Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: FM3 renewal
midwifevicki
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2004 at 01:27 PM
FM3 renewal

Thanks for all the interesting discussion. As with so many legalities in Mexico, there never seem to be any clear answers but I ma appyting for myself and also planning to get the renewal for my husband. I am going to the consulate today and to immigracion in Santa Rosalia on next Monday. I hope the discussion keeps going because I am learning so much. thanks to all.
whodat54321
Nomad

Mood: trying new stuf

[*] posted on 7-26-2004 at 08:55 PM

now I'm really confused.

I'm just going to rent in TJ, and still work in the states. FM2 or FM3?:?:
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2004 at 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by whodat54321
now I'm really confused.

I'm just going to rent in TJ, and still work in the states. FM2 or FM3?:?:

You need an FM3 and either a sentri pass or a lot of patience.:biggrin:

mcgyver
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2004 at 06:02 AM
FM-2

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
A couple of points:

You now can get an FM2 without the 5 years of an FM3.

It is not necessary to have an FM2 to receive a work permit. FM3 will work just fine. Also, when you recieve the permit it is no longer necessary to meet the financial requirements necessary for an FM3/2.

Aldo is correct. Once you are a naturalized citizen you can own land in the restricted zone and vote. There IS a tradeoff however. If you get into troubles in Mexico you can't hide under U.S. diplomatic skirts. Something to think about if considering going this route.

Dave, Please provide us with the # of the Mexican law that provides for an immeidate issue of an FM-2. We printed your post and took it to our local Delgado to try to avoid the yearly expense of the FM-3 and he just laughed at us, said not only was all still the same but that fees where going up again.
Thanks

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 7-28-2004 at 06:12 AM

Mcgyver

Welcome back from the "dark side"
I know you posted this before but...can you post the rules again and clear up the confusion?

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2004 at 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mcgyver

Dave, Please provide us with the # of the Mexican law that provides for an immeidate issue of an FM-2. We printed your post and took it to our local Delgado to try to avoid the yearly expense of the FM-3 and he just laughed at us, said not only was all still the same but that fees where going up again.
Thanks

Local migra officials have always used broad flexibility in application of la ley. Some delgados even go beyond the law.

Some examples:

I have heard that in some areas you must check in and out of Mexico when holding an (non-immigrant) FM3. Total BS.

In my area, (Rosarito) migra has never enforced the monthly income requirement. A bank account containing a minimum one months income is all that is required.

Here are the requirements for a inmigrante rentista or FM2:

http://www.inami.gob.mx/paginas/leyes/manualtramitesmigrator...

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2004 at 10:45 AM

Thanks Dave for the link - now if I canget it translated.

San Felipe has only required the money in the bank, no monthly requirement. Suppose all the Baja Cal offices under Mexicali are similar.

Ont thing I have learned - the person doing the work has the final say, wether it's regarding imigration or customs. No mater what you have read in the laws or advice and paperwork given by a consulate, the guy at the border is God and does it his way.

:biggrin:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
LaRibereņa
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2004 at 04:30 PM
Mexican law

A good source for Mexican law is www.ajijiclaw.com. No mention is made, however, of ownership by naturalized citizens. Maybe you could email them.
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2004 at 04:51 PM

Elizabeth - wonderful informative website thank you, thank you, thank you

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2004 at 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalou
Thanks Dave for the link - now if I canget it translated.

Once you do you will find that an FM3 is not one of the requirements. Fact is, I searched the whole site and there was no linkage between an FM3/2. I know of folks who have started with an FM2.

Quote:

the guy at the border is God and does it his way.

Unless you can PROVE that his way is not the correct way.

A couple of years ago there was a $250 allowance by aduana for residents of the frontera. The folks at the border insisted that I was only allowed $50 until I provided a copy of the ruling.

Sometimes it PAYS to know the law.:lol:

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2004 at 06:41 PM

Thanks Dave

I'm over 1/2 way thru the FM2 process right now so this is information for everyone. I allways want to know what the law says. Might not always follow it but I do want to know it.
I've had one Customs who told me that he didn't care what that paper said (their publication regarding how much you could bring in which I showed him) HE would decide what I could bring.
I never really have any problems.

I'll always remember The perfect country & western song.

No Bad Days

midwifevicki
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2004 at 12:04 AM

Just a quick update. I went to the consulate in San Diego, which by the way closes at 1:00 pm (yes, 1:00 pm)
You can apply for the FM3 "resident" visa at the consulate, but if you want to have an FM3 to work or conduct business in Mexico "FM3 lucrativa", it must be applied for and renewed in the district where you are planning to work. renewals in Santa rosalia can only be done in the 30 days before it expires. We were there to renew on July 1oth and could not do so because the visa expired 8/30 and it was more than 30 days. Because we are building houses in Punta Chivato/Shell Beach, we must do all our paper work through Santa Rosalia. There is a website with the information for FM 3 resident visas. The passport photos are to be Mexican size 4cm x 4cm or 1.5 inches x 1.5 inches. Thanks again for all the input.
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2004 at 06:37 PM

Make sure you have the FM3 stamped out "Salida" when you leave Mex. That gives you 15 days after returning to Mex to start the renewal if you are late getting back. Has saved me a bundle of late charges. Mine expires in Sept - about the time I like to visit up north.

No Bad Days

Germanicus
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2004 at 07:26 AM

I found a website which might bring some light into this dark.
baja-web.com
then go to
hope it helps to clear the confusion
Germanicus
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.