BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: How to Get Married in Baja.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 7-19-2010 at 12:50 PM
How to Get Married in Baja.

HOW TO GET MARRIED IN BAJA

"Christmas carols always brought tears to my eyes. I also cry at weddings. I should have cried at a couple of my own."
First thing to do is...have a couple's only dinner party and draw straws to see who gets married.

Note: For the purpose of this thread..and due in no small part to the loose marriage laws established lately in our 'culture'... the term 'couple' means two of the same species..and further narrows the field to mean only homo sapiens. No 'couples' involving llamas, German Shepards, or gerbils were invited to participate.

Okay, okay, so I'm kidding....kinda. Nowadays you can never be 100% sure about these things. :)

Now......on with The Actual Marriage in Baja:
This last spring, our amigos from Italy, Roberto y Daniella, informed us that they were planning to get married in Mulege, a long-time favorite place for them in Baja Sur. Co-pilot and Daniella are best friends since forever in Italy. I have known the couple since our chance meeting at Playa Naranjos in the late 80's when our fates intertwined during a Jeep rollover caused by a suicidal rabbit crossing the old twisted trail....

...but that's another story altogether.

Roberto y Daniella are senior capitan and airline attendant respectively, with the same airline company as Co-pilot, namely Alitalia.

They wanted thier ceremony to take place at the Mulege Mission Church, which is certainly an appropriate setting for this historical event. For this wedding to take place requires diligent organization for a foreigner in Mexico..not impossible or even very hard, but a task nevertheless.

First, it was to be a Catholic ceremony with Padre Daniel of Mulege acting as the wedding priest. That denominational factor alone added some special requirements...which we will report on later in this saga.

The couple had met the padre previously on thier annual vacations to Playa Naranjos and became friends, then corresponding between Rome/Mulege to prepare for this wedding.

The following are the true events as they transpired:

Prior to thier Baja arrival, we (Co-pilot & I) were requested to be part of the wedding ceremony and to make our introductions to Padre Daniel while hand-delivering a letter of intent sent from Daniella in Rome. Co-pilot was to be a bridesmaid of honor. When I asked what my ceremonial designation was to be...I was asked, "Do you own a corkscrew?"

Now....where to find the padre?

I deduced that the sure place to find a padre would be ..?? ..aha, eureka!! No, no.. not Eureka, Ca. but a church, you ninny. We lucked out. I remembered where one was...about 3 blocks east of the El Candil saloon or 2 1/2 from Alex's Mesquite Bar. I had seen the place once when I had to park that far away from my stool some years ago.

We go in search of Father Daniel. Some of us know how to dress properly for church .....and not smell of baitfish....sigh

We find Padre Daniel and he is fine fellow, indeed. We introduce ourselves as friends of Daniella y Roberto's and give him Dani's letter. He has already recieved word on our impending visit and has a present ready for each of us..rosaries blessed by him and in a nice case. Mine has become a high-prized possession that now accompanies me to Texas Hold-Em poker 3 times a week at Ana's bistro on Santispac Beach. I wouldn't be without that card holder. I am glad I met Padre Daniel...very glad.

I go to to church more often these days.

The bride and groom arrive in Baja from Italy...and the Wedding Plan gets into full swing...

----------------------------TO BE CONTINUED SOON------------------------------

Note: FYI. If you plan on getting married in Mexico:

The Legalities."

Legal Requirements for getting married in Mexico

Documents Required for Civil Office:

-Home address and occupations (bride & groom)

-Birth certificates (Original or certified copy of each one)

-Valid passports (Although passports are not required for US citizens for entry into Mexico, they are mandatory for weddings)

-Original blood test (to determine blood type, HIV and STD). Tests must be taken at the resort and results are ready within 24 hours (Fee of approximately $50.00 per person applies)

-Certified copy of former spouse's death certificate (If applicable)*

-Certified copy of Divorce decree (If applicable)*. If divorced more than once, please bring each divorce decree with the Apostille attached.

-Legal documentation of adoption or name change (if applicable)*

-Tourist ID. Names on Tourist ID and Passport MUST be the same.

-Name, age, nationality, home address, occupation, passport and tourist ID of 4 witnesses. Witnesses must arrive two (2) days prior to ceremony.

-Bride and Groom must arrive at least 3 working days prior to the wedding ceremony to meet with the wedding officials and submit all documents.

-Ceremony will not be performed unless all documents are in order. (no exceptions). All documents become the property of Mexico. Important - If the Bride or Groom's nationality is Mexican, additional documents are required.

-4 Witnesses, if not Mexican nationals, then their valid passport and FMT tourist cards are required (Tourist card be given to you by the airline and stamped by the Immigration Officer upon arrival in Mexico)

Important Notes:
-** Do Not Send Documents by Mail **

- Mexican registry office is only open from Monday through Saturday
* An Apostille Document MUST be attached to divorce decrees, death certificates, Adoption and name change documents. For information on how to obtain the Apostille document please contact the Secretary of State's office or visit

www.state.gov/www/authenticate or www.coordinatedlegal.com/secretaryOfState

TO BE CONTINUED:

[Edited on 7-23-2010 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
akmaxx
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2010 at 01:53 PM
good thing you are taking careful notes..Who know who may be next

bajabass
Super Nomad

Mood: Want to fish!!!

[*] posted on 7-19-2010 at 01:59 PM

I'm waiting for the next chapter. I can't remember all the hoops I had to jump through to get married in Ensenada. I just gave Mrs. Dra. Bajabass a fist full of papers, money, and blood. I do know it was both a civil and religous ceremony. I signed more documents during the ceremony than it takes to buy a car, or join the Marine Corps. Thumb prints too. Oh well, it was worth it:yes: In comparison, we walked into the O.C. courthouse with a drivers licence and my wife's Mexican visa, 20 minutes later, done deal!
BajaBruno
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 7-19-2010 at 02:14 PM

We took sort of the same path as Mr. & Mrs. Dra. Bajabass. I saw the absurd number of hoops to jump through to marry a Mexican, and decided on a short, pleasant (secret) wedding at the San Francisco courthouse and then the "real" ceremony in Acapulco. No Mexican forms were filed, which probably means that Mexico doesn't recognise our marriage, but the rest of the world does.

Christopher Bruno, Elk Grove, CA.
grace59
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2010 at 02:49 PM

Pompano! The next installement please! This is better than watching Novellas!

Whenever I hear that rainy, chill wind blow. I think it may be time to head for Mexico. Tengo que obedecer mi corazon!
Trueheart
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2010 at 02:53 PM

Pompano:

Actually, we have considered getting married in Baja in the future. We have discussed having the ceremony on the beach in front of friends and relatives, using a minister (friend) from the U.S. who we would bring with us. Sounds like we may have a problem given your rules for marriage in Baja? We have been together for years, most of those in a "fiance" situation (it's not a question of if, only when). Hey, I won't let this lady get away from me as she puts up with me too well and takes too good of care of me. Besides, we're best friends.

Enjoying your post as usual.

Steve
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2010 at 03:21 PM

Pompano

Next time you can do it!

http://www.themonastery.org/

Cut the red tape!

Iflyfish
bajabass
Super Nomad

Mood: Want to fish!!!

[*] posted on 7-19-2010 at 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBruno
We took sort of the same path as Mr. & Mrs. Dra. Bajabass. I saw the absurd number of hoops to jump through to marry a Mexican, and decided on a short, pleasant (secret) wedding at the San Francisco courthouse and then the "real" ceremony in Acapulco. No Mexican forms were filed, which probably means that Mexico doesn't recognise our marriage, but the rest of the world does.
I truly wanted to be legally married in both countries.:yes: It really streamlined my wife and stepson being and working in the country from a nightmare to a cake walk! We had planned on staying here for ten years at least. Now, less than 3 years later, I'm selling it all,(not that much), and moving to Mexico for good.:bounce: Being married in Mexico is going to have similar benifits as far as immigration, working, ownership laws, for me. Not that I plan on working, but owning a house for sure, and maybe a business down the road. :?:
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2010 at 08:52 AM

Les and I (Americans) married on our front porch in our La Bocana home 2+ years ago. Being that we are in a small village, it was really easy and the local judge conducted the ceremony. Then we took the paperwork to the US and had my name changed on soc sec and driver's license then and passport this year. My brother from NY was one of our witnesses, Les's friend from San Diego was another .... There were LOTS of forms to sign ... but it was quite easy to do, everything considered ...

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2010 at 10:07 AM
How to Get Married in Baja..the Saga: Chapter 2

CHAPTER 2:

Update...

The soon-to-be-weds arrive in Baja, by way of Rome - Miami - Los Angeles, a flight of about 7500 miles. Getting thier stored SUV out of storage, they made thier usual 2-day drive to Mulege with no mishaps or weird circumstances.....which would be unusual in itself for me..I always have some life-altering events on that highway. :yes:

They arrive in Conception Bay and we are estatic to see Roberto y Daniela, and the girls. Hugs and kisses around.

Co-pilot cries happy tears ......

...and announces that the whole gang must be fed immediately.

IT has begun....the clock is now running...

The Wedding Plan - Step 1

We feast, have fun with the girls, and I dutifully clean some sauce from Co-pilot's hand & arm....

A fact I have found out about women. They are stange creatures. Seems that Happiness is washing dishes after having friends for dinner...

...uh, yeah...sure. :rolleyes:

The Wedding Plan - Step 2
Naturally, the very first thing to do in any wedding plan is have another party on mi patio. (It knows parties...around No. 400, I believe..:) )

..plus some dancing at Ana's and a few dinners here and there...

Note: Co-pilot is urging me to get on the Road, so this will be continued later today or tonight.

TO BE CONTINUED:

bajadave1
Nomad

thumbup.gif posted on 7-20-2010 at 01:29 PM
Once Again

Pompano, yet another well knit story.
Wish you and right seater lived closer. would be nice to meet such fun&friendly people. Looking forward to next posting.
:bounce::bounce::bounce:
Dave
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2010 at 07:17 PM
How to Get Married in Baja..the Saga: Chapter 3-4

================================================================================
The Wedding Plan continues:

Chapter 3

Patio Party to welcome the prospective bride & groom.

Ah...bruschettas...yum.

This has become one of my favorite dinner treats..can be a snack or an appetizer. I love 'em! Toasted rounds of good crusty bread brushed with extra virgin olive oil, fresh minced garlic, and chopped tomatos. Simple and gooooood.

The gals are getting REALLY HAPPY now...y'think?...:rolleyes:

(note to self: buy more dish soap)

Two parties down and some to go......."And the beat goes on."

We regain our breath, put the cleaned glasses and dishes away, and got a good night's sleep.

Chapter 4

The next chapter of the Wedding Plan was to be.... Dinner and a Dance.... at Ana's, Santispac Beach

SALUD!

Ana's is a great place for wedding planner's..:bounce::yes:

"..and the beat goes on..again."

TO BE CONTINUED ...after dinner tonight here in Coos Bay.

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2010 at 08:06 AM
How to Get Married in Baja..the Saga: Chapter 5

Chapter 5 - Wedding License Day at Mulege Hacienda.

The countdown continues as the wedding party members awake at Playa Naranjos, Burros Beach, & Coyote Bay.

Today is to be the day the Marriage License is obtained at the Hacienda in Mulege...a mighty document.

But first....

A stroll down the beach whets the appetite for breakfast..marveling at Nature's gifts.

Ah, a great morning, but the clock is running, girls...we have to get this show on the road. Tea with lemon is made, (I had my 2 cups of java a long, long time ago), milk is poured, hot cocoa is made..sipped once, then forgotten, lollipops are taken away, breakfast is eaten, showers taken, girl hair is combed, dresses put on, warpaint applied, warpaint is scrubbed off little girls who want to look like Mommy. Driver/wrangler requests all get in the car for the 3rd and final time!

Aha! They are actually in the car! So... Now....On with the Wedding Plan.

Today we have made plans to meet in outside the Hacienda bldg in downtown Mulege at 11:00 AM.

Wonder of wonders, Roberto has not bolted. And it goes according to The Plan..we meet in the street right on the minute.

More hugs, kisses, and all that stuff...plus a glimpse of the wedding garter. :)

We are all gathered at the office...exactly 11:00 AM
This may be the first time in history 5 females have been on time. :rolleyes:

Hmmmm...The office of licensing is directly across from the Justice of the Peace court. A coincidence?

It is the day to sign all necessary documents to obtain the marriage license, plus register all documents, witnesses, and verify thier identifications.

There is a flurry of flambouyant signatures, shuffling of papers, staccato rubber-stamping, grins.

It all went very smoothly and efficiently...with just ONE incident..:rolleyes:

I looked at the document, realized I was in a marraige licensing office...and momentarily froze...my heartbeat went erractic.
Roberto assured me that it was NOT ME getting married....Calmed but wary, I got my hands out of my pockets and signed as a witness. However, I signed as 'Pompano'..why take a chance?

The deed is done...all documents & signatures are okayed. The license has been obtained! The clock seems to be running faster.

Rob y Daniela call it a day at the license office. Bravo, amigos! A job well done.

Now it's time to move on...to the next item on How to Get Married in Baja.

..plus, I think its' time for some nerve tonic.

[Edited on 7-21-2010 by Pompano]

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2010 at 08:44 AM
How to Get Married in Baja..the Saga: Chapter 6

Chapter 6

The Dress

Custom..actually superstition... dictates that the groom should not see the bride in her wedding gown before the ceremony. Why, you ask? It's an ancient tradition, of course. Personally, I figure it's like waving a red flag at a bull...or an aircraft deck flagman waving a badly approaching plane off....but then, I could be wrong.

Daniella had packed her beautiful custom made gown in a vacuum-sealed bag for the flight from Italy. She put it in Co-pilot's care, who unpacked it and hung it in one of our spare bedrooms..safe until the day of the wedding, which was not that far away now...

tick-tock, tick-tock...Steady, Roberto, steady.
Maybe it's time for another dinner?

...or maybe a palapa break?...

[Edited on 7-21-2010 by Pompano]

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2010 at 09:47 AM
How to Get Married in Baja..the Saga: Chapter 7

Chapter 7

The Rehearsal

Padre Daniel

Part of The Wedding Plan is the priest visiting the proposed marrying couple at thier places of residence..thier home... to ascertain the manner and quality of thier life style and to offer guidance on how to live together in a harmonious environment.

Amen...I'm all for that.

Padre Daniel thus visits Roberto y Daniella at thier Playa Naranjos palapa on the beach..a beautiful tranquil setting if ever there was one. He sees that they are sane people, have a quality home life with the children, and have some 'unique' friends visiting at the same time. Padre Daniel also leads a rehearsal of the upcoming wedding ceremony with all the participants, including best man, maid of honor, ringbearers, etc, etc.

A welcome addition to his visit, Padre Daniel surprises and entertains us with his guitar and singing talents.

Music of The BeeGees...Perfect for a beach palapa visit. Bravo, Padre!

Now that's what I call a perfect wedding rehearsal. Baja-style.

TO BE CONTINUED

ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2010 at 09:54 AM

Who's next?

Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2010 at 10:02 AM

I do.....er, ahh, hmmm I mean I do want the rest of the story.

Iflyfish
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 7-21-2010 at 10:04 AM

Dazzling Roger. All the best to the newlyweds. This was much more impressive than when I did it in about 50 years ago! :)

carpe diem!
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2010 at 07:01 AM
How to Get Married in Baja..the Saga: Chapters 8-9

Chapter 8

Countdown is now less than 24 hours away. "There's still time!"

Today's event: Wedding Party Dinner at Equipales, Mulege

We all meet up with the rest of the wedding party in town at El Candil, where Co-pilot insisted I have a Pacifico or two. We meet Roberto and Daniela's fellow countrymen and amigos who have flown in from Rome...Fabio and Erika, a delightful couple who quickly became our amigos, too.

We converge upon Francisco's Equipales Restaurant downtown Mulege. A delightful second story cafe where you can watch the town drive by below. Lookouts can be hired to warn you of aprroaching wives, husbands, or timeshare salesmen.

Upon entering we meet other fellow nomads who are eating there, too. Hi Laurieboats and Jim.

Laurieboats & Co-pilot relate story after story about my fishing skills...uh huh..oh yeah..you betcha.

Pablo, the waiter, says..."Rogelio, they are talking about you?
But...I have been fishing with you. I am so sorry."

(Note: pull Pablo aside for a discussion on tips)
Francisco greets us with his usaul charm and grace..a fine hombre.

The mood is muy festive...the BIG DAY is coming FAST!

Ah..this is one of those great things about Baja..good comraderie and fellowship in a tranquil setting. Add a wedding of friends, plus Francisco's fine food ....now what could be better!

We had a variety of dishes at Equipales, all good. Steaks, lobster, shrimp, fish, mapache..plus some fine margaritas.

At Ease..a time for reflections and random thoughts.

(Hmm..I am still dazzled by the amount of THINGS women can pack into a bathroom. I counted over 400 separate objects..only 10 that I could identify without my search engine.

I have 6 items...a toothbrush, shaving cream, razor, a bar of Dial soap, a plunger, and a towel from the Holiday Inn.

...which reminds me ...I forgot to put on socks again..sigh.)

"Francisco..is this my margarita?"

..and why are all these people speaking Italian?..

=======================================================================
=======================================================================

Chapter 9

Intermission: "Waterworld"

tick-tick-tick-tick. D-day approaches...time is running out. Almost time to play, "Here Comes The Bride."

We were talking after the guests had left for the day and thought that it's time the Wedding Party took a day off..the group needs a break from all that feasting, dancing, and carryings-on. (Hey, wait a goshdarn minute...What am I saying! That was all great FUN....and we should do it again and again...and we will.) :yes:

Co-pilot and I discuss our options for some R&R. I offered this,
"Jeep ride in the mountains and desert? Clamming? Volleyball? Shopping tour of Mulege? Poker at Ana's...??"

"Why are you frowning, tesoro?"

I said,Okay, okay..the little girls would probably try to fill an inside straight, anyway...SO...How about getting up-close and personal with some porpoise? Maybe have them catch some pintos?"

She said, "Yes, porpoise and pintos! Que bello. Grazie!"

"Done deal, then. Stow me grog, lass...and we'll all take a searide in the Yarcraft, by gar."

So..in the wee hours before dawn, Co-pilot and I head out to sea to watch the sunrise come over the horizon, but most important..I want to check the water first hand. Online forecasters are usually very good, but this time we'll have children aboard soon and don't need rough water. I have the time and opportunity..nothing beats seeing it for yourself.

Note: Co-pilot is not exactly fond of bumpy water either..."I don like Waves!" was her first broadcast over the marine radio a few months back.

Good news...I dunno about the fishing, but it looks to be a perfect day to be on the water.

We spot some porpoise off Conception Pt, some spouts in the distance, flat, flat water..perfect...

..and return into The Bay/Playa Naranjos to meet Rob, Daniela, and the girls....and say Hi to Scarecrow over there loading his panga.

We decide the rubber ducky is not quite suited for our proposed porpoise purpose...

It's a lazy day with no set plans, so we sightsee bit on the peninsula side. We pull in close to the holding pen used by some local fishermen.

Nothing in it today, though..but plenty of birds hanging around ..waiting, waiting.

We go beachcombing on a 'deserted' island....well, almost deserted anyway.

"Hey, everyone..how about a nice fish dinner tonight?.nothing too fancy...just some tasty pintos."

Everyone agreed that sounded pretty good and we get some fishing gear ready.

Clearing the Bay, I head for an area I know near the old mine just south of Conception Point. It's a normally great spot to easily catch a mess of fish, pintos, snapper, cabrilla, and sometimes the odd yellowtail. It's labeled No Brainer Hole on my gps.

I put 3oz darts of various colors on some jigging rigs and we let them down over the hump of rocks 255 feet below. It did not take more than a few seconds before we had fish on...they were hungry!

Roberto did an excellent job of helping his daughters catch thier first fish. Those smiles are priceless!

Mine put up a helluva fight, but I finally managed to bring him to gaff....what you are looking at is a 125 lb wahoo. Should feed us all and then some.

That hand in the photo is just something I photoshopped as a prank.

We round out the day on the water with a general beachcombing of Playa Domingo. The girls collected 1,374 shells and starfish before the Yarcraft starting taking on water.

A fine day with good friends.

...ON WITH THIS WEDDING....IT APPROACHES FAST!

Bajame
Nomad

Mood: Baja Dreamin

[*] posted on 7-22-2010 at 10:47 AM

How Fun!!! It seems that everyone had a blast! Makes one want to get married again, ah, almost?

We all want a peaceful world, filled with love and laughter, but we fill ourselves with anger and hate trying to fiqure out how to achive it.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.