Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  77
Author: Subject: San Diegan To Hike Baja Peninsula
BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 9-17-2010 at 09:27 AM
San Diegan To Hike Baja Peninsula

This is a great story! Hope some Nomads can help out along the way!

http://tinyurl.com/24yyvmy

Kudos to Graham for being a big influence and mentor for this!

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-17-2010 at 09:33 AM
It's 'spi619'

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGeoff
This is a great story! Hope some Nomads can help out along the way!

http://tinyurl.com/24yyvmy

Kudos to Graham for being a big influence and mentor for this!

He is a Baja Nomad! Look: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=44343

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2010 at 10:04 AM

Ah.....how did I miss that back in Feb?

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2010 at 10:13 AM

Thanks for posting the article Geoff!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 9-17-2010 at 10:20 AM

We are really looking forward to monitoring Mike's progress on his fantastic land voyage....we're with ya amigo!!!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-17-2010 at 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
We are really looking forward to monitoring Mike's progress on his fantastic land voyage....we're with ya amigo!!!

does he have a blog?
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2010 at 10:47 AM

How many times did Graham come close to death on the first effort? I read the book and I can only see that he had an adventure....not a very good time.
Of course, it's all good when it's over.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2010 at 11:21 AM

Here is Mike and his burro (Graham's photo from other thread)...

Mike and Burro.jpg - 49kB

measomsan
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2010 at 12:26 PM

can we get him to wear a gps device ? so we can track him
MikeYounghusband
Nomad

Mood: Always ready for more

[*] posted on 9-17-2010 at 01:30 PM

I will be wearing one and Shari will keep all of you up to date. Its called a Spot device.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2010 at 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by spi619
I will be wearing one and Shari will keep all of you up to date. Its called a Spot device.

Tunaeater, his dad, me and a few others will be down pre-running the 1000 and for the race in late Oct and Nov. If Shari keeps us posted on here we will help anyway we can if needed.
Juanita
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2010 at 06:31 AM

A well-planned adventure; the best kind. I will be following the progress of Mike, Don-Kay and the two dogs and hoping to learn more about the peninsula in the process. Mike, if you need anything in San Ignacio, I'll be here. Juanita
BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2010 at 12:22 PM

And he's off....wearing a Baja Nomad t-shirt! Go Mike!

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/oct/01/baja-adventur...

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2010 at 04:43 PM

Go Mike go!

As Shari is pre-occupied with being a new grandma, I will be happy to post the progress when she cannot... Mike also has me receiving his daily location from his SPOT GPS. :bounce:

AmoPescar
Senior Nomad

Mood: Need a Fish Taco and a Pacifico!

[*] posted on 10-1-2010 at 06:24 PM

Miguel..."Buena suerte y vaya con Dios!"

...and I hope your journey is all you want it to be!!

I'm close to your age and I know it's a bit harder for someone our age to make a journey of these proprtions and I'm in awe of you for being brave enough to take on such a challenge!

Take care and be safe!
Another Michael, Miguelamo :D :yes: :tumble: :wow:
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 10-1-2010 at 06:35 PM

Good luck with you and your burro's adventure Mike.;D
805gregg
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2010 at 07:33 PM

Another nut goes to Baja.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2010 at 09:55 PM

Every journey starts with the first step and his was today. October 1, 2010.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 10-1-2010 at 11:06 PM
Cut & Paste About Another Baja Adventurer

From The San Diego Union Tribune

Baja adventure for a man, his burro and two dogs
By Ed Zieralski

Originally published September 17, 2010 at 8:28 a.m., updated September 17, 2010 at 8:59 a.m.

Ed Zieralski
Mike Younghusband, 61, El Cajon, plans to trek the length of Baja with his burro, Don-Kay, and two dogs.
Pack up a bunch of late-life crisis. Stow away some empty nest syndrome. Mix in an aching wanderlust for dirt roads and sandy white beaches less traveled.

El Cajon’s Mike Younghusband says those are a few of the factors propelling him to hike the length of Mexico’s Baja Peninsula starting Oct. 1 with a burro and two dogs.

Younghusband, who is an El Cajon native and former policeman there, plans to start at Hernan Ibanez Bracamontes’ Rancho Ojai in east Tecate. He’ll walk approximately 1,500 miles with his white, 4-year-old burro, Don-Kay, devoted dogs, 9-year-old Max, a Chihuahua-dachshund mix, Rusty, a 4-year-old Jack Russell terrier and an adventurous spirit he hopes is a match for rugged Baja.

“I’ve done my duty to God, my family and my country,” said Younghusband, 61, a Vietnam War veteran (Navy) who has been working for Elite Security. “My family (three daughters) has grown, and they’re all successful with kids (six grandchildren) of their own. I’m done. Now it’s time for grandpa to go out and have fun. The world is mine, and I intend on grabbing a big chunk of it.”

He has been preparing for this late-life adventure for over a year, traveling to Baja to place supply caches of food, water and even whiskey in 25 key and remote areas.

“The whiskey is for drinking and trading,” he said.

There’s also dog food for the pups and processed dog bones for Don-Kay, who Younghusband said will stop and munch on just about anything along the way. In between caches, Younghusband will camp and live off the land. He has a Daisy BB gun (legal in Mexico) for taking quail or other small critters for table fare, and fishing gear to catch fish from shore during the many days he’ll walk Baja’s pristine beaches.

He has taken classes at REI in GPS and compass and topographic map reading. He has Search and Rescue and extraction insurance and a SPOT satellite GPS messenger so friends and family will always know where he is. He spent eight months “bonding” with Don-Kay.

“In the last seven, eight months, I’ve learned more about this than any one subject in my whole life,” said Younghusband, who has battled high blood pressure, gout and a twitchy back, but says hiking has cleared all that up.

“I’ve got my health issues,” he said. “I’ll need to take some medication, but I feel better today than I have in a long time.”

He was introduced to Baja in the 1950s by his father, Ken, who once owned homes in Punta Colonet and Bahia de Los Angeles.

“I was 7 or 8 years old the first time I went to Baja, and I fell in love with the place,” Younghusband said.

He has no grand cause for his trek, but he would like to show his fellow Americans that Baja isn’t all about drug wars, guns and kidnappings.

“One of the things I’m hoping will happen is that American citizens who live in San Diego and other border communities will see, if I get enough exposure, that Baja isn’t as dangerous as many think it is,” Younghusband said. “Baja is full of the nicest, friendliest kindest people you’ll ever meet, and I run into them all the time on my drives and walks there.”

Bracamontes at Tecate’s inland oasis, Rancho Ojai, said it will be great for Baja for a man like Younghusband to live out such an adventure.

“I sold him my best burro,” Bracamontes said.

No one has really tried to talk Younghusband out of it. His family is supportive. But he said he has encountered doubters.

“It’s hard for some people to believe,” Younghusband said. “People roll their eyes. One guy, a retired cop, said it was the most ill-conceived, ridiculous pipedream he ever heard of anyone doing. It really hurt me at the time, and I told him. He didn’t know me or anything about the work I’ve put into this. Since then we’ve had time to talk, and now he understands.”

Younghusband has spent more than $1,000 in gear, with most of it from Southern Missouri Mule to outfit Don-Kay with the best in pack accessories. He paid Bracamontes $750 for Don-Kay. He is selling his mobile home in El Cajon.

“I’m all in on this,” he said.

His mentor and good friend, San Diego author and adventurer Graham Mackintosh , hiked Baja’s entire 3,000-mile coastline in the mid-1980s and was the winner of the Adventurous Traveler of the Year Award. He also hiked Baja with a burro. His books “Into A Desert Place,” “Journey With A Baja Burro,” “Nearer My Dog To Thee,” and “Marooned With Very Little Beer,” truly are Baja adventure classics that inspired Younghusband and many before him.

“Graham has been a great help and has become a great friend,” Younghusband said. “I’m hoping he’ll join me for some sections of this.”

Younghusband plans to reach Cabo San Lucas by April, with a short layover in Loreto, where he owns a home, one that eventually will be Don-Kay’s residence. But for the next six months, they’re going to be travelling buddies – Younghusband, Don-Kay, Max and Rusty -- a man, his burro and two dogs. The Baja Fearsome Foursome.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2010 at 11:20 PM

Good luck. I admire your spirit.

You're never too old to live your dreams.
 Pages:  1    3  ..  77

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.