BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5  ..  14
Author: Subject: MIKE YOUNGHUSBAND/ DON-KAY NEEDED ASSISTANCE, but not anymore!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Santiago
David: did the "help" or the "911" button get pushed. If "help", then he is probably not in physical danger. If "911" then he may be, but also the Central dispach in Huston, I think, would have been notified and they would be working with 'local' rescue folks. I'm guessing that the 'help' button has been pushed given the way you have reported. This would indicate he is not in life threatening danger but needs help in order to get out of what ever situatin has developed.

Hi Jim... I posted the entire message I got... and it was sent for almost an hour every five minutes.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 07:54 PM

DK-

We're crossing the border at 5:00 am tomorrow....let me know if there is anything we can do. We had planned to go to PSR but our schedule is open. I will check the computer before we leave. U2U me if you need my number.

zac

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 07:56 PM

10-4 Zac... Just read Nomad before you go, I will post anything that could be important here. You and your family have a safe trip!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 07:57 PM

this is the message I got....

"Message:I need assistance! I will call the closest person, if I cannot call, expect a call from from Alice or Tammy"

I was just wondering if this is a prerecorded message or if he has a way to type in a message...if he can type it is...he is fine but just out of telcel territory and needs some assistance....I'm feeling a bit better now thanks to all the notices here...way to go Ron.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 08:01 PM
SPOT DEVICE

Features of SPOT include:

Alert 911, to dispatch emergency search and rescue responders to the device's location

Ask for Help, to request help from pre-defined contact(s) such as family or friends

Check In, to transmit a location message to pre-defined contact(s)

Track Progress, to periodically transmit and save the device's location for viewing on Google Maps. This requires the account holder to have purchased the optional continuous tracking subscription.

Roadside Assistance, In January 2009 Spot announced that beginning Spring 2009 users will be able to purchase road side assistance for $29 annually.

Messages are sent to email addresses specified by the account holder, and optionally to SMS messages within the USA. The descriptive text of the various messages can be customised by the account holder.

The device will repeat transmission of its emergency messages at predefined interval until the user cancels the emergency, turns off the device, or until the batteries run out.

SPOT's transmission ability is one-way only so the device is unable to give the user confirmation that a message was successfully sent, or to allow the rescue service to talk to the user to determine what the situation is.[

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 08:06 PM

so he is in need of help. maybe the mexican govt can gleen some positive press with the rescue of another crazy gringo.

now let's hope Mike stays put, builds a shelter and catches a break with the rain that he doesn't know is coming.......

bad place for a breakdown! suerte!

Curt63
Super Nomad

Mood: Fish tacos and Tecate

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 08:13 PM

Do any Nomads out there have connections to SCORE, Honda or other major race teams with a helicopter?

I'm guessing celebrations could be in full swing in La Paz at this hour, but....

There could be an American helicopter crew somewhere that could respond.

No worries
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 08:19 PM

I think we should wait for Ron to get back and see what transpired ... sure wish Graham was online though ... and an American copter wd sure be nice. like, right now, but I still worry about the animals 'cause you can't really just leave 'em there.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 08:20 PM

Great point... too bad we don't know the nature of the emergency or if the signal stopped being transmitted because he no longer needs help??? I hope to see the normal I am okay message again...

Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 08:22 PM

Hi--This is Bonni, not Graham. He is not aware of the problem with Mike yet--as David said he is stuck in Mulege. (Two bearings were being replaced in our tranny today.) Graham gave a program at La Jungla the other day and maybe someone knows where he is and can notify him of the situation. (Anyone living near Tom and Patti Higginbotham??)

I think the SPOT only allows 2 generic messages, OK and otherwise. I tried calling Mike at 4 this afternoon and he has no cell coverage. I called his daughter Tammy right away as she was out so had to go home to get his messages. She called me back and said a fellow who was on Mike's personal response list is on his way, though she did not know where exactly he was coming from.

You folks are great for all your concern and effort. If I hear anything I'll post again. Thoughts and prayers for Mike tonight!

[Edited on 11-20-2010 by Graham]

[Edited on 11-20-2010 by Graham]

BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 08:25 PM

Hello...as much as I am inspired by BajaGringo's gung-ho save Don-Kay spirit, we need to remember that he is in San Quintin...and we have made contact to people within quading distance who are aware of the situation and know where his last location was, according to the SPOT transmission. I have confidence in the San Carlos community to conduct the search and evac if necessary.
Lionel
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 08:40 PM

ok. I called the Taylors in Mulege and they will contact the Higginbothams now and let Graham know what is going on.

Here in La Bocana, the pangueros travel up and down the coast all night long guarding the coastline. If they do this up north as well, then for sure they know the coast like the palm of their hands and can hike up to see what is going on .... I am guessing the police can radio them. Question is, do they have GPS?

[Edited on 11-20-2010 by BajaBlanca]

Come visit La Bocana

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
SoloSports

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 08:41 PM

I've received a couple of phone calls regarding Mike and Don-Kay needing assistance.

I have emailed my camp in Punta San Carlos but have not heard back yet. I may not hear anything until morning. I told my camp host to ask the local fisherman for help. Mike did meet some of the local San Carlos fisherman on his way through.

For their remote location I can only recommend trying Celia Diaz with BEMCC (Binational Emergency Medical Care Committee)

http://www.mexfish.com/apgs/bemcc/bemcc.htm

619-425-5080

Good Luck and I will do whatever I can. Thanks, Kevin Trejo
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 08:50 PM

Kevin - thanks for posting and welcome to BajaNomads. One day in the future, al of us wil lhave satellite phones and contact will not be an issue.

@ Lionel - this was the BEST thing (calling San Carlos) you could have done and I was about to do it myself !!

[Edited on 11-20-2010 by BajaBlanca]

Come visit La Bocana

BajaRat
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 08:56 PM

Thanks Kevin for posting, sorry for welcoming you to Baja Nomads under these conditions, especially to a true Baja explorer. I'm sure everyone is relieved you and your local folks are on the case. Keep us posted and can't wait to visit next fall with the Fam.
Lionel
BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

Mood: Helpful

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 09:00 PM
Search and rescue...

I can assemble and send a search and rescue party from BajaCactus as soon as there is daylight tomorrow Saturday 20th, 2010.

Please let me know if this is needed to coordinate my staff and friends as soon as possible.

Antonio M.
BajaCactus

BajaCactus
"Where Baja is so much more than a dream..."
BajaRat
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 09:09 PM

Thanks BB.
Lencho, these are hard core Baja souls who truck water in all the way from El Rosario. Senor, the Mule and Pero are in good hands. Lets expect good news in the morning. Thanks Kevin, Aquamen, Aquawomen, and the San Carlos Community.
This IS Baja in action.
Lionel
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 09:17 PM
Antonio

No doubt you've seen BajaGringo's post that at 6:10 p.m. he was "out the door" apparently heading south from San Quintin toward perhaps Puerto Santa Catarina - then once at the coast he'd have to go on foot to the north. At least that is what I gathered from his messages.

Just FYI

John M
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 09:29 PM

John M, to clarify BajaGringo's point of action, his last post tonight speaking to the Nomad community:

"I just spoke with the local San Quintin police and after telling them the story they asked me to head over with all the info. They said they will try and help us coordinate with folks from El Rosario to put together a group to reach Mike.

Will get back with more info when I have it... "

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 09:31 PM

wow I hope they are Ok... Thanks to all the people involve Nomads and No Nomads....

BAJA IS WHAT YOU WANTED TO BE, FUN,DANGEROUS,INCREDIBLE, REMOTE, EXOTIC..JUST GO AND HAVE FUN.....
 Pages:  1    3    5  ..  14

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.