BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 11-22-2010 at 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mojo_norte
Quote:
Originally posted by David K
I kinda hope he walks on dirt roads the rest of the way and no more coastal 'short-cuts'!

What are the road options between the San Carlos fish camp and Catarina?

From what I could see after spending all day Saturday trying to get across the mesa above you would have to head back out to the highway and then down. Just no easy short cuts there and until you see it for yourself it is hard to understand.

Looking back now, San Carlos may not have been a good travel point if he is trying to make time...

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-22-2010 at 09:00 PM

8 pm and no SPOT tonight (yet)... It will be the first time since the week Mike began (Oct. 1-7) I have not received a SPOT email from him.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2010 at 09:01 PM

Short cut?

Is that what this is? A short cut? - that's sad.

Why not just take a bus from the border to Cabo?

Tell me, David. What is this journey about? Why is it taking place?

I had some time to think about this whole thing this weekend and what came to mind is a quote from Nietzsche I hadn't thought of in 40 years:

"A lion was never so foolish as when he listened to the fox"

or some such thing.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

or maybe it was Blake's line from "Proverbs of Hell":

"If the lion was advised by the fox. he would be cunning."

[Edited on 11-23-2010 by Skipjack Joe]
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 11-22-2010 at 09:04 PM

It's about man's inability to sit still in a room, Igor...you know that.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 11-22-2010 at 09:10 PM

Quote:
8 pm and no SPOT tonight (yet)... It will be the first time since the week Mike began (Oct. 1-7) I have not received a SPOT email from him.

I just spoke with Chava in Cataviña again a few minutes ago. He is contact with folks by radio down at the camp and he assured me that both Mike and Don-kaY are well and setup for the night.

We will be having breakfast with Mike early tomorrow morning and helping them both to get ready for the trail again muy pronto...
Maddie

Mood: As always, Good!

[*] posted on 11-22-2010 at 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGringo
Quote:

I just spoke with Chava in Cataviña again a few minutes ago. He is contact with folks by radio down at the camp and he assured me that both Mike and Don-kaY are well and setup for the night.

We will be having breakfast with Mike early tomorrow morning and helping them both to get ready for the trail again muy pronto...

So glad to hear.

Wife, Mother, Grandmother, and Pack leader. These are what I\'ll be remembered as ... and I\'m very happy with that.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2010 at 09:21 PM

I'm glad you responded, Roger. I was waiting for you, in fact.

And I'm glad it's said so simply because an explanation wouldn't be sufficient.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-22-2010 at 10:18 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Okay, thanks Ron... Please make sure his SPOT batteries are fresh... Let Mike know there are thousands of viewers who will be quite worried if he forgets the afternoon or evening signal sent. As I said earlier, tonight will be the first time in almost 7 weeks no signal was sent.

Thank you.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

fandango
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2010 at 10:51 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by fandango
bajagringo: WHO ARE YOU????

you are too fantastic!!!!

Just another BajaNomad. You´d do the very same thing if the situation presented itself, wouldn´t you!???

yeah, i would. wish i could do it now.

sbwontoo
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2010 at 11:45 PM

Why not simply leave the SPOT tracking feature on? Present position displayed every 10 minutes. Battery life is not a factor. Maybe he doesn't know how to use it?

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Okay, thanks Ron... Please make sure his SPOT batteries are fresh... Let Mike know there are thousands of viewers who will be quite worried if he forgets the afternoon or evening signal sent. As I said earlier, tonight will be the first time in almost 7 weeks no signal was sent.

Thank you.
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2010 at 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mojo_norte
Quote:
Halftime, Monday Night Football, San Diego 21/ Denver 7

Go Broncos!

:lol::lol::lol: It was a blowout! YES!
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-23-2010 at 05:25 AM

Lancair, if he's staying inside a structure with a cement or maybe tin roof, will the satellite signals still get through?

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 11-23-2010 at 07:36 AM

you are right skipjack about taking a burro on strike on the low tide beach....never thought of that...I used to plan my horse rides to san roque so I could take advantage of the low tide hard packed sand to help my horse out a bit.

Good point about the spot device not working if he's in a cement house with a lamina roof...we have to take our gps outside to work too....but I sure was glad to get his spot message this morning.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2010 at 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:
... Let Mike know there are thousands of viewers who will be quite worried...

This is possibly a true statement, but it sure struck my funny bone!

--Larry

...and I was thinking how technology has changed the nature of adventure so that it can be a spectator event! And in this case, also a rapid response network.

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2010 at 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Lancair, if he's staying inside a structure with a cement or maybe tin roof, will the satellite signals still get through?

This is true. I have to get mine out in the open, it often takes up to 20 minutes before the unit indicates that it has sent the message.
astrobaja
Senior Nomad

Mood: beam me up

[*] posted on 11-23-2010 at 08:44 AM

I don't know Mike personally from all the accounts here he sounds like a likeable fellow (if a bit stubborn) but hes obviously a bit clueless when it comes to handling big pack animals. To expect the donkey to lug 150 lbs 10 miles a day is too much still! For that distance maybe 80-100 lbs...
Too bad don kay can't talk, if he could Mike would have gotten an earful I'm sure. If I were the donkey Mike would have gotten hooves to the tackle already!:smug:

\"There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.There is another theory which states that this has already happened\"

Douglas Adams

our website: http://bajadarkskies.com
Brian L
Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days

[*] posted on 11-23-2010 at 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by astrobaja
I don't know Mike personally from all the accounts here he sounds like a likeable fellow (if a bit stubborn) but hes obviously a bit clueless when it comes to handling big pack animals. To expect the donkey to lug 150 lbs 10 miles a day is too much still! For that distance maybe 80-100 lbs...
Too bad don kay can't talk, if he could Mike would have gotten an earful I'm sure. If I were the donkey Mike would have gotten hooves to the tackle already!:smug:

Aren't burros/donkeys/mules used to carrying weight? These aren't pets, they're pack animals.

Brian
astrobaja
Senior Nomad

Mood: beam me up

[*] posted on 11-23-2010 at 09:01 AM

Yes of course they are but they are not machines! They have limitations! 30% of the live weight of the animal (depending on a lot of variables like condition, conformation etc) is a good rule of thumb, so for a 150 kg animal 40-50 kg is plenty! Neither are they camels they need enough water!

\"There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.There is another theory which states that this has already happened\"

Douglas Adams

our website: http://bajadarkskies.com
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2010 at 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by blane
Aren't burros/donkeys/mules used to carrying weight? These aren't pets, they're pack animals.

Evidently they have limitations and, again evidently, this animal has been asked to exceed these limitations.
People who don't know of these things [such as myself] sometimes have the same expectations of trucks and cargo trailers. Happens all the time with disastrous results.
 Pages:  1  ..  19    21    23  ..  77

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.