch and seeing a wall or floor in my house that is not straight and level! well, i could accept it when i lived back east in a 300 year old house (at least then everything was crooked), but i won't accept it in new construction.
ccholder
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2010 at 05:57 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Wow, when I started this thread I had no idea it would be so interesting, I have learned a lot (mostly how quick people are to judge eachother) but also good info about builiding. We have basically finished our projects and feel good about them. I know that we didnt get the best deal in town but that is ok. I totally understand how fishabductor could be very helpful when building and if my brother does decided to build I will give him your name!
But.... I really never got my question answered....... is there a sq. ft. ballpark number for building a casita in LB? (simple block sturcture )
Also I would like to say that Baja isnt the only place we get ripped off with building, the US is almost as bad............. or can be..... I think...

Hey why not be more specific about your casita, height width and size, how many baths, whether a garage with a metal door and unfinished floor or state your desire finish with types of doors and windows, flooring-cement, tile or marble, exterior and roof and maybe some smart person can help build an idea of the costs, or others can pipe in with recent experience of costs per contractor to make said items complete.
ccholder
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2010 at 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ccholder
Quote:
Quote:

bajafreaks
Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days !!!

[*] posted on 6-15-2010 at 06:23 PM

I'm a general contractor in northern nevada and have plans to build on my property in Buena Vista, I think the idea of having some one there (3rd party) to inspect the process is money well spent if you don't plan to be there to supervise. Every potential client I ever talk to, the first thing out of their mouth is, how much per foot ??? To anwser the original post question you really need to know what you want in fairly good detail to get and honest answer, useing this website is a great tool to investigate. Look up old posts the question has been asked before. Maybe take all of the fiqures you can find ($ per ft.) add them all up divide by the total number then you'll have an average cost per foot ...it can be as complicated as you make it out to be. Good luck.
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 6-15-2010 at 06:38 PM

Perhaps I missed it but one thing that hasn't been covered is how do you determine total square foot? In the States its "living space" where as in MX it is usually everything (garage, covered decks, patio sidewalks etc.) I've heard it quoted every which way, be sure you are on the same page with your contractor, a low sq ft price could be a much higher total price than you are anticipating.....dt

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2010 at 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:
The real fun of Baja is getting in there, participating and doing it yourself, spending time on site to understand the sun and wind and flow, accepting that the level and straight is not always best or significant

Quote:
Fishabductor, Good, there is nothing wrong with a restarts to set things right Baja. It took me only 5 tries with 5 separate teams to get my floor done level and the tile straight.

hey newkid, in your earlier post you said people should not worry about straight and level, but then you whipped your contractor to get it straight and level. which is important??

i hate sitting on the couch and seeing a wall or floor in my house that is not straight and level! well, i could accept it when i lived back east in a 300 year old house (at least then everything was crooked), but i won't accept it in new construction.

I am some sort of freak about about perfectly straight walls and corners, I have my guys always use strings with weights on walls, and use tubes with water to mark level position on the wall and measure down, doors and windows of course must be perfect too, but I have learned over time, that really doesn't matter, a door can be any shape, walls do not need to be so straight etc... A unlevel roof often serves its purpose better.

I have tried to learn to let workers do their job as they see fit and not project too much of my US ideology, in that way, style and uniqueness comes through in construction, except where it's super important such as a floor but even so, I try to let tile workers do their thing even when it's irregular (to a degree).
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2010 at 07:00 AM

"and use tubes with water to mark level position"......WHAAAAT???!!

why don't you just buy a frickin 8' level?? like everyone else uses?? yes they are readily available in baja....

what the hell is a tubes with water device look like??:lol::lol::lol::lol:

\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

drarroyo
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2010 at 07:11 AM

folks here on BajaNomad that read and take ANYTHING Paul (gnukid) writes seriously ... are being 'had'. period.
(yes I know the guy)
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2010 at 07:55 AM

"A water tube is a level...with the added benefit that it can also be used as a transit builders level.(tripod level with a meter rod)"

sorry - i say BS - i use modern tools, they are available including one as basic to proper building as a sight level w/ transite to take elevational shots, which is my standard.
these other contraptions are too Rube Goldbergesque for me. :light::biggrin:

if i end up hiring you, you can borrow mine.
i know... you won't need it.
LOL

Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2010 at 08:04 AM

Lucky for those pyramid builders in Egypt that they had Mike's lazer stuff from Home Depot. Otherwise, nothin' but dunes.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2010 at 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fishabductor
Quote:
Originally posted by drarroyo
folks here on BajaNomad that read and take ANYTHING Paul (gnukid) writes seriously ... are being 'had'. period.
(yes I know the guy)

Thanks for the input and welcome....

Oh yes how kind, thank you. My preference for basic tools that are available is trumped by your personal attacks, welcome to the club.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2010 at 10:08 AM
never

Quote:
Originally posted by Osprey
Lucky for those pyramid builders in Egypt that they had Mike's lazer stuff from Home Depot. Otherwise, nothin' but dunes.

said i had a lazer (sic) level. :lol::lol::lol:
i don't.
my subs on the other hand that need them, have them.:coolup:

the pharohs could have learned much from the Mexicans.
but they had Aliens .....only a different kind.

KAT54
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2010 at 03:20 PM

It's pretty clear the fishabductor has not buily too much.
No referances
No Pictures
Newkid is correct and has some pretty good ideas.
I wonder who the rich guy with deep pockets hired a guy with the name fishabductor to promote a development
Why would not this guy state his name and business address.
Answer: He can not.
He can not give a price for his services or a quote.
Internet fiction again.
A want to be contractor with no clients.
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2010 at 03:41 PM

It's pretty hard to give prices/quotes without specific info, every job is different. Personally, I think it would be unprofessional if he did give quotes on an open forum, there are just too many variables.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2010 at 03:49 PM

Look what the Kat dragged in. Miss Congeniality.

About water levels....they are perfect. I use one about max 50 feet long and I keep it coiled in the shed full of water and plugged at the ends ready to go.
Here's something that occured to me when I was using it one day.....I squirt some blue food coloring into the tube and it made the water a lot easier to see, especially on a sunny day.
My neighbor loaned me his lazer level, a pretty good brand, and I couldn't see its mark in bright sun. I waited till after the sun set to get my marks.
 Pages:  1    3    5  6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.