Author: Subject: Pericu: Lost Peoples of Baja
windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2010 at 12:26 PM
Pericu: Lost Peoples of Baja

Today's matinee is a BCS DNA mystery (CBC, 2008):
http://tinyurl.com/33pelnl

[Edited on 9-13-2010 by windgrrl]

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2010 at 02:15 PM

Windgrrl, we can't open the Canadian URl. Can you tell us a little about the clip. Dr. El Molto was the guy who first DNA ed the Pericue bones down south here and proclaimed they were the same genes of Great Basin Indians who walked down here. Since then lots of studies show their DNA in the bones of people from all over the globe -- Piñon Woman @ 14,000 YBP was for a while the oldest Northamerican. We hope E. Molto was wrong and that other studies will show the Pericue to have traveled by water from Equador, perhaps China and elsewhere thousands of years ago to visit here and leave little clues all over the Americas.
bajamigo
Super Nomad

Mood: hubimos llegado

rolleyes.gif posted on 9-13-2010 at 02:25 PM

I guess we have to go to Canada to see this video.

windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2010 at 02:26 PM

Hi - Osprey;
here is the full linkhttp://www.cbc.ca/video/#/Shows/The_Nature_of_Things/The_Adv...

...if this link doesn't work, try Googling "Pericu CBC" . CBC should allow access as it is a public broadcaster.

Synopsis from CBC website:
"Canadian paleo-pathologist Eldon Molto is leading the search for clues of the mysterious Pericu people of Baja California, Mexico - a fierce, independent tribe that disappeared over a century ago, after being exposed to European disease. They left virtually nothing behind but their bones. But by using [mitochondrial] DNA, Molto is piecing together the story of the Pericu and along the way makes a surprising discovery that raises questions about identity and our own existence."

In searching the 'net on this topic today, apparently there is some thought that the Pericu are more closely related to East Pacific groups than to Amerindians:
http://www.andaman.org/BOOK/chapter54/text-Pericu/text-Peric...

Apolgies to thse who like tiny urls!

Rooting for the turtles,
w

~ I-Ching
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2010 at 03:11 PM

Thanks, still couldn't see the Canadian thing but the rest is priceless. We are still waiting for final word on the major studies done almost a decade ago at Isla Espiritu Santo near La Paz. The Las Palmas Indians lived right here, the place is littered with their tools but Mexican science really has their hands full now and just can't get to the stuff around here yet so I guess it will be bulldozed under with each new development.
windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2010 at 03:34 PM

There is also a Youtube.com upload of the film in sections

(Part 1):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRL8prmryZM

Part 2, 3 & 4 are linked to the side of Part 1. Hope this works - fingers cossed!

~ I-Ching
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2010 at 04:11 PM

The youtube is blocked too and I couldn't find it anywhere else. The articles you linked are very interesting.
windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2010 at 04:15 PM

So I am at the limits of my technical skills...any other ideas? Like could I embed image and if "yes" instructions, please!:?:

~ I-Ching
windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2010 at 04:41 PM

One more try (OCD, eh?):

I shared the parts to my blog, if it works, Parts 1, 2 & 3 are in the post archives at lower right:

http://windgrrl.blogspot.com/

~ I-Ching
oxxo
Super Nomad

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!

[*] posted on 9-13-2010 at 05:58 PM

It is my understanding that the Pericu share DNA with the Polynesian people. If you leave Hawai'i on a raft or canoe with a sail and use the prevailing wind and current, you will eventually land along the British Columbian coast. The theory I heard is that these people eventually, over millenia, sailed (not walked) down the coast of the Western United States, using the prevailing northwest winds and Alaskan current and settled in Baja Sur. The Pericu were completely different, culturally and physically, from the indigenous local inhabitants of Baja Sur who have been traced to the Southwest US.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2010 at 06:04 PM

can't open the link at all .... not allowed to open in Mexico, by Canada, that's what it says.

this is right up my alley and I wd love to be able to see it :(

Windgrrl - when are you coming to test the winds of LA BOCANA ?????????????????????????????????????????

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2010 at 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
can't open the link at all .... not allowed to open in Mexico, by Canada, that's what it says.

this is right up my alley and I wd love to be able to see it :(

Windgrrl - when are you coming to test the winds of LA BOCANA ?????????????????????????????????????????

Well, I keep my heart in the land of the Pericu...if they sailed over from the far east, they must be kindred spirits! We go to LB each year to rejoin our tribe who migrate there from all over.

However, it sounds like I will have to visit everyone who wants to see this video so the can watch it on a Canuck system. That must be some copyright. The only other soluion would be to buy a DVD for $132 :no:

Ciao,
w

~ I-Ching
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 9-14-2010 at 07:32 AM

Here is an article from 2003 on Baja's "Ancient Ones" from the Sept. 6 edition of Science News, Vol 164, No. 10, p. 150.

This is a repost I posted several years ago on a similar topic 9 http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=30992#pid313860 ), but will provide additional info for those interested in the Pericu.

Quote:
Continental Survivors: Baja skulls shake up American ancestry
Bruce Bower

Around 600 years ago, the Pericú people roamed the southern tip of what is now Mexico's Baja peninsula, a finger of land that extends below California. Although the Spanish conquest spelled their demise in the 16th century, the Pericú were living links to America's first settlers, according to a new anthropological study.

Pericú skulls closely resemble 8,000- to-11,000-year-old human skulls unearthed in Brazil, say Rolando González-José of the University of Barcelona, Spain, and his colleagues. The Brazilian skulls look strikingly like those of today's Australian aborigines (SN: 4/7/01, p. 212: http://www.sciencenews.org/20010407/fob1.asp). Moreover, the scientists contend, the data indicate that the Pericú were unrelated to modern Native American and eastern Asian groups.

These findings support the scientists' theory that both the first Americans, who arrived at least 12,000 years ago, and the first Australians, who showed up down under around 40,000 years ago, have a common root in southern Asia. A second wave of American settlers, the ancestors of present-day Native Americans, immigrated from northeastern Asia a mere several thousand years ago, González-José's group concludes in the Sept. 4 Nature.

That scenario clashes with the traditional view that both the initial and later waves of American settlers came from northeastern Asia.

"Slowly, we are realizing that the ancestry of the Americas is as complex and as difficult to trace as that of other human lineages around the world," comments anthropologist Tom D. Dillehay of the University of Kentucky in Lexington.

González-José and his coworkers compared measurements of 33 Pericú skulls housed at a Mexican museum with those of 22 ancient Brazilian skulls and hundreds of skulls from a worldwide sample of contemporary groups.

The Baja and Brazilian skulls exhibit telling similarities, the investigators say. These include long, narrow braincases and short, thin faces, a pattern akin to that of modern inhabitants of southern Asia and South Pacific islands.

The Pericú and the ancient Brazilians were descendents of America's initial settlers, the scientists propose. After the last ice age ended around 10,000 years ago, they add, the expansion of a desert across the middle of the Baja peninsula isolated the Pericú from other Native American groups.

Some of the continent's first arrivals probably traveled south along the Pacific coast from Alaska to reach the Baja peninsula's southern tip, González-José says. Researchers typically theorize that after trekking through Alaska, the first Americans headed south through an inland ice corridor.

It's still unclear whether the Baja population descended from the continent's ancient settlers or grew to resemble prehistoric Brazilians by virtue of adapting to a New World environment that's similar to Brazil's, Dillehay says.

According to archaeologist David J. Meltzer of Southern Methodist University in Dallas, the next step is to extract DNA from the Baja and Brazilian skulls and determine whether the two groups had close genetic ties. For now, Meltzer remains convinced by skeletal and archaeological evidence that points to Siberia as the homeland of America's first settlers.

References:

Dillehay, T.D. 2003. Tracking the first Americans. Nature 425(Sept. 4):23-24. Available at http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/425023a.

González-José, R., et al. 2003. Craniometric evidence for Palaeoamerican survival in Baja California. Nature 425(Sept. 4):62-65. Abstract available at http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/nature01816.

Further Readings:

Bower, B. 2001. Early Brazilians unveil African look. Science News 159(April 7):212. Available at http://www.sciencenews.org/20010407/fob1.asp.

Sources:

Tom D. Dillehay
Department of Anthropology
University of Kentucky
Lexington, KY 40506

Rolando González-José
Universitat de Barcelona
Facultat de Biologia
Secció d'Antropologia
Diagonal 645
08028 Barcelona
Spain

David J. Meltzer
Department of Anthropology
Southern Methodist University
Box 750336
Dallas, TX 752750336

-------------------------------------
Letters:

The multiple-origin theory of ancient New World immigration reported in this article has a long and respectable scholarly history, though it's tarnished from time to time by enthusiasts for one race or another. For an early popular treatment, see Men out of Asia by Harold Sterling Gladwin (1947, McGraw-Hill). Gladwin even mentioned the Pericú, who were cited in the article.

Gene McWhorter
Longview, Texas
-------------------------------------------

Source

Truth generally lies in the coordination of antagonistic opinions
-Herbert Spencer
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 9-14-2010 at 09:29 AM

All: Great posts! Many thanks.

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2010 at 01:24 PM

Brazilian and Pericu Indian joint heritage ... who woulda thunk. I am fascinated now. Loved the reading - thanks so much.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2010 at 01:51 PM
Molto's Findings

In the documentary, El compares the mitochondrial DNA of the Pericu bones with DNA of living Baja people who have Amerindian ancestors. El finds that the DNA from the Pericu bones is distinct and that the genetic pattern is alive in the people who gave samples. He implies that rather having died out, the Pericu actually merged with immigrants.

Blanca - did you try my blog link (above) to see the documentary? just wondering if this was a way 'round!

~ I-Ching
kaybaj
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2010 at 02:15 PM

tried to watch from your blog sight but it says blocked from your country by canadian broadcast co. i'm in mexico

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.