Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: SD to Rocky Point
Gaucho
Nomad

Mood: Bohemia por favor...

[*] posted on 11-1-2010 at 10:42 PM
SD to Rocky Point

I'm heading to Puerto Penasco for the first time. Can anybody tell me the approximate travel time from San Diego via the shorter route through San Luis Rio Colorado? Thanks.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 11-2-2010 at 05:48 AM

why???

I'm heading to Puerto Penasco for the first time.

nada there worth that drive.
go to san felipe it is way better.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-2-2010 at 08:03 AM

Are you going via the new highway parallel to the coast from El Golfo de Santa Clara?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 11-2-2010 at 09:06 AM

are you crossing border at Tecate and getting on toll road or crossing at Mexicali ? makes a big difference in driving time to get to San Luis :?::?::?:

[Edited on 11-2-2010 by durrelllrobert]

Bob Durrell
Gaucho
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2010 at 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
why???

I'm heading to Puerto Penasco for the first time.

nada there worth that drive.
go to san felipe it is way better.

Never been there either. I'll go there next.
Gaucho
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2010 at 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Are you going via the new highway parallel to the coast from El Golfo de Santa Clara?

I believe so David. Unfortunately my Baja Almanac doesn't show the entire route. I need to get a current N. Mexico map.
Gaucho
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2010 at 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
are you crossing border at Tecate and getting on toll road or crossing at Mexicali ? makes a big difference in driving time to get to San Luis :?::?::?:

Yuma to San Luis crossing.
Donjulio
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2010 at 09:47 AM

Quickest way is to drive 8 to Gila Bend, Arizona - turn right and follow the signs through Ajo and on to the border.
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 11-2-2010 at 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Donjulio
Quickest way is to drive 8 to Gila Bend, Arizona - turn right and follow the signs through Ajo and on to the border.

yep, quickest way. about 285 mi/ 4 hrs to Gila Bend, south on 85 past Ajo to Why, right through Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument to border crossing at Lukeville(about 81 miles total/ 1.5 hrs). Lukeville to Puerto Penasco is less than 1 hr more.

Bob Durrell
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-2-2010 at 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Donjulio

It sure looks like a hundred miles out of the way to go so far north and east of the destination (if you are from California or Yuma area)... ?

Have any of you compared that way to going south from San Luis to El Golfo then the new highway right into Puerto Peñasco?

Even shorter if coming from San Diego would be to go south from Mexicali to Hwy. 4 then east across the Colorado at Coahuila to Riito to El Golfo...

The new highway follows the railroad line, in the Sonora Free Zone map, below... (photos of the new highway have been posted on Nomad).

sonorafreezone.jpg - 39kB

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Gaucho
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2010 at 02:04 PM

Has anybody ever crossed at San Luis, AZ. then jumped on Mex. Hwy. 2 (East) to the border crossing at Lukeville and dropped down to Rocky Point from there? It looks like that would be the most direct route provided Hwy. 2 is in good shape.
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2010 at 02:54 PM

I believe it's shorter and with lots of new (1 year old) highway going via the new road south from San Luis RC.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Bajafun777
Super Nomad

Mood: Enjoying Life with Wife In Mexico, Easy on The Easy

[*] posted on 11-17-2010 at 03:26 PM

We did the motorcycle rally just a few weeks ago that was held in Puerto Penasco and we went through Mexicali since it is next to us in El Centro. Once out of Mexicali your on a toll road like road which they did not charge us going over but got us coming back.LOL This road takes you to San Luis and once out of San Luis your on the other toll road to El Golfo and then shoot straight across to Puerto Penasco. Note toll road from San Luis to Puerto Penasco about $8 dollars U.S. Well signed and would be hard to get lost as long as your watching the signs. Every bit of 4 hours maybe a little longer if traffic in Mexicali or San Luis holds you up. Take Care & Travel Safe. "No Hurry No Worry Just FUN, " bajafun777

k-rico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2010 at 03:35 PM

El Golfo to Rocky Point is a great drive. Do it!

Gaucho
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2010 at 03:42 PM

Thanks everybody!
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 11-17-2010 at 04:35 PM

If you are interested in speed, comfort, and saving money, I-8 to the junction and then south to Lukeville/Sonoyta would be hard to beat. Faster speed limit, no tolls, and I guarantee no "topes" (speed bumps). I've been there are done that got the t-shirt and secret whistle on all of the routes and if you "just want to travel in Mexico" that's one thing. The sonoran desert is pretty on either side of la linea. The route south of the border is just slower and more expensive, that's all.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-17-2010 at 07:18 PM

I cant tell you what my travel time was between Luis B. Sanchez and Puerto Penasco but you can certainly haul burro on it. No traffic and no cops. Great surface. There were no toll booths between the two. There were also no topes.:?: This was in May, 2009, after it had been open for a couple months.

I was expecting a more interesting drive but the highway actually keeps its distance from the Gulf for almost all the drive.

I really cant imagine any route being quicker from SoCal. I've heard that agriculture trucks can be an issue between San Luis and Sanchez, though. I havent driven that stretch.

I'd go I-8 to whatever gets you to SLRC and then down.

You WILL be disappointed in PP. Isn't everyone? Like Phoenix, with a beach. Well, not as big, of course. But just about as ugly.

Gaucho
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2010 at 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
I cant tell you what my travel time was between Luis B. Sanchez and Puerto Penasco but you can certainly haul burro on it. No traffic and no cops. Great surface. There were no toll booths between the two. There were also no topes.:?: This was in May, 2009, after it had been open for a couple months.

I was expecting a more interesting drive but the highway actually keeps its distance from the Gulf for almost all the drive.

I really cant imagine any route being quicker from SoCal. I've heard that agriculture trucks can be an issue between San Luis and Sanchez, though. I havent driven that stretch.

I'd go I-8 to whatever gets you to SLRC and then down.

You WILL be disappointed in PP. Isn't everyone? Like Phoenix, with a beach. Well, not as big, of course. But just about as ugly.

Thanks Hook. We're staying at a place about 20 minutes outside of town (Mayan Palace). This trip is all about relaxing and re-charging the batteries.
Gaucho
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2010 at 10:58 AM

Does Puerto Penasco fall into the "tourist zone" where you don't need an FMT/FMM for stays under 7 days?
nbacc
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2010 at 06:03 PM

I talked to someone today that was there last weekend and said it is as quiet as a mouse............I agree. San Felipe is much nicer.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.