BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  14
Author: Subject: MIKE YOUNGHUSBAND/ DON-KAY NEEDED ASSISTANCE, but not anymore!
BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 07:02 PM

Nice work! Thiis goes beyond the B.S.
Nomads unite! Blessings to all involved.
Keep us posted for needs.
Lionel
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 07:04 PM

Ron is on top of things... The Solo Sports Guy (at Punta San Carlos) who was with Mike can be contacted if necessary...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Ron is on top of things... The Solo Sports Guy (at Punta San Carlos) who was with Mike can be contacted if necessary...

That's good to hear. I'm curious to know what sort of emergency has taken place. Hopefully, it is a false alarm.

astrobaja
Senior Nomad

Mood: beam me up

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 07:07 PM

Good that the authorities are involved Ron! without knowing what has happened its hard to know what to do. But a 4 year old donkey is quite young to do such a trip loaded pretty heavily it seems. We have 20 years of experience with horses/animals and it takes time (years!) for an animal to build endurance just like a human athlete. A donkey if its exhausted will lie down and refuse to move. If this is the case he needs to abandon most of his supplies and let don kay rest! Lets hope its not a medical emergency with Mike!

\"There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.There is another theory which states that this has already happened\"

Douglas Adams

our website: http://bajadarkskies.com
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 07:09 PM

couldn't happen in a worse place. now let's hope the rescuers do not become victims in their haste to help.....

good luck Mike!

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 07:09 PM

way to go BajaGringo. and really, thank God Mike has the spot device. Praying he is OK.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 07:10 PM

Heading out the door - will post when I know more...

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGringo

We will be waiting, and keeping positive thoughts for a positive outcome. :yes::yes:

Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 07:15 PM

Blanca, check your u2u for Mulege contact info.

Thanks Everyone, Maria

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGringo

This dude BajaGringo is a hero at the very least.

Can donate money if required to help out the guy.

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 07:17 PM

BajaGringo to the rescue!!!!!

The spot just transmits "911" type alert,... unfortunately does not tell you what the nature of the "911" may be.
BajaRat
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 07:20 PM

Theres a big Windsurfing camp and some residents on Punta san carlos, internet access and everything. Looking for PH# now.
Lionel
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 07:26 PM

the thing about the solosurfcamp is there is no road to Mike's spot. a boat can get there, but then what, in the dark?

bad stuff happens in the worst places...........

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
BajaGringo to the rescue!!!!!

I've been on the end of one of Ron's offer to drive 90 miles just to help us.
He is very capable and true blue; I'm betting on him !

It appears that Mike would have followed the coast until he headed up the aroyo he is in, from the beach. If so, they had quite a trudge through deep sand/silt and then quite an uphill climb to where he is now. About 11-12 kilometers today following that path. This could have been their most strenuous day.
BajaRat
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 07:35 PM

Just spoke with Kevin at SoloSports....said that Mike and Don-Kay were there recently, and that there is no road or 4WD access in that area. Said that Mike had talked about taking an inland route. Kevin is on the case and is making contact right now with Punta San Carlos residents. Please don't be fooled, this is no 90 minute drive, even from El Rosario. Kevin said he will post here shortly. I suggest that we wait for the people who are most familiar with this area and not make any hasty moves.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 07:37 PM

I called the guy at solo in the states and he will email san carlos

good news - he says the military flew out and rescued some surfers on an island last year - he will try to find out how that came about as well

things are moving but I feel like my hands are tied. wish I could do more....

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 07:40 PM

oh man....we just drove like hell to get home from Vizcaino to try to mobilize help for Mike after receiveing a call from Graham's wife a couple hours ago.

The spot device automatically goes off every 5 minutes but we stopped getting the messages at 4:30, there were 10 repetitions.

Does anyone know how mike sends the spot messages? is there a keyboard of sorts? can he send more detailed info?? If it is not life threatening, someone can hike in with some supplies, water, meds...I dont understand why he didnt provide more info...lesson to learn there!!! Do we organize an emergency evacuation or just get someone to check on him...not an easy task.

What we need to know is if someone has already called the military who would be the best ones to get to Mike via helicopter or hiking in...they are prepared for this...can someone give me a phone number of who may be organizing a rescue...Ron's number??? MIke's wife?...we dont want to confuse the issue...because we dont know the nature of the problem it's hard to know how to respond. I wish we had set out perimeters for this before in the event of something...for example a colour code...code orange for send someone in...code red for helicopter rescue or something like that. From the message, it doesnt sound life threatening...perhaps something wrong with Don Kay or water supply was stolen by coyotes, or sprained ankle or something like that.

Ron could you please let us know what the plan is? thanks

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaRat
Theres a big Windsurfing camp and some residents on Punta san carlos, internet access and everything. Looking for PH# now.
Lionel

The caretaker met with Mike and Don-Kay a couple days ago... I am betting he will see this soon. I do have the cantact details for Solosports sent to me from a Nomad... Nothing the caretaker can do tonight... But help is on the way... I hope the big rain misses the area.

The automatic messages arrived in my email starting at 3:36pm and came every 5 minutes until the last one at 4:30 pm.

If I get anything new, I will post it right here... I will check my email before crashing for the night... then first thing when I wake in the morning.

Hat's off to Ron (BajaGringo) for going into action.

I was going to post on other forums, but no need to with Ron so in control... If needed, we can get help from some of the Baja 1000 race teams retyurning north, perhaps... But, I think Ron has things handled.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 07:46 PM

David: did the "help" or the "911" button get pushed. If "help", then he is probably not in physical danger. If "911" then he may be, but also the Central dispach in Huston, I think, would have been notified and they would be working with 'local' rescue folks. I'm guessing that the 'help' button has been pushed given the way you have reported. This would indicate he is not in life threatening danger but needs help in order to get out of what ever situatin has developed.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
oh man....we just drove like hell to get home from Vizcaino to try to mobilize help for Mike after receiveing a call from Graham's wife a couple hours ago.

The spot device automatically goes off every 5 minutes but we stopped getting the messages at 4:30, there were 10 repetitions.

Does anyone know how mike sends the spot messages? is there a keyboard of sorts? can he send more detailed info?? If it is not life threatening, someone can hike in with some supplies, water, meds...I dont understand why he didnt provide more info...lesson to learn there!!! Do we organize an emergency evacuation or just get someone to check on him...not an easy task.

What we need to know is if someone has already called the military who would be the best ones to get to Mike via helicopter or hiking in...they are prepared for this...can someone give me a phone number of who may be organizing a rescue...Ron's number??? MIke's wife?...we dont want to confuse the issue...because we dont know the nature of the problem it's hard to know how to respond. I wish we had set out perimeters for this before in the event of something...for example a colour code...code orange for send someone in...code red for helicopter rescue or something like that. From the message, it doesnt sound life threatening...perhaps something wrong with Don Kay or water supply was stolen by coyotes, or sprained ankle or something like that.

Ron could you please let us know what the plan is? thanks

Shari... I think it is covered well by Ron... The Spot device has only three transmitting options:

1) All Okay, here is where I am.
2) Having a problem, standby.
3) Send Assistance.

I have been getting the #1 message every day until today.

The value of a satellite phone really becomes clear in this type of situation.

Pages:  1  2    4  ..  14

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.