Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Ensenada Road Trip ?'s
csclark

[*] posted on 7-3-2010 at 12:16 PM
Ensenada Road Trip ?'s

Hello all,

Newb here :) My girlfriend and I are thinking about taking a trip to Ensenada. I've been to the Baja several times, but never to Ensenada. We will be driving from Utah, and I would like to cross through the Tecate border crossing (recommended?). Driving a Toyota Corolla btw.

After that, straight south to Ensenada. We are going for the frugal trip so we'll be camping. Are there any suggested camp spots? I would prefer a place with a shower, and other than that, just somewhere we can get a good nights sleep.

We''ll be there from Tuesday (7/6) to Saturday (7/10) Any suggestions about roads, places, food, surf instructions ;), would help a ton! Thank you - CS
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2010 at 12:28 PM

Welcome to BajaNomad, CS.
There's an RV park right in Ensenada and I think they have everything you need.
If you want to get outta town, come on down to Punta Banda, twenty miles south, to La Joya Beach Camp. They have everything.
On the north end of Ensenada is San Miguel. Not sure what they have, but they do have surf.

After you get all the suggestions here and you decide on a location, ask back for particulars.
KASHEYDOG
Senior Nomad

Mood: SO MANY TACOS, SO LITTLE TIME... Gotta Go, See ya there....:bounce:

[*] posted on 7-3-2010 at 12:38 PM

Don't know about any camping spots, so I'll leave that to others. You must go to the FISH MARKET on the right just as you come into town. I highly recommend LUCERO'S TACO STAND in the market area for lunch (pic enclosed). the market is a good place to buy some fish for dinner(smoked or to cook). For dinner try MARISCO'S DE BAJA a half block off the main tourist street (?). Great prices and it's where all the local Mexicans eat. Also the seafood c-cktails at the stand across the street from the huge Mexican flag pole are out of this world. Have fun. Ensenada is a great place to be.
:bounce::lol::bounce:

[Edited on 7-3-10 by KASHEYDOG]

MAMA LUCEROS.JPG - 46kB

Don\'t mess with the old dog...... Age and skill will always overcome youth and treachery! Brilliance only comes with age and experience..... :smug: .... :P .... :smug:
Are you getting the most out of life OR is life getting the most out of you ?? :?:

Twenty years from now you\'ll be more disappointed by the things you didn\'t do then the things you did.
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2010 at 12:58 PM

For camping, I highly recommend the sea side of the Punta Banda peninsula. There's a road up the mountain past the dump that spits you out south of Kennedy's. I think it's called Arbolitos. Beautiful place. Dennis could probably tell you how to get there.

KASHEYDOG
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2010 at 01:00 PM

BTW...... Don't forget to get mexican car ins for the time you're down there. You can buy it on line just for the length of your trip. Link enclosed. And yes it's worth it for however long you stay. Always buy it for at least one day longer then you think you're going to be there, "just in case". Print 2 copies of the policy and keep one with you and one in the car.:O:spingrin:

https://www.mexicoensurance.com/quote_form.php?agente=bi

Don\'t mess with the old dog...... Age and skill will always overcome youth and treachery! Brilliance only comes with age and experience..... :smug: .... :P .... :smug:
Are you getting the most out of life OR is life getting the most out of you ?? :?:

Twenty years from now you\'ll be more disappointed by the things you didn\'t do then the things you did.
csclark

[*] posted on 7-3-2010 at 01:03 PM

Wow great responses so quick! Thank you!

Punta Bunda looks cool! I might even want to stay in a couple places to get the feel of Ensenada. I always like to try new places.

I'm always looking for the best Taco's in town too ;) I will for sure try Lucero's!!!

Thanks for the great start y'all!
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2010 at 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
For camping, I highly recommend the sea side of the Punta Banda peninsula. There's a road up the mountain past the dump that spits you out south of Kennedy's. I think it's called Arbolitos. Beautiful place. Dennis could probably tell you how to get there.

Beautiful, but not recommended after the sun goes down, Dave. Lots of illegal activity on the beach at night. A good friend of mine gives me graphic reports of his son, whom he lost control of, being paid along with his buddies to unload dope from Pangas on the beaches.
Chinese illegals are unloaded there as well.

There are safer places to camp.
Dave
Elite Nomad

sad.gif posted on 7-3-2010 at 01:31 PM
Crap

IMO, one of the most beautiful spots on the Baja coast. As recently as 3 years ago I would spend 5-6 days there at a stretch and never see a soul.

Damn shame. :mad:

KASHEYDOG
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2010 at 02:03 PM

http://www.ensenada.com/

:bounce::lol:

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2010 at 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
IMO, one of the most beautiful spots on the Baja coast. As recently as 3 years ago I would spend 5-6 days there at a stretch and never see a soul.

Damn shame. :mad:

It's still a good day trip.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2010 at 02:29 PM

Here ya go, CS. Some lite reading to prepare you for your journey:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_970.html#cr...
noproblemo2
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2010 at 02:35 PM

K-58 on your way to Ensenada, good surf, good restaurants near by..

sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2010 at 03:12 PM

I do a little tent camping in the Enseanda area.
The mentioned RV Campground in the Town of
Ensenada is in my opinion a place I would not stay,
there must be a water shortage in Ensenada, the
RV Park was dry. Out PBanda way there are a couple
Campgrounds $15 maybe a little more a nite.
The Motels in Ensenada, even the one's that appear
low budget will be $60 plus mid week. There is
a site www.ontheroadin.com, which deals with
Mex Campgrounds, prices may be a few yrs.
out of date
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2010 at 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sancho
The mentioned RV Campground in the Town of
Ensenada is in my opinion a place I would not stay,
there must be a water shortage in Ensenada, the
RV Park was dry.

Yeah...I'm not surprised to hear that. It was a shabby operation twenty years ago. The only reason they did any business was they were the only game in town. They load the place during race weeks.

Oh well...scratch that one. You're right.
TecateRay
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2010 at 03:21 PM

Be sure to visit some of the wineries as you head south from Tecate. Just about 10 miles before you hit Ensenada you will be in the Guadalupe Valley wine area and it is a must see (and taste!):spingrin:
Mike99km
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-4-2010 at 10:43 AM

csclark,
Welcome to the Nomad's I have a place at San Miguel and they offer camping there. There are showers up on the hill if you ask when you check-in they will heat up the water. The bath rooms on the beach shouldn't be used if possible. The camping on the beach is on dirt or sand your choice. It does get a party seen on the weekend up during the week it's quiet and odds are you'll be the only one on the beach. It cost about $10.00 a night. Ask around for Richard, he teaches surfing for a fee ($ per person ?). The shore line is rock and is not a great swimming beach. The snorkeling is good.
Fish taco's are at the first taco stand in El Sazal it's on the inland side of the road by the key stand, the measure of all other fish tacos.
For other tacos and tortas, El Trailero is on the inland side almost to the first Pemix, open late. Both are good food for not a lot of money.
There is a hotel called Posada Del Mar ($35.00) on the ocean side on the south side of town if you feel like a change after a week of camping. Clean, good beds and the people are nice.
Feel free to u2u me if you have more questions.

You live the life you settle for.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W. C. Fields.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-4-2010 at 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike99km
csclark,
Welcome to the Nomad's I have a place at San Miguel and they offer camping there.

Hey CS....Mike has free beer at his place too. All you can drink and carry away with one hand. :biggrin:
Mike99km
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-4-2010 at 01:57 PM

I'm still waiting for you to come by!

You live the life you settle for.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W. C. Fields.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2010 at 10:00 AM

Consider camping the first night at an off-the-beaten path place that is a few miles past the LA Cetto winery. Once you get to the winery, do some tasting and go to the winery across the road too, continue past both wineries on the road, and make the first right turn across the arroyo - follow the road for about 6 miles. You'll come to a rancho, a chain across the road there. He'll charge $5 to camp. Parking is about 1 mile further at a stream. There is a path for hiking, a little waterfall and pool, a hotsprings pool. Mid-week there shouldn't be anyone there overnight.
Agua Caliente hotsprings, 35 mi. from Ensenada is also a nice place to camp. Great hotsprings pool and hiking. Toilet and showers too. About $20/nt to camp the last I was there. Maybe San Carlos hotsprings? Turn left at the Country Club gate around Maneadero.
And be forewarned, there is some highway construction between Tecate and El Sauzal which will slow you down a bit with the detours. And you might be surprised at the Ensenada sprawl and traffic. You might consider crawling through all that, going further south to Erendira turnoff and camping at Punta Cabras. Nice beach.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.