BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  17    19    21
Author: Subject: UPDATE -***FULL CIRCLE - CHIEF RESIDENT OPERATES ON UNCLE ALEX - The Little Girl Who Woluld Become a Brain Surgeon (Chapter 4...
akmaxx
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2015 at 07:21 PM
Another update from the ALMOST Doctora

Couldn't have picked a stronger candidate for success. Here is her latest update for those of you who donated anonymously:

I hope your day is going very well, I also wish to let you know how things are going in the ALMOST doctor world.

I'm in my 8th month of the internship, the last three have been a marathon, well every month of the internship is, but this time I started the year in neurosurgery, it was amazing as always, a lot of learning, performed my first thracheostomy, placed central lines and intubated a lot! It was wonderful!

The next month was trauma surgery also known here as "legal" surgery because is where they operate any patient who's injuries are related to a traumatic and further legal event, like accidents, gunshot wounds, knife wounds, and it is an amazing service but it is also the most unpredictable one, one second you are sitting reading your medical books and the next you have to run like crazy and take patients to the OR and most of the time spend the whole (day-night) there, residents ( as an old tradition) have to stay there permanently for a month, they are very tired by the end of it so we try to help them as much as possible.

Had the craziest cases like a girl who shot herself while playing with a revolver, for no special reason, at the very same time a guy was working in his hardware store when somebody tried to rob him and kill him so we had two amazing surgeries at the same time, both patients exit the OR intubated but got better later in the week and got discharge a week later in a much better condition.
This month I'm in the OB-GYN wing of the hospital, in this hospital they do a lot of cessation since it is a high speciality center and they only admit the complicated cases, still is a good rotation and a required one.

I'm very thankful for all the help you have provided me over the years, I'm very thankful that you are still with me in this long yet exciting journey of medical school and internship and I always thank god for giving me in you the angels who helped me become something, thanks to you I know think everything is possible, and even when I'm puzzled with difficult times in life I always remember, miracles DO exist! I'm living one!

God bless you!

Sincerely,
Emilia
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2015 at 11:22 AM

Excellent, thanks for the update.
jbcoug
Senior Nomad

Mood: Needing Baja!

[*] posted on 3-16-2015 at 02:52 PM

I never get tired of hearing about her experiences! How fortunate we are that Maxx put us in a place where we could help this young lady, even if in a small way.

\"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person.\" Andy Rooney
akmaxx
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2015 at 07:02 PM
Thanks JB....

I only added to her momentum by letting Nomads know of her situation. I think Emilia would have figured out how to get cooking sooner or later because she is one smart cookie.

Peace,:bounce:
akmaxx
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2015 at 09:41 AM
Five years have passed and produced a doctor - Un milagro y gracias a todos

Basic schooling is over and now onto public service and special training with the hopes of obtaining residency for neurosurgery around the Pacific Northwest.

She couldn't have done it without all her special NOMAD donors.

Pat yourselves on the back.

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2015 at 10:10 AM

That is awesome news! Congrats all around. :dudette:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

jbcoug
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2015 at 12:10 PM

This whole episode has flown by so quickly! It's hard to believe that this young lady with big dreams has already graduated. She is one class act! Looking forward to following the next step.

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2015 at 10:22 PM

and we have a DOCTORA!!! Akmaxx- thanks so much for taking us on this journey.....a dreamer from Mulege who will certainly make a difference in this world.

What a moment.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
EngineerMike
Nomad

Mood: piso mojado

[*] posted on 7-8-2015 at 05:48 PM

Its been an incredible journey. Emi nursed herself through sleeplessness, anemia, pounding study schedules, and more. She met her inspiration, Dr. Q and hob-nobbed w/him. And went from a teenager to an accredited physician. All while we watched and cheered her on.
Un Milagro, Claro que Si!! Que bella!!

Emi mentioned at one time she would like to be stationed in Mulege or Sta.Rosalia to do her social service. I'm sure it would be nice to be near her familia again for an extended period. Not sure that's an option, however; they'll probably send our Medico to Chiapas or Juarez.

Thanks a million Maxx, for accepting this challenge of organizing support. Without your efforts, Emi almost certainly would not have made it over the threshold to start the trip. Its amazing how time flies, seems like just yesterday this journey started.

Mulege has another aspiring medico- Emma Laura Castro. Emma was straight 10's & first place all three years of "prepa." She has applied to the same school Emi has just completed, and to the med school in Colima. Keep your fingers crossed. Exam results are due out from UdG 23 July, from UCOL 7 Aug. With any luck...

Director, Mulege Student Scholarship Program
Oasis Rio Baja #M-3, & Auburn, CA
akmaxx
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2015 at 08:23 AM
The Sweet Smile of Success

Thanks to everybody for the support. I have no doubt Emi will pay it forward when she is able. A great thing for Mulege and her Nomad supporters.

Peace,
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2015 at 10:04 AM

The more I think about her, the more PROUD I am of her!

Is Mulege going to pump out doctoras???? Bring it on ladies!

Come visit La Bocana

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
EngineerMike
Nomad

Mood: piso mojado

[*] posted on 7-9-2015 at 10:31 AM

The med school trajectory in Mexico is fundamentally different than in the States (not sure about Canada). Emi went straight to med school from high school, whereas in the States she would have gone thru a "pre-med" 4 year degree as part of the weed-out process to demonstrate the student is up to a high level of competition & output. Its a massively larger shift of mental gears for the student in Mexico, since the curriculum is essentially the same (e.g. in either case a med student doesn't 'study' anatomy & physiology, she memorizes it). So the threshold to get accepted in Mexico has to be substantially higher.

As a result, the Mexican student sees a radically more dramatic shift in schedule, focus, etc. coming from comparatively lazy high school demands straight into a med school grind. But kids are adaptable, and motivated kids (like Emi was, past tense as she's a kid no more) can take the ball & run as fast as needed.

I love this story. Thanks, Emi for all your hard work (and all that yet still to come), and thanks again to Maxx!

Director, Mulege Student Scholarship Program
Oasis Rio Baja #M-3, & Auburn, CA
akmaxx
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2015 at 09:42 PM
Life as a young Doctor - Update from The Little Girl from Mulege

Ahhhhh...............

I hope you summer is going great so far, mine is amazing since I got the opportunity to see my family in Mulege who I love and miss very much.

I will like to update you on what is going on with medical school so far, after five very hard study years were there were tears, sleeplessness and many other struggles, but also laughs and wonderful experiences I will always hold on to, we finished medical school and graduated! I say we because that is what really happened, WE did it! If it weren’t for all your support both economical and emotional I don’t think I will have made it, so I want to tell you just how grateful I am to you for all this help over the last five year, thank you very much for every good word of support and thank you very much for trusting me in this road. I am aware that the odds were against this mission but despite that WE conquered it! Now I can call myself a doctor thanks to you. Please be sure that whatever good comes from it is due to your good actions starting five years ago.

Now what happens after medical school and internship in Mexico?

First, even though I have graduated I am still a student in the University of Guadalajara for another year because in order to obtain a federal certification and be able to prescribe drugs and work on my own in general medicine or move into residency first I need to complete a year of community service.

Usually the students of the University of Guadalajara end up going to very isolated parts of Jalisco, Michoacan, Nayarit, Guerrero, Zacatecas to complete this year, fewer get to stay in the big hospitals in the city and this is decided due to your grades, I was lucky enough (and worked hard enough) to be one of the lucky ones who gets to stay in the hospital and practice medicine in a 3rd level center.

You have to choose a clinic to do this and I choose the Blood donation clinic where, basically, what I will do is promote altruist blood donation in all population sectors and when people donate but unfortunately we detect that there is an infection such as HIV, HEPATITIS, ETC. I will call them and ask them to come back into the hospital to have a second test run. If they test positive I will give them the necessary information and take them to the infectious disease clinic to get treatment .

Also I will be studying for my ENARM and what is this?

Basically is the equivalent of board certification, except even if you pass there are very few residency programs available, so 50, 000 aspirant apply every year and compete for 5,000 residency programs, therefore only 10% of those applying will get admitted in a residency training anywhere in Mexico. In order to prevent not being able to specialize as I have always wanted to I have already started studying for it. It is different from the USMLE steps in many ways because it is as if you took all those examinations and made it into one big exam that will be hosted for me in September 5th 2016, so there is time to make it right and I’m very excited and working hard on it.

Well I hope I didn't bore you with all this technical stuff I just really want to say, from my heart, thank you very much for all your support. You have been amazing to me, you are my guardian angels and I thank god very much everyday for having you in my life.

Sincerely,

Dra. Emilia G.V. Buckovecs.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2015 at 01:16 AM

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Come visit La Bocana

jbcoug
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2015 at 10:04 AM

I received this from Emilia yesterday as well, she is a class act!

Love seeing Dra. in front of her name!

BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 7-23-2015 at 03:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by EngineerMike  
Mulege has another aspiring medico- Emma Laura Castro. Emma was straight 10's & first place all three years of "prepa." She has applied to the same school Emi has just completed, and to the med school in Colima. Keep your fingers crossed. Exam results are due out from UdG 23 July, from UCOL 7 Aug. With any luck...

Today is the 23rd! Keeping my fingers crossed.
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2015 at 04:25 PM

This is such a wonderful story. It's hard to believe 5 years went by so quickly. It's so nice to see that she "made it" !!!

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
Sharrone
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2015 at 09:51 AM

I am so thrilled for her, and gad I could help in a small way. :bounce:
Ricardo
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2015 at 05:31 PM

Hi everyone, well Emilia made us very proud but just remember she will not be getting paid for the next year. I remember how tough it was after I graduated from university, no money and no job. I think we should consider helping her out for this next year. I know I will be.
Just letting you know.
Rick
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2015 at 09:37 PM

Great thought! I will gladly send some too.

Come visit La Bocana

Pages:  1  ..  17    19    21

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.