[*] posted on 8-9-2004 at 02:53 PM
Oh wait, make that 2 kinds...

Quote:
Originally posted by jrbaja
Only one kind stays clean though.:lol:

senor pumpwire

smile.gif posted on 8-9-2004 at 10:23 PM
Axle types

Hi Germanicus, the axle that can move on one side of the vehicle without raising the other is called Independent suspension. They have traditionally been used on non driven front wheels in the USA. Of course now they are commonly used in front wheel drive vehicles and SUVs. Only 4wd pickup retain the solid drive axle and even many of the 1/2 and 3/4 tons now use IFS(Independent Front Suspension). The axles on the mogger and humvee? are called portal axles. This denotes an axle where the the driving member does not enter the wheel hub at the center line. By offsetting the input halfshafts upward there is more ground clearance and usually there is a gear-reduction too. HTH,Dave.
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2004 at 11:36 PM
Portal Axles

When the HumVee first came out, I read an off-road magazine describing the axle system as "reducers" as seen on swing axle (pre '68) VW Buses.

Germanicus
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2004 at 06:53 AM

Portal Axles, YES that was the word I was looking for.
First introduced by the early Unimogs in (not sure) 1952 or so.
Now the Humvee is using the same systhem - which is damn smart for an off road vehicle.
If I see the jeeps or other so called off-roader, body work high to higher the gravity point, but the axle still at the same spot hahahahahahah!
The portal axle is the ONLY way to go if it comes to really serious off-roading as only the portal axle makes higher ground clearing.
Thank you guys for your input and the correct word!
My English sometimes is more a Slanglish
Have fun by not going straight - I mean not driving on the road.
Germanicus
senor pumpwire

[*] posted on 8-10-2004 at 09:32 PM
Slang and Jeepin'

Hi Germanicus. No need to apologize for slanglish. as long as it aint in formal or academic setting I say bring on the slang!! Its just that those of us who do use it have to remember to translate for those who speak normal English, LOL.

As for Jeeps, sometimes body lifts are required to allow full use of axle articulation. Some rockcrawlers use two feet of front axle articulation and 1.5 feet in the rear to go places no MOG or HUMV could ever dream of going--and that is before they break out the winch cable. Next time you are in a c-store look for a 4wheel and offroad or similar mag and check out the new generation of extreme trails like jackhammer/sledgehammer/etc and the jeeps and other vehicles who run them. For example most of the street legal rockcrawlers worthy of the name and and all the trailer queen rockcrawlers could drive in and out of Mission St Maria (aka mission impossible-by Catavina) in REVERSE with out even breaking a sweat. (Unless they had not upgraded their front ujoints or axle spline count-most have). For that kind of stuff a near stock toy with a marlin crawler could probably do it in 31 or 33 inch tires. Judging by the photos!
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2004 at 09:38 PM
Actually,

I was thinking of meeting DK and the gang there with ice cream and tv. Right out of the van!:lol::lol::lol:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-10-2004 at 10:44 PM

That would be great!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Markitos
Nomad

Mood: let me check

[*] posted on 8-11-2004 at 07:47 PM

Jr. How on earth do you keep icecream in your van?? After a few days out I cant even keep the ice cool. Does it draw much on your battery? Can a little solar panel keep up? ICECREAM-N- BAJA !!! WOW OH WOW :tumble::tumble::tumble: PLease let me know what your using in your rig! Just the thought puts a smile on my face!

All that wonder are not lost
Germanicus
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2004 at 09:25 PM

jr got a 'freezing' humor.
don't you know?
maybe 'down to earth realistic' is the keyword > lets some people gets freezin'.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2004 at 09:03 AM
Ice cream in the van

First, I use two deep cycle marine batteries. Then I use an oversized alternator. Then, I installed a 2500 watt power inverter. Then, a dormitory sized 110 volt freezer.
I have a battery isolating system from Switzerland and I use worm drive Skil Saws and all power tools as well as the freezer and TV/VCR.
Using my power tools constantly, I have to start the van for 1/2 hour about 3 times a day to recharge the batteries.
It is by no means the best solution as the freezer sucks up a LOT of juice. So, it's either Ice Cream or power tools. Not both!
I understand that a very large solar panel would work to recharge the batteries but definitely not the small sized versions.
I'm still looking into that.

But, I must say, there is nothing quite like visiting some of these remote villages where they feed you the best of foods and reciprocating by turning on a movie and sitting around with the people eating ice cream.:lol:
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2004 at 08:32 AM
More on Hummers

in the "image is everything dept.":lol:

We have new neighbors who have a hummer. They bought it to come down to "the Baja" in.:lol:
They asked me aboout a trip down south and I recommended some areas to see some of the "real" backcountry Baja.
"How are the hotels" is what I heard! I explained to them that there basically aren't any in the hills but along the coast in the cities there are plenty.
"Well, I guess we won't be seeing the hills then". hahahahahahahahaahahaha
I asked why they bought the Hummer if they didn't like to camp or explore.
" To come to the Baja in " :lol::lol::lol::lol:
Cyndarouh
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2004 at 09:28 AM

The self cleaning switch might malfuction. I have yet to see one with dirt on it. My question is can I get the cleaning thing set up in Outback? With our water shortage and having to wash it in the city it sure doesn't stay clean even with out going off road. Well see you Monday JR.
Markitos
Nomad

Mood: let me check

[*] posted on 8-14-2004 at 10:07 AM

The dirt just kind vibrates off my jeep.

All that wonder are not lost
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.