Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Puerto Escondido Fire
capn.sharky
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2004 at 07:39 AM
Puerto Escondido Fire

Has anybody heard how the people are doing after the Tripui fire? Is the insurance paying to rebuild. Are the insurance companies acting in good faith? How about Alma, is she going to come out of this okay? Have they started cleanup yet? Curious minds want to know.

If there is no fishing in heaven, I am not going
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

Mood: missing Baja...

[*] posted on 8-5-2004 at 10:36 AM
Info for you

Tomorrow! Juanita and Rachel are on the way up to stay a month or so with us! She'll know what the haps are at Tripui and I know there is a lot of speculation about Alma "taking flight" because of legal problems. I'll post asap. Take care, Sally
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 8-5-2004 at 12:49 PM
Tripui fire

I spent the good part of tuesday with a friend who is still at Tripui, staying in the hotel. She plans to rebuild a tile roofed palapa and is looking forward to getting it completed. She always loved Tripui and still does. As far as Alma "taking flight" I believe that it is not true. She and Paco are cleaning up and plan to rebuild . Alma had some plans to build a hotel around the pool. The plans were beautiful and she has good ideas. I haven't spoken with her yet as I know that she is busy and stressed. Even though a lot of folks don't like Alma, I really like her. Its not easy to be a woman business person in this town. The more successful women in business are, the bigger b-tches they become in folks minds. Those same folks don't understand the huge responsibility of being in business here and the great hurdles that need to be overcome. And women have twice the hurdles that the men have. The tripui palm trees seem to have survived as there is top growth. The grass is coming back as are the fruit trees and the oleander. Tuesday was the first time I saw tripui after the fire and it is still overwhelming to take it all in. The trailer carcasses and burnt cars are being deposited on the property of Paco's industrial park. You can see them just to the north of the entrance of town on the west side of the road behind his building (near the radio station building). My friend's insurance still hasn't paid her yet but they tell her within the week she should get the money. she sent all of the papers to Mexico city which scares me, since everytime I've dealt with any tramite there it takes forever. So far no one that I know of has been paid by their insurance company.

[Edited on 8-5-2004 by flyfishinPam]
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

lol.gif posted on 8-5-2004 at 12:51 PM
Gringo Enclave = Drama !

Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 8-5-2004 at 02:18 PM

The insurance companies are going to pay. They are not the problem.

Word is the lease for Tripui with the Feds in a Fed zone held by Alma and her brother explicitly states use for the the purpose of a travel trailer/RV camp site for tourists. Therefore, the building of permanent structures and the selling of "shares" to own your spot under those structures violates the letter of the lease? Licenciados are on the case, vultures are soaring, the gringos are restless and legally helpless and Tripui as it was is gone forever.

flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 8-5-2004 at 04:31 PM
rumors...

...Alma and her brother?? You mean Paco?!

Hey, if its posted on the internet it must be true!
capn.sharky
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2004 at 04:53 PM
Thank You, Pam

That was a good report on the Tripui situation. I too, am a friend of Alma's as I support all her good work with the alcohol and drug addicts. She is very well though of by most local people that I have met. I don't think of any of you as b-tches---but I am not of Mexican decent. I am glad to hear that the insurance companies are paying as I had heard of a small clause that could have precluded payment---or at least given them an out. As for the tile roof---I am not sure that can be done in a federal zone. I was under the impression that only so-called temporary structures were allowed. That would be of palapa type construction. Your report clears things up for me as I have been worried about all of our friends, including Alma, at Tripui. It has only been about six weeks since the fire. By the way, I think it would be really great if the Mex. govt. would modify their requirement on the temp. structures and allow a safer type of roof. The are very rustic looking, but are extremely dangerous to live under---as well as dirty. A friend of mine, Pete Sloanaker, brought fire breathing equipment and fire suits to Loreto so the bomberos could get inside a burning house and get the old people and children out of there. I believe he is getting some newer equipment for the bomberos later this year. I can't believe the palm trees survived the intensity of that fire. Lastly, if it is on the internet it must be true? I know that was tounge in cheek. As a part time Loreto citizen, I have become like a Missourian....if I don't see it myself, I don't believe it.:)

If there is no fishing in heaven, I am not going
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2004 at 10:19 PM
That clears that issue up! NFM

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2004 at 07:10 AM

From what I read about this fire, it started up fast and blew through the area fast. Thus, saving the main part of the trees and only burning off the branches. That's very good news that they are coming back!
Bob H:yes:

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2004 at 08:10 AM
What happened to the guy

that was doing the BBQing?
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2004 at 08:57 AM
J.R.

It wasn't a Bar-b-que but a stove-top fire. The couple were asleep in the trailer when this happened and Chris Pearson saw fire and woke them.No one was injured. For the whole story check out Juanitas "whats happening" On the elfuerte website. Sally
Cyndarouh
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2004 at 09:20 AM

What a Blessing no one was hurt! I do hope the insurance pays up. Here in our burnt area of Sth. Ca. (most)Insurance and building inspectors are a Night Mare!! I wish every one the best.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2004 at 09:24 AM
Miraculous!

Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 8-6-2004 at 05:21 PM
What I don't understand...

...is that if this is/was a federal zone and if only temporary structures are allowed, why would Alma be putting so much time, energy and money into constructing a permanent hotel structure consisting of two buildings with 16 units each?? she's not a stupid woman. is it true that it is a federal zone and nly temp structures are allowed??

Fly fishing Pam

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2004 at 05:42 PM
Don't know down south for sure

but if the same rules apply in Baja Sur as Baja Norte it is not in the coastal federal zone.
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2004 at 09:08 PM
Don't know yet!

Can't say anything until Mija Y Mi Ninieta gets here. Lots of hard work to be done here on this house but I will try to get what info she has and share it with my Nomad friends! p.s., stories to follow! Thanks Pam for all your concern and reports, G MamaSal

[Edited on 8-7-2004 by Sallysouth]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

shocked.gif posted on 8-6-2004 at 09:17 PM

Here's Sally's two daughters... don't they look like movie stars? Maalaea and Juanita (who is on the right):

[Edited on 8-7-2004 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Sallysouth
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2004 at 09:28 PM
David!

That was sweet but now you 're embarassing me! I'm the Mom, Gramma,but we don't want to miss the point here, which was........ .........OK, I forget! I'll post what info I can squeeze out of Juanita and maybe some new pics. Bessos, Sal:saint:
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2004 at 09:32 PM
You have't seen my other daughter!

And you think these two are "stars"!! More to come for the "amigos"! :O Pics are on the way to be sent to you nuts!( luv ya)!:lol:

[Edited on 8-7-2004 by Sallysouth]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

shocked.gif posted on 8-6-2004 at 09:37 PM
There's THREE???

My important question... Is she single???:o;D:yes::tumble:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.