Printable Version  
Author: Subject: For DianaT
sanquintinsince73
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2010 at 09:06 AM
For DianaT

L.A. Times Article
El Tepeyac's Restaurant For Sale?

Right after I graduated from Rosemead High School in 1971 my girlfriend at the time brought me to El Tepeyac Restaurant in Boyle Heights, and I was forever hooked on their faire. Doing my best to keep my waist from matching my age I have cut down to visiting Manual and El Tepeyac’s to twice per month.

If you know Manual you know he loves playing the ponies, just bring him a Los Angeles Times and watch his face light up with elation as he scans the newspaper for the horses and the tout sheet.

When I read on LAObserved that the restaurant was up for sale I was filled with sadness as the new owners would most likely change the menu, to save a few dollars, and run off the regular clientele.

I’m pleased to learn, from LAObserved, that the property is for sale and not the restaurant.

So I will continue as a regular customer of El Tepeyac’s after thirty-eight years.

I know that you were a customer so I thought I'd share this with you, Diana. I still remember when Manuel got into trouble with his gambling and there was a U.S. Marshall standing at the cashier collecting all the money. There was Manny though, greeting all customers with a shot of Tequila.

Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2010 at 09:29 AM

Manuels-quite a tradition. About 2 miles from where I grew up in Alhambra
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2010 at 09:32 AM

I fear that once the property sells, the business may be next to go. It will be a very sad day, indeed. El Tepeyac's is one of a kind--

Keep a watch over it!

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2010 at 10:05 AM

Growing up in Alhambra this was our go to place when we were hungry for a good, big burrito to cure the munchies. I once ate a Manuel's special by myself and won a $100.00 bet. That was when I was 6'4" and 175 pounds with the metabolism of a tapeworm. If it was a real late night we kept driving until we got to the Rampart exit of the 101 for a chili burger. I will have to make sure and get by El Tepeyac while it's still there. Have not stopped there in a few years.

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

sanquintinsince73
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2010 at 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by elgatoloco
Growing up in Alhambra this was our go to place when we were hungry for a good, big burrito to cure the munchies. I once ate a Manuel's special by myself and won a $100.00 bet. That was when I was 6'4" and 175 pounds with the metabolism of a tapeworm. If it was a real late night we kept driving until we got to the Rampart exit of the 101 for a chili burger. I will have to make sure and get by El Tepeyac while it's still there. Have not stopped there in a few years.

Ahh yes, the Original Tommy's chili cheese burger on Rampart. So many times we'd drive there from E.L.A. and rub elbows with celebrity's while eating in the parking lot. I tried the Tommy's here in Diego but it's just not the same.

Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 10-4-2010 at 11:28 AM

Good stuff sanquintinsince73 (literally). I was hooked on what I think was the second in the REAL Tommy's chain on Sherman Way just west of Van Nuys airport. I kept hoping I would GET a tapeworm somewhere :)

carpe diem!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.