Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: The Campo La Costilla update
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2010 at 10:06 AM
The Campo La Costilla update

A great little spot that will surprise you!
Rock climbing, snorkeling, great shore fishing, decent cabanas (but a wee small), beach to play on, on site security. $12.00

First time in this cool little cove that can been seen off the highway. From Puetocitos south, the road has been improved considerably with pavement .About 6 miles pass Puetocitos. From San Felipe.....it's a hour 15 minute drive .....or so.

My first time there. It's always been had to find the access road....now the access is clearing marked with pillars on both sides of a new (?) entrance. Dirt packed, rolled surface. Nice! At the first lower part of this road.....security office (house) is in front of you on the above hill. Just go in and pick a spot...they will come to collect. For some reason...the entrance was tied off the next day.....I had to use the old road which is 700+ feet southward.

The camp is clean. Outhouse is okay...no water to flush with. Out house location: the road splits right before the cabanas....walk up that left split...you cant miss it. There is no fresh water. Beach small boat launch is perfect at high or low tides!

Trigger fish.....standing in front of the cabanas....looking south...there is a rocky point. Go there. Cast far. Oh.....use small rocks for your sinker....loss is high. Have patience with loosing the line...and you'll catch 3-5 pound triggers.

Supplies......in Puetocitos.....a small market has filtered water, ice, beer, very limited food and bath items. Should be gas by now at the service station .

This place has become one of my favorite spots for this area. For the family trip......go here!

cas.jpg - 44kB

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-27-2010 at 10:38 AM

PUERTECITOS :light::biggrin:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2010 at 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
PUERTECITOS :light::biggrin:

Not spelled that way in the Irish dictionary :lol:

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
Brian L
Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days

[*] posted on 10-27-2010 at 10:51 AM

What do you bring for camping in? Tent, trailer, rv?

I thought I say you write snorkeling in another post. How was it?

Brian
SFLowTide
Junior Nomad

Mood: Waiting On The Sun

[*] posted on 10-27-2010 at 11:19 AM

Love this place. Cast large krocidile from the rocky point and you can get sierra and even small barracuda. I found the the winds can really start whipping up in the afternoon though.
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2010 at 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by blane
What do you bring for camping in? Tent, trailer, rv?

I thought I say you write snorkeling in another post. How was it?

Any form of "insta house"....
Yes/ RV will have no issue (new entrance recommended).

Water clarity was good for a day till the winds came along. Water temps....warm enough for no skin suit or wet suit. Snorkeling off the rocks 25 feet....lots of fish and one treasure chest which isnt there any more :-) Good time of the year do do hiking too. Go!

SFLowTide ......leave my fishing hole alone...fish in Elk Grove :-)

[Edited on 10-27-2010 by mcfez]

Baja&Back
Senior Nomad

Mood: Rarin' to go South!

[*] posted on 10-27-2010 at 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez...and you'll catch 3-5 pound triggers.

Gawd! I can hardly wait. The taste of triggerfish (conchito). Mmmm good!:tumble:

Barry & Vanda
Baja and Back RV Tours
Vancouver BC Canada / Baja
http://bajaandback.com
Mexicorn
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2010 at 08:19 PM

Que Bonito!

Always looking over ones shoulder is no way to live.
Help stop the cowerdice involved in cyberbullying:
http://www.ehow.com/how_5270535_fight-adult-cyberbullying.ht...
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2010 at 10:21 PM

Senor McFez...since you just got back from the area and "the road" I was wondering about a few things (not to get off track since you mentioned the entrance from the road). When I was last down there a year-ish ago the road had quite the berms/curbs on each side meaning you couldn't just pull off anywhere like in the old days. One spot (speaking of fishing for triggers and sierra) is that wonderful beach in the dip right before turning towards Huerfanito...I know they built a bridge there but can you still access it? Are they making decent amounts of places to pull off on any of the old roads or are you kind of "stuck" with the ones they give you.

And finally for triggers...I'll never forget catching a nice five pounder in that area on really light tackle and finally brought him up to the rocks...as he neared he finally got off the hook and instead of swimming away, was SOOO peeED he turned right around and hit the Kroc again and I pulled him in. Let him go of course...I wanted more of that kind of attitude out there!
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2010 at 08:06 AM

"....loss is high. Have patience with loosing the line"

Triggers bite the line - use a steel leader.
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2010 at 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by redhilltown
Senor McFez...since you just got back from the area and "the road" I was wondering about a few things (not to get off track since you mentioned the entrance from the road). When I was last down there a year-ish ago the road had quite the berms/curbs on each side meaning you couldn't just pull off anywhere like in the old days. One spot (speaking of fishing for triggers and sierra) is that wonderful beach in the dip right before turning towards Huerfanito...I know they built a bridge there but can you still access it? Are they making decent amounts of places to pull off on any of the old roads or are you kind of "stuck" with the ones they give you.

And finally for triggers...I'll never forget catching a nice five pounder in that area on really light tackle and finally brought him up to the rocks...as he neared he finally got off the hook and instead of swimming away, was SOOO peeED he turned right around and hit the Kroc again and I pulled him in. Let him go of course...I wanted more of that kind of attitude out there!

There are several answers to your question here!

I noted that there is some bridges have dirt access roads near them. We went off road on one of these (I really think its the one you are referring too) and it went under the bridge to the open areas! Good road too....for now.

Some of the old access roads have indeed have berms/curbs intrusions. I found this: new access entrances are within a few hundred feet of the old.....this was done to access the general area roads. Most areas are still accessible.

berms/curbs: The curbs can be fitted with rocks/lumber/whatever to ramp it. We did it ...works well. The ditches....no chance of getting across on those unless one has a high truck.

Huerfanito has a boat ramp made of cobble stone...one can launch at high or low tide. Very slow going to do...but doable! It is however..in a private camp area. There is a guy there is a ex Marine......acting security. ...of the beach and few houses (north side of this camp)....give him a $10.00 bill and he is a happy ol boy. His dogs will growl at you..they are harmless. Fishing for Trigger is north at the rocky point......hooooooweee too!

Handy with mechanics too should you have a break down...he is the one to reach in that area.

[Edited on 10-28-2010 by mcfez]

[Edited on 10-28-2010 by mcfez]

redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2010 at 11:54 PM

Thanks!!! Nice to know you can ramp over the curbs if necessary. I lean on the side of cursing the new road though I certainly understand those for it. An old friend use to say that change is the only thing in life we can be assured of...but it still can pee me off, eh?

:tumble:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.