Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Beginning of the History Project for Bahia Asuncion
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2010 at 12:53 PM
Beginning of the History Project for Bahia Asuncion

For the Community Web Page, we are beginning to work on the oral history of Bahia Asuncion. And here is just one example of what we are finding.

At first, the new village depended on water from a local rancho, and then they had a de-sal plant. But as the town grew, then needed a better water supply. So in 1984, nine year old Socorro Redona Robles wrote to the President of Mexico, Miguel de la Madrid to tell him that this village really needed a water supply.

Thus, when President de la Madrid visited Baja California Sur, he met with the young lady and her family on the ejido near Vizcaino and the picture of her handing the President a tray that represented the bounty from the oceans was published in the small magazine, called Participacion Democratica, Baja California Sur.

Her mother also managed to snap a photo.

It is going to be a long, slow, and fun project!

BMG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2010 at 01:09 PM

This is a great addition to the site. Will be interesting to see what surfaces.

I think the world is run by C- students.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2010 at 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BMG
This is a great addition to the site. Will be interesting to see what surfaces.

Yes, it will continue to be very interesting. We bought a tape recorder so we can keep the original recordings on the computer.

Hasta Pronto

[Edited on 10-21-2010 by DianaT]

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2010 at 01:39 PM

Great work Diane. I am glad someone is taking the interest in preserving the towns history
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2010 at 01:39 PM

great project !! we are thinking along the same lines Diana - I too started an oral history of La Bocana .... one day we should compare histories !!

My stories include licking banana peels to get a taste of banana before some of the families had enough money to buy fruit ... and taking three days to come by burro to La Bocana from San Ignacio where most of them are from... and struggling very much in the beginning without the wives and kids ..... and being wiped out by a bad storm and having to move the whole village ...

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 10-21-2010 at 01:44 PM

nice work.

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2010 at 02:49 PM

Blanca

There is a book that was put together for Punta Abreojos (1998 I believe) that outlines alot of history in the area. It may help you. Someone in La Bocana will have a copy.

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
great project !! we are thinking along the same lines Diana - I too started an oral history of La Bocana .... one day we should compare histories !!

My stories include licking banana peels to get a taste of banana before some of the families had enough money to buy fruit ... and taking three days to come by burro to La Bocana from San Ignacio where most of them are from... and struggling very much in the beginning without the wives and kids ..... and being wiped out by a bad storm and having to move the whole village ...
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2010 at 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
Blanca

There is a book that was put together for Punta Abreojos (1998 I believe) that outlines alot of history in the area. It may help you. Someone in La Bocana will have a copy.

Juanita at Casa Leree may have a copy. I remember her saying she had some from some of the local areas and I think she mentioned Punta Abreojos---I think.

Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2010 at 04:37 PM

Wonderful project and another great example of Nomads giving back!! Saludos!

Iflyfish
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2010 at 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by whistler
I have a copy of the Abreojos book.It was for the 50 th aniversario of the co-op.

Is the current co-op the original co-op in Abreojos? Just curious, because neither one of the current co-ops here are the original one.

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2010 at 08:37 PM

Established in 1948
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2010 at 08:58 PM

"At first, the new village depended on water from a local rancho, and then they had a de-sal plant. But as the town grew, then needed a better water supply. So in 1984, nine year old Socorro Redona Robles wrote to the President of Mexico, Miguel de la Madrid to tell him that this village really needed a water supply."

This is a sweet story. Do you know what Socorro is doing now?
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2010 at 09:00 PM

La Bocana's is the original.

I will try to get that book - thanks for the heads up, all !!

Come visit La Bocana

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2010 at 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paula
"At first, the new village depended on water from a local rancho, and then they had a de-sal plant. But as the town grew, then needed a better water supply. So in 1984, nine year old Socorro Redona Robles wrote to the President of Mexico, Miguel de la Madrid to tell him that this village really needed a water supply."

This is a sweet story. Do you know what Socorro is doing now?

I will ask her parents tomorrow. One of their daughters is in Ensenada and the other one is in La Paz and I forget which one is where. Her parents are involved in the website and are among the first families to contribute to this history project. Her father, Jesus, is a walking history book. He came here as a small child before the village was organized---a time he says when there were only coyotes and pulgas. And now he has so many names, dates and events in his head and is really looking forward to getting it all on paper.

He is an interesting person. Herecently retired from one of the co-ops, is a leader with the ejidos, a former deputado, etc.

You can see a picture of her mother on the webpage, she owns the furniture store and is also named Socorro. She was raised in Punta Prieta and also has great stories. Socorro also has one of the amazing gardens in this town.

We really enjoy their company --- tis what makes this project such fun!

[Edited on 10-22-2010 by DianaT]

DavidT
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2010 at 09:45 PM

My Mom tells everybody to write about their life. It may not be interesting to everyone but it's a treasure to someone.

David
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2010 at 09:52 PM

Wow, love the idea on the history project and loved the photos!
Great work!
Bob H
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2010 at 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
Wow, love the idea on the history project and loved the photos!
Great work!
Bob H

Thanks Bob---while it is slow, it really is fun. We hope to have the first installment soon. And there will be more photos which we really enjoy.

At the same time, we are working on duplicating every page so it will be in English and Spanish. More of that should be completed in a couple of days and then corrected by some of the voluteers soon. :yes:

Good thing we have unlimited pages as those involved keep coming up with more and more ideas.

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2010 at 12:19 PM

Oh Oh. those could be fighting words for the other towns.

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
La Bocana's is the original.

I will try to get that book - thanks for the heads up, all !!
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2010 at 01:52 PM

no no no hahaha

by original I meant that La Bocana still has the original coop group :)

no fights, nunca, never.

Come visit La Bocana

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.