Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Destination - Mag Bay
beachbum1A
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2010 at 07:36 AM
Destination - Mag Bay

Destination - Mag Bay

My amigo & I have set aside 3 weeks near the end of August for a camping/fishing/exploring trip down into Baja Sur. We’re leaving Ensenada & will be towing a 12 ft aluminum boat, dry camping on beaches off set by an occasional day or two at motels. Our loose plan now is to include stops at Morro Santo Domingo (been here before), Mulege/Bahia Concepcion, Bahia Asuncion (gotta meet Shari & Juan), and finally Bahia Magdalena (never been here).

From what I’ve been reading it appears that the upper panhandle area is the better area for our kind of small boat fishing – especially near Puerto Lopez Mateos (PLM).
Is this true?
Any suggestions where to camp and where to launch our boat? We really don’t want to be too close to the town of PLM if possible.

Just do it!
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2010 at 08:22 AM

Seems to me you're missing a lot of the sweetest coves in the Gulf. Big advantage - you have a boat. Bahia de los Angeles? There's about 40 miles of severely potholed road between Vizcaino and the turnoff to Bahia Asuncion.
b1
Junior Nomad

Mood: Kicked it in neutral; hang'n cool.

[*] posted on 7-22-2010 at 03:48 PM

In February of 2007, for several weeks I camped and fished on the north bank of Estero Santo Domingo near the old light house. Fished up to and slightly beyond (north) Boca Santo Domingo but staying away from the Boca itself. Lots of fish... broomtail grouper, short-fin corvina, croakers, and a few flatties. 13' tin boat and still had to pay very close attention to the tides; ended up on the sand bars a lot. The velocity of the water with the changing tides is considerable. Lots of birds at that time of year, including geese. Was also visited a couple of times by the Army folks. Not too far into Santo Domingo itself for supplies. b1
msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2010 at 07:44 PM

La Posa Grande, the far north end of the esteros, has been great for us in the past. Very few people around, and no problems. Check "The baja catch", for details.
beachbum1A
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2010 at 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by b1
In February of 2007, for several weeks I camped and fished on the north bank of Estero Santo Domingo near the old light house. Fished up to and slightly beyond (north) Boca Santo Domingo but staying away from the Boca itself. Lots of fish... broomtail grouper, short-fin corvina, croakers, and a few flatties. 13' tin boat and still had to pay very close attention to the tides; ended up on the sand bars a lot. The velocity of the water with the changing tides is considerable. Lots of birds at that time of year, including geese. Was also visited a couple of times by the Army folks. Not too far into Santo Domingo itself for supplies. b1

Baja Catch shows the area you're describing real well. I think we'll certainly give this some consideration. I like the idea of being able to avoid going into Ci Constitucion for any supplies too!

Just do it!
beachbum1A
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2010 at 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by msteve1014
La Posa Grande, the far north end of the esteros, has been great for us in the past. Very few people around, and no problems. Check "The baja catch", for details.

Did you camp at the extreme north end by that shallow lake, where Baja Catch shows "camping and launching"?

Just do it!
b1
Junior Nomad

Mood: Kicked it in neutral; hang'n cool.

[*] posted on 7-23-2010 at 08:25 AM

I drove in from La Poza Grande to the "shallow lake" area described in Baja Catch. However, when I got there, I found myself in the midst of a full blown Mexican Army exercise, many armed soldiers and military vehicles. That is why is moved on south to Boca de Santo Domingo. If you fish this area, close attention will have to be paid to the tides as the changes in the water levels/sand bars becomes a real issue. b1

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.