BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  14
Author: Subject: MIKE YOUNGHUSBAND/ DON-KAY NEEDED ASSISTANCE, but not anymore!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 06:03 PM
MIKE YOUNGHUSBAND/ DON-KAY NEEDED ASSISTANCE, but not anymore!

Got home, checked email, alerts every 5 minutes coming fropm Mike's SPOT device.... Here is the first message , which automatically repeats every five minutes:

Younghusbands spot
Latitude:29.57756
Longitude:-115.32463 GPS location
Date/Time:11/19/2010 15:36:40 PST
Message: I need assistance! I will call the closest person, if I cannot call, expect a call from from Alice or Tammy

I called Graham, and talked to Bonni... Graham is broken down in Mulege waiting for parts from Constitucion to arrive.

Tammy is Mike's daughter...

Mike is in a very remote place, he hiked up a canyon away from the coast towards the mesa...

Here are the Google images close to farther up, then one looking south.

There is a road onto the north part of the Mesa de San Carlos from Hwy. 1 at old El Progreso, near Mision San Fernando... but not one to the south mesa, below which Mike is located.

Edit: There is a closer road up to the mesa from the Punta San Carlos road... see the maps and images added on Nov. 20.

[Edited on 11-20-2010 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BornFisher
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 06:08 PM

Thank God for that Spot device. Hoping all will be O.K. with Mike and DonKay (and Graham)!!
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 06:23 PM

Can assistance be sent from El Rosario and/or one of the fishing villages?

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 06:26 PM

what town is closest to him now ???????????? anyone here in Mexico that I can call who is closer than we are (La Bocana) ??????

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Got home, checked email, alerts every 5 minutes coming fropm Mike's SPOT device.... Here is the first message , which automatically repeats every five minutes:

Younghusbands spot
Latitude:29.57756
Longitude:-115.32463 GPS location
Date/Time:11/19/2010 15:36:40 PST
Message: I need assistance! I will call the closest person, if I cannot call, expect a call from from Alice or Tammy

Let me know if I can be of assistance. The Rubicon is Baja-ready and I have no obligations until Thanksgiving Thursday.:!:

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 06:28 PM

Mulegena - maybe someone in Mulege can lend Graham a car ???? He knows the way like the back of his hand .... seems like the BEST person to go ...

Come visit La Bocana

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 06:31 PM

get Ed Lusk on the trail.

BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 06:31 PM

David - I just walked in the door, turned on the PC and read this. Do you have any more info? I figure that I am probably about a 90 minute drive from Mike and would be glad to take off right now and help but it would help if I knew what to do / bring???

I'll send you a u2u...

Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 06:34 PM

Agreed, Blanca. I'm not in Mulege now or would be already on the run. Can you call Mike and Roz? No one on my Skype contact list is online at the moment.

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGringo
David - I just walked in the door, turned on the PC and read this. Do you have any more info? I figure that I am probably about a 90 minute drive from Mike and would be glad to take off right now and help but it would help if I knew what to do / bring???

I'll send you a u2u...

Hi Ron (and others).. The SPOT device only has emailed me what I posted... and that same email is coming every 5 minutes. No other info. sadly...

Here are the maps... I will look at Google to if there are any roads on top of the Santa Catarina Mesa... The San Carlos Mesa road is the only one I know about... and Neal Johns has been on it years ago.

Blanca... he is between the fishing villages of San Carlos and Santa Catarina... closest town is El Rosario.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGringo

I'll send you a u2u...

What about the Mexican authorities? Gees, I hope he is OK

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 06:48 PM

BajaGringo is right - what to take ??????? what is the emergency ???

snake ?? scorpion ?? Send me a number via U2U, Mulegena and I will call.

[Edited on 11-20-2010 by BajaBlanca]

Come visit La Bocana

astrobaja
Senior Nomad

Mood: beam me up

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 06:49 PM

Before anybody does anything we need to know exactly what the problem is, is it a vet emergency with the donkey? If it is the best thing to do is to let the animal rest with food & water.

\"There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.There is another theory which states that this has already happened\"

Douglas Adams

our website: http://bajadarkskies.com
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 06:50 PM

Looking at the map and on Google Earth, that area (it appears) can only be reached on foot. Mike will need more help than my 4wd can bring. Let me start calling some local contacts to see what I can round up...

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 06:54 PM

David - I think we should call ANTONIO - Baja Cactus and see what he suggests ....

Come visit La Bocana

BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by astrobaja
Before anybody does anything we need to know exactly what the problem is, is it a vet emergency with the donkey? If it is the best thing to do is to let the animal rest with food & water.

That was my first thought as well but the fact that an alert continues to be broadcast every 5 minutes tells me we should take this seriously. I would rather we err on the side of caution - that is a very remote area Mike is in, the night is cold and it is windy down that way right now...

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by astrobaja

No way to know... no satellite phone, only an automatic signal with two levels of outgoing message...

I need to go back to my email and see if anything different is there.

He looks to be 1.7 miles up that arroyo from the coast... It appears that instead of following the coast, he decided to head for the mesa... but who knows why? The closest road is to Santa Catarina Landing, but that is at the base of the mesa. The next road is on Mesa de San Carlos... about 10 miles away. He is about 6-7 miles as the crow flies from Santa Catarina.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
David - I think we should call ANTONIO - Baja Cactus and see what he suggests ....

Antonio is in Las Vegas...

BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 07:00 PM

I just spoke with the local San Quintin police and after telling them the story they asked me to head over with all the info. They said they will try and help us coordinate with folks from El Rosario to put together a group to reach Mike.

Will get back with more info when I have it...

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 07:01 PM

I know, but Antonio is surely the most competent to tell us how to proceed - the army can go .... or he has contacts who can at least go by boat - our coop has vigilantes who comb the shores by boat - maybe those villages close by have someone who can go ???

I think Antonio can help.

Come visit La Bocana

Pages:  1    3  ..  14

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.