BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: bad news - plane down - if anyone south hears anything pls relay
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 10-16-2010 at 04:57 PM
bad news - plane down - if anyone south hears anything pls relay

Oct. 16..Local news just picking up on missing plane in Baja....carrying local Drs. as part of the Flying Samaritans organization.. Wish the best;

Local KSBY news reports this;

A search and rescue operation is underway in Mexico after a plane carrying several doctors from the Central Coast, disappears.
The doctors are part of the Flying Samaritans, a charitable group that does free medical procedures for low-income people in Mexico.
The president of the organization, Victor Jones, tells KSBY News the Beachcraft A-36 plane took off from the San Luis Obispo Airport Friday morning and landed in Ensenada, Mexico. It then took off for its final destination in San Quintin, in Baja California. At about 15 miles south of Ensenada, the pilot said he was climbing to get above heavy fog. Radio contact was lost around 2 p.m. Friday and there has been no sign of the plane since this morning.
We're told the impact sensor on the plane did not go off.
The people on board include James Thornton, a plastic surgeon from San Luis Obispo, Graciela Sarmiento, a doctor who works at the Community Health Center in Oceano, Roger Lyon, a pilot from Cayucos, and Andrew Theil, a medical volunteer who may also be a student from Cal Poly

[Edited on 10-17-2010 by BajaNomad]

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2010 at 05:00 PM

a BBPer pulled up the following from Flight Aware, if anybody is headed into Baja the next few days;

http://flightaware.com/photos/aircraft/N212DB

\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

teadust
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2010 at 06:43 PM

Sadly, the plane crashed and has been located:

4 Americans killed in Mexico plane crash
By the CNN Wire Staff
October 17, 2010 -- Updated 0049 GMT (0849 HKT)

* Radio contact with the plane was lost Friday afternoon
* Victims are volunteers who were on a medical mission
* Wreckage and bodies are discovered in northwestern Mexico

(CNN) -- Four Americans were killed in a small plane crash in northwestern Mexico, the president of the volunteer organization Flying Samaritans said Saturday.

The plane had been headed on a medical mission in the Mexican state of Baja California and lost radio contact with the ground on Friday afternoon, said Flying Samaritans President Victor Jones.

The wreckage of a Beechcraft A36 plane and the bodies of the four volunteers were discovered Saturday "after an extensive ground, air and water search," Jones said in a statement Saturday.

The wreckage was located in rough terrain about 30 miles south of Ensenada, Mexico -- a city on the Pacific coast -- where the plane had departed Friday afternoon en route to San Quintin, Mexico.

Jones said that Mexican authorities found four bodies in the wreckage.

Radio contact with the plane was lost shortly after the pilot reported to the Ensenada airport on Friday when it was about 10 miles south of the airport, Jones said.

He identified the victims as: James Thornton, a plastic surgeon; Graciela Sarmiento, a doctor; Andrew Theil, a non-medical support staffer; and Roger Lyon, the pilot.

Flying Samaritans transports medical and support personnel to clinics in Baja California -- which is just south of California, the American state -- where they provide free medical services and supplies to those who lack medical care.
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 10-16-2010 at 07:29 PM
Good Samaritan Plane down.

Here's the article

http://channel6newsonline.com/2010/10/american-flying-samari...

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
BajaNews
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 10-16-2010 at 07:43 PM
U.S. medical volunteers killed in Baja plane crash

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/oct/16/us-medical-vo...

By Sandra Dibble
October 16, 2010

BAJA CALIFORNIA — Four United States citizens on a volunteer medical mission in Baja California are dead following a plane crash, authorities said Saturday. The victims were members of the Flying Samaritans heading to the Los Pinos ranch in San Quintin, authorities said.

The accident occurred Saturday afternoon in an unpopulated area north of the community of Santo Tomas shortly after the plane, a single-engine Beech Bonanza Model A36 built in 1973 took off from the El Cipres military air base in Ensenada, said Alfredo Escobedo, Baja California’s Civil Protection chief.

It was heading to the San Quintin area along with another small plane also carrying volunteers. But when the two pilots lost radio contact shortly after takeoff, the other plane returned to Ensenada.

Escobedo said the region had poor flying conditions at the time of the crash, with wind and clouds, but it was unclear what caused the plane to go down 12 nautical miles south of the El Cipres air base. The crash site could not be reached by ground, and authorities flew in with three helicopters to recover the bodies. There were no survivors.

The victims have been identified as Roger Lyon, an attorney from Cayucos, California who was the plane’s registered owner; Graciela Sarmiento, a physician from Arroyo Grande, California; Andrew Phiel, a paramedic from Linden, and James Thornton, a surgeon from San Luis Obispo. Escobedo said they were believed to be heading to Rancho Los Pinos in San Quintin.

In 2006, a pilot and two medical missionaries, a nurse and a dentist, were killed when their plane crashed also near San Quintin. They took off from Brown Field in San Diego and plunged into a business parking lot half an hour later. The plane was scheduled to land at El Cipres military base.

Different article from SLO:
http://www.sanluisobispo.com/2010/10/16/1331364/slo-county-s...

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2010 at 09:18 PM

So very sad. :no:

irenemm
Senior Nomad

Mood: relaxed

[*] posted on 10-16-2010 at 09:26 PM

My Heart and Prayer go out to the families.
WE thank them for the great works that they did here in this Valley that they were headed to. May God Bless the Loved ones at Home.
Rest in Peace
Irene Martinez

stop and visit us

http://www.posadadondiego.com
see us on facebook
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2010 at 09:30 PM

Heartache. Such a loss of fine, good people.
We, and all those who received their care here in Baja, grieve.

Will an appropriate person(s) extend the condolences of the Baja Nomad community
to the Flying Samaritans and to the families who lost their loved ones in this tragic accident, please?

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
Woooosh
Banned

Mood: Luminescent Waves at Rosarito Beach

[*] posted on 10-16-2010 at 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mulegena
Heartache. Such a loss of fine, good people.
We, and all those who received their care here in Baja, grieve.

Will an appropriate person(s) extend the condolences of the Baja Nomad community
to the Flying Samaritans and to the families who lost their loved ones in this tragic accident, please?

That was very nicely stated Mulegena.

\"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing\"
1961- JFK to Canadian parliament (Edmund Burke)
AcuDoc
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2010 at 10:31 PM

Just heard about this. My first thought it was Capt Mike. I'm gad to see you are okay and want to say how sorry I am for the others...
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2010 at 11:26 PM

:(

oxxo
Super Nomad

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!

[*] posted on 10-17-2010 at 05:13 AM

This is not a good way to start my Sunday. As a former long time resident of San Luis Obispo, I know Roger Lyon. So sad. :no:
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2010 at 05:19 AM
news from San Luis Obismo

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/2010/10/16/1331364/slo-county-s...

Not good news.. KSBY reporting the folloiwng a 100Z

Mexican authorities have confirmed the wreckage found 30 miles south of Ensenada, Mexico is the Flying Samaritans' Beechcraft A36.

The four people on board died in the crash. They were all from San Luis Obispo County. They are James Thornton, a plastic surgeon from San Luis Obispo, Graciela Sarmiento, a doctor who works at the Community Health Center in Oceano, Roger Lyon, a pilot from Cayucos, and Andrew Theil, a medical volunteer who may also be a student from Cal Poly.

They were headed to San Quitin, Mexico on a medical mission when radio contact was lost around 2 p.m. Friday.

I will pass Mulegena's comments to the Flyin' Sams community.
we as member pilots and med pros all hurt when this stuff happens.

[Edited on 10-17-2010 by capt. mike]

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 10-17-2010 at 07:35 AM

so very very sorry about this tragic accident.
Our sincere condolences to the families and friends of the departed.
These angels are on a different mission now....godspeed amigos.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
BillP
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2010 at 09:17 AM

Why does it seem to always happen to the good ones?
So sad. :(
O.G.
Nomad

Mood: waiting for the green flash

[*] posted on 10-17-2010 at 09:41 AM

Geez! I landed at Ensenada airport Friday afternoon and saw all those doctors milling around. Saw the A36 on the customs ramp. Talked to one of the pilots about his instrument approach which I also had to do (800 foot ceiling). This older pilot was receiving a xeroxed copy of the instrument departure procedure from an employee. If they had 4 people and all their gear loaded on that Bonanza it didn't leave much for fuel... . 10 miles out is when the tower wants you to do a final report (crash site was 10 miles South). I think the pilot got disoriented in the cloud bank as he departed at gross weight -- thus not much of a climb rate also.

Al
O.G.
Nomad

Mood: waiting for the green flash

[*] posted on 10-17-2010 at 09:46 AM

Sorry, crash site was 30 miles South, not 10 miles as I stated.
bufeo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2010 at 11:17 AM

Very sad news. I have many friends who volunteer their time, planes, and skills to the Flying Sams. So sorry to hear about this accident.

Allen R

[Edited on 10-17-2010 by bufeo]

[Edited on 10-17-2010 by bufeo]

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2010 at 04:59 PM

a very, very sad day indeed. RIP.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 10-17-2010 at 08:46 PM

When this was first posted I couldn't find the words to express my sorrow, I still can't......dt

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.