Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: RV BBQ or Grill
Baja&Back
Senior Nomad

Mood: Rarin' to go South!

[*] posted on 9-13-2010 at 09:52 AM

Road Kill Grill by Coleman. (the red one with wheels)
:lol:

Barry & Vanda
Baja and Back RV Tours
Vancouver BC Canada / Baja
http://bajaandback.com
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2010 at 10:15 AM

I don't mean to be rude - but what a bunch of wimps. Bring a grate. Bring some heavy-duty aluminum foil; bring some wood or charcoal if you must - but dead stuff on the ground burns into charcoal. I bring a backpacker cannister stove for quick simmers for coffee, soups, canned goods. and bad weather back-up. And remember, leave no trace. The simpler, the better. Camping means camping. C'mon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 9-13-2010 at 10:39 AM

wilderone...I think we're all of that opinion.

Nothing beats bison chips for a truly great campcook. Although ordinary cow chips are okay in a pinch.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 9-13-2010 at 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
wilderone...I think we're all of that opinion.

Nothing beats bison chips for a truly great campcook. Although ordinary cow chips are okay in a pinch.

Are you referring to cooking with them or eating them?

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 9-13-2010 at 10:51 AM

You 'cook' with chips? Wow....

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2010 at 12:51 PM

truly - free range cow chips burn hotter (that's what the Mata Ortiz potters tell me).
jbcoug
Senior Nomad

Mood: Needing Baja!

[*] posted on 9-13-2010 at 02:49 PM

How available is charcoal in Baja?

John
schwlind
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2010 at 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CasaManzana
The feet come up to swing into place to lock in the lid. Easy to clean. I wear out one every 6-8 year of very heavy usage-
:yes:
http://www.amazon.com/Weber-121020-Go-Anywhere-Charcoal-Gril...

[Edited on 9-13-2010 by CasaManzana]

Based upon your enthusiastic recommendation... I ordered the charcoal version today... we have a small gas grill for our RV, but as others have commented... just doesn't get hot enough to sear those steaks.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 9-13-2010 at 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jbcoug
How available is charcoal in Baja?

John

sell it all over the place... calimex.. walmart.. costco...

Curt63
Super Nomad

Mood: Fish tacos and Tecate

[*] posted on 9-13-2010 at 09:26 PM

the coleman road trip has been bulletproof. I have a griddle, a bbq grate and cooking rings. I run a propane tree with a gas lantern on top. super versatile

No worries
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 9-14-2010 at 05:37 AM

Had to go back and look again... and yes those chickens still look awfully good, even at 5:30 am... :biggrin::biggrin:

Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot
The small propane grills are great for things like hot dogs, ribs and chicken but don't get hot enough to properly cook a steak or tuna.

We carry a small gas grill and a grate to put over the camp fire for things that need to be cooked at a hotter temp. One of each of the small Weber units along with the charcoal chimney starter would cover everything but would also take up a lot of room.

Sometimes you can get lucky and find something laying around to make a BBQ with if you have a grate.....

:biggrin::biggrin:

wornout
Senior Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days

[*] posted on 9-14-2010 at 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Curt63
the coleman road trip has been bulletproof. I have a griddle, a bbq grate and cooking rings. I run a propane tree with a gas lantern on top. super versatile

Could not agree more. I don't use the tree but sure use the heck out of my Coleman Road Trip Propane w/griddle. If you have an RV, you can always use one of your propane tanks, if the 5 gallon tank runs out, but a 5 gallon tank goes a long way so that isn't much of a problem. I love charcoal bbq'ing but when on the road the propane sure is convenient. After all, this is not 'The Last Supper' one is cooking up when camping/traveling.

This Space Available, E-Mail Me If Interested.
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 9-14-2010 at 08:21 AM

For those who want the smoke flavor with propane, nothing beats a little smoker box. You can add any wood chips you want. I think citrus wood adds a great flavor. I simply toss in some twigs about the thickness of a pencil that were saved during tree trimming. Pre soak the twigs in water and add the box as the grill is pre-heating. Or use commercially available chips like mesquite, apple, cherry, hickory, oak, whiskey barrel…..

Currently $14.00 on Amazon

Truth generally lies in the coordination of antagonistic opinions
-Herbert Spencer
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 9-14-2010 at 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wilderone
I don't mean to be rude - but what a bunch of pu*sies. Bring a grate. Bring some heavy-duty aluminum foil; bring some wood or charcoal if you must - but dead stuff on the ground burns into charcoal. I bring a backpacker cannister stove for quick simmers for coffee, soups, canned goods. and bad weather back-up. And remember, leave no trace. The simpler, the better. Camping means camping. C'mon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What about the traces of aluminum left in your body? No aluminum cookware or cooking for me, if I can avoid it.

WEBER, WEBER, WEBER!!!

I have a Smokey Joe Weber, charcoal. The knockoffs just dont last. Weber's last and last.

I had a square Weber like the one shown above but it was propane. The problem with propane, irrespective of their not getting hot enough and being tasteless, is that you are constantly replacing parts each year. Especially burners or the metal intended to protect the burner.

I use a chimney/newspaper at home but when I'm on the road, I bring a mix of Matchlite and mesquite charcoal, instead of the chimney. Just premix in a bag and make the traditional pyramid in the Smokey Joe.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 10-23-2010 at 05:35 PM

the go anywhere gas unit by webber is the ticket,you will be happy as hell; I rig boats for a living and all my guys will tell thy work in wind ,cook awsome,a cool down in a couple of mins for travel, the only thing (due to lawyers) is to enlargen the littl;e orfice at the brass end,easy done and then it will really cook!!!!!!:bounce:
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 10-23-2010 at 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CasaManzana
The feet come up to swing into place to lock in the lid. Easy to clean. I wear out one every 6-8 year of very heavy usage-
:yes:
http://www.amazon.com/Weber-121020-Go-Anywhere-Charcoal-Gril...

[Edited on 9-13-2010 by CasaManzana]

I'm with CasaManzana----Weber----------only we use a propane one with a "tree", and small bulk tank (3 gal size) with the single burner back-pack lantern on top of the tree, and 2 burner stove feeds off tree also. Never have had any problem searing my steaks, and it does not take up much room, and it is not messy. The "smoke box" is also an excellent idea, and we have used a variation often----works for us.

(edited to add this------Also, if you are at any high elevation, the propane works when the Charcoal doesn't very well----we have had a really hard time getting charcoal to light and burn right avove about 4,000 feet.

Barry

[Edited on 10-24-2010 by Barry A.]
UnoMas
Nomad

Mood: Great

[*] posted on 10-23-2010 at 08:06 PM

I have always been a charcol BBQ person and still am, but in a RV I would go with propane as with charcol you need to be parked for a while to let cool before packing or dump the coals. Just easier IMO.
AmoPescar
Senior Nomad

Mood: Need a Fish Taco and a Pacifico!

[*] posted on 10-23-2010 at 10:19 PM

Hi Bajaguy,

I've owned a couple of the WEBER portable gas grills over the years and they have performed VERY WELL! Both lasted at least 10 years. After several years I replaced the Flavorizer deflector which is over the burner, was easier than cleaning and easy to buy at BBQ's Galore.

I used a hose to hook them to a 10 Gallon tank at home and sometimes for travel too. Usually used the small bottles when traveling. They heat up quickly and there's not the wait time like there is for charcoal. Never had any problem cooking any kind of meat or fowl on them, have cooked them all. Cooking time is very similar to any larger gas grill and as stated above, they cool down quickly.

Miguelamo ;D :tumble: :coolup:
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 10-24-2010 at 06:07 AM

Bajaguy - here's the obvious question. Camping? WHAT??????

Friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 10-24-2010 at 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabound2005
Bajaguy - here's the obvious question. Camping? WHAT??????

"Camping....... is an outdoor recreational activity. The participants (known as campers) leave urban areas, their home region, or civilization and enjoy nature while spending one or several nights outdoors, usually at a campsite."

Hanging out in national parks and at the seashore, seeing new things, eating new and different food, visiting friends, buying tacky refrigerator magnets.........maybe even doing some trout fishing, sitting by the campfire......having an adult beverage.......

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.