Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Tent Camping Security
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 7-22-2004 at 11:53 PM
Tent Camping Security

Hi, I'm considering whether to buy a truck camper or just bring a tent to explore for 2 months this winter. I prefer tents but as this is my 1st Baja trip I'm concerned about safety. Most of the time will be 4X4ing to hopefully remote beaches. Thanks!
dug
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2004 at 12:01 AM

I camp in the back of my pickup and in tents. The truck gives a sense of security when I have to leave my stuff. I've never had any trouble with either. I'd go with my preference with out worrying about security.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-23-2004 at 12:12 AM

Convenience and not security would be the issue in my book. I always tent camp or sleep under the stars on an air mattress, except one trip I had a camper shell with foam mattress and found it very convenient without the hassle of packing up a tent and air mattress at each stop. Of course the cost of transfering the camper onto my truck and minor bedliner damage was a negative.

Camp far from cities or agricultural areas except inside secured campgrounds in these areas.

Camping near villages, fish camps, and ranchos is very rewarding IF you are polite and ask permission first... You then become a 'guest' of the local family and will be treated as such.

Camping isolated and far from pavement is fine also. Please remember to leave a clean camp and haul out everything that didn't burn in your campfire.

Do you have some ideas as to your destinations in Baja?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 7-23-2004 at 07:36 PM

I've always been concerned about driving with a big camper shell due to the higher center of gravity, but depends on how bad the roads are that you are planning on driving. I love sleeping out under the stars if the weather is willing.....I always feel as though i've missed a beautiful night full of shimmering stars, meteors, and moonlight when I sleep in a tent.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2004 at 08:08 PM
When I camp for a week...

... on Shell Island, all one needs is shade.

Third image at: http://community-2.webtv.net/Baja4Me/album/page5.html

Note foam mattress leaning up for shade, is layed on beach at night for star viewing and sleeping. This was 20 years ago... I want to go back!

[Edited on 7-24-2004 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2004 at 08:18 PM

go with a shell as i have camped down there a hundred times and when the rain comes in the winter you can look out and laugh at your friend in the tent getting soaked as you are cozy reading a book or listening to some good tunes. it does rain in baja and get cold too.:coolup:
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2004 at 09:09 PM

That is a true point to consider! We got rained on pretty well at Camp Gecko last New Year's!

Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2004 at 09:28 PM

I was sleeping under the stars in the outback around Pico Matomi with six others when, in the middle of the night, it started to rain.......everybody started putting up tents or jumping into their camper shells--problem was they got soaked doing all that running around. I just rolled up in my low-tech plastic tarp and went back to sleep, stayed dry all night.............word has it that the infamous Bud Bernhard never slept in a tent--just rolled himself up in his tarp. Works pretty good!
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2004 at 09:37 PM

I play it both ways; I have a camper shell (or my VW Bus) and a tent. The shell will help keep your stuff (including your tent) secure while you are parked in town. When I am camped out for a while, I set up my tent in a palapa and use my truck for storage.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2004 at 09:47 PM
Mosquitos

A tent is generally a much better protection against flying critters if you are tent savy. It is better for your health to sleep on the ground sometimes. Tents are good for this.
Campers are great to have when it rains and combined with a tarp, you are having a blast in your dry living area, camper and tent. If you plan it right, the run off gives those darn dogs water too.
Rain on Ma Natural, I was going snorkeling anyway! jejejejejejejejeje:lol:
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2004 at 10:12 PM

Yah jr --good point about the dry living area under the tarp--that's enjoyable to have--if you're v-e-r-y careful you can even have a little fire going under the edge of the tarp area, eh pappy?
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2004 at 08:39 AM
ZZzactly!!

Sounds like a story regarding Pappy may be in order. We promise not to laugh hahahahahahaha
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2004 at 09:04 AM

Pappy and I were at Punta Santa Maria in the big El Nino swell of '97, after driving down to FINALLY catch Santa Rosalillita with a big swell and to surf the fabled point waves, only to find it blowing apart at the point into a bunch of choppy peaks......boo hoo, skunked. Anyway, we headed to Maria, which wasn't much better, but huge. We set up camp and it started to rain so we put up the blue plastic tarp a la jr and sat watching the rain....but it was cold. So, how to have a fire in the rain? Well, we lit a small fire just far enough in under the tarp to keep most of the rain off it and yet keep us warm....it was kind of sketchy but it worked! So, no funny punchline jr, although it was tempting to have the tarp go up in flames in the story:biggrin:
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2004 at 09:20 AM
Darn,

I too have not had any Tripui incidents with my tarps. Yet. And I've had many a fire under em.
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 7-24-2004 at 09:22 AM

OP here. Thanks everyone. Planning to just wander to Todos Santos and back, do some fishing. I'll have my dogs and XM radio for company. Didn't consider it might rain so leaning towards the small camper.
pappy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2004 at 01:50 AM

in addition to the trip mexitron and i were on in 97, i have spent many a rainy night under a tarp, in the backyerd bbq'ing along with a small bonfire-works great and keeps you warm!also, the sleeping back rolled up in atarp( the hoydog approach) works wonders.mexitron , myself and two others were up on mesa avion with howling winds and ice but the tarps wrapped around our bags kept us nice and dry....:D
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2004 at 03:45 PM
Pappy, Dave, Huddo photo by Mexitron

Mesa Uribe Oasis on hike from Mesa el Avion... More photos at http://community-2.webtv.net/TheBaja/mexitron

Amigos de Baja

[*] posted on 9-11-2004 at 07:00 PM
Camper

:lol:
A camper can sure put a dent in that north wind.

Amigos de Baja

http://groups.msn.com/AmigosDeBaja
FrankO
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2004 at 09:30 PM
Get a pop up

Tent like camping off the ground and room for all your stuff. Get a 12 volt fridge. You'll be stoked.
mcgyver
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2004 at 05:12 AM

Frank O, I am with you, tent camping is for the youngest generation. I just aquired a"Four Wheel" Ranger popup for my Tacoma, it is so easy to popup & down.
Light weight,gas & 12 volt Frig, Stove, lights and lots of stowage. I have added folding step and grab bar to the rear and locks front and rear for when the top in down. Hope I get to use it soon . I have wanted one every since I saw Neal Johns's poptop and some of the places he goes with it in Baja.

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.