BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  6    8    10  ..  14
Author: Subject: MIKE YOUNGHUSBAND/ DON-KAY NEEDED ASSISTANCE, but not anymore!
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2010 at 01:08 PM

Good news. :cool:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2010 at 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SoloSports
As you can see I was going to let Neil make the post as he found Mike and deserved to let you all know but I see some of you just can't wait for his report so there you go. KT~

Thanks, Kevin. You guys run a good program down there. It could have been a mess without your efforts.
solosancarlos
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2010 at 01:09 PM

Ok so we all deserve a big round of applause for the team effort that went into locating Mike & Co. this morning. If it weren't for David K's google map and Kevin deciding on the best course of action this could have been a major cluster f@ck.
The discussions and teamwork here was invaluable. Thank you everyone !

So here is the condensed version:

Early this morning I made a copy of David's Google earth map indicating his last reported position. I packed water (5 gal), food/first aid, GPS and headed down to the local fish camp. Radio'd on the VHF and Alfredo responded and came to the beach right away. Apprised him of the situation and within 15 minutes we were steaming down the coast. Very fortunate as the seas are down and the wind is light.
After nearly 20 km we came towards the arroyo that hits the beach below Mike's last coordinate and there they were. He had moved down the arroyo next to the beach. Good move Mike !
Mike and Co. had run out of water. Don-Kay had gone on strike and they all were exhausted from this extremely challenging section of his journey. He told me that our arrival was like the coming of Christ. he had to rub his eyes and make sure he wasn't seeing things.
He is in great spirits now and definitely recognizes he is responsible for actions but he didn't expect how tough this section would be with a burro. Hiking it on his own would have been easy compared to towing a burro he said.
He says hello to everyone and wants us to know that HE THANKS US FROM THE BOTTOM OF HIS HEART and is fortunate that technology is what it is today. Wihout a doubt, on his own with no chance of aid, he would have been in big trouble.

The humor of the morning was that when I told him of the potential weather to the North(may or may not rain here) we laughed hard that "It figures it might rain right after water is delivered to him !"

So he is about a 6 miles to the first of many fish camps on the coast and hopes he can make it by days end. He has water to keep Don-Kay, Solo and himself going for a 3-4 days.

It was the best I could do and I will continue to monitor his position at the end of today. He was reminded not to forget the end of day position.

Feliz Viente Noviembre ! Viva la Mexico !

Best regards,

Neil at Solosports
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2010 at 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by solosancarlos
It was the best I could do
Neil at Solosports

Who could ask for more. It was a heroic effort by all concerned.
That goes for you too, David.

When the goin' gets tough...the tough get goin'.
SoloSports

[*] posted on 11-20-2010 at 01:14 PM

You da man Neil! I'm way stoked to have you on my team! Well done! KT~
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 11-20-2010 at 01:17 PM
Baja Gringo

Now how do we recall Ron???????

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 11-20-2010 at 01:18 PM

for the record, next time someone may be in the area and needs assistance, what is/are the vhf freq's monitored or used by the campo?

BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 11-20-2010 at 01:19 PM

Awesome! Nomads rock!

BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2010 at 01:20 PM

YIPPEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!! Great work all around! Props to the rescue team!!!
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2010 at 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
Now how do we recall Ron???????

Ohhh Sheit....he might be out there stumbling around the hills.
OK....I'm going out for a box of beer for the follow-up drama.
krafty
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2010 at 01:29 PM

what wonderful news-If I ever get in a bind I want you Nomads on my team! Great effort!
windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2010 at 01:31 PM

Incredible journey. Incredible compadres.

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-20-2010 at 01:31 PM

Great news... I will share Neil's report on the two other forums (Fred's board and Ron's Talk Baja)...

So, it was only a water thing and the burro isn't sick?

Why did he go up the canyon away from the beach?

Thanks Neil!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2010 at 01:32 PM

SO GLAD TO HEAR THIS - WONDERFUL NEWS
Should make a great chapter in the book. Great job, Neil - you're awesome.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 11-20-2010 at 01:39 PM

so much for staying put when you request help. i guess his only hope of rescue was by sea, so why not get down to the water and then set it off?

let that be a lesson to others when they become lost. you hear it all the time.... "STAY PUT!"

[Edited on 11-20-2010 by woody with a view]

KASHEYDOG
Senior Nomad

Mood: SO MANY TACOS, SO LITTLE TIME... Gotta Go, See ya there....:bounce:

[*] posted on 11-20-2010 at 01:42 PM

PEOPLE :fire: This isn't over till we've heard from Ron ( Bajagringo ). He may be out there looking all over and wind up having problems himself. Anyone heard from him since last night..:?:.:?:

Don\'t mess with the old dog...... Age and skill will always overcome youth and treachery! Brilliance only comes with age and experience..... :smug: .... :P .... :smug:
Are you getting the most out of life OR is life getting the most out of you ?? :?:

Twenty years from now you\'ll be more disappointed by the things you didn\'t do then the things you did.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 11-20-2010 at 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
GREAT !!!

Ditto. I can't wait to hear what happened.

fandango
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2010 at 02:07 PM

ron was heading to the policia in san quintin, they were then going to coordinate with el rosario.

david k, can you contact antonio and have him contact policia in el rosario to check on ron's whereabouts?

we should try and find him.

sbwontoo
KASHEYDOG
Senior Nomad

Mood: SO MANY TACOS, SO LITTLE TIME... Gotta Go, See ya there....:bounce:

[*] posted on 11-20-2010 at 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fandango
ron was heading to the policia in san quintin, they were then going to coordinate with el rosario.

david k, can you contact antonio and have him contact policia in el rosario to check on ron's whereabouts?

At 6PM last night he was talking about a 90 mile drive to look for Mike. I've not seen anything about him since..:?:..:?:..
Where is he??? Lets not forget about our first responders.

Don\'t mess with the old dog...... Age and skill will always overcome youth and treachery! Brilliance only comes with age and experience..... :smug: .... :P .... :smug:
Are you getting the most out of life OR is life getting the most out of you ?? :?:

Twenty years from now you\'ll be more disappointed by the things you didn\'t do then the things you did.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-20-2010 at 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fandango

As Antonio is in Las Vegas or ?, I cannot get a hold of him. I only have his Tijuana and El Rosario land line numbers, not his cell phone. I am sure he will see the thread here for the latest news... Baja Nomad is the center of this information exchange.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pages:  1  ..  6    8    10  ..  14

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.