BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: Bahia Concepcion with travel trailer and kids?
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 6-23-2010 at 05:43 AM

coyote beach is purrfect...
easy access

you'll need a couple of kayaks for the islands
tie them on top the trailer

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 6-23-2010 at 07:02 AM
yeah - we do this sometimes

Quote:
Originally posted by desertcpl
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
no coffee??? holy cow batman:lol:

i used to put the inverter on the truck batteries
with the hood open to have hot coffee

how about a standard coffe pot, on the stove (propane)
my goodness, we are camping folks

makin' cowboy coffee.
can get pretty strong and gets you pretty wired.
made it a lot while camping at the palapas at PSFO.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 6-23-2010 at 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
coyote beach is purrfect...
easy access...

I agree, Bob, Coyote camping beach is about as perfect as it gets for most campers. Short trips to Mulege or nearby beach cafes, plus a couple of small tiendas. Nice sand beaches, warm clear waters, and a nice view over the bay. Shaded by adjacent mountains in early morning and late afternoon...a blessing from June to October.

But..that beach access road is sometimes pretty rough from storms and is strictly 0ne-way in many spots. I would walk it first before pulling any trailer in...lots of sidewall-eating sharp rocks along the way. You may want to roll some out of your path first.

The access road photo below shows the trail in the best possible condition...which is not always the case. :rolleyes:

By all means read The List on Nomads, make your choices, but don't worry about what you didn't bring..just go. One thing for sure..you can't take it all.

Make your own list as you go..Your personal needs will be unique.

Maybe something to make your own shade/shelter?

In November, almost everything will come to you at Coyote Bay camping beach. All kinds of vendors ..from fresh water to firewood. Enjoy.

There are even a couple of homeowners nearby who can help you in an emergency. ;D

Here's a few photos of Coyote Bay camping beach.

This photo below shows more Coyote Bay beachfront camping available...it is right next to the highway...past the private turnoffs to houses. You will see a sign 'Playa Coyote.' The good news is..the truck Jake brakes are fewer and fewer these days. ;D

Whatever you decide...Happy Camping!...and keep us posted on BajaNomads.

[Edited on 6-23-2010 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
k-rico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2010 at 08:15 AM

If you spend the first night in the San Quintin - El Rosario area as opposed to Catavina you don't have to leave San Diego at dawn and worry about getting to Catavina before dark.

Plus El Rosario to Catavina includes a long uphill, twisty, curvy stretch into the mountains that's better to drive when you're fresh and not in a hurry. You've got 18 wheelers, buses, and probably a drunk or two if late in the afternoon coming downhill at you.

I think the most dangerous part of a baja trip is driving, not the bad guys.

I've always found Catavina to be a sketchy area for overnighting. Few people spend the night there unless they use the hotel.

IMHO it's best to stop in El Rosario or San Quintin.

For coffee just take your coffee maker's filter holder and some filters with you and pour hot water heated on the stove thru the filter and fill up a thermos bottle.

[Edited on 6-23-2010 by k-rico]

willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2010 at 08:50 AM

Thanks for all the above posts, they are very helpful. I'm also coming down in Oct -Nov for the winter, pulling a 26' TT. Are there always people around Coyote Bay and Santispac? In other words, is it fairly safe to leave your stuff unattended for a day exploring/fishing/kayaking ? Is it realistic to plan on staying on the various beaches for 6 months or should I investigate the RV parks? Thanks
Brian L
Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days

[*] posted on 6-23-2010 at 09:09 AM

Hey Pompano, thanks a lot for your post! Great information and pictures!

K-rico, thanks for the drving advice. I think pushing it to Catavina may be a bit much for the family.

Brian
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2010 at 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Everyone's ignoring the most important question...............WHERE WILL HE DUMP IN THE CONCEPCION AREA????? Everything else is easily solved.

There used to be a place to dump in Coyote Bay. Is it not there any more?
Brian L
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2010 at 11:16 AM

What is the snorkeling like in Bajia Concepcion? From shore?

Brian
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 6-23-2010 at 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by blane
What is the snorkeling like in Bajia Concepcion? From shore?

blane..the snorkeling is great in Bahia de Concepcion..the fish viewing is not as great...anymore. :rolleyes:

You may need to get out to the bird nesting islands to find the most variety of underwater sights. Or snorkle down the rocky shoreline ..to the right as you sit on Coyote Beach.

Lots more activity nearer weed masses and rock structure.

If you are in need of a good campsite in the Catavina area, try Rancho Sta. Inez...you will find it a great and relaxing place to camp. Also great food..simple and tasty. You will see the sign just south of Catavina. The pavement in is potholed so go slow.

Another poster asked about how long they could camp at Coyote. We know lots of 3-6 monthers who have been doing it for many years. Use it a a base and search out other great camping beaches..all within Conception Bay. Good luck.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Brian L
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2010 at 04:11 PM

Thanks Pompano, I've been looking at other posts of yours. Great pictures.

What do you mean about fish viewing not being great vs great snorkeling? I'm not getting the joke...

When is the best month to come for good water temp, decent air temp, not much wind, and no crowds?

Brian
1bobo
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2010 at 04:28 PM
Stopping spot

When we're camping or RVing we like to stop at El Pabellon about 12-15 mi. south of San Quintin. Fidel has a campground on the back of the dunes, very nice guy, lives there, very secure, full hookups. 80p per night last time I was there in Feb. He got hit hard by the January storm, but is rebuilding (rebuilt?). With an RV you should pull off the highway 100 yards before the turn. Mex1 is elevated in this area and that sharp turn off the pavement if you wait too long may not be possible. Road is rough, but worth it when you arrive.
N 30-22-30 W 115-52-10

Costco is now selling Chinese knockoff inverter generators- Honeywell 2k for around $500, I've had no problems with mine, very quiet (not as quiet as the honda's, but what ya gonna do?). Beats cowboy coffee if you have to have more than one cup in the morning like me.
Brian L
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2010 at 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 1bobo
When we're camping or RVing we like to stop at El Pabellon about 12-15 mi. south of San Quintin. Fidel has a campground on the back of the dunes, very nice guy, lives there, very secure, full hookups. 80p per night last time I was there in Feb. He got hit hard by the January storm, but is rebuilding (rebuilt?). With an RV you should pull off the highway 100 yards before the turn. Mex1 is elevated in this area and that sharp turn off the pavement if you wait too long may not be possible. Road is rough, but worth it when you arrive.
N 30-22-30 W 115-52-10

Costco is now selling Chinese knockoff inverter generators- Honeywell 2k for around $500, I've had no problems with mine, very quiet (not as quiet as the honda's, but what ya gonna do?). Beats cowboy coffee if you have to have more than one cup in the morning like me.

We just got our generator from Costco. Definately Chinese made, install manual didn't match the item much...

Brian
tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2010 at 04:56 PM

You've never been there right? I'd say a one week trip with tents or hotel/casita accomodations! All this advice makes my head spin! Generators, coffe makers, surfing, wind direction, air temps!!?? How'd we all make it thru? Just doit!! Tio
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 6-23-2010 at 05:00 PM

Tio

Thats one of the best posts I've read in a long time.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2010 at 05:02 PM

ps Did anyone mention the Spirits that come out of the Valleys at night?? ChupaCabras or Padre Kino, or Pericue Indians howling at the Darkness! I love these extended posts that go on and on....
Brian L
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2010 at 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tiotomasbcs
ps Did anyone mention the Spirits that come out of the Valleys at night?? ChupaCabras or Padre Kino, or Pericue Indians howling at the Darkness! I love these extended posts that go on and on....

Whatever. I've Really been appreciating the help of others.

Let the post go on and on ignore it if it bothers ya!

[Edited on 6-24-2010 by blane]

Brian
noproblemo2
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2010 at 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tiotomasbcs

Perhaps that was after a few too many "spirits" !!!! :lol::lol::lol:

geomike
Junior Nomad

Mood: feeling an irresistable pull towards Baja...

[*] posted on 7-11-2010 at 09:48 PM

Hey blane, Coyote beach is definitely my families numero uno camping spot! The kids can't stop talking about it. That place has pretty much ruined it for us...i fear that no other campsite will ever compare.

I didn't see any sewer dumps there though, rustic or otherwise. There are, however, many very serviceable and newly constructed out-houses. I don't think that it would be a problem to either wheel the trailer near to one of those units or use a portable tanks on wheels that you no doubt have seen at Camping World.

Best I think would be to find a Honey Wagon to come out from town and take it away for a price. Help the local economy where possible I say!

If your family is like mine grey water will become a problem long before black water will. We sometimes use a wash basin to catch sink water and then flush it down the toilet to even out the tank space.

For fresh water we filled a 40 gallon rubber bladder (also from Camping World) at the fresh water store that is under the bridge. The name escapes me now but look around on the Nomad board and you will find it. I know the Pompano has posted pics and the locations of these services before.

The one "nut" that we couldn't crack was finding fresh vegetables at the grocery store.

I spoke with a chap in Loreto about the problem and he indicated that Sunday was market day in Loreto and everyone gets their veggies there at the farmers market. Don't know were it would be in town and don't know if Mulege has the same deal.

Maybe a seasoned Nomad could jump in here with better info about farmers markets in Mulege.

Next year we plan on staying a bit longer than the 5 days we had at coyote beach. 5 days is about as far as we can make it on one fridge full, so we are thinking about a trip to La Paz to resupply and then back to the beach for more relaxation and breakfast tamales. Do not miss out on the Tamale Lady! Mmm... pina tamales, chicken tamales, beef tamales...man I miss that place.

You are entitled to your own opinions...not your own facts.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 7-12-2010 at 06:04 AM

"The one "nut" that we couldn't crack was finding fresh vegetables at the grocery store"
go to payolas on the ice house road...best freshest stuff
i go there every other day when i get water

there is a "honey wagon" guy in town
his store is across from the hacienda hotel
the truck will come out for a fee

the "thing" from camping world is called a "blueboy"
it's blue:spingrin:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
boe4fun
Super Nomad

Mood: Circling the drain........

[*] posted on 7-12-2010 at 10:28 AM

If spending the night in SQ, Pabellon is very nice, but I would recommend Cielito Lindo. They have, what I feel, is a much more secure camping area. On our last trip south, charged us $5.00 US for camping which can include hook ups (if you want), although the generator at the hotel doesn't provide round the clock power, it shuts down around 8 or 9 at night and doesn't come on until sometime in the afternoon. On our last trip north, my wife wanted to try their cracked crab dinner - and the camping fee was gratis since we ate there. If you can drive another 2 1/2 hours + or - to Rancho Santa Inez, about 1 1/2 clicks south of Catavina, very nice and quiet. If you stay at Coyote, I would recommend that you bring cheap ear plugs for the family, because the jake brakes coming down the hill on Mex. 1 can be noisy, as can the coyotes during the wee hours.

Two dirt roads diverged in Baja and I, I took the one less graveled by......

Soy ignorante, apático y ambivalente. No lo sé y no me importa, ni modo.
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.