Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Lord of the Wind Showdown, LB Jan. 16-21/11
windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2010 at 11:53 AM
Lord of the Wind Showdown, LB Jan. 16-21/11

Looks like wind surfing season is getting underway - just rec'd notice of this:
http://www.lordofthewindbaja.com/

Looks like I should be practicing more than just the cumbia!

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2010 at 12:31 PM

Many people are planning to compete in LB Jan 11-16, 2011, there will also be an event or two in La Ventana, Copa Playa Central la Ventana viernes, 17-21 de diciembre de 2010, The Double Cross Race to Ceralvo and back is a casual event usually around Jan 17th.

There is a new kitesurf race board one design from Underground designed by Chip Wasson and Mike Zajicek available along with formula one design windsurf class and typically open class. One design boats open up the racing to more people by allowing people to purchase or charter boards to compete on the same board.

[Edited on 9-10-2010 by gnukid]
windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2010 at 12:41 PM

...once I finshed reading throug the website, I see that the local Rotarians are presenting the event in collaboration with local and other major sponsor. Proceeds will be given to community support activities.

I'm so excited! This is a big deal and I am lucky enough to be there this winter!

Life is good,
w

[Edited on 9-10-2010 by windgrrl]

~ I-Ching
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2010 at 12:57 PM

gnukid = wow !!! now that is a great picture.

windgrrl = I wrote to the people on the site to see if they aren't interested in including La Bocana on the itinerary for windsurfing, kiteboarding etc. since we have winds every afternoon year round ...and a lagoon that is excellent for kayak fishing.

Do you have any windsurfing connections ??? One of our guests comes a couple times a year and he is the only one kitesurfing and he has a blast, I will try to put up some pics from 3 days ago. Another guest is the only one I have seen kitesurfing ever and he said it was fantastic. I could use some help promoting this :bounce: THANX

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2010 at 01:16 PM

Blanca

I have driven been by your place once, and sailed by often, yes it's awesome, we actually sailed a traditional open boat once too to recreate what it might have been like for historical visitors this last year.

The racing event in BCS is on the Sea of Cortez at a location which is chosen because it is quite safe due to it's downwind shore and side shore to side on shore winds which catch all sailors and because it's close to the airport, most competitors and visitors will fly into San Jose and taxi. I don't think there is a crossover with this audience, but if I were you I would encourage the Scorpian Bay crowd to come down for a visit.
windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2010 at 01:17 PM

Quote:
[windgrrl = I wrote to the people on the site to see if they aren't interested in including La Bocana on the itinerary for windsurfing, kiteboarding etc. since we have winds every afternoon year round ...and a lagoon that is excellent for kayak fishing.

Do you have any windsurfing connections ??? One of our guests comes a couple times a year and he is the only one kitesurfing and he has a blast, I will try to put up some pics from 3 days ago. Another guest is the only one I have seen kitesurfing ever and he said it was fantastic. I could use some help promoting this :bounce: THANX

Hi, girl;

I am only connected peripherally as a windsurfing/SUP tourist, and am not formally connected with the business side of things. I am most familar with the LB scene, and I am pretty sure La Ventana gets more sailors as the wind is often better. LB has better infrastructure (hotels, restaurants, shops, services) to support a large event.

What I think is so amazing and uplifting about this is the leadership being taken to help the community in trying times. I have been worried about the local folk and being an individual event sponsor is something I can afford to do to support my happy place.

I suggest you consider posting regular updates here to keep your setting visible with this crowd. It's great to sail where there's no crowds and we sailing folk, although often conservative with our spending, do have disposable cash when it comes to wind and can supplement business for locals in the fishing off-season. We usually mountain bike, too, while waiting for the wind, Baja has so much terrain to offer. Last year, the event magazine sponsor published a special Baja section. You might consider advertising in one of the kiter or windsurfer publications. Others will disagree, but it doesn't get better than Baja for windsurfing.

~ I-Ching
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2010 at 01:32 PM

A good way to promote your location is to offer to setup a wind meter that sends data to our site at ikitesurf.com that aggregates data, you would need internet and electricity. First you might take daily wind readings with a simple device and keep a chart of windy season. Contact george@ikitesurf.com
windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2010 at 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gnukid
A good way to promote your location is to offer to setup a wind meter that sends data to our site at ikitesurf.com ...

Yup - that would be defintiely be major cat-nip. Web cams are nice, too!:tumble::spingrin::tumble:

~ I-Ching

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.