Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  19
Author: Subject: A Double Shakedown in Constitución
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2010 at 12:55 AM
A Double Shakedown in Constitución

We've been in Cd. Const every 3-4 wks either passing thru on the way to La Paz, or for banking and groceries and knew it was only a matter of time before we'd fall victim to the sharks in the blue uniforms that so many others have been reporting.

I've read reports from people who have been pulled over by the police in Cd Const twice on the same trip on their way to and from la Paz , but here's the doozy we experienced 2 days ago. We were pulled over 2 times before we even left the city limits! Once as we entered town and 10 min later as we were leaving.

I'll preface the story by saying we always drive at, or under the speed limit no matter how slow that is, and stop completely at intersections, and stop for pedestrians etc.

One block after the statue intersection on the North end of Constitucion, a cop standing on the sidewalk blew his whistle and waved us over. He asked for my husband BigWooo's license and then said "Hey, you're from Las Barrancas aren't you? Remember when you bought beer for Tito and I?" We're not from Las Barrancas, but we do know Tito and this cop looked a little familiar so we just smiled and sort of nodded without really confirming or denying about the cerveza part.

The cop waved and said "No no, put your license away. After you pull back on to the highway, stay in the center lane so you can avoid the 'retén' ahead and have a good trip".

He waved us on and we pulled away and moved to the center lane of the Southbound highway. 2 blocks beyond there were a couple of cops standing on the side service road next to their truck, who appeared to be looking for cars to pull over also. I don't know how, or if, these 2 groups were working together.

About 10 min later we had passed the Super Ley and were almost out of the South end of town when BigWooo says "uh oh, here we go" and we get the red lights and siren of a different cop truck. We pull over again and the guy asks for Wooo's license. Wooo shows the guy his license but refuses to let him have it in his hands.

The cop insists he needs to hold the license but Wooo is persistent and tells him he'll gladly hold it up for him to look at but will not hand it over. The cop went to his truck and returned with a ticket book and pointed to rule #8 which said something about "failure to provide license or ID".

As he was reluctantly handing over his license, Wooo asked the cop why he had pulled us over and the man replied in rapid spanish , something about a "stoplight and a niño". Since there were no pedestrians at any of the corners at the previous intersection, we knew we were getting the imaginary-pedestrian-in-a-crosswalk scam that we'd heard about recently.

Wooo's patience was wearing thin and his volume was increasing as he said we'll go to the cop shop and sort it out. The cop said the station was closed for 3 more hours. Wooo told him the police station does not close, and he has many friends on the department so lets go talk to them ( actually it's just the 2 local cops in our little town). The guy paused, returned the license, then walked back and got in his truck.

We had barely pulled away from the curb and they already had another gringo pulled over behind us. He wasn't even back in his truck long enough to witness a violation by another vehicle.

Today, on the drive back thru Cd Const I saw one cop car as we passed through town.

This situation is so ridiculous that it's funny, but not really. The next time may not be as easy and it makes you really dread having to go thru that town.

[Edited on 7-2-2010 by oladulce]
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 6-19-2010 at 07:10 AM

do you live in las barrancas?
we used to run the clinic there for the Sams.
the strip became unsafe and town wouldn't fix it so we quit.
i like that town, very smallish. but nice beaches.
what's the latest there?

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2010 at 07:25 AM

Zeeeeesh! Maybe the PD in Constitucion needs to start putting stickers on your windshield like the Red Cross does once you donate.:lol: I don't suppose the old line "I already gave" is too effective?

Sounds like everyone who is stopped on bogus mordita "infractions" ought to be going to the PD & registering official complaints & if (when) it still continues, start reporting it up the chain of command however far up it needs to go get this BS squelched!!:no:
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2010 at 07:50 AM

This is a good example of why you should always call their bluff and demand to go to the station. I have had them pull the station is closed routine both times I was pulled over there.
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2010 at 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
...do you live in las barrancas?

We're a little farther North Capt, which is where I think the cop recognized us from, but we thought it best not to correct him and smiled and nodded.

I forgot to mention that taking side streets wouldn't have made a difference in either case- the first cop was positioned before the start of the divided highway now that i think of it, and before an side streets. The 2nd truck was sitting at the far end of town beyond any parallel roads that I'm familiar with.

Also, the first guy looked at our front license plate as we approached before flagging us over and I think the 2nd guys looked at our rear plate as we drove by them. So removing the front South Dakota plate may have been 50% effective.

I like the sticker idea LLinLP, or maybe a colorful ribbon on the antenna. Considering we would have been hassled 3 times in that 1.5 mile stretch had we pulled on to the service road, might as well fly a driving-while-gringo flag.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2010 at 08:24 AM

The time-tested method of engaging in a Mexican Stand-Off is to look the cop in the eye, grin slightly and drool like a baby. Don't engage in conversation, resist or do anything but drool.
Believe me, he won't know what to do next and will let you go as a bad investment of his time. :lol:
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 6-19-2010 at 08:52 AM

also throw up on yourself is good too, in many situations.
if being mugged Steve Martin says throw up on your money.
i like that. but yeah - drooling is good!

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 6-19-2010 at 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS Don't engage in conversation, resist or do anything but drool.
:lol:

How does one drool on command, DENNIS:?::?:

All I can think of is if one of the Tecate beer models walked in front of the car, or if I am looking at a Copper River Salmon on the grille. Neither of which is likely.:lol::bounce::o

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2010 at 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo

How does one drool on command, DENNIS:?::?:

Just pretend you're a dog named Winston. Arn't all Bulldogs named Winston? :lol:
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2010 at 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
also throw up on yourself is good

Oh, yeah...that a good one. Never fails.
Another method from the book says always wear dark pants while driving through Cd. Constitución. That way it shows better when you stand in front of the cop and pee all over yourself. It may sound radical, but the results are worth it.
A few Pacificos before you enter town will prime the pump, so to speak.
SALUD and have a safe trip. :lol::lol:
chnlisle
Banned

[*] posted on 6-19-2010 at 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by oladulce
We've been in Cd. Const every 3-4 wks either passing thru on the way to La Paz, or for banking and groceries and knew it was only a matter of time before we'd fall victim to the sharks in the blue uniforms that so many others have been reporting.

I emailed a copy of your post to:

LIC. ALBERTO TREVIÑO ANGULO
SECRETARÍA DE TURISMO
Gobierno de Baja California Sur
KM. 5.5 CARRT. AL NORTE FRACC. FIDEPAZ
Correo: atrevino@gbcs.gob
Teléfono: 12-404 24
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2010 at 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
The time-tested method of engaging in a Mexican Stand-Off is to look the cop in the eye, grin slightly and drool like a baby. Don't engage in conversation, resist or do anything but drool.
Believe me, he won't know what to do next and will let you go as a bad investment of his time. :lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

That is classic!

Bajatripper
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2010 at 10:42 AM

This cop gig at Cd. Constitucion is bordering on the ridiculous. We need more actions like chnlisle's above. I'm thinking someone with some "palanca" in local politics (Jesse, we need you) might want to bring this situation to the attention of someone who can do something about it.
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2010 at 11:11 AM

chnlisle

:bounce::bounce::bounce:

Good one. I have saved this address and hope all Nomads do and USE IT!

Iflyfishinspiteofcraplikethis
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2010 at 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajatripper
This cop gig at Cd. Constitucion is bordering on the ridiculous. We need more actions like chnlisle's above. I'm thinking someone with some "palanca" in local politics (Jesse, we need you) might want to bring this situation to the attention of someone who can do something about it.

Jesse has to live with them, so to speak. It's a delicate situation for him to be fighting city hall. The payback can be brutal for a businessman down here.
I think the tourist or guest would have more clout anyway. That's the demographic the cities are trying to ingratiate.
RnR
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2010 at 12:36 PM

Does anyone know where the police station is?

I know this was asked before but the responses were not very specific. How about locating it on Google maps or Google earth? I'm willing to call their bluff and drive directly to the station, as in; "Fine, Let's go. I know the way and I'll lead." Just need to know where it is so I can talk and gesture in the correct direction with confidence.

I'll be heading down in a few months and want to be prepared. I don't mind bringing money for the Mexican economy in general, just not for somebody's individual economy!
Curt63
Super Nomad

Mood: Fish tacos and Tecate

[*] posted on 6-19-2010 at 01:49 PM

I should have posted this sooner, but 2 weeks ago our lead vehicle ran a stopsign that had been placed at a broken stoplight in Constitucion. This was a motorcycle cop that pulled him over. By the time we got out of town, we saw three other gringos get pulled over. Unfortunately my friend didnt know the drill and handed over 500 pesos.

We met 3 other gringos in our travels during the next week that had been pulled over in Constitucion.

HERE IS THE TRICK

when you get to the stoplights, you need to go east 2 blocks and travel up the dirt road with the stop signs (far fewer than stoplights).

Good luck

more pullover stories in upcoming posts

No worries
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 6-19-2010 at 03:03 PM

WHERE OH WHERE.....

Is the notation that anyone has filled out a complaint form with the green angels?

This is a federal complaint form and it generates a ton of paperwork for an accused party and they do not -repeat- do not slip it into the wastebasket.

But, sadly, I am whistling in the wind here :-(
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2010 at 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
WHERE OH WHERE.....

Is the notation that anyone has filled out a complaint form with the green angels?

Where are they when you need them?
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2010 at 03:50 PM

What do yo think would happen if you took out your cell phone, took a picture of the cop and said you were going to texted it to Sindicatura in La Paz? Would this be foolish?
 Pages:  1    3  ..  19

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.