BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Wind?...Did You Say - WIND?
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 7-24-2010 at 10:35 AM
Wind?...Did You Say - WIND?

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe

The comfort of the pacific is exaggerated a bit though. Nobody brings up the every day wind over there. Last month my son got bronchitis at Guerrero Negro as we drove from the Cortez to town. We went through a 40 degree weather change followed by 25 knot winds at Laguna Manuela, all in a few hours. The landlady at the hotel was always walking around with the shawl over her mouth for protection. Although they say GR is the windiest place in baja.

Hi from the beautiful, but windy, Oregon Coast.

Skipjack Joe's comment on Bob y Susan's thread, 'officially HOT!!', above prompted me to post this non-Baja report of the last 5 days on the Pacific Coast from Crescent City, California. to Newport, Oregon. July 19th to today, July 24th.

Other than the Mulege Chili Cook-Off, I think these may have been the windiest 5 days of my life...Oh-oh, I can hear the replies now. :rolleyes:

Our Paciific is windy, eh Igor? I agree. From south to north, here are the scenes from the last 5 days on the Pacific Coast:

(Note: Hey...it's looking good out there now...the whitecaps are gone from our birdbath.)

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2010 at 11:01 AM

Nice calendar shot, Roger....the one with the lighthouse.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 7-24-2010 at 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Nice calendar shot, Roger....the one with the lighthouse.

Thanks, Dennis..

That is the Heceta Head Light, built in 1894. On our tour, I found out that it's light can be seen 22 miles at sea.

Because of it's location along the Coast Road, I image it is one of the most photographed. About 11 miles north of Florence, Ore.

I've made this coast trip every year since 1974, and never fail to marvel at the scenery you find from Baja to Alaska.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
24baja
Senior Nomad

Mood: Wishing we were in BOLA

[*] posted on 7-24-2010 at 11:14 AM

Roger, our Oregon coast may be windy, but she sure is beautiful. Glad to see you in state! Let me know when the steelhead/salmon start to run, and if we are not off on a wildfire somewhere we will try to make it over to fish.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 7-24-2010 at 01:40 PM

stop by detroit lake and ask at the ranger stand for Billy. he's a good guy who'd love to talk baja over a fire and some "refrescos" at the cabin.

tell him woody sent 'cha......

bacquito
Super Nomad

Mood: jubilado

[*] posted on 7-24-2010 at 01:47 PM

Great photos, thats for posting. It has been many years since I traveled to Oregon, Washington.

bacquito
acadist
Super Nomad

Mood: Waiting for the Sun

[*] posted on 7-24-2010 at 03:37 PM

Love Crescent City! Are the Dougeness crab in season? Last time we went camping in that area about 6-7 years ago figured I was going to catch some salmon. Camped on the Klamath river, the dams had not been opened yet so the salmon were not running yet, had fun catching trout. Figured I would go out in the ocean.....spent the next day driving to different ports to decide which one. I don't remember the name but everyone was coming off the boat with 2 nice kings. Spent the next full day trolling for nada, found out when we got back that a pod of orca had been through the area the night before. Drove back to the river, drove up to the indian camp and bought a 19 lb salmon for dinner.

Dave
I moved to CO and they made me buy a little rod to make it feel like a real fish
BajaBruno
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 7-24-2010 at 10:03 PM

That is a pretty trip up H/W 1. I pulled my fifth wheel along that route and I was trapped in a couple of places I really didn't want to be, just because it was too damn windy to comfortably travel along that winding road (English is so fun...).

Christopher Bruno, Elk Grove, CA.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.