Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: David K's beloved Shell Island
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2004 at 10:49 AM
David K's beloved Shell Island

We?ve all heard of David K?s favorite spot, his ?Shell Island?. Well now I?ll tell you about my first experience there.

It was the winter of 95 or early 96 and the days were short here on the east side of the Sierra San Pedro Matir. My girlfriend took her dune buggy and headed out about noon to ?go shelling? as she was prone to do. I puttered around the place doing what I don?t remember but when the sunset I began to wonder where she was. About 730, three hours after sundown, I headed into town, not really expecting to find her but just had to do something. Lo and behold ? there she was, walking near the glorieta. ?What happened and where?s your buggy? I asked, relieved to find her, but concerned about her walking. She told of going to shell beach south of town and finding wondrous shells. She got stuck once in the loose dry sand but got out without much trouble. But as she started to leave for home about sundown, she got stuck again. She dug and dug and lowered tire pressure and nothing worked so she walked the 3 or so miles to the highway and caught a ride to town, arriving about the same time I did. I was driving my VW Bus so we went back home and got my Baja Bug ? better for the sand and getting someone un-stuck.

We headed back south past Percebu turnoff to the road to Shell Beach. When we got near the beach, I noticed where someone had been working building a bridge. ?Why a bridge here?, I wondered but drove a little closer to the beach and parked. We walked the remaining 100 meters or so to her buggy. Sitting with the rear wheels in a hole about 3 ft deep with the nose pointing up at a 45 deg. Angle. With a quick look at the situation, I decided that daylight was needed as well as a looooong rope. We got back to my Baja Bug and like a fool I tried to turn around. Now I?m stuck also. Well there?s construction material around, boards etc. so with my trusty jack, I started to try to get unstuck.

?Need any help? came a voice from the darkness toward the beach. We looked around and here are 5 Mexican men coming across the sand. Of course I need help. The leader asked Trish why she had refused their help earlier in the day. She explained she got out of that problem OK but had gotten stuck later. This was the crew that was building the bridge. We all went back to her buggy and with just manpower got it out of the hole and pushed it out to solid ground (just west of where the bridge is now). Then we pushed mine out to the same area and was getting ready to head out when I smelled gasoline. Looked at her buggy and found that the angle it had been at had let the gas tank drain into the crankcase and it was overflowing with gasoline. Not driving this tonight.

So after offers to pay or buy cervasa or tequila which were all refused, we headed back home. About ? way to the highway ? boom ? the bonnet flew off the Baja Bug and over the roof. Well, after putting it back on and this time latching it, we headed out again. Into San Felipe, get some comida and head on home. The next day, with a tow-bar and my Bronco II I rescue the buggy and give it a oil change and the next day she was back ?shelling? at one of the many beaches in the area.

May all your trips to the "island" be a little less bother.

:biggrin::biggrin:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 7-28-2004 at 11:08 AM

Another great Baja story....nice one Lou.:biggrin:
tunaeater
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2004 at 01:27 PM

Right on Lou!! Thanks for the story.. I wonder how many times I've been stuck in Baja....probably close to my age of 35 or maybe more.....Paul
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2004 at 01:34 PM
Pretty much

standard procedure for those that travel in Baja.
We love hearing the stories though so keep em coming... Thanks Lou.
Herb
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2004 at 02:18 PM
Great Story, Lou...

I, too have been stuck there. Didn't air down before driving on it. "I've got 4-wheel drive with low range!" was my misguided thinking. That just allowed me to dig all 4 wheels equally deep down to the axles! :lol:

After hearing you speak of the "bonnet" flying off, I've got to ask where you are from? The UK or Australia I would suspect.

[Edited on 7-28-2004 by Herb]
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2004 at 02:32 PM
Bonnet

No Herb, I grew up in western Colorado which is also desert county 10 miles from Utah with Canyonland, Arches etc - my favorite world (besides Baja). I got my first VW in 62, a 57 single cab for those of you that know VW's. Got rid of it when I got tired of all the trucks passing me on the Grapevine. Bonnet is the word used for the front lid on a VW and I've had a few (9 right now counting dunebuggies and desert rails) so sometimes use the official description.

:biggrin:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-28-2004 at 03:31 PM

Neal Johns calls it 'bottomless sand' and for good reason! It is all about air pressure. A 2WD can drive on it if the pressure in all 4 tires is greatly reduced. Bob & Pat Hale regularly drive a big motorhome out onto the island (beach). I have driven it without letting air out, but the engine really has to work. 10-15 psi is best for my 4 ply tires. My little Subarus did the best, with little 13" tires (aired down to 10 psi) on that sand. Low range will bury you fast! You need momentum to stay on top. Never use brakes hard, turn sharp, or stop facing uphill (steep beach). The buldge of the tire's sidewalls is what keeps you floating on the sand. If the image shows, here is Shell Island from the north point, looking south (Percebu is to the right of the photo).

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2004 at 03:40 PM

Here is another overhead view... way overhead, from space! Just south of Shell Island, Bahia Santa Maria is easy to spot. It's back bay goes behind Shell Island from the south, and Percebu's lagoon seperates the island from the north. At extreme high tides the two lagoons connect and seperate the island from the mainland, flooding a large flat area west of the island. That is why I call it Shell Island and not Shell Beach. I also think 'Island' is more exotic sounding!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2004 at 03:47 PM

Here is Satallite Man's poster for San Felipe in which Shell Island is easily seen. http://www.wVvinc.com/Baja.htm

bajapablo
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2004 at 03:49 PM
Bajalou,

What part of CO did you grow up in? I spent many years in western Colorado. Junction, Rifle, Glenwood springs...I also lived from 78-83 in Moab. What a great place to be a kid. We just took a family trip 92 weeks ago) to Arches on our way to Fruita to see my bro.

\"changes it lattitudes, changes in attitudes\"
J.Buffet
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2004 at 03:56 PM

Fruita - born there,l lived in Loma till I was 10, then Fruita thru high school. G Jct for the next 6, then moved to Calif in 57. So Cal, Bay Area, then Baja Calif. in 95.

That western Colo - eastern Utah is some of the greatest county. Dead Horse Point!!

Email me and we'll share some more.

bajalou@telnor.net

:biggrin::biggrin:

No Bad Days

Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 7-28-2004 at 09:20 PM
Dead Horse Point....

Now there's a name from years past...camping with family after driving from Nor-Calif in our small rig, towing a plastic VW buggy! We had driven down a really STEEP, switch-back grade on the way...can't remember the name of that road, but it was an exciting experience in a 23 ft MoHo towing a buggy!

At the DHP camp, we were entertained one afternoon by a couple of snakes, under a bush, embraced in an amorous 'dance', looking a lot like a 'barber pole' withering on the ground!

We drove in our buggy down the White Rim Trail for miles, and stopped at a rock-bridge right on the rim...and walked across it's 3 foot wide ledge, hundreds of feet above the canyon...really scary - one little stumble and one would be heading for a real quick look at the river below!

What great country there in Utah...we spend several years exploring SW Utah...ever been to Kodachrome park area, south of Cannonville? You used to be able to 4WD all over the place down there...I hear it's all different now that the Clinton Administration made much of the area a 'National Monument' and they closed thousands of acres to vehicles...sad indeed!

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"
bajapablo
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2004 at 09:43 PM
sorry to intrude on your thread with ramblings of UT & CO

My youth (age9-14) was spent hiking in Arches, Dead Horse Point, Canyonlands and more. It was a great place to be a boy scout. I have fond memories of jeep safaries, campouts, the La Sal mtns, and riding my stingray (with the banana seat AND sissy bar) on the slick rock trail before mtn. bikes were even invented. My dad used to work at the uranium mill there...Kodachrome is cool. Mexray have you been to calf creek falls? I have done some backpacking near escalante which is beautiful country also. Bryce Canyon NP, Zion NP, it is all near. I feel blessed to live in such close proximity to it all (living in St. George) The problem is that it is a long drive to baja!

J.Buffet
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2004 at 09:45 PM
Ay Cavron !!!

Any of you desert dudes been to Coyote Gulch out of Escalante ?
Unfortunately, it was b.c.. Before Camera.

[Edited on 7/29/2004 by jrbaja]
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

Mood: missing Baja...

[*] posted on 7-28-2004 at 10:14 PM
Now I know!

Thanks David! I've seen this view from the sky and never put it together until now with your" Shell Island". What a beautiful image and one that I think we must explore, now that we have seen it!Ah, the beauty of Baja!;)
bajapablo
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2004 at 10:14 PM
Hiked coyote gulch in '92 or '93

Me and a collge friend when down one spring break while attending Utah State. we entered at hurricane wash and spent 3 nights down in the gulch. I still remember jug handle arch and the arch/bridge that you hike under (that the stream runs under). We hiked to jacob hamblin arch and then turned around and hiked out the way we came in. What an awesome hike! I took a camera but the pictures are somewhere in an unmarked shoebox. I did find a couple on the web to help you rekindle the memories jrbaja.

J.Buffet
bajapablo
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2004 at 10:16 PM
Maybe I'll post a picture...

J.Buffet
bajapablo
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2004 at 10:19 PM
then again, maybe not...

J.Buffet
bajapablo
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2004 at 10:21 PM
screw it! 3 strikes I'm out on the picture post. Here's the link...

to the site where I saw the pics.

http://www.compusmart.ab.ca/pkvill/escalante/escalante.htm

J.Buffet
Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 7-28-2004 at 11:17 PM

Bajapablo....great pic's...the escanlante area is something to behold, as are the other places you mentioned in SW Utah.

Can't remember if we made it to Calf Creek Falls or not...

About 25 or 30 years ago, my folks (also from Nor-Cal) happened upon Kodachrome...and befriended the guy that worked for the State that looked after the area. His name is Shakespeare, and there is a small arch nearby named after him. Shakespeare and his family lived in Cannonville and became good friends over the years. My dad was an old-time Ham Radio Operator, and made up a special tuning coil for them so they could pick up some distant AM radio stations in the evenings, way out there in the back country. We made 2 or 3 visits there over the years. The State Park guy took us on several trips in the out-back and showed us a couple of ancient indian rocked in caves with old pottery used to hold grain in the off-season, it's believed. These sites were a guarded secret, for obvious reasons, and we always felt so privileged to have been able to see them! Wish I had some pic's!

Have you ever explored over by Topaz Mt., near the Nevada border? We stopped there one trip and spent the day chipping Topaz crystals from the basalt-like rock that abounds in the area. It was a private claim, but the public was allowed to look for crystals with manual tools only. We still have some of those gems around the house to remind us of those fun trips with our kids!

Also, just to the north of the Topaz diggin's there's a large area loaded with small egg-shaped Geodes, laying on the surface...we snagged a few, cut em' open when back home for the kids to use as show-and-tell at school...just good fun family stuff for all!

BTW...if you've been to Kodachrome, you'll know of the prominent rock 'feature' there. It's called 'Chimney Rock', but most who first view it, tend to refer to it as a part of the male anaotomy...it was always fun to watch the expressions of new visitors as they would approach this 'rock'!

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.