Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: air compressor
lewm
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2004 at 10:57 AM
air compressor

Which is the best plug-in air compressor to refill my 3/4 ton truck tires after a run down a rough road?
fishinrich
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2004 at 02:15 PM
air

I use a unit made by a company called--quick air. My unit is permenently mounted and is attached to an external air tank so I always have 120psi of air available. This makes reinflating my large tires a snap. They also make a portable unit for around $350.00. fishin rich
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2004 at 02:46 PM
I use a Auto Zone

$29.95 12 volt truck compresser. I use it constantly and it still works. The difference is, I have two dogs to spend the 1/2 hour - 45 min. with as the tires fill up.
My brother uses a dive tank and gets plenty of fills in his big ol 16" tires. He also uses C02 or something that doesn't expand with elevation changes but that seems a little extreme to me.
If you have the money like fishin"rich", his set up is the best way to go!:lol:
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2004 at 05:13 PM

If you can't or don't want to spend the bigger bucks look for a truck/SUV portable compressor at the auto stores like Kragen and auto Zone. They put out a little faster than the smaller car types.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-5-2004 at 05:32 PM

What about that compressor at Home Depot everyone was raving about a few months ago, for fifty bucks? I think it was in the tool department for air tools, but worked great for big tires.

I have used the cheap cigarette lighter pump like JR, for years. To reinflate from 15 psi (deep sand running) to 30 psi takes about 7.5 minutes per tire (2 psi per minute) with my 265/70-16" tires.

In the 'old days' we used the engine compression pump sold at Dick Cepek's... It was muy fast, but required removing & replacing a hot spark plug and the compression air pump device. Sometimes we would forget to stick the spark plug wire back on, and drive a ways with less than full power!

I recall that, with my Jeep... it had the big AMC 401 V-8, so it took awhile for me to even realize it was running a bit rough! That was back in my teen years... we lived so wild then... LOL!

[Edited on 8-6-2004 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mcgyver
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2004 at 06:59 PM
Air Compresors

I have one of those spark plug compressors under my seat, just in case!
With my 4 cylinder Geo you will have no problem remembering to put the wire back on.

Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 8-5-2004 at 07:39 PM

Harry Lewellyn has measured the output/fill time for several compressors and the cheap =$40 TruckAir from Kragen etc., came out well.

For more performance, try the Viair 400C.
http://www.viaircorp.com/

The fastest way to go is the compressed CO2 bottles advertised in the 4wd magazines.

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2004 at 06:59 AM

power tank.com rich is right on!:coolup:
lewm
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2004 at 08:32 AM
compressor

Thanks for the info. Quite a price range. We have a new Home Depot in town. I'll check there unit. co2 seems to be the way. A lot of refills in one tank.
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2004 at 07:55 PM

I have used the plug-in type 12V compressors for years, Have one in each vehicle I have here in Baja. I also cary a spark plug replacement type with me. Can you say redundant? thats me.

:biggrin:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-7-2004 at 08:28 PM

You know Lou, I think that guarantees you get invited on EVERY exploration trip anyone takes from El Dorado, verdad?

I hear you have saved the day on more than one occaision. Even the one day I traveled with your small caravan, you repaired a buggy with a bad coil or loose wire.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2004 at 10:14 PM

Well I do make most of the trips. And I have 4 ammo boxes of VW parts. But even with all this, I have to admit "Everyone gets towed sometime"

:biggrin:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 8-12-2004 at 12:49 PM

I have a Firestone pump with a 1/2 gallon air tank (~$150). Fills the tires up quickly. I highly recommend the hard mount units: Quick Air I - III, Firestone, etc.

Also have a backup cig lighter pump (TruckAir, $40) that is slow and has to cool down after filing up two tires, also draws so much current it sometimes blows fuses....This was my pre hard mount unit

[Edited on 8-12-2004 by Taco de Baja]
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2004 at 02:23 PM

Use a propane tank. they sell regulator/hose kits for about twenty bucks. Works with the old style tanks which you can't use in the States but can get filled anywhere here.

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2004 at 02:38 PM
Dave

How many tires will one fill? I even have an extra one of those!
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2004 at 03:06 PM
Dave?

"use a propane take"? Please explaine
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 8-12-2004 at 03:30 PM
Propane tanks

....the easy way to "blow-up" tires.....
:fire: :lol: :fire:

Actaully, I think they just fill them up with comperssed air, just like a SCUBA tank. At least I hope so....:O
fishinrich
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2004 at 03:49 PM
propane do bueno

Forget the propane tank!!! It does not hold enough air. You can only put around 150psi in one 5 gallon tank. That would not be enough to blow up two 285-16 all terrain's from 12psi back up to 40psi and then you would need to refill the tank!!!. I am against any of the tanks that you have to carry around becuse they have to be refilled and I guarantee they will run dry just when you need it. The 12V compressors are the way to go, Just buy a quality one and you will have years of trouble free air----fishin rich
mcgyver
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2004 at 05:43 PM
Air Compressors

My Mexican neighbor has converted his auto AC compressor to pump air? Must be something on the www about this.
I also saw a bull bumper that was constructed to be a air tank.
fishinrich
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2004 at 07:28 PM
no air

The only problem with converting your a/c pump is you no longer have a/c in your vehicle. It is easy to do, just disconnect the high pressure hose coming out of the pump and attach an air line, keep engine running and you have air but you are no longer cool!!! fishin rich
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.