Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Reliable new highway news
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2010 at 07:06 PM

The new road will be great for traveling to and from Arizona. It is way shorter and has less traffic congestion. But for people already on the west coast of Kalifornia I question how it could be any shorter (long drive east to catch M3)
mcpuitar
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2010 at 01:06 PM

Driving the "new highway" Mex 5 is a total of 807 miles from my home in Tucson to mi casa en Punta Chivato. Crossing at Tecate and taking Mex 3 to Mex 1 is exactly 1,000 miles door-to-door. So it cuts almost 200 miles off my trip and, even in its current unfinished state, it's the way to go for me. As stated above, less congestion too (for now anyway). Had a nice trip down in May and June, also staying at Campo Cristina just below Puertecitos, and at Papa Fernandez on the way back. Will try some different campos this next time.

I used to take the ferry from Guaymas to S.R., and occasionally crossed at Tecate taking MEX 3 down to Mex 1, but with the ferry cost at $300+ with a car, and the regular construction zones and traffic on Rts 3 and 1, I think I'll be using 5 to 1 from now on. I'll really miss the Santa Rosalia ferry experience (it's always an adventure), as well as wine tasting along Ruta del Vino, comidas at Mama Espinosa's, and the Catavińa boulder fields, but Mex 5 just works best from Arizona. And on the plus side--I can stop for a beer and some good conversation at Coco's Corner. And when they travel down there my dogs much prefer camping on the beach and eating dead sea critters to being confined to the the car on the ferry deck.

Sounds like there may be an additional 10kms of pavement south of Isla El Huerfanito by the time I go again on Veterans Day in a little over two weeks. And maybe even gas in Puertecitos?--thanks for those updates by the way!

McPedro
windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2010 at 02:17 PM
Link: "Going South from Tecate..."

Found this link to recent info with driving direction pix:

http://la-ventana.forumotion.com/by-land-f15/going-south-from-tecate-on-the-road-that-has-no-traffic-to-1-t253.htm#520

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-26-2010 at 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by windgrrl

http://la-ventana.forumotion.com/by-land-f15/going-south-from-tecate-on-the-road-that-has-no-traffic-to-1-t253.htm#520

Nice job, it does show going on the toll road to Corredor 2000... The free road to Corredor 2000 is also a 4 lane highway, and about 10 miles shorter/ $8 dolars cheaper. Only a few stop lights more, but well worth that.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2010 at 12:43 PM

Okay - so if I have this correct, then from Tecate, the navigation is thus:

Clear border, get visas, take Benito Juarez (Mex 2) or De Cuota (Mex 2D) to San Vincente.

Maneuver through San Vincente interchange and stay on Mex 2 free road.

Next Corredor Tijuana 2000 interchange connects to Mex 2 (free road) is just past Refugio at El Florido. Mex 2 free road becomes Mex 2 toll road (or does it?). Is there an off-ramp and toll booth at interchange near El Florido?

Maneuver through this interchange onto Mex 2 which is now a toll road. Continue on toll road to Ensenda.

Please advise - I am the navigator and if I don't have this evidence secured beforehand, I will default to intuition and we all know how that can turn out.

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:

Nice job, it does show going on the toll road to Corredor 2000... The free road to Corredor 2000 is also a 4 lane highway, and about 10 miles shorter/ $8 dolars cheaper. Only a few stop lights more, but well worth that.

~ I-Ching
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2010 at 12:57 PM

Quote:

Clear border, get visas, take Benito Juarez (Mex 2) or De Cuota (Mex 2D) to San Vincente.

Next Corredor Tijuana 2000 interchange connects to Mex 2 (free road) is just past Refugio at El Florido. Mex 2 free road becomes Mex 2 toll road (or does it?). Is there an off-ramp and toll booth at interchange near El Florido?

Maneuver through this interchange onto Mex 2 which is now a toll road. Continue on toll road to Ensenda.

Please advise - I am the navigator and if I don't have this evidence secured beforehand, I will default to intuition and we all know how that can turn out.

Quote:
Quote:

No, some wrong Hwy. #s , but it's not so complictaed either...

I don't know what a San Vincente interchange is, either... so don't worry about that.

If you want to go way, way up to Tecate, instead of the shorter/ faster Otay border southbound... then cross in at Tecate, go down the hill a couple blocks to the main street (Hwy. 2) facing the big town park, and turn right (west)... take that street all the way to El Florido (Tijuana subburb) and get on the Corredor 2000 there... well signed (for Rosarito/ Popotla/ Ensenada/ BC#201)... all free, all 4 lanes only a couple of signals in El Florido after you leave Tecate.

The Corredor 2000 ends on the Ensenada Free Road, Mex. 1 (also 4 lanes wide, now), turn left, south! You can stay on the free road all the way... nice drive, but slower south of La Mision, or hop onto the Ensenada Toll Road (Mex. 1-D) at Cantamar, Splash, or La Mision/ Alistos.

If you cross at Otay, just go south 1 mile to Blvd. Industrial, then turn left/ east and go 5 miles to the Corredor 2000... all free.

I posted photos of the signs, etc. in my Sept. 18th weekend trip to Las Pintas report... including coming back north through Tecate.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2010 at 01:33 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

No, some wrong Hwy. #s , but it's not so complictaed either...

I don't know what a San Vincente interchange is, either... so don't worry about that.

If you want to go way, way up to Tecate, instead of the shorter/ faster Otay border southbound... then cross in at Tecate, go down the hill a couple blocks to the main street (Hwy. 2) facing the big town park, and turn right (west)... take that street all the way to El Florido (Tijuana subburb) and get on the Corredor 2000 there... well signed (for Rosarito/ Popotla/ Ensenada/ BC#201)... all free, all 4 lanes only a couple of signals in El Florido after you leave Tecate.

The Corredor 2000 ends on the Ensenada Free Road, Mex. 1 (also 4 lanes wide, now), turn left, south! You can stay on the free road all the way... nice drive, but slower south of La Mision, or hop onto the Ensenada Toll Road (Mex. 1-D) at Cantamar, Splash, or La Mision/ Alistos.

If you cross at Otay, just go south 1 mile to Blvd. Industrial, then turn left/ east and go 5 miles to the Corredor 2000... all free.

I posted photos of the signs, etc. in my Sept. 18th weekend trip to Las Pintas report... including coming back north through Tecate.

Muchas gracias, David. We are a couple of Canucks coming down from the east via El Centro.

~ I-Ching
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2010 at 03:08 PM

Okay, then I understand the Tecate part of it! If you need any additional clarification or maps, etc... Let me know!

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2019 at 09:52 AM
Post from 2010, predicting Hwy. 5 completed in 2012!

Quote: Originally posted by mcfez  
While staying at Bahia Christina last week...waiting for the 40 + consent winds to die off (never did!).....here's what I got from the Cantina located there.

The Cantina has been leased out to a catering company to serve meals (taken to location) for the road construction site(s) and to serve the men there at the restaurant. Having said that....

Last week there is a crew sitting at the table. A well dressed crew. Engineers! Had the blueprints on the table...obviously talking shop. I asked one of the guys near our camp (he speaks fluent Spanish)...to ask them some questions concerning the new highway.

The strip under construction near isle el huerfanito ...is to be opened within two weeks.

The section to Gonzaga Bay is to be completed in mid Spring.

The highway completion to Mex1 will be done by 2012.

There are no current construction delays.

From my own sightings....

Impressive guard rails along the highway where truly needed.

New driveways being installed for many camps...using the old entrances (many complaints from owners that the "new" entrances were improper for them). Dirt fill is being used. Compacted by roller.

Camp signs going up! Didn't expect to see this happen. Looks like a highway in California now!

Concrete pillars marking ravines and dangerous off road areas...painted white for night time driving,

[Edited on 10-25-2010 by mcfez]

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2019 at 07:15 AM

Yup, a blast from the past
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 10-16-2019 at 07:58 AM

And the Goat was first to predict that it wouldn't get done on time,,,
how right he was !!!

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-16-2019 at 08:14 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  
And the Goat was first to predict that it wouldn't get done on time,,,
how right he was !!!

IT IS UNIVERSALLY ACKNOWLEDGED BY ALL, AND DISPUTED BY NONE: I AM ALWAYS RIGHT :light:

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 10-16-2019 at 08:45 AM

Are you sure it's not the other way around?

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.