Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 1963-2007 Auto Club Baja Maps: San Felipe South
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

thumbup.gif posted on 10-26-2010 at 03:38 PM
1963-2007 Auto Club Baja Maps: San Felipe South

1963 (the marks added are places we spent the night, in the 1960's):

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1975:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1978:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1980 (markings show the 1981 Baja 1000 and pit stops):

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1987 (markings show the progress of the new graded road from Puertecitos south) Pavement now heading south from San Felipe on new roadbed reaching Punta Estrella/ Punta Diggs area. (Also, roads to Valle Chico/ Matomi added in by me):

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1989 Pavement reaches Laguna Percebu, but wrong road paved on map:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1990 Pavement to Laguna Percebu road corrected:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1996 Pavement reaches Puertecitos:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1997 (I lined in roads to Valle Chico/ Matomi):

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2000 Pavement vanished last 10 miles to Puertecitos:

2001 Pavement mostly gone 30 miles north of Puertecitos:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2003:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2004:

2007 New Pavement again to Puertecitos:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2010 at 04:21 PM

The hwy south of San Felipe was paved past Matomi wash in Nov 1988. We raced the 1000 that year and hit pavement coming out of the wash. The year before they were still grading the road. With in 6 months to a year the pavement was full of pot holes.
Brian L
Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days

[*] posted on 10-26-2010 at 04:38 PM

Wow, AAA is really trustworthy. How can it change that much?

Brian
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2010 at 04:41 PM

How can what change?

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Brian L
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2010 at 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
How can what change?

It looks like they made mistakes frequently. I thought that was what you were pointing out.

Brian
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2010 at 04:49 PM

Oh, yes, nearly all published maps have mistakes... sometimes intentionally.
I could point out many errors on the auto club maps, but I mainly posted them here for mcfez... on the years pavement reached Puertecitos (on my Auto Club maps)... 1996 the first time and again in 2007 after the original pavement vanished and it was re-done.

[Edited on 10-26-2010 by David K]

Brian L
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2010 at 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Oh, yes, nearly all published maps have mistakes... sometimes intentionally.
I could point out many errors on the auto club maps, but I mainly posted them here for mcfez... on the years pavement reached Puertecitos (on my Auto Club maps)... 1996 the first time and again in 2007 after the original pavement vanished and it was re-done.

[Edited on 10-26-2010 by David K]

I learned about intentional map mistakes in GIS classes at SDSU. Funny way to keep people from stealing data.

Anyways, thanks for the maps, they are great to look at and see the changes!

Brian
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2010 at 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
The hwy south of San Felipe was paved past Matomi wash in Nov 1988. We raced the 1000 that year and hit pavement coming out of the wash. The year before they were still grading the road. With in 6 months to a year the pavement was full of pot holes.

I was south of San Felipe a lot each year in the 80's and drew maps of the progress...

Here is my map when they were building the new roadbed south, in 1982:

On my 1988 map, the pavement ended just past Punta Estrella... but perhaps that was early in the year and by November, it was at Matomi!? It was so thin, that they about painted it on... :lol:

mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2010 at 05:55 PM
You've out done yourself!

DavidK...I appreciate the time that you just spent doing this for me (and us). It's mind bending to consider the amount of data you have on Baja.

I've moved these maps onto a cd and am having Fedex do a pro print of them.

These old roads sure wiggle a bit during the years.

hey...was Campos Santa Maria one of the first camps to get established down south of sf?

[Edited on 10-27-2010 by mcfez]

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2010 at 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez
DavidK...I appreciate the time that you just spent doing this for me (and us). It's mind bending to consider the amount of data you have on Baja.

I've moved these maps onto a cd and am having Fedex do a pro print of them.

These old roads sure wiggle a bit during the years.

hey...was Campos Santa Maria one of the first camps to get established down south of sf?

[Edited on 10-27-2010 by mcfez]

THANKS!

NO... one of the early ones, but not the first...

In 1965, there was only 'Agua de Chale' (soon to become Nuevo Mazatlan) and El Coloradito ('Easter Camp') and Percebu (Persebu) was a fishing campo... also just north of Puertecitos was 'Corvina Beach'.

By 1970, the Madueña family had staked off the land surrounding what we called the 'lagoon' and named it Bahia Santa Maria.

Campo La Roca (Eduardo's) and other to the south soon followed.

Cliff Cross Map from 1970:

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2010 at 08:10 AM

["It was so thin, that they about painted it on... "]

Upon inspection I would say the asphalt pavement was about 1/4 inch thick and spread over a wide distance probably thinner in places. It's no wonder it didn't last. I've been watching the repavement here at home on the nearby city streets and it's at least 3 inches thick maybe more and that's for a street with a 30mph limit and no trucks over 8 tons.

I am glad the new paving on hwy 1 appears to be much much better, also the new hwy 5 paving. Maybe they learned if you do it right the first time it will last a long long time.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2010 at 08:32 AM

Exactly!

I heard that the original highway contractor was jailed for cheating the governmemnt.

The government's inspector also got into trouble because he never bothered taking core samples to check the asphalt thickness and instead of driving on it, he flew over the road and saw that blacktop reached Puertecitos and gave the OK to pay for the job!

Perhaps if he drove it, he would have never approved of those vados (dips) either!

SFLowTide
Junior Nomad

Mood: Waiting On The Sun

[*] posted on 10-27-2010 at 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
["It was so thin, that they about painted it on... "]

Upon inspection I would say the asphalt pavement was about 1/4 inch thick and spread over a wide distance probably thinner in places. It's no wonder it didn't last. I've been watching the repavement here at home on the nearby city streets and it's at least 3 inches thick maybe more and that's for a street with a 30mph limit and no trucks over 8 tons.

I was down there for most of the "paving" of the road. They would throw gravel over the rock bed (the rock road was so bad we used to use the old sulfur mine road) and then spray a mixture of oil and light tar over it and let it set for a day. We used to laugh and say that the government hired painters instead of blacktop contractors...
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2010 at 09:46 AM

I can remember visiting Percebu every christmas from 1959 to the late 60's. Guy named Indian Joe ran a camp on the hill there. Oh that road South of San Felipe, soooo easy to get stuck in the sand
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2010 at 10:07 AM
1962 Map/ 1965 Percebu story

Thanks for sharing that story Ralph.

Our first time at Percebu was during our return trip from Gonzaga ('65) when my dad wanted to check out Agua de Chale... we missed the correct road and got on the southern road to Percebu (Persebu on the map above), by mistake... just north of the sulfur mine. I recall it being a small commercial fishing camp, back then.

I remember a single large, square shade structure (high roof) where the fisherman worked/ lived when not at sea. One of the men showed us an octopus and put its tenticle on my mom's arm... She was startled at the suction cups.

At night, the fishermen put garlic cloves around where they slept... told us it was to keep rattlesnakes away!

We found the right road to Agua de Chale the next trip south and usually stayed there the following years... The owner (Luis) changed the name to Nuevo Mazatlan in 1966 to attract more turistas.

We did go to Percebu one more time in the 60's and drove to it once on the beach from Nuevo Mazatlan. The next time I went was in 1972, and a tourist camp with vacation homes was started... and the name changed to Laguna Percebu.

[Edited on 10-27-2010 by David K]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.