BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4    6  ..  14
Author: Subject: MIKE YOUNGHUSBAND/ DON-KAY NEEDED ASSISTANCE, but not anymore!
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mulegena
John M, to clarify BajaGringo's point of action, his last post tonight speaking to the Nomad community:

"I just spoke with the local San Quintin police and after telling them the story they asked me to head over with all the info. They said they will try and help us coordinate with folks from El Rosario to put together a group to reach Mike.

Will get back with more info when I have it... "

And since he has met Mike and friends, I am sure BajaGringo has that sense of personal connection and will really go for it! Contacting the Mexican authorities seems appropriate as they know who to contact and the territory. Thinking positive thoughts for Mike and friends.

[Edited on 11-20-2010 by DianaT]
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 09:38 PM

When someone goes missing in these parts, the first people notified are the proteccion civil...who are people who LIVE in the area...also as Blanca mentioned, the vigilancia in the area are extremely knowledgeable about the area along the coast...even where there are no roads, they have trails they make and take daily and know every little arroyo as they patrol night and day in trucks and pangas...they know more about accessing the area than the military who arent from the area....antonio would know who to contact...glad to know everyone is on it and hope for the best...good luck to everyone.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 09:54 PM

Patti Higginbotham just relayed this message to me in Mulege. As Bonni said I had a transmission problem and have been waiting here to get it repaired... work completed and was about to assess it on journey back north tomorrow.

As mentioned above, Mike's SPOT device has two levels of assistance required. One is the simple need assistance and the other is the more urgent SOS. Sounds like he just needs some kind of assistance rather than being in an immediate life threatening situation. I believe he can activate the SOS signal at any time. The good news is he hasn't done that.

I'll check in to get the latest tomorrow before I leave Mulege. Thanks for all those in a better position to get to his location and find out what the problem is.

SoloSports

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 10:19 PM

I spoke with my camp host (Neil) in San Carlos and he is waiting until morning to ask the local fisherman for assistance. We have set up most of the local Punta San Carlos fisherman with GPS so it should be no problem to send a boat out and hike up to the coordinates. I've instructed Neil (who also met Mike and Don-Kay when they passed through) to wait for my commands in the morning on what to do so any new information will be be greatly appreciated from the Nomad's. Also Neil is monitoring the posts here on the Nomad site.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 10:21 PM

As I look at the map and his location it's clear that he's in a position where he can't go forward. The path along the shoreline was to rough for him and his mule. So he headed inland to get on the mesa. But now he's close to the base of the mesa and realizes that the walls are too steep to ascend.

It seems to me that he is in more of a situation of having to turn back to San Carlos than possibly in any immediate danger. Perhaps he doesn't have the provisions to go that far back.

From the looks of things the last 2-3 days have been hell for him and the route along the coast was undoable. So he turned inland hoping to continue his journey south along the mesa.

So perhaps he's not hurt or had an accident. Just got himself into a very difficult situation.

All this is conjecture based upon where he is, how he got there, and where he intended to go.

Personally I think it's more of a call for help out of fear and exhaustion. Maybe a bit of panic.
SoloSports

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 10:30 PM

Of course I'm new to the site and there may very well be a good reason for the times of posts being well ahead of our local time. Just trying to figure out some of the timing of information here.

Anyway I think with the help of Antonio M and Neil from SoloSports camp in Punta San Carlos we'll be able to head out and find Mike and Don-Kay first thing in the morning.

Antonio if you want to head to the fish camp in Punta San Carlos and organize with the fisherman I think that would be the smartest thing to do. Neil will go to the fish camp after hearing from me in the morning.

I've read a couple different GPS coordinates here on the posts so can someone please give me the last coordinates received from Mike's SPOT please.

Thanks you, Kevin Trejo/Solosports
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SoloSports
Of course I'm new to the site and there may very well be a good reason for the times of posts being well ahead of our local time. Just trying to figure out some of the timing of information here.

Anyway I think with the help of Antonio M and Neil from SoloSports camp in Punta San Carlos we'll be able to head out and find Mike and Don-Kay first thing in the morning.

Antonio if you want to head to the fish camp in Punta San Carlos and organize with the fisherman I think that would be the smartest thing to do. Neil will go to the fish camp after hearing from me in the morning.

I've read a couple different GPS coordinates here on the posts so can someone please give me the last coordinates received from Mike's SPOT please.

Thanks you, Kevin Trejo/Solosports

Hi Kevin,

Nothing new as of 9:45 pm tonight... the GPS assistance needed message was:

Younghusbands spot
Latitude:29.57756
Longitude:-115.32463 GPS location
Date/Time:11/19/2010 15:36:40 PST
Message: I need assistance! I will call the closest person, if I cannot call, expect a call from from Alice or Tammy

The location was plotted on Google Earth and then onto the 2003 Baja Almanac map, and I posted them at the start of this thread.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SoloSports
Not sure what time you need it to be on, but I've now adjusted your account to be on Pacific Standard Time (PST; -8.00 hours) instead of Greenwich Mean Time (GMT; which is the default if you don't change it).

Doug

(edit to correct from daylight to standard pdt to pst)

[Edited on 11-20-2010 by BajaNomad]

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 11:24 PM

Gotta give Mike a lot of credit for attempting that route.

Cojones grandes.
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2010 at 12:34 AM

Wow, I am praying!
Barbareno
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2010 at 06:46 AM

What time does it start getting light out?
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 11-20-2010 at 06:50 AM
Sunrise

Quote:
Originally posted by Barbareno

Today for San Diego it's about 6:22AM

http://www.sunrisesunset.com/calendar.asp

[Edited on 11-20-2010 by bajaguy]

solosancarlos
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2010 at 07:21 AM

it's been light here for 30 minutes
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2010 at 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGringo
I just spoke with the local San Quintin police and after telling them the story they asked me to head over with all the info. They said they will try and help us coordinate with folks from El Rosario to put together a group to reach Mike.

Will get back with more info when I have it...

Thinking Ron headed south, hopefully with help, or we'd have heard back from him already.

SoloSports

[*] posted on 11-20-2010 at 07:41 AM

Solosancarlos is my camp host Neil in Punta San Carlos
Neil is organizing a panga to go and find Mike, Don-Kay and if I have my facts correct his dog Solo.

The only other option is to call Celia Diaz with BEMCC (Binational Emergency Medical Care Committee)

http://www.mexfish.com/apgs/bemcc/bemcc.htm

619-425-5080

I do know Celia was able to organize a Navy helicopter to rescue a couple big wave surfers from Isla Sa Jeronimo last year.

Good luck to all and Neil is a very capable person as well as all of the fisherman in Punta San Carlos! Good Luck!
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 11-20-2010 at 07:44 AM

swell situation in SD (same at San Carlos) is about chest high funkyness with the rainstorm sitting right offshore.

Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2010 at 07:59 AM

When I hiked this coast I also had to go inland to cross the big mesa. Awkward, difficult terrain. It was tough on foot with a backpack, climbing up and down on coyote trails. There is a good reason there's no road here. It will be even tougher for Mike with the loaded burro.

I suspect he's stuck and running low on water. He will certainly need WATER and lots of it for him, the burro and dog. Two or three gallons a day. This was always going to be one of his hardest stretches... maybe the hardest. With water he can figure out a route. The burro could have fallen and crushed his water containers.

Anyway, it would be great if a panga could get to him, find out how he is and bring water. And if he's OK, maybe carry some of his gear to Puerto Catarina if he's able to carry on. Then he'll have a road to guide him most of the rest of the way down the coasts.

I'm driving north from Mulege today. Will check in at San Ignacio on the internet later.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-20-2010 at 08:10 AM

Just got online and there is no new emails from Mike's SPOT device.

SoloSports (Kevin) and solosancarlos (Neil), thank you for your help... Kevin, when I saw your email you had already figured out how to get on Nomad... good job!

lencho, the decimal degree GPS is from Mike's email alert. The decimal minutes GPS is what I read off Google Earth when I put my mouse on his location... so being 20' off is probably correct. He is next to the main arroyo midway between the beach and the mesa top, so he should be 'easy' to find. Unfortunately, this is about the only part of his trip not along on close to a road.

It is a rainy day here in Oceanside, so I will likely be close to the computer and provide whatever I can on this end.

Again, thank you everyone for your assistance to Mike!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2010 at 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
Quote:
Originally posted by Barbareno

Sunrise

:lol:
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 11-20-2010 at 08:19 AM

I think perhaps it is a burro related problema as well and/or water issue. When I saw the photos of the burro taking an unplanned break laying down, it looks as if Don-Kay is weak and as mentioned, the last few days have been even harder on him...maybe he needs a break at a nice resort!!!
Looking forward to the report that they have located and assisted Mike.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
 Pages:  1  2    4    6  ..  14

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.