Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  22    24    26  ..  77
Author: Subject: San Diegan To Hike Baja Peninsula
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 11-24-2010 at 08:29 PM
Punta Canoas Info

Since Mike is /will be headed to, around or near Punta Canoas, thought I would throw in a little known bit of information........

On December 8, 1945 two US Navy F6F Hellcat fighters Bureau (serial) numbers 40529 and 42309 experienced engine failures and ditched in the Pacific, off of Point Canoas.

The aircraft were flying training missions from a carrier along the Pacific coast of Baja

During and after WWII, many of these aircraft crashes were never recovered.......would be interesting to know if these two Hellcats are still resting off of Punta Canoas..........

mojo_norte
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2010 at 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by astrobaja
Well I can see why hes doin this in Mexico because if it was done stateside he would be arrested by the SPCA by this point!

Everybody knows that you can go a long time without food but WATER?

I ain't buying his book:fire:

hear hear
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 11-24-2010 at 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by TW
This could be a sad Thanksgiving for Mike, Solo and Don Kay without any turkey and dressing. Maybe just a rattlesnake or some cactus. I think Bajagringo should take them a full Thanksgiving special with all the trimmings. On the other hand make Mike knows where that special wiskey is hidden just for such occasions.

You're kidding....right?
The man's on an adventure that you and I admire, fear and envy. He's getting away from it all..so to speak.
He's on his own and any delivery of civilization would only make his efforts a part of our efforts.

Leave the man alone to do or die. That's why he started this.

and if they/we/you did, Mike would be alone trying to send a SOS to a passing panguero who would be looking at those deep ravines thinking, "solomente un bruto......" and keep going.

Happy Thanksgiving to all and to all a good night. you guys rock! i'm still trying to turn over a new leaf, but all of my trees dropped their leaves a month ago!.!.!.!

:P

but i agree Dennis, i could walk around the world if there were Big Men like BajaGringo and the boys at San Carlos to carry my water.

Suerte, Mike.

Curt63
Super Nomad

Mood: Fish tacos and Tecate

[*] posted on 11-24-2010 at 09:19 PM

As Mike is heading into Woody's back yard, Its time for Woody to step up and post all the secret maps, photos, GPS waypoints etc. of the next 100 miles

That would really help Mike, Don Kay, Solo and those helping him along.

No worries
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2010 at 09:23 PM

as i see this thread, he hasn't even made it to canoas.

BTW, if you've been paying attention for the past "X" years, you'd know that Mike is entering "the area that shall not be named" although i'm sure every map, gps co-ord and rumor of a bypass will be forthcoming so that Mike will know just where to go.:?:

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2010 at 09:25 PM

and Curt, BTW, that's a nice fish. and what did your wife ever see in you (from another thread)?

:P

you know i'm kidding, right? new leaf and all!

Brian L
Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days

[*] posted on 11-24-2010 at 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by astrobaja
Well I can see why hes doin this in Mexico because if it was done stateside he would be arrested by the SPCA by this point!

Everybody knows that you can go a long time without food but WATER?

I ain't buying his book:fire:

Donkey looked pretty good in the most recent picture. I would honestly find other things to worry about in this world than that.

I may have to buy two books then.

Brian
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2010 at 09:28 PM

save a tree, eat a beaver! or just read the book on a Kindle...... isn't this the new millenium? who reads a book these days?

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2010 at 09:29 PM

Quote:

Do you really think he is in this to "Do or Die" ?

Personally, I think he's in it for an adventure and a book contract .
He has obviously not planned all that well and is looking for all the help he can get.
"Could you please drive me to El Rosario so I can make some calls and emails and get some supplies and hit a restaurant ?", doesn't sound like "Do or Die" to me.
Carrying a SPOT and calling for help does not sound like "Do or Die" to me.
"Could you NOT tell Nomads about this part so I can use it for my book?", doesn't sound like "Do or Die" to me either.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great adventure and I'm enjoying his trip and DK's maps but "Do or Die"; I don't think so, and I certainly hope not; for he or his critters.

Carry on Mike and good luck; no offense intended.
Brian L
Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days

[*] posted on 11-24-2010 at 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver
Quote:

He has obviously not planned all that well and is looking for all the help he can get.
"Could you please drive me to El Rosario so I can make some calls and emails and get some supplies and hit a restaurant ?", doesn't sound like "Do or Die" to me.
"Could you NOT tell Nomads about this part so I can use it for my book?", doesn't sound like "Do or Die" to me either.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great adventure and I'm enjoying his trip and DK's maps but "Do or Die"; I don't think so, and I certainly hope not; for he or his critters.

It's too bad all these people are speaking for someone that doesn't have the chance to reply. From all accounts, he did plan very well. And saying "no offense intended" doesn't hide the fact you probably intended to offend.

Brian
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2010 at 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver
Quote:

I've been thinking along the same line. Planning is obviously lacking, consideration for the animals lacking, leaning on the good intentions and help of the Nomads and others has been essential to his adventure so far. Hardly the stuff for a good book.
bajafam
Senior Nomad

Mood: DLTBGYD

[*] posted on 11-24-2010 at 09:57 PM

Gee, on every trip to Baja we "plan" to get lost at some point....on one trip we were even considered Missing Persons....the FBI was notified! But that's another story for another thread....even the best laid plans can go wrong.

Walk On, Mike!!

Check out our travel blog @
http://thefamvangurp.blogspot.com

Scentsy!! Because real life is smelly. https://itsamightysmellyworld.scentsy.us

Check out my latest article ~ https://vegbyte.com/vegan-eyeliner/

The cookbooks essential to Baja Trippin' ~ https://vegbyte.com/vegan-mexican-cookbooks/
windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2010 at 09:57 PM
Imagining the perfect adventure...

...is simple when one is a keyboard quarterback. I can't think of any major adventures or explorers who had the perfect plan or the perfect outcome or did it all by themselves. Writing a book is no easy task, either.

Godspeed man, donkey & dog,
w

“May you have warm words on a cold evening, a full moon on a dark night and a smooth road all the way to your door.”

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2010 at 10:49 PM

I agree. The problems with the donkey are just due to inexperience and are not intentionally mean spirited. Mike is learning as he goes along. That's one of the rewards of any good journey. The book, told directly and honestly, will be a seller. With this episode being the highlight of the book.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 11-24-2010 at 11:38 PM

Yep, I'm with you, SkipJack, and others who think that Mike is doing just great.

What a fantastic adventure-------shades of Graham, for sure.

I won't miss this book--------and I will buy a second one for my son.

Barry
Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2010 at 01:01 AM

I think something must have got lost in translation here. I simply cannot believe that "Don-Kay had gone almost 4 days without any water."

I had one or two tough days where my burro was rationed severely and surviving on barrel cactus and morning dew and I'm sure I suffered as much as Mision did. But four days? I'd be looking for another burro!

Makes more sense to believe Mike said he'd gone four days without picking up any water, or for days without picking it up. I've been misunderstood and misquoted enough to suspend judgement on this.

For months and months I've seen the way Mike dotes on Don Kay, if his burro was that stressed and endangered he would have activated his SPOT "Need assistance" button long before he did.

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2010 at 08:25 AM

Don Kay sure looks happy and healthy enough !! as does dog !! once mike reaches La Bocana we will see for ourselves.

i sure worry much much more about the dogs in all these villages in baja who are sitting inthe sun for years at a time and never walked, never run and mostly ignored all their lives....

one of these days Mike will make it to la bocana and we shall get to hear some stories too.

no matter how well you plan, we all know that any trip to baja is not just a vacation but an adventure. why do you expect Mike's trip to be any different ???? when you get stuck in sand on the beach, should the locals leave you there because you should have planned better ?? hehehe HAHAHA

:lol::lol::lol:

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
astrobaja
Senior Nomad

Mood: beam me up

[*] posted on 11-25-2010 at 09:30 AM

Wow I'm so impressed that people on the board can tell so much from a picture! I guess in our 20+ years owning and running a equestrian centre all we needed to do was fax/e-mail the vet a picture and he could have told all!

\"There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.There is another theory which states that this has already happened\"

Douglas Adams

our website: http://bajadarkskies.com
cardonhugger

[*] posted on 11-25-2010 at 09:38 AM
Apologies to Graham....

In the "hysteria" of the Spot help plea episode I wondered how anyone might encourage one to to attempt that rough stretch with animals. I had insinuated, mainly based on a 20+ year old "Baja Rancho Rumor" that possibly Graham had not done this part of the coast in 1983. Upon further review, I retrieved "Into a Desert Place" from my brother and reread the pertinent section. I WAS WRONG! I have personally apologized to Graham.

Combined with the consumption of numerous Modelos over the past two decades, and few photos and named locations in the book of this remote area(thank goodness), I inadvertently asserted the gossip on this public forum. I shall return to the corner of the room and don the tall pointy hat....

While I'm cringing at the daily Mike's Satellite "Truman Show" as details are posted hourly, someone might want to get word to Mike to keep a low profile where he's heading. I've quietly had "boots on the ground" in this area since the early '70's. What the map and Google posters don't realize after one "windshield" trip through this area is this coast and inner section are the MAIN drug importation route for the cartels. In the past decades I've personally run across scores of clandestine airstrips cleared out of the desert along with Non-fishing dual-outboard Super Panga's racing along the fog line. Maybe someone could bring a Desert Storm camo suit down for Don-Kay! Wrong place at the wrong time; the Cartel doesn't like witnesses......

Peace Graham,
CH
Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2010 at 10:05 AM

Apology accepted cardonhugger... and I thank you making it on this Thankgiving day.

I did a few things on my trips that I would never do under "normal" circumstances and looking back over 27 years I know I'm in need of a little forgiveness too.

Certainly Mike is making the tough decisions himself on his trip, sometimes against my advice. And so far he's still going and learning and getting away with it.

The rest of the trip will be different and hopefully easier, but certainly not routine. And you're right CH, if Mike runs into the wrong characters on the wrong remote beach he may be in deep burro doo-doo.

Wishing you many happy adventures on your amazing solo Baja adventures.

Picture of me from 1983 where Mike will soon be.

[Edited on 11-27-2010 by BajaNomad]

Pages:  1  ..  22    24    26  ..  77

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.