Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Over charged at La Fonda
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2004 at 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy Jan
Tacos Alegria has the best fish tacos I've ever encountered.

Enjoy

Youve got to be kidding me Jan?

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2004 at 01:36 PM
For those that like Alegria

you simply must try Jr's. Tacos. Just south of the AM-PM Pemex, south of Rosarito Beach.:light:
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

rolleyes.gif posted on 8-21-2004 at 05:36 PM

Hey Jesse,

This just my opinion, based on my (limited) experience. :rolleyes:

At Mariscos Alegria (sorry, I called it Tacos Alegria earlier) I've encountered Hugo (the chef and son of the owner of Yacqui Tacos) who says he drives down on his day off just for their soup (Siete Mares?), countless gringos who say that they make it their first stop when heading south of the border, and many, many ATV'rs who have come over the back country from TJ to eat lunch there.

The food is impeccably fresh, they are careful to buy shellfish only from regulated suppliers, thus this is one of the very few roadside stands where I am willing to eat raw oysters.

The fish tacos are prepared to order, dipped in a heavy batter, not light tempura style, so whether you like it is according to taste. They prepare flour tortillas from scratch when you place your order (corn tortillas come from a bag).

They also serve what I am assured is a very good version Sonoran shrimp c-cktail, raw shrimp in a chile vinegar sauce, have forgotten the name. I've tried it and it's not my cup of tea because it's too vinegary.

What ev, why not share some of your favorite places? :biggrin:
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 8-27-2004 at 09:40 AM
No slag, just fact

Many of the offended parties DID resort to the oficina to have the wrong, righted. That doesn't mean they cant relay their experiences on the internet for others. I appreciate the info. It has made me look the bill over each time. In only 3-4 visits, no funny business, but it's hard to dicker with the buffet charges.

But, believe me, my most recent visits have produced hand-written checks. It is often accompanies by a printed calculator output, but that appears to be for adding up the bill. If unordered items magically appear on the hand-written check, they will show up on the printed bill.

But all the collective attempts at funny business need to be aired, whatever the resolution was.

If Dimitri is truly free of the union, then why are these attempts continuing? What motivation would people have to fabricate them?

Gypsy, you seem to be on a first name basis with the employess/management of La Fonda. I am not surprised you haven't experienced this.

But don't chastise those of us who have, for setting down the facts, as we saw them.

For my money, I like the food at Palapa Jose's much better. Yeah, it's gringo pricing, but it's pretty gourmet.

Side note: Is anyone else a big fan of the El Trailero stand in the northern outskirts of Ensenada. Huge fish tacos, not-so-runny guacamole sauce, delicious shrimp coctails stuffed with large, deveined shrimp and xlnt carne asada tortas. The fish taco meat is made to order; you generally dont see the big piles of already-cooked fish waiting for customers.

[Edited on 8-27-2004 by Hook]
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2004 at 10:08 AM

El Trailero

We stop there for a carne asada Torta, then mosy up the road for the fish & shrimp tacos at Tacos Jaliescience just under the pedestrian bridge.

Palapa de Jose has excellent shrimp c-cktail Mexicano style. The salad with scallop and feta cheese on spinach with a balsamic dressing is yummy. They also have a guy who plays a mean classical/flamenco guitar, Miguel De La Hoya. His version of Stairway to Heaven is always a big hit with the crowd. It can get VERY loud when he is playing so if you want a quiet romantic dinner and dancing stick with La Fonda. :P

I think that all info and peoples experiences are helpful. I digest it file it and then use it to compare/contrast with my own experiences.

I will continue to dine,drink and dance at La Fonda. :biggrin:

I ALWAYS look at my check WHEREVER I am dining as mistakes can happen at ANY time or ANY place. Be diligent!!

I am looking forward to trying the grub at
Mariscos Alegria! :cool:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

tjcholo

[*] posted on 8-27-2004 at 07:41 PM

I always make it clear that solo traei pesos .....pues .....traiga la cuenta (por favor) en pesos....sometimes it saves a few dollars...but only if you can count real high...:lol:
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 8-27-2004 at 09:51 PM

Cholo you are great!

Yes, we always pay in pesos, then you are never overcharged :lol:

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 9-1-2004 at 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by elgatoloco
El Trailero

Palapa de Jose has excellent shrimp c-cktail Mexicano style. The salad with scallop and feta cheese on spinach with a balsamic dressing is yummy. They also have a guy who plays a mean classical/flamenco guitar, Miguel De La Hoya. His version of Stairway to Heaven is always a big hit with the crowd. It can get VERY loud when he is playing so if you want a quiet romantic dinner and dancing stick with La Fonda. :P

Thanks for the recommendations. Our favorites are ANYTHING in their mole sauce and the camarones molcajete.

Amen, to the loudness of Miguel. He must be the guy with the hollow-body electric. ABSOLUTELY EAR-SPLITTING AT TIMES; CONVERSATION IS IMPOSSIBLE. But he is talented.

Last Friday night he was followed by a guy on a nylon string guitar with a more conventional flamenco style. Also had a much better voice and his decibel level was perfect. Played all the standards that gringos like (One Ton Iguana, Cielito Lindo, the Mexican Hat Dance song, etc.) including my all-time favorite, "Volver, volver" by the great Vicente Fernandez. Not quite the same as with violins and horns, but.......
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2004 at 01:03 PM

EGL... I think you are the king of knowing great places to eat in Baja. You should publish a listing of all the great places you have recommended over the years.
Bob H:P

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 9-1-2004 at 05:54 PM
another spin on La Fonda

Some years back a couple of us dropped by there for a late dinner,
just a few tables occupied and a live band was playing not far from our table.
At the next (empty) table to us we noticed some movement, there sat a small mouse, on his haunches, both hands down in the sugar bowl, having his dinner.
After the initial shock wore off we caught the eye of the trumpet player, pointed at the mouse and winked.
In mid-tune, without removing trumpet from lips, he sort of grinned, winked back and nodded and went on with the music.
Ah, another quiet Baja moment.

Baja Arriba!!
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.