BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: BajaCactus, Baja Movie, Baja Meal, AUG. 22: "The Baja Cactus Cultural Fiesta"
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2004 at 03:26 AM
Home in one piece again.....

After 5 weeks on the road, Brendan and I (and the new "Baja Babe", my 5yr. old grand-daughter Payton....woops, I forgot, today, as of mid-night she is 6) Are home safe and sound. We met many old friends and several new...we visited a few that we only knew from the board and finally were able to put the names to the faces. It was especially a pleasure to meet Antonio (Baja Cactus), .....I learned and laughed as I heard storys of the history of El Rosario) I met Keri who left a message on my cell phone offering help when my 4Runner broke down in San Diego (thanks for the offer of help!) ,

Much thanks to Dave at the New York Deli (who fed the kids and I although he was closed) I had the Pastrami (yes David, I had it with mustard!) :rolleyes: :O

And mucho thanks to "Banco Humfreville" had it not been for your wonderful friendship, we would have gotten the rig fixed only to have to turn back for Seattle. (that would have been a major BUMMER!)........(I'll explain more in email, but Oct. is looking GOOD!, can you handle 4 more crazy people from Port Orchard?)

and David.....Thanks for being the "big-mouth" that you are, ...as Choral called you, your "Baja Connection" thing saved my butt, thanks for all your help, if not for your "ralling the troops" I'd probebly still be in San Diego scratching my head wondering what to do. (or sticking my thumb out) :o
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2004 at 08:06 AM
Jefe

I can probably help you out with the bamboo. Where in east cape and when will you be down there?
Bamboo needs a minimum of 3 months to dry prior to using it for construction and should also be treated in one way or another for bug proof.
Let me know what I can do to help. We also do bamboo construction if you need assistance with your project.
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2004 at 08:12 PM

Thanks David.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-13-2004 at 12:48 AM

The total itinerary and details for Aug. 22 will be first emailed to all those with reservations, then posted here. The event Antonio has planned for us is out of this world and makes my Viva Baja party look like child's play! We are truly fortunate that Antonio came to Nomad and is such a cool hombre!

Wait untill you read what PalmAzul has in store for us for 'Peninsular Cuisine'!!! After a full day of movies (Ocean Oasis and Bajo California), museum tours, snacks, music, friendships, door prizes... our only cost is the museum/theatre parking and the gourmet Baja dinner and that even comes with a free glass of wine!

We still have some seats available, so email in your RSVP to info*at*vivabaja.com (*at*= @) ASAP! Don't miss being at the FIRST annual Baja Cactus Cultural Event. Many of the Nomad regulars are coming as well as many of the brand new Nomads. Full details will have maps and directions from the border... it is easy to get to the Tijuana Cultural Center (CECUT) in the Zona Rio district.

Hasta la vista Nomads!

[Edited on 8-13-2004 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

Mood: Helpful

[*] posted on 8-13-2004 at 07:03 PM
CECUT....!!!!

The Cultural Center of Tijuana (CECUT )....!!!

In 1982 The Tijuana Cultural Center opened with the main goal of strengthening our Cultural identity in the Northern Mexico border region and to promote Mexican and US cultural tourism.

The following is a list of services at the Center:

Anthropological Exhibit....

The lobby of the Museum houses rotating exhibits. Since 2002 it has had an exhibit from the Museum of Anthropology of M?xico City..........
(BajaCactus Cultural Fiesta begins here)

Museum of the California's....

This permanent exhibit illustrates the History of Baja California peninsula. The display allows visitors to view events that have contributed to the region's identity.......
(BajaCactus Cultural Fiesta guests will get a private english guided tour of this)....

Reading Hall....

The reading hall offers free access to publications of humanistic contexts, particularly from authors of northern Mexico. This area is also an enclosure for book readings, presentations and chats with authors.............
(Here, we will have a private mini classical guitar concert by musician Vinicio Camacho, as well as some traditional Baja style appetizers)....

Video Hall....

This hall is the site for video art festivals, matinees for children and lectures......
(Bajo California showing will be in this area)....

Omnimax Theatre....

This State-of-the-art theatre has the latest technology to show films in the Omnimax format. The structure has been a Tijuana landmark since its construction.......
(A special showing in english of documental "Ocean Oasis" will be given here)...

Science area....

The Omnimax theatre lobby holds a science area that presents interactive exhibits.

Caracol Archeological Garden....

This outdoor garden displays Pre-Colombian artefacts from the Mesoamerican region..........
(We wil have an english guided tour of this area and plenty of time to chat with our new friends, finally we will have a lot of door prizes given away...!!!)

Theatre....

The CECUT theatre presents dance, music, and various performances with regional, national and international artists.

Temporary Exhibits.....

The Tijuana Cultural Center contains halls for temporary art and cultural exhibits.

Esplanade....

The esplanade outdoors is like scene to make artistic festivals that involve the community. In this space appear the Dominical Festivals, the Festival of the Jazz, Pop & Rock; in addition to infantile programs as Paint with Us, Summer Festivals.

I hope this gives you a better idea of things to come in our first BajaCactus Cultural Fiesta....!!!

This is all put together just for you.....BajaCactus and CECUT would love for you to join us...we still have a few sits available.......!!!:bounce::bounce::bounce:

[Edited on 8-14-2004 by BajaCactus]

BajaCactus
"Where Baja is so much more than a dream..."
pappy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2004 at 09:48 AM

i would like to go but it would be a bit much 9physically) to get there and back in one day and be fresh for new students on monday-especially having to get thru LA.hey Jack S. which is more demanding? the hike to SPM or trying to get thru LA??:lol:
BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2004 at 05:59 PM
About how to dress...

About how to dress....

There is no special dress code for this event....

We will be up and around all day.... sitting, standing, walking some more, sitting again..... .....so we better dress as casual and comfortable as we can....

Palma Azul has no problem with this neither.

Come with us... enjoy the show.... make new Baja friends....!!!:bounce::bounce::bounce:

There are few spaces left....but you can still get a place...

BajaCactus
BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2004 at 06:03 PM
Itinerary for the event....

The Baja Cactus Fiesta Itinerary (or what you will miss if you aren't there)

Here are the details...

BajaCactus Cultural Fiesta.............Sunday Aug. 22nd.

10:00 am - 10:30 am....Arrival and registration at the Museum's Lobby in the Tijuana Cultural Center (CECUT).

10:30 am - 11:20 pm...English guided tour of the Museum of the California's (in groups of 30).

11:20 am - 12:00 pm...Mini classical guitar concert at the "Reading Hall", by musician Vinicio Camacho, along with baja snacks and appetizers, brought exclusively for you directly from "Baja Sur" (goat cheese, "machaca burritos", olives, dates, coffee)

12:00 pm - 1:35 pm....Bajo California movie at the CECUT's Video Hall.

1:35 pm - 1:50 pm.....Free time to chat with your new friends.

1:50 pm - 2:00 pm.....Getting in line at the entrance of the Omnimax theater.

2:00 pm - 2:45 pm....Omnimax documental "Ocean Oasis", about the marine life of the Gulf of Cortez (in english).

2:45 pm - 3:30 pm....Small tour of the "Caracol Archeological Garden" (about 15 minutes), more free time to talk with your new friends, and then we will have the "Door prizes".

4:00 pm - .............Meal at Palma Azul (optional).

Parking at Cecut.

There is a parking inside the Cecut premises, they will charge $30 pesos (around 2.80 dlls) for up to 6 hours stay, and there is also parking around the Cecut (at the walksides) at no cost for anyone that does not want to spend that money (not recommended).

Getting to CECUT.

The easiest way to get to CECUT, is to cross the border at the San Ysidro-Tijuana port of entry.... here is an excellent link that shows the way....

http://wwwtijuanaonline.org/english/maps/tj_otay.htm

CECUT is the one with the number 10, located in grid 8-J.....If you still have any doubts, feel free to ask by e-mail.

Because we have so many things prepared for you, it is very important to do our best effort to be at 10:00 am sharp at the registration desk, so we can begin as soon as possible... CECUT staff is very punctual with their showings, so this event will not be on "mexican time"...........:)

All of the above is free.... a courtesy of BajaCactus just for you...!!!

Palma Azul Restaurant (optional)

Palma Azul will greet us with an english guided tour of their installations and a complimentary glass of Baja Californian wine.

Then, they will seat us in a private room next to the garden area, and the following menu will be prepared by their master chef Sebastien, just for our enjoyment:

Appetizzers at the center of the tables including:

-- Natural oysters
-- Natural clams.
-- Ceviche de pescado (fish cooked with lemon juice and fresh vegetables)
-- Cooked shrimps ready to peel.
-- "Machaca burritos" made from venison.
-- More burritos, made from marinated chicken.

For the main course, each one of us will have two options to choose from:

1.- Grilled fish accompanied by a "rice tamal", with a side of cooked vegetables and garlic sauce or....
2.- Marinated arrechera steak (made Baja California style), accompanied by nopal, beans, cambray onions and grilled chile.

And finally, as a dessert, they will treat us with a "cajeta flan" with caramel sauce over it (home made style).

Palma Azul is giving us a special price of $38 dlls for all these, plus 15% of taxes and tips, coming to a total of $43.70 dlls (Beverages not included).

Besides cash, Palma Azul restaurant takes credit and/or debit cards. They have free parking.

Getting to Palma Azul

There will be a printed map and directions at the register table at CECUT.

Antonio M.
BajaCactus
"Where the Baja is so much more than a dream..."

NOTE from David K: Only 10 seats left and 7 days to go!

BajaCactus
BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2004 at 08:17 PM
More door prizes......!!!!

As another door prize, BajaCactus is also given away three certificates for two people, one night FREE stay at BajaCactus Motel.... for any day of the year...!!!.....:bounce::bounce::bounce:

With so many door prizes, and things to do and SO MANY FRIENDS to talk about Baja.... are you sure you are not coming....??;)

Join us.... we still have few spaces available.....but not many.....:bounce::bounce::bounce:

[Edited on 8-15-2004 by BajaCactus]

BajaCactus
Markitos
Nomad

Mood: let me check

[*] posted on 8-14-2004 at 08:35 PM

You guys rock!!! So much work for total strangers, That my friends IS BAJA !!

All that wonder are not lost
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2004 at 09:55 PM

BajaCactus (Antonio) Rocks!!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2004 at 06:55 PM

Well, Baja Nomad Rocks!!! You guys have really made Antonio happy with accepting his invitation. We have 70 RSVPs... Yah hoo!:bounce::bounce::bounce:

[Edited on 8-17-2004 by David K]

BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

biggrin.gif posted on 8-16-2004 at 08:57 PM
YES!!!!

Thank you everyone for accepting our invitation and making a big effort in driving all the way to Tijuana....

We at BajaCactus are very happy (as DavidK mentioned) to have all of you as our guests at this event..... and remember... this is really your event.... a Bajalover's Baja event... we are just the coordinators.....;)

We are only sorry we have no room for more Baja friends.....well...... as DavidK said.... there is always next year.....

A BIG THANKS TO DAVIDK!!!!..... for his huge help in getting all of this together.....:bounce::bounce::bounce:

BajaCactus
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2004 at 10:04 PM

?De Nada Antonio, el gusto es mio!

This year has been tough for me, so much so that I did not put on one of my annual Viva Baja parties...

This event is as good, no it is even better than my fiestas and it makes me happy to do my part as 'the Baja Connection' to help you with it.

I will have the new "got baja?" stickers and busines cards you made at your Tijuana printing company to give out and a few remaing Viva Baja stickers too.

There are many new Nomads and a few non-Nomads attending... along with some of the folks that posted back on the Amigos board... like Neal Johns! He and one of the other first Amigos I met will be there.

Tomorrow I will post the Nomad's names going. There are 25 registered Nomad handles/names (with their spouses and/or guests) going.

See you Sunday morning!

bo

[*] posted on 8-17-2004 at 04:33 AM

Hi David,

Your "Viva Baja" sticker is now tooling all over New England on my T100.

Bo
David K
Honored Nomad

thumbup.gif posted on 8-17-2004 at 07:20 AM

Hi Bo... good to hear from you! How is the clam chowder on Cape Cod? Stay in touch amigo, Andee and Sarah have... Will there be a Planet Pizza opening soon on the East Coast?

bo

[*] posted on 8-17-2004 at 03:37 PM

Hi David'

I am negotiating for a spot for a "Pizza Port". The "CHOWDA" here is great and the Maine lobbies are to die for!

Bo
BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

eureka.gif posted on 8-21-2004 at 12:43 AM
Thank you note!!!

Hi,

First of all, we would like to express our deepest appreciation and thanks to all the friends, who are doing a huge effort, to come all the way to Tijuana, and attend the BajaCactus Cultural Fiesta 2004.... thank you friends for being so positive and open to receive the friendship, that we as bajacalifornians, wish to offer you...

We have high hopes that this reunion becomes one more step in the continous bonding of the tree Californias, even though we speak different lenguages and that we come from very different beliefs, we do have a something much stronger in common... we all LOVE this land and the humbleness of its simple people.

On the other hand, those of you who were unable to attend, let it be known that you will be miss, and we hope to have the opportunity to meet you very soon in the next reunion or event....:D

We are fill with joy, happiness and excitment with the arrival of this next sunday, because we will be able to meet in person, with so many nomads and friends which we only know online, and we finally will be able to offer you a smile, face to face, along with a sincere and strong handshake ...:D

As you may notice, we have not posted much lately....we have been extremely busy preparing and setting everything up to receive you as you deserve... but we promise to return more next week.

Well friends, I hope you will like what we have put together for you, and we shall be waiting for you this next sunday.... again... THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR ACCEPTING OUR INVITATION!!!......

Antonio M.
BajaCactus
"Where the Baja is so much more than a dream..."

BajaCactus
BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

biggrin.gif posted on 8-21-2004 at 12:53 AM
Forgot to tell you....

The Baja appetizers are here..... today, our family all over Baja, sent us a few different original Baja snacks, like goat cheese made in the ranchs of Baja south, dates from San Ignacio, home made cured olives from Maneadero, grapes from La Calentura, machaca made in Santagueda.... and many more..... all of this just for you....!!!:D

Antonio M.

:bounce::bounce::bounce:

[Edited on 8-21-2004 by BajaCactus]

BajaCactus
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.