Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5
Author: Subject: Scaring dogs with skyrockets
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 11-4-2010 at 02:27 PM

A dog's brain is fully developed at 7 weeks of age...Let's face it, he is not going to get any more brain capacity beyond that point. Rufus is as smart now as he's gonna get.

What you do with giving that DOG brain some learned behaviour from then on ...is up to you.

I start training my dogs at 49 days old...and keep on training foreverafter ... and I have never had a dog yet that shied from noise, be it hunter, family, or lap dog. I doubt I am just lucky...but hey, I could be at that. After all, I am in Baja, right?

It's not rocket science..and how good and what you do with learned behaviour is your decision...your responsibily as an dog/animal owner. If all fails, maybe the pooch will teach you....?

FIREWORKS!!

One of my fondest memories of fireworks was watching them from the front lawn of our lakeside cottage. My dad was out on the lake on a big raft... full of fireworks and a couple cronies. They put on a display that was seen ..and heard...for miles. Those skyrockets went arching up, up, up into the stratosphere I'm sure...the Oohhs and Ahhhs came with the floral starbursts and speckled carnations.

...then a wild screaming rocket would suddenly go zooming into the heavens at Mach 3......with a mighty....KA-BOOOOM! brought out the hoorays from the yard crowd....

.....ah, it was wondrous for small boy.

I went deaf at age nine...but smiled a lot...and still do. ;)

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Tbone
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2010 at 02:56 PM

Great post. I love to see all the pet perps freek out about someone lighting a firework. It's the end of the world for some folks. Talk about someone being kidnaped or killed and they say you are a "Chicken Little" the sky is falling, but talk of lighting a firework and you are now the antichriest. It's not all about sunsets, cactus and fish tacos, it also includes parties, tequila, friends and letting loose.

Mas Pacifico
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2010 at 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
A dog's brain is fully developed at 7 weeks of age...Let's face it, he is not going to get any more brain capacity beyond that point. Rufus is as smart now as he's gonna get.

What you do with giving that DOG brain some learned behaviour from then on ...is up to you.

I start training my dogs at 49 days old...and keep on training foreverafter ... and I have never had a dog yet that shied from noise, be it hunter, family, or lap dog. I doubt I am just lucky...but hey, I could be at that. After all, I am in Baja, right?

It's not rocket science..and how good and what you do with learned behaviour is your decision...your responsibily as an dog/animal owner. If all fails, maybe the pooch will teach you....?

Well, I guess we now have the final word on the subject--

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2010 at 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
Well, I guess we now have the final word on the subject--

What??? A final word on Nomad???
Never happen. :lol:
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 11-4-2010 at 03:38 PM

word.

knuckles
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2010 at 03:42 PM

Yeah, the Nomads love their Dogs.....

Our 5 year old Pit bull (who is the greatest dog who ever lived ;D) just started getting scared of the fireworkes a few months ago. He quitely slinks to the back bathroom.

Any insight Roger?

[Edited on 11-4-2010 by knuckles]

Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2010 at 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tbone
Great post. I love to see all the pet perps freek out about someone lighting a firework. It's the end of the world for some folks. Talk about someone being kidnaped or killed and they say you are a "Chicken Little" the sky is falling, but talk of lighting a firework and you are now the antichriest. It's not all about sunsets, cactus and fish tacos, it also includes parties, tequila, friends and letting loose.

u da man tbone!
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 11-4-2010 at 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by knuckles

Our 5 year old Pit bull (who is the greatest dog who ever lived ;D) just started getting scared of the fireworkes a few months ago. He quitely slinks to the back bathroom.

Any insight Roger?

Roger is going to tell you to bite your Pitbull and don't let him get away with that slinky sh*t.:rolleyes::lol:

knuckles
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2010 at 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by toneart
Quote:
Originally posted by knuckles

Any insight Roger?

Roger is going to tell you to bite your Pitbull and don't let him get away with that slinky sh*t.:rolleyes::lol:

Well I wouldnt have to "coddle and reassure" If the buttcracks would grow up and stop playing with dangerous and annoying toys! :mad: These guys are lighting them off in the condo tower off the balconies. Think really big echo. You would think they would get a talking to from the ......get ready for it.....HOA:lol:

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2010 at 04:39 PM

Ciao ragazzi, this me, Co-Pilot, not mi know-it-all-things Pompeino.

I write for you these thoughts.

Questa è l'ultima parola.

.."word"...

Capito?

Ciao baci baci...

RichBaja
Banned

[*] posted on 11-4-2010 at 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Let off that crap around my dog and you'll be trucked to the hospital.

LOL Dennis. You big tough guy that is looking for a hug. To whom do you go after when there is thunder in the sky? Dogs freak out even more at that.
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2010 at 05:27 PM
My beef here:

'.....I loves me skyrockets! Some dog owners do not like me. I try to announce that small explosions will be happening to whoever may be around. The way I see it...the more loud explosions dogs are exposed to, the more they'll get used to it. "

This guy has had issues with the neighbors over the dogs in the past. He therefor understands the dog's owner concerns. Most likely witnessed the dog's(s) discomforts. Yet...he don't give a rat's a--- about the situation.

"....Maybe I'm wrong"?
Just hoping that the majority of BN's agrees with him to justify his anti social behavior.

Pompano....I dont know who you are. You seem to be always very positive and intellect on this BNB. I seriously doubt that you are a sort of guy that would blast rockets if you saw the neighbor's dog going crazy.

I'm going back to the card game................

[Edited on 11-5-2010 by mcfez]

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2010 at 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by RichBaja
Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Let off that crap around my dog and you'll be trucked to the hospital.

LOL Dennis. You big tough guy that is looking for a hug. To whom do you go after when there is thunder in the sky? Dogs freak out even more at that.

I got a feeling that if Dennis approached you...you stick your tail in between your legs :o

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2010 at 06:14 PM

In the interest of full disclosure, you should all be advised that there is a distinct possibility that approximately one hour after sunset on November 11, 12 or 13, 2010, some explosions may occur in the air above La Bocana de Santo Tomas. There is also a distinct possibility of pretty colors occurring at the same time and place. This is neither a threat nor a promise, only a warning of the possibility of a potential event which may or may not happen.

No dogs and few if any humans other than those precipitating the potential event are predicted to be in the vicinity and if the potential event occurs, every precaution will be taken to protect any sensitive individuals present from harm or offense. Such protective measures shall include, but not be limited to, ear plugs or noise canceling headphones, soothing massage (not accupressure, which really hurts afterward), all the warm milk you can drink, aromatherapy, tons of smooth jazz, a raffle ticket for the door prize which I believe is a case of bubble wrap, a free year of psychoanalysis, and a guest spot on Dr. Phil or Oprah. If you were expecting hookers, forget it. This is a family operation.

These protective measures shall NOT be made available to any lizards, spiders, bats, starfish, mice, beetles, ground squirrels, sea urchins, mosquitoes, rattlesnakes, cattle, army patrols, shallow-swimming fish, butterflies, sparrows, crabs, kangaroo rats, flies, breaching dolphins, seals and/or sea lions, centipedes, vultures, frogs and/or toads, goats, mussels, census takers, tarantula hawks and their prey, rabbits, illegal aliens, scorpions, coyotes, gophers, ants (especially red ones), quail, crayfish, sand fleas, mud hens, drunken fishermen or DOPERS who may be in or wander into the area. They're on their own. If you fall into one of these categories and can read English, consider yourself warned, dude.

No animals or hookers were harmed in the creation of this message.

That is all.

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
bajabass
Super Nomad

Mood: Want to fish!!!

[*] posted on 11-4-2010 at 06:32 PM

I truly am pleased to know that no hookers will be harmed!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: Oh, will the whales be safe??
:?::?:

Keep your eyes on the road, and your hands upon the wheel!
estebanis
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2010 at 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
Co-Pilot wants a boxer..she loves that breed.

Hey Pompano,
Does that breed point or does it retrive? Maybe you can sell her on a good ol' Italian Spinone I have a pal that breeds them...:bounce:
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2010 at 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabass
I truly am pleased to know that no hookers will be harmed!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: Oh, will the whales be safe??
:?::?:

That is no surprise.

[Edited on 11-5-2010 by DanO]
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 11-5-2010 at 04:26 AM

Pompano, Had two or three Boxers. Great breed! Could not throw firecrackers near a female boxer we owned, she would actually snap them up, one of went of in her mouth, didn't seem to have any effect, of course it was only a small firecracker, not one of those M-80's or cherry bombs.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2010 at 05:59 AM

Cypress...I like boxers as much as I like all breeds. They just don't quite fit into my style of duck blind....

... but then I don't think Co-Pilot has hunting in mind. :rolleyes:

Her house dog in Rome was a boxer..and she misses him.

I miss my first dog, Blacky...a water spaniel.

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 11-5-2010 at 10:47 AM

Pompano, I see a boxer in your future.:lol:
 Pages:  1    3    5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.