Author: Subject: Safety in Baja?
bajabass
Super Nomad

Mood: Want to fish!!!

[*] posted on 9-20-2010 at 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by drarroyo
lots of bullet dodging here!!!
stay away!!!!! think of your family man! tell ALL your friends the same. Baja is "DANGER, WILL ROBERTSON"
crime everywhere!!! it's MOO-EEYY LOKO !!!

(off to the airport to pick up Grandma ... she gets SO peeed if I'm late, and thinks she's missing precious "baja experience" time. sighhh)
:lol: Will Robinson, Lost In Space! Great show!
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2010 at 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by L84CABO
Hi Folks

Can someone bring me up to speed on the current safety issues in Baja (all the drug cartel related issues)? I'm considering a trip to Mulege in early October.

I've been searching recent and older posts. Seems like the worst area is going to be TJ to Ensenada (pretty typical) but the rest of the peninsula and especially Baja Sur seems as low key as ever...except for Ciudad Constitucion (farther than I'm planning on going).

I'm not planning on spending any time in the north but will most likely be going through the border around 4:30 a.m. or so. Wondering if that's probably ok or if I should wait until daylight?

I'm pretty well traveled in Baja but haven't been down in a couple years. I'm primarily interested in how safe things are right now and what to watch out for...or is it just a bad idean to go down in general right now? Any comments or advice is greatly appreicated.

Thanks!

Check your U2U mail,, you will find it in the upper right corner
jack
Nomad

Mood: Eat Heavy

[*] posted on 9-20-2010 at 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez
Just kidding!
We are always taking kids to Baja.....mostly thru Mexicali and then outward. Also...we own various investments there including our beach house "get away"......and haven't encountered any sort of negatives.
For years I had gone to the "Mexican Rivera" side...and never encountered issues.
USA has major violence going on too. I stay away from roaming the troubling areas such as East L.A. , South Sacramento, , or even Kamloops British Columbia. Use common sense as you would in the USA..... stay away from the hot spots ........eyes wide open...have fun.

[Edited on 9-19-2010 by mcfez]

I am getting ready to head for the Baja after an absence of 3 years and was a little concerned after hearing one report after another about voilence in Mexico. But after realizing that I live and have survived in one of mcfez's troubling areas, Kamloops BC, I feel a lot more confident. :lol:
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2010 at 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jack
Quote:
Just kidding!
We are always taking kids to Baja.....mostly thru Mexicali and then outward. Also...we own various investments there including our beach house "get away"......and haven't encountered any sort of negatives.
For years I had gone to the "Mexican Rivera" side...and never encountered issues.
USA has major violence going on too. I stay away from roaming the troubling areas such as East L.A. , South Sacramento, , or even Kamloops British Columbia. Use common sense as you would in the USA..... stay away from the hot spots ........eyes wide open...have fun.

I am getting ready to head for the Baja after an absence of 3 years and was a little concerned after hearing one report after another about voilence in Mexico. But after realizing that I live and have survived in one of mcfez's troubling areas, Kamloops BC, I feel a lot more confident. :lol:

Sorry Jack...that Kamloops pinprick remark was aimed for someone else in your town. Again...apologies.

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
jack
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2010 at 10:55 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Just kidding!

I am getting ready to head for the Baja after an absence of 3 years and was a little concerned after hearing one report after another about violence in Mexico. But after realizing that I live and have survived in one of mcfez's troubling areas, Kamloops BC, I feel a lot more confident. :lol:

Sorry Jack...that Kamloops pinprick remark was aimed for someone else in your town. Again...apologies.

No apology necessary, I figured as much. What really concerns me was the Mexican Travel Advisory that was on the largest Canadian TV news station last night...

OFFICIAL WARNING: Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada advises against non-essential travel to the border areas between Mexico and the United States, due to continuously high levels of violence linked to drug trafficking in those areas.

Canadians should avoid crossing Mexico’s northern border by land, as shootouts, attacks, and illegal roadblocks may occur at any time. Criminals especially target SUVs and full-size pickup trucks for theft and carjacking along highways of the states of Nuevo León, Tamaulipas, Baja California, Chihuahua, Coahuila, Durango, Sonora, and Sinaloa. Travellers are advised to reconsider their need to travel to these border states and should do so only if it is absolutely necessary, and after making appropriate arrangements to ensure their personal safety.

Damn, I just bought a new pickup. This kind of makes you think twice. :?:
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2010 at 01:28 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Just kidding!

I am getting ready to head for the Baja after an absence of 3 years and was a little concerned after hearing one report after another about violence in Mexico. But after realizing that I live and have survived in one of mcfez's troubling areas, Kamloops BC, I feel a lot more confident. :lol:

No apology necessary, I figured as much. What really concerns me was the Mexican Travel Advisory that was on the largest Canadian TV news station last night...

OFFICIAL WARNING: Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada advises against non-essential travel to the border areas between Mexico and the United States, due to continuously high levels of violence linked to drug trafficking in those areas.

Canadians should avoid crossing Mexico’s northern border by land, as shootouts, attacks, and illegal roadblocks may occur at any time. Criminals especially target SUVs and full-size pickup trucks for theft and carjacking along highways of the states of Nuevo León, Tamaulipas, Baja California, Chihuahua, Coahuila, Durango, Sonora, and Sinaloa. Travellers are advised to reconsider their need to travel to these border states and should do so only if it is absolutely necessary, and after making appropriate arrangements to ensure their personal safety.

Damn, I just bought a new pickup. This kind of makes you think twice. :?:

Thanks jack ...
Did not read the Advisement for the Canadians. What exactly sparked that off, you know?

I am getting a new truck too.....oh..what route are you taking to get down here? :lol:

[Edited on 9-22-2010 by mcfez]

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
bajatravelergeorge
Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 9-22-2010 at 05:53 PM

I've crossed into Baja early in the morning many times. Crossed at San Yisidro and just hi-tailed it to the toll road. Never any problems, even in my new truck. I did get accosted once when I was in downtown Los Angeles, California at 7:00pm in the evening. So I stay away from that place. :fire:
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2010 at 07:28 PM

L84CABO - welcome to BajaNomads !!! Since you are coming south as far as Mulege, if you have the time, take a side trip and visit us in La Bocana !! You take the first exit after VISCAINO which takes you to Punta Abreojos. Once in Abreojos, take the salt flat bordering the estero/marsh/lagoon north for 10 miles and voila, here we are.

Cool temps, on the Pacific Ocean. You can meet us (Blanca and Les), Joaquin who has amazing dinners with all the seafood you can dream up at the Cactus restaurant which just got a new front porch, Juanchys can take you fishing, Ana Fischer has handicrafts ... and I can go on and on...

check out our pics at www.labocanahotel.com

and after you visit Mulege and La bocana, then you can slowly make your way north and meet Shari in Asuncion.

If you have any bikes, we could sure use one. We are so close to actually making our goal of one bike per kid in the bike club !! Soooo close !! If you can't visit us, you can drop off the bike at EL CRUZERO, the restaurant right at the turnoff to Abreojos.

Again, welcome to the land of Nomads who love THE BAJA !!!!!!!!!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
jack
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2010 at 11:55 PM

[
Quote:
Thanks jack ...
Did not read the Advisement for the Canadians. What exactly sparked that off, you know?

I am getting a new truck too.....oh..what route are you taking to get down here? :lol:

[Edited on 9-22-2010 by mcfez]

I don't know what set it off, but now its in all the newspapers. The government says the safety of Canadians is more important then relations with a foreign country. That's a first.:lol: What route am I taking? The same one as you, preferably within 100 feet of your truck.;)
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.