Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Thoughts on Retirement
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2004 at 03:42 PM
Retirement

Been retired for 5 years. I wake up in the morning with nothing to do, but in the evening I am only half finished! Do it as soon as possible!
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2004 at 05:50 AM

in my mind im retired but my body still needs to work, hopefully someday.:coolup:
geobas
Banned

[*] posted on 8-1-2004 at 07:00 AM
Retirement . . .

I didn't retire until I was 67, for no particular reason, just didn't give it any thought. For years I had a retired friend who would come into my store and have coffee with me. One day I asked him 'Joe, what do you do all day long'. Joe looked at me, smiled and said 'anything I want'.

George, now retired doing anything I want . . .
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2004 at 07:58 AM

Will retire soon myself...but first must evict the freeload tenet in my house so that I can remodel it before moving in....
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2004 at 01:06 PM

In my case, I just don't see it happening - ever.

Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2004 at 03:05 PM
Packoderm

When I first started working at JPL, in 1967, you couldn't keep me away from the place, evenings, weekends, all the time. I was young and rising in the workforce and it was all a game and I was winning, the bucks were growing quickly and I was starting my own contracting company with the lab and everything was a whoop. That lasted for over 30 years, before I started to get old and realize I didn't want to miss other things as well. You are young enough that it will be many years before you want to slow down. I'm happy for you that you're still learning and experiencing new stuff. Just don't wait so long to retire that you miss seeing new stuff before you're too old to enjoy it!!
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 8-1-2004 at 03:52 PM

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 8-1-2004 at 03:56 PM
OOOOOPS -DOUBLE POSTING

Mike, I am in Jack Swords camp. Been retired almost 10 yrs. (forced Law Enforcement retirement when turned 57) and Jack 100% reflects my experience. I have not been bored 1 min.. Doing what you want is incredibly rewarding, and you never quite get it all done, so there is plenty to do the next day, week, month----well, you get the idea.

Deffinitely keep up the writing, and publish. Best, Barry
Markitos
Nomad

Mood: let me check

[*] posted on 8-1-2004 at 08:10 PM

Mike You ROCK! La vida es corta !! I was talking with my brother about Baja and San Diego and all the folks. Man it's changed. He lives in the hills and dont like coming to SD except to head on down south thats the only reason he's even here. At 45 baby it's time. Retirement !?
Whats that? Ha. Go now or dont go !

All that wonder are not lost
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2004 at 08:38 AM
Don't wait...

Mike, Dont't wait for "enough money, etc." as I've seen too many that think another year of work will pay off. Then when they do retire, their spouse or they are in poor health or gone. I retired as a secondary science teacher, loved teaching. In fact, I teach English in one of the public schools in La Paz during our winter stay, but there are too many adventures out there to become totally committed. If I could do both I would, but you can never get time back, it is gone. So take the opportunity to become unfettered and do what you want, when you want. No regrets. You seem like a person that could find retirement full and challenging.
mcgyver
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2004 at 09:07 AM
Retirement

RIGHT ON
Jack, you are 100% on the money with that don't wait advice! I have saw it happen more than once and to one of my best friends, he worked on & on and had plenty of money, next year he says, one day his wife had a massive heart attact and 9 months later he died of lung cancer, while I was in Alaska treasure hunting on the Yukon River- his dream trip.

El Camote
Senior Nomad

Mood: y Blues

[*] posted on 8-2-2004 at 10:33 AM
Retirement time-filler

Hey Mike, I know something that will fill all your retirement free-time and fulfill a great need in your life....

Vehicular maintenance and repair!

couldn't help it. heheheheh:bounce::o:tumble:
BajaRob
Senior Nomad

Mood: Life is good

thumbup.gif posted on 8-2-2004 at 11:24 AM
Retirement

Right on Mike. I retired two years ago @ 52 and bought a beach house in Bahia Santa Maria. I too had been concerned that I would be bored and underinspired without my " career ". Nothing could be further from the truth. I am now busier than ever but I'm doing exactly what I want to. The people in the South Campos are incredible and diverse. The one exception to retirement is my neighbor, Don Heller 69, who works at JPL. He just finished his portion on the Cassini Project and is now disussing a future assignment. Don is incredibly brilliant and requires the mental stimulation that work provides him. I'm still working on him.
Everyone needs to do what works for them and I'll bet you will wonder why you didn't quit going to the office sooner. Good Luck, Rob
movinguy
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2004 at 11:53 AM
Semi-retired at 44 . . .

and loving it. Got bounced from my dot-com job and decided to stay home raising mis hijas for a few months - that was 4 years ago and the thought of ever having a "real" job again scares the poop out of me. Life is too short to spend it on the San Diego freeway.

I'm also a closet journalist - actually, I have the degree to go with it but have never put it to any practical use. My ultimate goal: a motorcycle journey down Baja, across to the mainland, around the Yucatan and back (with a book to follow, of course).:coolup:
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2004 at 08:34 PM
It's Pretty One-Sided -

Almost everyone says to go for it. I agree and that's what we'll do as soon as we get a couple of medical insurance items taken care of. And I might try and align a periodic thing at the Lab, something sporadic and occasional.

Good luck to us all with our undertakings. I'm sure we'll meet up along the way. Looking forward to that. We have so much more time when south.

Movinguy: Post some of your stuff here. There are a number of writers on these Baja boards.

El Camote: All my finely tuned vehicles are listening, you know. They know what true care is! In the suburban, for example I had the airbags removed and inserted wine bags in their place. It just got to be too much with all those damned boxes. And it causes me to drive VERY carefully, lest I leak a drop of delicious red vino.

[Edited on 8-3-2004 by Mike Humfreville]
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2004 at 05:49 AM
May God bless you Mike!

As I read all the Dreams of you Youngins, I reflect on Our decision to move to Baja and live!
Your Life will be as you make it! Adventure and Risk , interaction with a different culture, Happy smiling faces of neatly dressed children emerging from cardboard Shacks with Dirt floors, on their way to School will never be forgotton!

Finding that we could do with out so many "Things", "Not to Worry, Tommorrow we can do it, changed our lives forever!!

Watching the Fish and Bird Life in Front of "Rancho Sonrisa",as the Sun Rose over Carmen Island and Set over St. Javier is forever etched in our minds and Hearts.

Never stop Dreaming Mike!

Skeet/Loreto

"In God I Trust"
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2004 at 09:59 PM
Skeet

Very good point and I've spent a life, starting with the small Indian village next to us in Cuernavaca in the '50's. How could you live in a mud hut and send your children off to school so crisp and freshly dressed every weekday?

I think the answer is somewhere between 1) one of our favorite bumper stickers, 2) what many Baja lovers believe, and 3) the latest Starsky and Hutch movie:

Just DOO eet!

How much I have learned about the value of life from my friends south of our mutual border. God love 'em.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.