Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  7    9    11  ..  77
Author: Subject: San Diegan To Hike Baja Peninsula
Brian L
Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days

[*] posted on 10-24-2010 at 01:45 PM

Graham, thanks for the update and pictures! Very nice.

Go Mike Go!

Brian
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 10-24-2010 at 05:08 PM

The flying dog picture is especially cool......dt

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2010 at 06:31 PM

Yes. That little guy was having the time of his life flying up and down the road...

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-24-2010 at 07:20 PM

Great stuff Graham!!!

Okay, I am, back home on my own PC and here are the Google Earth images of Mike's past 3 days plus an updated map...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Sublimity
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2010 at 09:34 PM

This is truly a great story, one in which continues to get better!

My son (7 yrs. old) and I were with John M., TacoFeliz, Skip, and Bob when we met Mike near Laguna Hansen. It was our our first trip to Baja and also our last night and having the pleasure to see/meet him was truly a perfect ending to a great trip!

My son did a PowerPoint presentation for his classmates, about his trip to Baja. His teacher took much interest to Mike's journey, as did his class-mates (well maybe his class-mates were more intrigued about Don-Kay). However, thanks to the efforts of nomads, we are able to keep up-to-date on his whereabouts, which my son has been relaying to his teacher. We were a bit saddened tonight upon reading the news that the 2 dogs are going home...does he still have the Australian Shepard?

Awesome pictures Graham!

Thanks!
Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2010 at 09:41 PM

Welcome back David. Thanks for all your painstaking mapwork… really makes it easy to follow Mike’s route.

I printed out all this thread up until October 20 and took it down for him to read. In spite of the fact he had representatives from the BC Secretary of Tourism, a reporter from the San Diego Union-Tribune, and a TV crew and reporters from Mexico there at his send off, Mike was so out of touch and dealing with so many difficulties, he just assumed he had been largely forgotten. Anyway he was pleasantly surprised by the continuing interest and kind words and, above all thanked you David for all you’re doing.

Looking at his progress Sunday I would expect Mike will head down the highway to Colonet on Monday and then walk out to the Johnson Ranch/San Antonio area where he has his first stash, including a very large bottle of Seagrams buried!

Will be interesting to know if its still there, or if some of the locals have recently had a very jolly time.

Mike told me his father had a place in the area in the early 1960s and he has many happy memories of coming down with his family in his father’s 1957 Ford Fairlane 500 when the journey from the border took about 12 hours.

A chance he may rest another day out there on the coast and then work his way south to San Quintin doing his best to stay off the blacktop. Don Kay should be easy to spot on those roads by the coast.

Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2010 at 10:11 PM

Barring accident or snake bite, I'm sure Solo, the new dog, will be going all the way to Cabo San Lucas. Mike was singing her praises and she was obviously working her way into his affections by the day... even though she helped herself to a whole bag of beef jerky that Mike had left around camp.

She's a really smart, and street smart, low maintenance independent Baja dog.

I know Mike will be sad tonight without Max and Rusty, but I bet he's glad Solo is out there keeping watch.

Thanks Sublimity for telling us about your son's PowerPoint presentation to his classmates. That's neat.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2010 at 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Graham
Welcome back David. Thanks for all your painstaking mapwork… really makes it easy to follow Mike’s route.

I printed out all this thread up until October 20 and took it down for him to read. In spite of the fact he had representatives from the BC Secretary of Tourism, a reporter from the San Diego Union-Tribune, and a TV crew and reporters from Mexico there at his send off, Mike was so out of touch and dealing with so many difficulties, he just assumed he had been largely forgotten. Anyway he was pleasantly surprised by the continuing interest and kind words and, above all thanked you David for all you’re doing.

Looking at his progress Sunday I would expect Mike will head down the highway to Colonet on Monday and then walk out to the Johnson Ranch/San Antonio area where he has his first stash, including a very large bottle of Seagrams buried!

Will be interesting to know if its still there, or if some of the locals have recently had a very jolly time.

Mike told me his father had a place in the area in the early 1960s and he has many happy memories of coming down with his family in his father’s 1957 Ford Fairlane 500 when the journey from the border took about 12 hours.

A chance he may rest another day out there on the coast and then work his way south to San Quintin doing his best to stay off the blacktop. Don Kay should be easy to spot on those roads by the coast.

I am glad that Mike approves of the detailed map-work... it is my pleasure to do! I hope he handles the wet weather okay... Did he mention the earthquake of last week, it was centered almost below him between Valle de Trinidad and San Vicente!?

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2010 at 08:35 AM

"Crystal Light drink mix"
better powdered mixes providing electrolyte replacement, vit. C, etc. would be better. I'd be happy to provide if the opportunity arises.

David, it would be terrific to backpack a couple days with him - would he mind? Could this be arranged? I know he'd be generally away from main roads, and I'd probably have to hike back out the same way I came to get back to my car, but that would be great fun. Is this doable at some point?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2010 at 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wilderone
"Crystal Light drink mix"
better powdered mixes providing electrolyte replacement, vit. C, etc. would be better. I'd be happy to provide if the opportunity arises.

David, it would be terrific to backpack a couple days with him - would he mind? Could this be arranged? I know he'd be generally away from main roads, and I'd probably have to hike back out the same way I came to get back to my car, but that would be great fun. Is this doable at some point?

I think Graham can answer your question better, Cindi.

Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2010 at 10:02 AM

Would it be possible to do updates with the San Diego news agencies? This would let him know everybody's thinking about him and be great, positive news about Baja.

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2010 at 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mulegena
Would it be possible to do updates with the San Diego news agencies? This would let him know everybody's thinking about him and be great, positive news about Baja.

Graham mentioned above that he talked with the writer/ reporter and mentioned how we are doing here on Nomad with posting his location/ progress... The ball is in their court and I am happy to assist if they ask.

Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2010 at 11:12 AM

Mike felt the earthquake big time. As he told it to me, he was in the tent with his two dogs when there was a bang and the ground started shaking and the two dogs were looking at him as if to say "what do we do now daddy." Mike said he felt three quakes in quick succession.

I'm sure he would love company, especially there around the towns from Colonet to El Rosario. There is so much to deal with and think about and be responsible for, you can relax just a bit with a trusted companion... and maybe allow yourself a little drop of that whiskey.

He likes to drink it with diet 7-up... and definitely bring the electrolytes and a few apples and carrots. Like gold to Don Kay. I remember from my wanderings with burros... it's wonderful to be alone and relaxed but boy... what a delight meeting a friendly face and sharing a campsite or just having someone close by.

To give Don Kay a break I took his gear in my pickup and gave him an easy afternoon walking. As Mike thinks through his needs he may want to give up some gear and supplies for the struggle ahead. My burro Mision started with around 180 lbs, give or take a 12-pack, and I gradually got it down to 100-120 lbs.

The Union-Trib is following Mike with great interest, as are the PR folks for Baja tourism. Not to mention the other outlets mentioned earlier.

DirkEXC
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2010 at 03:22 PM

Gram, can you tell the story on how Solo proved himself ?

It it to bad the Jack Russel will not be making the trip, I was rooting for him. The JR would have covered at least 2,000 miles on his way to the tip.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2010 at 05:43 PM
In Colonet on Oct. 25

[Edited on 10-26-2010 by David K]

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2010 at 06:06 PM

What is handy with the Auto Club map are all roads on the map have mileages... Yesterday, Mike walked about 9.5 miles (he camped one mile east of the highway on the 23rd.). Today, he walked about 7 miles.

The distance from Valle de Trinidad to Hwy. 1 is 39.5 miles, less the 1 mile short from Hwy. 1 where he camped. On the 4 days that he walked 18th, 19th, 21st, and 23rd he averaged 9.6 miles a day.

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2010 at 08:31 PM

amazing !! I can really relate to the feelings Mike must be having since I just finished Into a Desert Place and tonight I start Journey with a Baja Burro.
David - what you are doing is nothing short of fantastic -

and Graham - the pictures are wonderful and absolutely exhude glee ...

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2010 at 09:58 PM

Thanks BajaBlanca. When you read the burro book you’ll see that so far Mike and I took pretty much the same route. So it was kind of fun for me to head up that road towards Valle Trinidad and visit with him. Lots of memories and shared experiences.

Mike has a truly exceptional burro. Friendly, handsome, photogenic, mischievous, and wonderfully mellow…

And Mike seems to be learning to take it easy and adapt to his burro pace.

And all his dogs are real cool characters. Right to the end Mike was struggling with his decision to part with Rusty and Max. In the end his concern about their safety made the decision for him. Max jumped in my truck and claimed the passenger seat as soon as I opened the door… I think he was ready to take his leave.

But I’m sure Jack Russell Rusty would have done the 2000 miles. That guy was tireless… talk about glee! Mike really agonized about sending him home.

And Solo has the same fine qualities as the burro. And she has been fearlessly going after coyotes that approach in the night. Mike was grateful to her when a couple of drunks stopped on the road at night when they saw the campfire and walked over… Solo sensed Mike wanted nothing to do with them and she drove them off. Otherwise she’s quiet and mellow at all the right times, like at ranches and with soldiers at the drug check points.

They look to me like a real winning team.

And I echo the appreciation for David’s efforts with showing his route and progress. Muchas gracias.

I have to wonder if Mike did a few extra miles today to recover his supplies, or whether he’ll head that way tomorrow. According to the satellite image, looks like he’s been given hospitality in town tonight, he’s camped in what looks like someone’s backyard.

I love the way he’s out there doing this, braving everything, dealing with his limited Spanish, and the fact he’s over 60, and just plodding happily steadily along with Don Kay heading to Cabo, taking it all in his stride.

What a story he’ll have at the end of the journey.

[Edited on 10-26-2010 by Graham]

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2010 at 06:47 AM

I am very happy to be a tiny part of the story telling of Mike's adventure... Thanks for the really interesting updates and photos Graham!

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2010 at 07:42 AM

Great Photos,

It is good to know he is doing well. I imagine it was super difficult to send the little dogs home, but it sounds like he made the best decision for their welfare---very unselfish on his part, as I am sure he will miss them terribly.

Hope it all continues to go well for him!

Pages:  1  ..  7    9    11  ..  77

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.